AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-05-06, 10:18   Link #181
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

I somehow don't see Shirow Masamune of all people trying to make fat/stumpy characters. I think that goes more towards the character designer of the show.

I actually think it's sort of cute but it's a bit weird how their necks and all are GIGANTIC.

As for the show itself, it's like Ghost in the Shell: Underwater. It sort of reminds me of some SeaQuest episodes where they delve into entire memories and worlds through underwater visual interface. Just real strange.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-06, 12:02   Link #182
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

In all honesty, I love the female character designs. Like, absolutely love it, since I personally prefer females with a bit more meat in their bones than your typical anime girl. Aoi is just perfect IMO lol, personally need more characters like her.

That said, I really can't get into story at all. People have been comparing this show to others, but I personally was found sleeping through my friends' GitS marathon, and SeaQuest I found only amusing because of the stupid dolphin lol. This show, while the premise is certainly interesting, the way they present it certainly isn't to me. Big lack of romance also doesn't help to hold my attention.

Maybe one day when it's finished (and when I'm bored XD), I'll try and marathon it to see if I can finish it that way. But as of now, I consider this dropped, which is such a shame since Aoi is so friggin cute.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-06, 18:20   Link #183
Ashlotte
Clockwork

I don't mind the rather "Healthy" character designs for humans, but it seems kinda odd to use them for robots like Holon...Is it she needs more "Space" for internal hardware?

Ah geez still its a mildly entertaining show...The BGM is kinda irritating at times, but thats just a minor gripe in the end mostly..

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"

Last edited by Ashlotte; 2008-05-06 at 21:25.
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-06, 18:57   Link #184
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I'm not sure why I enjoyed this episode, but I did.
Spoiler for episode 5:
I think it's the animation and character designs, and the personalities of the characters, that attract me. Kawasumi Ayako is making a real android for me. Takahashi Hiroki's Souta is a nice combination of tough, not quite mature, physically attractive, and kind. And Minamo is both an unsophisticated schoolgirl and a strong woman. The chunky character design gives her a certain strength. But I also think she and Holon are quite beautiful. In the Tang-Heian style, lol.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-06, 19:18   Link #185
dahak
Utu Class Planetoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
whats up the big breasted naked women in episode 3? She seems to poking around for some info after her nookie session.
IIRC she's the UN Secretary General.
dahak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-06, 20:09   Link #186
mikesince83
AnimeSuki Freshman

Anything below the surface?

I feel like this series has some exceptionally creative and original aspects, but is presenting them in a rather bland and predictable fashion. This last episode (four) was the worst so far, suffering from a borderline formulaic plot. One can only hope it won't become a trend for the remaining episodes. I love the animation and while adjusting to the big boned body style was a slight challenge, it's nice to see a deviation from the hyper unrealistic female physique that dominates the animation industry (my current sig is a prime example the aforementioned standard).

I second Kimichi's thoughts on the BGM as well. At times the classical music works very well, at others it just sounds strange (around 17:32 for example). It could also be a placement issue. At 16:08 there's a decent upbeat track playing while Souta is escaping, but for some reason it ends leaving an awkward silence as he is chased by some gun toting thugs. I'll wait a bit longer before making a final decision on this issue however as I'm still not sure how I feel.
mikesince83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-06, 22:27   Link #187
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichobi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles
Also, what's up with the girls being HUUUUGE in this show? I mean, from top of their heads down to their feet. The guys are all normal or the stereotypically super-thin-chic, and the girls are just... HUGE.
Usual for the main artist doing this show. Remember Gigantic Formula?....
I know I'm kind of late with this, but I wondered who you were referring to at the time and have now tried to look this up and can't find anyone on the visual side of this show who worked on Gigantic Formula -- not the art director or the character designer, and I see no animation director credited. Who were you referring to? Or did I misunderstand?
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-07, 01:50   Link #188
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
In all honesty, I love the female character designs. Like, absolutely love it, since I personally prefer females with a bit more meat in their bones than your typical anime girl. Aoi is just perfect IMO lol, personally need more characters like her.

That said, I really can't get into story at all. People have been comparing this show to others, but I personally was found sleeping through my friends' GitS marathon, and SeaQuest I found only amusing because of the stupid dolphin lol. This show, while the premise is certainly interesting, the way they present it certainly isn't to me. Big lack of romance also doesn't help to hold my attention.

Maybe one day when it's finished (and when I'm bored XD), I'll try and marathon it to see if I can finish it that way. But as of now, I consider this dropped, which is such a shame since Aoi is so friggin cute.
GiTS and SeaQuest and coincidentally this show, Real Drive is definitely an acquired taste. I actually thought Ghost in the Shell was almost unnecessarily into the techno/psychobabble too much and Real Drive sometimes comes close. And the weird human/machine interface of SeaQuest was pretty off the charts weird as well. Definitely not for everyone, I'd admit.
Old 2008-05-07, 08:31   Link #189
ichobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I know I'm kind of late with this, but I wondered who you were referring to at the time and have now tried to look this up and can't find anyone on the visual side of this show who worked on Gigantic Formula -- not the art director or the character designer, and I see no animation director credited. Who were you referring to? Or did I misunderstand?
I have no precise names on this. But looking from the two series character design I can be certain that it's the same artist. May be people around here could point you to the right names. I could be wrong.
ichobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-07, 12:13   Link #190
Goofus Maximus
Senile Member

The girls aren't huge, they're just... rubenesque, huggable handfuls... Only the one teenaged sidekick qualifies as being actually chubby.

Actually, this anime get's the proportions a great deal closer to reality than is usual. I was getting tired of the weirdly proportioned girls sporting artillery rounds under their tank-tops anyway (Sekirei anyone?)

Last edited by Goofus Maximus; 2008-05-07 at 20:38.
Goofus Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-08, 03:35   Link #191
ichobi

Or you can call them "Chunky"
That's cute.
ichobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-08, 06:43   Link #192
rainrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichobi View Post
Or you can call them "Chunky"
That's cute.
Maybe this anime aimed at american market.
rainrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-14, 17:56   Link #193
vorpal83

I never thought Shirow would turn into friggin Fernando Botero in his old age...
vorpal83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-28, 02:03   Link #194
Echoes

Episode 5.

This episode was a huge step up from the previous ones, the potential I knew was there all along is really starting to show now. I'm really starting to like the characters, and the animation is great. Consider me hooked!

Persoanlly, I think Minamo is just the right size, and she's awfully cute as well.
Echoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-28, 10:29   Link #195
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrix View Post
Maybe this anime aimed at american market.
The American market has similar taste in designs as the Japanese market. It's prob going to get the same reception as it's getting here design wise.
Old 2008-05-29, 11:05   Link #196
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
I'm surprised this issue is getting so much mileage still. Elephants and anthills come to mind.

Most people seem to be quite fine with this kind of character design...

...and yet Tetsuro Ueyama's work on RD gets so many bewildered comments.

This is a particular illustrator's style. He isn't trying to TELL your something. There are no subliminal messages here. If Shinya Hasegawa or Nobuteru Yuki are allowed to draw pointy noses and match-like legs, well, what exactly is the problem with Real Drive's character design? It's a stylistic choice, nothing else.

Rather than this non-issue, the things that bothers me a lot more is that Real Drive is boring. The dogs episode (#8 was it?) has frankly just killed me. I know they're still building up the atmospheric tension and sketching out the world and technology, but this is an awfully strange way to go about it.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-12, 06:41   Link #197
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

You say boring, I'd say it is unique.

I thought the dog episode was absolutely wonderful and so was the love letter episode.

Unlike something that only works with crimes and terrorism like in Ghost in the Shell, this series has a more whimsical, day-to-day troubles in regard to the cyberbrain. And I actually prefer this show over GiTS as of now. And the show seems to get better each week personally.
Old 2008-06-15, 01:15   Link #198
Kaguya
an idler

I have cried in episode 6 Love Letter. I think that it is the best work in this season.

Nevertheless, why is RD unpopular?

Is it because it has many difficult terms?
Is it because the story of each episode is completed?
Is it because it does not have a pain?

It will be appreciated when all are completed. I'm happy that this series has 26 episodes.
Kaguya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-15, 09:50   Link #199
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaguya View Post
I have cried in episode 6 Love Letter. I think that it is the best work in this season.

Nevertheless, why is RD unpopular?

Is it because it has many difficult terms?
Is it because the story of each episode is completed?
Is it because it does not have a pain?

It will be appreciated when all are completed. I'm happy that this series has 26 episodes.
I figured it wouldnt appeal to alot(tho i expected more than this). I certainly watch it tho and like it thus far, i know it will pick up more too story wise.
Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-15, 11:06   Link #200
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
It doesn't have a "Masamune feeling" to it... It's been enjoyable nonetheless, even though I'm a bit annoyed at Aoi's character.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
production i.g.