AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Little Busters

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-03-25, 16:13   Link #61
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
The other problem is that they aren't the most creative bunch and tend to recycle a lot of elements from what I've seen. It can get tiring, and at worst bad Key writing can seem like Moe snuff anime. :S
I don't think it's about creativity so much as it's about playing to the audience's expectations. Perhaps you could even consider it "fanservice" to the long-time Key fans, sort of like a famous sports player's signature move. There are some people who tire quickly of repetition and wish that every product could surprise them in new and unexpected ways (and so cheer any time a company does "something different", as if that's a virtue in and of itself). There are other people who encounter such repetition and feel nostalgic, and so enjoy the similarities they see as homages to what's come before. I think that executing the latter successfully and still maintaining the interest of the long-time fans is trickier than it seems, and requires more creativity than some people in the former group give them credit for.
Old 2012-03-25, 16:25   Link #62
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Because Key relies on emotional shock value, it's necessary for you to give a damn about the characters before you care about what happens to them. For Kanon 2k2, Angel Beats, and Air, there was little time for you to grow attached to these people. But Air at least got something together. And of course the characters themselves have to be sympathetic and that really varies.
I see, then that means it's how fast people gets attached to the characters, right? And how "sensitive" or sympathetic one with the characters or the issue at hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing
The other problem is that they aren't the most creative bunch and tend to recycle a lot of elements from what I've seen. It can get tiring, and at worst bad Key writing can seem like Moe snuff anime. :S
As much of a great writer Maeda Jun was, he's still just one writer, and there's bound to be reoccurring motifs and patterns in his works. Afaik many other famous writers have this tendency too (like Gen and R07).
Old 2012-03-25, 16:26   Link #63
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
I don't think it's about creativity so much as it's about playing to the audience's expectations. Perhaps you could even consider it "fanservice" to the long-time Key fans, sort of like a famous sports player's signature move. There are some people who tire quickly of repetition and wish that every product could surprise them in new and unexpected ways (and so cheer any time a company does "something different", as if that's a virtue in and of itself). There are other people who encounter such repetition and feel nostalgic, and so enjoy the similarities they see as homages to what's come before. I think that executing the latter successfully and still maintaining the interest of the long-time fans is trickier than it seems, and requires more creativity than some people in the former group give them credit for.
This I could live with, and I agree with you more than you'd initially think from reading my post. It is true that 1.) The Brand has created certain expectations that we sorta "expect" to see. We don't expect space operas from them. We want cute girls overcoming problems with a little help after a sad event occurs. 2.) Don't reinvent the wheel as one could argue everything's been done before.

So I won't fault them for using a theme or element they've already done before, but I would feel they would be better since I personally feel they could do better with more than the few tricks they have had and not give me the feeling that they're just putting cute girls on the screen solely to make them feel miserable. I can still enjoy it, but sometimes I get bitter and term it moe snuff.

But it is interesting you used the term fanservice for past reference, because it really does work like that (Not bad in itself, when used well it can entertain the audience, when used bad it feels uninspired) Surely, I enjoyed the homages in Angel Beats, for example.

It is also true that they need to do what we gamers call a "build order", a certain standard basic template to align themselves with their intended audience. So I am the type that even would call creativity overrated at times because the basics are the building blocks. Nothing wrong with that either, but then again merely meeting customer expectations is only the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
As much of a great writer Maeda Jun was, he's still just one writer, and there's bound to be reoccurring motifs and patterns in his works. Afaik many other famous writers have this tendency too (like Gen and R07).
Yep, but I feel they tend to be more discrete about it. And that is why it is always tough to follow up on a great work.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2012-03-25, 17:35   Link #64
Eater of All
NOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
Was it? I think Clannad tops LB in length. That is one gigantic game, with every character having their own route. The latter half of the game is even worth a single game by itself.
The word count for LB! EX is longer than that of Clannad's, though from what I've experienced playing LB regular, the story should be shorter even after accounting for EX content.
Old 2012-03-25, 17:35   Link #65
Dark_Pride

I'm more concerned about the length (2+ cour please) rather than studio. I'd rather have this animated by JC Staff with 2+ cour rather than being animated by KyoAni or P.A. Works for 1 cour only.
Old 2012-03-25, 17:44   Link #66
Dazarath

After an anime gets the green light, how long does it take before they start airing? I understand that it ranges, but I was wondering if it would be months or a couple years.
Old 2012-03-25, 18:16   Link #67
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazarath View Post
After an anime gets the green light, how long does it take before they start airing? I understand that it ranges, but I was wondering if it would be months or a couple years.
With a "big name" show like this that will no doubt have a very tightly-managed mixed-media marketing campaign leading up to the show's airing, I think you'd be looking at six months to airing (so I'd bet on Fall). You want the announcement to be soon enough to start building interest, but not so long beforehand that people will get sick of hearing about it before the show even starts, given that you're going to be firing at full-cylinder right out the gate (which is why the "leak" today was unfortunate for them; someone probably got fired or at least severely reprimanded ).

Of course, by announcing a show with that sort of timing, it means that it's already been in pre-production for months. Some shows that don't have such a major marketing campaign from the get-go get announced sooner in the process (perhaps once the contract was signed), and then it ends up being a long time before you hear anything again (particularly if there are problems, things don't work out, etc.). I don't think something like that would happen in this case.

(You may recall back in the day that both seasons of Clannad were announced at the end of the previous Key show in late-March for an October start, so the timing would match that pattern even though there's no show currently airing.)
Old 2012-03-25, 18:26   Link #68
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Best case scenario: Kyoto Animation, 2 cours (minimum), continuous format (non-omnibus)
Worst case scenario: Toei Animation, 1 cour, omnibus format

Cutoff for being content: PA Works or White Fox (since they did the Rewrite OP), 2 cours, continuous format

Unforunately, considering KyoAni has two projects this year (Hyouka and that romcom LN whose name I forget) and PA Works has two/three (Another, Tari Tari, Hanasaku Iroha S2), I speculate it's going to be either Toei or White Fox. If it's Toei, remind me to purchase/hi-jack a nuclear silo because I will nuke that studio to obliteration if they do . Or Deen/JC for that matter, but I doubt it will be either of the two.

And to the people that was joking about Kawamori/Okada director/writer combo adapting this... that would be a very funny thought but no it would not happen (to some people's delight ). Both staff will be doing the AKB48 anime next season as well as the 2nd cour to Aquarion EVOL, Kawamori has his own Satelight studio to worry about and Okada has a huge project in the form of the new Lupin anime later in the year. Though technically Okada will be well suited for a Key anime (as long as production staff/Key have massive leg cuffs that weighs over 9000kg wrapped around her legs, like Nagai did for Anohana since Okada initially wanted to make that anime into a romcom) considering Anohana was very much like Key in nature, albeit less slapstick but with less impactful "wham moments".
Old 2012-03-25, 18:32   Link #69
Dop
Mmmm....

Don't know anything about the game, but have got Air, Kanon, and both Clannad and Clannad After Story. The whole Key/KyoAni thing seems like a no brainer, but then again there were those Toei movies (I saw a bit of one of them and could stand it no longer!), and the whole PA Works Angel Beats thing.

I'd hope that Kyoto Animation were doing this one just because of their track record.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Old 2012-03-25, 18:42   Link #70
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Yippee!!!!!! *hopefully this doesn't get deleted.*

Pretty please, KyoAni!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisaoFan View Post
Just like Tsukihime, I wonder if some people deny the existence of Toei's Kanon anime ?
Toei made a Kanon anime? *Must try to forget the horror again. No, it doesn't exist. Only the KyoAni version exists. Must forget....*
Clannad movie also doesn't exist.

Worse case scenario: Toei doing anything with this franchise. Key, please don't let Toei anywhere near any more of your properties.
Old 2012-03-25, 19:08   Link #71
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post

Toei made a Kanon anime? *Must try to forget the horror again. No, it doesn't exist. Only the KyoAni version exists. Must forget....*
Clannad movie also doesn't exist.
I don't really get the hate with the CLANNAD movie. I liked how it didn't feel restricted by the game and was allowed to do its own thing (although the romance did suck, but Clannad isn't exactly the most romantic anime around). Plus, Sunohara was better in that movie.

With that said, hopefully, Toei stays away from this Key product.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Old 2012-03-25, 19:12   Link #72
Sumeragi
Banned

Oh Heavens......
Old 2012-03-25, 19:27   Link #73
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
If you're gonna pair up Kawamori with Okada you might as well go to Satelight
That's true. I would be amused by seeing the Satelight Kawamori/Okada duo working on this, but they are probably going to be quite busy with AKB0048 and Aquarion EVOL.

SHAFT with Akiyuki Shinbo directing and Hiroyuki Yoshino doing the script certainly would be controversial. Of course, Yuuki Kaji would probably be the lead male. OK, I won't jinx it by mentioning that any more.

And I can imagine the rage with Ordet and Yamakan directing it. But anyway, it will be interesting to see if P.A Works, White Fox or KyoAni does this rather than DEEN, J.C Staff(who would have to have Nagai directing it or someone of that caliber) or Toei.
Old 2012-03-25, 19:38   Link #74
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiRa08o2 View Post
CE, how can you possibly imagine that without doing nightmares at night?
Coz LB was only so-so to me? Even judged against the other Key works....

Then again, ZEXCS treatment is what amounts to cruel and unusual punishment....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
24 is not enough so 12 is outright suicide.
LB is longer than Clannad which needed 48 episodes, despite it still had some cuts around.
That is what everyone knows but would the studio care? You saw what happened to AB.....Originally meant for 20+ eps instead then got cut down so much...
Old 2012-03-25, 19:46   Link #75
SolCiel

This gives me hope for a Rewrite anime in the future. Hope KyoAni gets it!
Old 2012-03-25, 20:25   Link #76
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

There's absolutely zero chance this is one cour. Why? It's a guaranteed money-maker - why would a studio intentionally deprive themselves of a chance to sell more Blu-rays when the story is way too much for one cour in the first place?
Old 2012-03-25, 20:37   Link #77
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Economics to the rescue!
Old 2012-03-25, 21:12   Link #78
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
For those who don't believe, here's proof:

Summary: congrats on getting an anime, little busters.
Old 2012-03-25, 21:15   Link #79
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
For those who don't believe, here's proof:

Summary: congrats on getting an anime, little busters.
Those tweets are from the head of Visual Arts. He is denying anything about an anime while responding to people asking if it is true or congratulating him on the anime. They do not necessarily provide proof.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
Old 2012-03-25, 21:16   Link #80
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flawnalyst View Post
I don't really get the hate with the CLANNAD movie. I liked how it didn't feel restricted by the game and was allowed to do its own thing (although the romance did suck, but Clannad isn't exactly the most romantic anime around). Plus, Sunohara was better in that movie.

With that said, hopefully, Toei stays away from this Key product.
Don't get me started about that movie. I cancelled my Japanese pre-order because of what I saw.

Toei needs to stay away from Key products period. And.. I thought Clannad was romantic.

What no OP to celebrate...

Last edited by orion; 2012-03-25 at 21:26.
Closed Thread

Tags
anime game, little busters