Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-20, 13:47   Link #1022
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
So I will be going in December
Same here, I am going with a friend in December, touring the central country before Christmas, and then stay for a couple of months in Tokyo.

Anyone planning to visit comiket?

Does Himeji castle worth visiting now that is under massive renovation works?

Last edited by Malkuth; 2012-09-20 at 14:18.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-23, 15:52   Link #1023
thankonomics

If any of you intend on visiting any spots in Kyushu, I'd highly recommend visiting Sasebo. I grew up on the military base there for 13 years. And I miss Sasebo burgers. I have to say, since I moved back to the US, no burger can top Sasebo burgers. There's a particular burger shop that I'd recommend called Hikari.

Sasebo's also about an hour away from Nagasaki and Fukuoka. Definitely check out the Peace Park in Nagasaki. If you're more into shopping, I'd say to check out Canal City in Fukuoka.
thankonomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-27, 14:16   Link #1024
Solafighter
Hige

Another reason, why i love Japan.

Spoiler for photo:
Old 2012-09-27, 22:47   Link #1025
Malkuth
Banned

Isn't it dangerous to obscure the view from the rear windshield
Old 2012-10-01, 22:25   Link #1026
willx
Nyaaan~~

Okay, finally got a few of my April 2012 Japan trip pictures up.. only a few though, the fiance hasn't "approved" the rest of them yet..

Picture quality isn't as good as yours, Sola, we're using a 5+ year old point & shoot

The view from our deck at the ryokan I stayed at in Hakone:
Spoiler for Ryokan:

Multi-coloured cherry blossoms in Shinjuku Gyoen in Tokyo:
Spoiler for Wide / Cropped:

Temple & Street near my hotel / Tokyo Tower:
Spoiler for Tokyo:
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-01, 23:23   Link #1027
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solafighter View Post
Another reason, why i love Japan.
I wouldn't be surprise if some otaku will jump on the car and hugs it... wiping their face on the side crying Mio Chan!!!
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-01, 23:47   Link #1028
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Gorgeous pics, everyone!

Being freshly a Ph.D student, I hope to gather enough cash within a few years to have my first trip in Japan soon.
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-15, 20:35   Link #1029
Seitsuki
Onee!

Will probably be visiting Tokyo mid Nov. with family on a trip. Suggestions? Recommendations? What sort of stuff is there to do there?
Old 2012-10-15, 22:41   Link #1030
willx
Nyaaan~~

Ooh! Excited for you! Although now that I think about it Tokyo was not my favourite place when I went to Japan in April .. Maybe the natives can chime in on top of me..

From what I saw, I can recommend Shinjuku Gyoen (gorgeous), Tsukuji Fish Market (interesting, but I wouldn't spend too much time there, you can also eat there, way in the back) and Akihabara, Ginza, Shibuya and Roppongi Hills just to see the sights .. Are you going to be with your family most of / the whole time?
Old 2012-10-15, 23:02   Link #1031
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seitsuki View Post
Will probably be visiting Tokyo mid Nov. with family on a trip. Suggestions? Recommendations? What sort of stuff is there to do there?
Anywhere with a maid cafe.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-16, 03:34   Link #1032
Seitsuki
Onee!

I would rather die before dragging my Onee san and father into a maid cafe. I probably actually would die. Or at least be dead to everyone important to me. I'd like to preserve my life thanks orz

Will: I guess we can travel around. I remember you could get rail passes or something? I think I can also stay a bit longer personally, but I don't even really know what I'd like to do. The last time I was there I was in Tokyo for an evening. My sis is interested in food, anything along those lines? And general sightseeing? And what would you recommend for accommodation if I was by myself?
Old 2012-10-16, 05:22   Link #1033
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
I would rather die before dragging my Onee san and father into a maid cafe. I probably actually would die. Or at least be dead to everyone important to me. I'd like to preserve my life thanks orz
You have an elder sister? Sume-nee is jealous, she wants you to make her your first.

Actually you should bring your family to one, they aren't that bad or dirty as they seem (at least over here that is). Though I am worried that your mum might stab your dad to death with a table knife for looking at one of them.

I always wanted to visit the Isonokami Shrine in Nara. You may want to check the place out if you are interested in esoteric spirituality, i.e principles/paths of life.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-16, 13:08   Link #1034
willx
Nyaaan~~

@Seitsuki / Saintess -- Don't worry about ogling the maids at the cafes / in Akihabara -- most of them are unattractive

If you're going to be staying in Tokyo, it's unlikely that the JR Rail pass will be worth the money, especially as they don't give you access to the Tokyo subway lines (non-JR) .. but if you'll be travelling around prefectures via the shinkansen at all it might be worth a look at one of the passes (http://www.jrpass.com/ - I'd say look for a good local authorized supplier)

With regards to sight seeing, accommodations, etc. it depends somewhat on your budget, but there's lots to see and do -- but it depends on what you're after. I'm less familiar with budget/capsule/hostel hotels so I won't opine on that. I personally was only there for 3 full days and only caught a glimpse of the various neighborhoods .. which was enough for me for that one trip as we were also seeing Kyoto and Hakone and trying to take it all in and relax. Heck, I randomly went to a Leonardo da vinci exhibit at Bunkamura just cause!

FYI, I went through my emails and found a "destination guide" that my credit card concierge put together for me, maybe it'll be helpful for sights/attractions:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qoxab71lj9...20Infinite.pdf
Old 2012-10-21, 03:24   Link #1035
Seitsuki
Onee!

Welp, change of plans. Now looking for a tour around 15th-20th Nov ish. (We'll be staying a bit longer after but apparently they don't like the idea of being stuck in one city for a week. Go figure.)

Anyone know any good ones?
Old 2012-10-21, 03:48   Link #1036
Malkuth
Banned

Historical -> Gifu/Nagoya, Himeji, Takahashi

Religious -> Kyoto, Nara, Kamakura

Scenic (in winter) -> Hokkaido, Nagano, Kanazawa

Contemporary (sub-)culture -> Tokyo (Shibuya/Roppongi), Osaka

Otaku (not just anime/manga) -> Tokyo (Harajuku/Akihabara), Osaka (Den Den Town)

Last edited by Malkuth; 2012-10-21 at 05:42.
Old 2012-10-21, 08:52   Link #1037
Azuma Denton
~AD~

This is the reference video i used when decided to visit Japan last April...

Kansai area featuring Golden Pavilion Temple, geisha in Gion, Fushimi Inari, Kiyomizu Temple, Ryoanji Zen rock garden, the giant buddha of Todaiji, and the bamboo forests of Arashiyama.

Greater Tokyo area featuring Shinjuku, Shibuya, Harajuku, Roppongi, Asakusa, Tsukiji fish market, Meiji Shrine, Rainbow Bridge at Odaiba, Tokyo Tower, Yokohama, Mount Fuji, Lake Kawaguchi, and Nikko world-heritage shrines.
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-21, 09:29   Link #1038
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Welp, change of plans. Now looking for a tour around 15th-20th Nov ish. (We'll be staying a bit longer after but apparently they don't like the idea of being stuck in one city for a week. Go figure.)

Anyone know any good ones?
Are you talking about guided tours? Cause then I have no idea..

When I went to Japan, I did Tokyo->Kyoto->Hakone->Tokyo and did it in 10 days.. I lost a day due to flights flying from North America though..

PS: I think Himeji is still being repaired/maintained, so maybe check.. Don't want to just see scaffolding..

Last edited by willx; 2012-10-21 at 10:03.
Old 2012-10-21, 10:00   Link #1039
Solafighter
Hige

Looks like my traveling in July and August was very efficient. I have been to about 85% of all these places. Like these vids, btw. Very well done.
Old 2012-12-06, 20:47   Link #1040
Malkuth
Banned

After paying a visit to my Nr.1 and 2 sites in Tokyo...

image links redirect to the albums

Yoyogi park (代々木公園)

Meiji Shrine (明治神宮)

Tags
japan, travel