AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2009-08-24, 15:45   Link #1921
Marion
The Great Dine

I still feel the George/Shannon dynamic is just odd. What I mean is why did George fall in love with her? He even says that he met her a few times in the family conference but suddenly just noticed her only day and began liking her. That's just weird to me. Shannon views him as a prince charming, but with George we don't really know why he just started to like her, considering they only see each other once a year.

As far as the 'deepness' between Kanon/Jessica, I really just get more of a teen love feel from it, since they are teenagers. Know how many girls in my school have a boyfriend and say it's the deepest thing they've ever experienced. 2 months later they break up and, although she feels sad, she eventually moves on and dates another boy and says the same thing. It can develop into something deeper, sure, but both of them are still kids.

And because George cries he's suspicious. Most times he's trying to hold in his tears, like when they discover Rudolf, Kyrie and Hideyoshi's bodies in EP 3.
Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-24, 15:48   Link #1922
momobunny
◔ ◡ ◔
*Artist

There was also the scene when Beatrice attacked George and Shannon... if I remember correctly, Shannon made that barrier, while George was on the ground cowering in fear or something (bad memory, please correct me if that's wrong)... however, I found that a little odd, it might just be a character flaw, but I thought it'd be better if he at least TRIED to protect Shannon. I'm not really sure what to think of them as a couple, but I'd hate it if Shannon's love was just one-sided. In Episode 4 George shows that he'd kill everybody else for Shannon, I'm not really sure what to think of this though... it might mean that he really loves her, or maybe he has some ulterior motive.

But I do agree that he seems too "perfect" and unsuspicious to be COMPLETELY innocent. ^^;

momobunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-24, 15:52   Link #1923
urusai

Quote:
Originally Posted by liia View Post
Spoiler for eps 1-4, WARNING TEXT WALL:
Judging from ep5 where
Spoiler for EP5:

could the same thing have happened...
Spoiler:

Grasping at straws here, don't mind me...
urusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-24, 15:53   Link #1924
Kitsu
The unlucky one

Quote:
As far as the 'deepness' between Kanon/Jessica, I really just get more of a teen love feel from it, since they are teenagers. Know how many girls in my school have a boyfriend and say it's the deepest thing they've ever experienced. 2 months later they break up and, although she feels sad, she eventually moves on and dates another boy and says the same thing. It can develop into something deeper, sure, but both of them are still kids.
Like I said I only got that feeling in the beginning were it seemed a lot like a "stupid crush" for me. You know all like "he is so cute"-thingy but later on (which was in the magic scenes! so not really "true") it felt like they really cared for each other. In a more deep way, they understodd each other (like beato once said in Ep 2) Instead to cry for her parents to help her she started to cry for Kanon in Ep 3. In Ep 4 she was willing to die just so he could life on. I think that's more than the teen love. It seems a lot that their relationship devolped step by sstep through the different worlds. But if magic doesn' exists the devolpment doesn't exists so we are back to teen love. But if I remember correctly a deep cut into that tenn love thingy came with rejection of Kanon. I think that was the point were she, no he as well started to really care for each other.

Quote:
And because George cries he's suspicious. Most times he's trying to hold in his tears, like when they discover Rudolf, Kyrie and Hideyoshi's bodies in EP 3.
Well if George's suspicious cause he cries a lot, then you have to suspect Jessica as well. She cries a lot as well. But she feels a bit like a red herring doesn't she

Quote:
if I remember correctly, Shannon made that barrier, while George was on the ground cowering in fear or something
Actually he was being attacked by golden butterflies. And well he was really surprised and shocked by all of the magic stuff, tough in ep 4 he wasn't that shocked and just beat the crap out of Goats.

The more oyu look at it the more it fels that all character devolped through the different worlds and always "learned" something in it without clearly remembering the worlds.

Last edited by Kitsu; 2009-08-24 at 16:00. Reason: mixed up Game episodes
Kitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-24, 16:17   Link #1925
momobunny
◔ ◡ ◔
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsu View Post
Actually he was being attacked by golden butterflies. And well he was really surprised and shocked by all of the magic stuff, tough in ep 4 he wasn't that shocked and just beat the crap out of Goats.
Ahh that makes sense then, it's been a while since I played EP2. :3

He still seems suspicious to me though. >.>

Old 2009-08-24, 16:27   Link #1926
marebito
カケラ管理人

While I don't dislike Shanon and George as characters I do understand Kanon and Jessica's relationship more. They kind of have the same problem but Jessica learned to deal with it to a certain extent. Kanon kind of admires her for her strength while she wants to help him to do the same thing for himself (some general teen love included of course). However he also regards her with envy and he doesn't have any self-confidence because of his status and that's where the whole relationship fails while everything works out perfect (until the murders begin) for George and Shanon which makes them quite boring for me. They are both too perfect in their own way.

Ah, since this thread is for speculation... IMO George is so unsuspicuous that it doesn't even make him suspicious again... I can't think of any believable motive at the moment, even Shanon is more suspicious, especially since EP5 (I didn't say that I myself do think of her as the culprit or something close to that). I know, there are other characters that also don't have a clear motive right now, but at least those characters are suspicious enough because of certain facts and events.
marebito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-24, 16:30   Link #1927
Kitsu
The unlucky one

Quote:
everything works out perfect (until the murders begin) for George and Shanon which makes them quite boring for me. They are both too perfect in their own way.
I totally understand that, but it's kinda funny if you are lucky and things work out for you you are not loved by the fans but if you fail you are loved xDD A yay for unhappy people since they are more interesting
Old 2009-08-24, 16:38   Link #1928
marebito
カケラ管理人

Quote:
A yay for unhappy people since they are more interesting
Seconded. More interesting and more realistic... or the latter due to the first.
Old 2009-08-24, 16:54   Link #1929
Nifty
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
A yay for unhappy people since they are more interesting
And usually get the most satisfying ending.
Just watch. I will lol semi-sadistically if George/Shannon turns to dust or was fake all along or something along those lines.
Old 2009-08-24, 16:56   Link #1930
Kitsu
The unlucky one

Quote:
I will lol semi-sadistically if George/Shannon turns to dust or was fake all along or something along those lines.
I would feel really bad! And I think Kanon/Jessi is more likely to get that end
Old 2009-08-24, 17:03   Link #1931
marebito
カケラ管理人

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nifty View Post
And usually get the most satisfying ending.
Just watch. I will lol semi-sadistically if George/Shannon turns to dust or was fake all along or something along those lines.
Spoiler for people who still don't know Higurashi:

IMO the 2 pairs or whatever I should call them are one of the most unimportant/uninteresting aspects in the whole franchise anyway, so I don't really care...
Old 2009-08-24, 17:05   Link #1932
Kitsu
The unlucky one

Quote:
IMO the 2 pairs or whatever I should call them are one of the most unimportant/uninteresting aspects in the whole franchise anyway, so I don't really care...
I think they belong the second most interesting part in the whole franchise, the part of character interactions. The reason, beside the complex mystery, I love Umineko.
Old 2009-08-24, 17:09   Link #1933
marebito
カケラ管理人

Quote:
I think they belong the second most interesting part in the whole franchise, the part of character interactions. The reason, beside the complex mystery, I love Umineko.
Of course they belong there, but even regarding that part of the franchise there are more interesting characters for me (e.g. Battler, Ange, Rosa + Maria, Natsuhi... ).

This is getting too chit-chatty...
Old 2009-08-24, 17:11   Link #1934
momobunny
◔ ◡ ◔
*Artist

While I can understand why JessicaXKanon might be interesting, I personally find GeorgeXShannon quite boring really. Like previously mentioned, they're too perfect and not much of a reason is given from George's point of view. ^^;

Old 2009-08-24, 17:57   Link #1935
Volcanic
fire of fires

I believe I saw a theory on TVTropes once that George and Shannon really weren't in love, and the whole "too perfect" thing was the main basis of it. I have to admit, although George and Shannon are very cute, Kanon and Jessica are even more likable and cute in the eyes of most fans, including myself.

Also, an interesting note: with some minor additions, my theory from here still makes sense after EP5. I might have to edit it a little, but it's actually starting to make more and more sense 0_o
Volcanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-24, 21:51   Link #1936
Rias

It's so much easier to "prove" something in magic...
Old 2009-08-26, 09:43   Link #1937
Counter Arts

I stayed up all night trying to read as much as I can about EP5 but I still have a theory that I want to put out there.

Here it is. I'll be sleeping for 7 hours after this so I won't be able to reply. There are a bunch of things I glossed over I believe so feel free to poke holes in my theory.

Spoiler for Umineko EP1-5 theory: Original Culprit:
Counter Arts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-26, 09:50   Link #1938
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

1) Rosa was confirmed dead for Episode 1.
2) The shed is locked with a padlock. It is absolutely impossible, realistically speaking for someone to open the shed from the inside.
3) Rosa could absolutely not be able to kill George, Shannon and Gohda, let alone Kumasawa and Nanjo, nor Jessica and Kanon.
Old 2009-08-26, 11:38   Link #1939
HisuiRT

Crazy Theory

My crazy Umineko theory

I am throwing out a theory about Umineko. I think it is a long shot but I am curious how well it stand up to scrutiny becuase I think it works but is sort of bonkers. Also I might be missing something super obvious that blows it out of the water. So here it goes. Tell me what you think:

Spoiler for My theory on the "killer" in Umineko:
HisuiRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-26, 12:02   Link #1940
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

I'm not buying "accounting tricks." I will accept that if someone has the same name as someone else, it's theoretically possible for the red text to apply to one or the other in some unexpected way (though I don't personally think that any such instance exists). However, if there are two people, there are two people. The only way I can see this working is if, for instance, Asumu's son turns out to be someone like Kanon (a person who already exists on the island and is accounted-for). If there are two Battlers, but one has another name and is a person we already know, that's one thing. But some extra person is more or less impossible to justify without ridiculous tricks at this point. I don't think it's going to be that complicated or - let's be honest - that cheap.

I think you'd be better off applying your theory while targeting someone else as "the other Battler." But even if you did, it's still rather tricky to show anything substantive yet.

Still, couldn't Battler still be a mastermind? "Not the culprit" and "didn't kill anyone" don't necessarily exclude setting everything up. I think it's pretty much ridiculous that Battler could possibly be in any way involved, but if you want a crackpot theory, puppetmaster Battler is still theoretically valid. Sort of.
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote