AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Monogatari Series

Notices

Old 2012-02-01, 00:12   Link #1
Kairin
AnimeSuki's Mascot

Character Discussion - Sengoku Nadeko

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss all things Nadeko Sengoku related.
To keep the discussion enjoyable for all Monogatari Series fans, please follow the guidelines below and stay on-topic!
Note: Please don't use this for the specifics (i.e. episode, chapter, game, etc. discussion) there are other threads for that stuff.
Thread Guidelines
  • No campaigning!
    No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whinging and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favourite.

• Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter are always welcome, but harassing people will not be tolerated.

• Discuss, don't chat.
    Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel.

• Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.

• Use Spoiler tags!
    Spoilers are allowed, but they must be enclosed in spoiler tags clearly marked with a proper title. Failure to do this can result in a BAN.

• Adding a Spoiler tag:
      Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms. Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!

• Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
      Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar. Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators to locate and deal with problems quickly.

• Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
      Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly. The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Kairin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-01, 00:25   Link #2
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

i just re-watch ep9 and koyomi describe it as a MOUNTAIN of snakes that was cut into pieces.

Also when the Koyomi notice Nadeko in the book store we got Hitchcock music.

Nadeko is quite the bloody Yandere.
Old 2012-02-01, 02:15   Link #3
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Oh there is good reason for that....
Old 2012-02-01, 04:12   Link #4
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab

Of all the girls other than Hitagi i'd definitely pick her first, ie she'd be mistress number one.
ID555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-01, 05:01   Link #5
HasuMasu
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Oh there is good reason for that....
Now now, let's not spoil the fun...they'll find out soon enough.
Old 2012-02-01, 08:04   Link #6
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective-san View Post
Now now, let's not spoil the fun...they'll find out soon enough.
More like...... 5 years down the road if we stay on this pace.
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-01, 09:02   Link #7
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

But Shaft won't give up unless something major happens to them, that is certain.
Old 2012-02-02, 17:06   Link #8
Clarste
Human

She's the least interesting character in the series by a rather large margin. That's not necessarily her fault, but her character arc was basically hijacked by Araragi. Nadeko Snake was never about her in the way that the other arcs were about their heroines, not even partially. Thus, she's gotten no character development and we haven't really seen anything about her inner conflicts or anything.

I suppose her recent development into someone who's trying to flat out seduce Araragi has some sort of contrast to her earlier appearance, and from that we can extrapolate certain things, but even with that I still think she's the least interesting character.

The series might be marginally better if she were removed, if only because her relatively irrelevant presence contradicts the feeling of "purposeful emptiness" that pervades the series. When the director goes out of the way to make all extras into cardboard cutouts or otherwise "unreal", having a surplus character that doesn't serve any interesting purpose and is not subject to much examination feels a bit frivolous. I feel she doesn't fit in to the "theater" like atmosphere very well. Perhaps she fits in better in the novels?
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-02, 17:43   Link #9
zarqu
Stüldt Hĺjt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
That's not necessarily her fault
I think that novel readers will hasten to add that indeed, at the moment she's the least interesting character (ymmv of course).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
i just re-watch ep9 and koyomi describe it as a MOUNTAIN of snakes that was cut into pieces.

Also when the Koyomi notice Nadeko in the book store we got Hitchcock music.
Yeah. I rewatched her episode in Nise. I'm getting some bad vibes about all those shades and strange angles (zooming into her eyes etc.) during her scene. I'm not a novel reader/have not been spoiled.

Last edited by zarqu; 2012-02-04 at 15:48.
zarqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-02, 21:47   Link #10
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarqu View Post
I think that novel readers will hasten to add that indeed, at the moment she's the least interesting character (ymmv of course).
Just wait until maybe uh......2020?

Although I hope it really doesn't take that long for SHAFT to work.....>_>
Old 2012-02-02, 21:54   Link #11
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Just wait until maybe uh......2020?

Although I hope it really doesn't take that long for SHAFT to work.....>_>
considering how well Bake sold and how well the preoreder is going for Nise, i don't think funding will be a problem. Since Kizu is coming out this summer, the next Monogatari project would probably be in 2014, with a yr of separation between projects.
Old 2012-02-02, 21:56   Link #12
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

I admit for now she is the least interesting, but trust me she gets A LOT more character development later on in the series.
Old 2012-02-03, 02:39   Link #13
HasuMasu
*Artist

Yes she does, though that 'development' is strictly character-wise.
Old 2012-02-04, 14:47   Link #14
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

She's the least relevant character plot-wise, but she's still the one I like the most. I love the contrast between her cute and innocent appearance and her cunning personality (which she is still trying to hide).

I'm dying to know what she's hiding inside that closet. It must damn important and/or shameful to necessitate such drastic security measures. Creepy Araragi altar? That would fit the yandere vibes she's giving off.
Old 2012-02-04, 22:54   Link #15
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
She's the least relevant character plot-wise, but she's still the one I like the most. I love the contrast between her cute and innocent appearance and her cunning personality (which she is still trying to hide).

I'm dying to know what she's hiding inside that closet. It must damn important and/or shameful to necessitate such drastic security measures. Creepy Araragi altar? That would fit the yandere vibes she's giving off.
Reminds me of Helga from Hey! Arnold.
Old 2012-02-04, 22:58   Link #16
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
@Kanon: sorry mate to break it out like this, but Nadeko is like any other teenage girl idolizing/fantasizing about something she has yet to experience... that said, it is still cute, but not all that much ero, especially when you compare her with other inexperienced but older members of the cast who have some idea about "birds and bees"

Last edited by Malkuth; 2012-02-04 at 22:58. Reason: ref
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-06, 20:54   Link #17
Miraluka
Banned

To think the changes Hanekawa had were a huge let down on my list, making Nadeko my fav character of the series, I just like her innocence mix with ignorance.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-06, 22:29   Link #18
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by omimon View Post
Reminds me of Helga from Hey! Arnold.
But Nadeko's not so blatantly tsun...
Old 2012-02-07, 01:02   Link #19
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

Quote:
But Nadeko's not so blatantly tsun...
Spoiler for Future novel hinting:

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-02-07 at 03:02.
Old 2012-02-07, 02:17   Link #20
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by omimon View Post
Watch out when she does though. Her tsun is scary.
Spoiler for Otorimonogatari:

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-02-07 at 03:01.
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
characters