AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-10-19, 15:47   Link #341
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Seriously , Kai is so hopeless , he doesn't seems interested & get involved about the club & Aki.
Well he helped her once but that's it , at least give her a hand on what she's trying to make even though he's not interested. As she said , he's giving up so fast... meh.
Well , now that he will become the operator things will change(hope)
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-19, 17:57   Link #342
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio C View Post
That was a much better episode than the first one. I don't get why people see the main characters bland, what do they expect?
The problem with Robotics;Notes, particularly its characters is how limited the interactions are. Since we have to deal with Kaito and Akiho 90% of the time, if they don't have peculiar quirks and/or interesting antics and all, obviously it won't catch people attention at all.

Kaito is just "there" to be blunt: although we finally got a glimpse of why he is sticking with the Robo club, he still feels out of place as he hardly support Akiho and just keep playing KB all day long. Top this with the fact he seems so bored all the time, and he doesn't really have much quirk to be desired.
Meanwhile, Akiho is the complete opposite: sure, she got some whacky moments and all, but it is hard to follow her in her outburst, because her motivations are difficult to identify/relate: I have difficult time to relate with her persistent passion to make that GunVarrel, and frankly, her sheer energy is solely used in pushing people for her objective, which is a bit... I dunno, quite boring to watch (a bit how Kaito's "joke" with KB is getting old, the same goes with Akiho being extremely persistant with everyone, to the point she just has the club in her mind, without anything to "interact" with others, even Kaito).

I don't particularly expect anything close to S;G, considering the premises and characters, but really, for a series that focus on 2 characters alone, you better have a balanced blend of antics, dialogues and all, which is not the case with Robono: Akiho is the only active actor there, and imho, she is doing for the "kicks" since barely anything has been disclosed about her determination of making Gunvarrel. It is just... unblanced, making it bland, for a lack of better term.

S;G wasn't any "faster", but it grabbed attention much faster with Okabe being not only whacky, but at least putting jabs and all, with different characters that give a certain follow to his antics, whereas people around Akiho are just present, without any real followup if you catch my drift.
And since the plot is really moving on a snail pace (to which SG did at least put some mystery stuff right on the get go), it doesn't really help either: with a single episode, we have only learned a bit more about Kaito and Akiho, and have the hobby robo "build", and still not ready for the competition.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2012-10-19 at 18:08.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-19, 18:35   Link #343
Insane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
The second episode was as boring as the first. The characters remain uninteresting and bland despite an attempt at giving them some depths. A very nice snorefest so far. Hope it's going to get more interesting soon.
Kinda agree with you. Frankly speaking, I felt that the general pacing of R;N is a little slow compared to C;H/S;G whereas the latter had some major happenings right at the very first episode. As of now we still don’t really know what is the bigger picture or if there is any evil organization behind the shadows apart from that mysterious girl/robot at the end of the first episode. However I am still going to believe that something huge/sinister is going to happen soon so I’m not too worried about the plot itself aside from its slow start. As a standalone it is definitely watchable on its own but yeah the comparisons are a little inevitable when you have watched either or both C;H/S;G.

Having said that, R;N so far feels more slice-of-life than anything else until the plot elements start to really kick in. Thankfully though Akiho is so endearing to watch! Kaito on the other hand manages to impress me by showing that he actually cares (although he is still shown to be playing KB for literally 90% of his screentime >_>)
Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-19, 18:54   Link #344
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
There interactions between the two main characters reminds me of Hyouka quite a bit and it sort of feels like that in some ways. I don't have a problem with that, but with the new characters coming around I think we will see more interesting interactions. The granpa guy was just awesome.
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-19, 19:08   Link #345
Insane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sho- View Post
Seriously , Kai is so hopeless , he doesn't seems interested & get involved about the club & Aki.
Well he helped her once but that's it , at least give her a hand on what she's trying to make even though he's not interested. As she said , he's giving up so fast... meh.
Well , now that he will become the operator things will change(hope)
Hmm ...... At first, I was dismayed at Kaito’s callus lack of passion and support for Akiho, almost, as Akiho said, mean-spirited. But I see that is selfish thinking on my part. After watching this episode, I think the story is telling us that he’s really protecting her. How? By pretending to be indifferent (maybe) hoping that she’ll lose interest and not over-work herself with the outcome of an attack of her syndrome.

Just a theory, though.
Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-19, 19:13   Link #346
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Or, he's actually pushing her so that she could be able to conquer her sickness or surpass her older sister, who appears to be just as good in competitive robot combat as how Kai is good at KILL-BALLAD.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-19, 19:35   Link #347
Byakou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
He'll join for sure. You see him in the prelude of the first episode doing the countdown. Also Doc's granddaughter is there, plus another girl that has yet to show up.
Well, the opening is already straightforward about who will end up becoming a club member.
I see. I usually skip ops unless I like the song. And sometimes I can't be bothered skipping so I wait them out but without looking at them.
Byakou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-19, 20:09   Link #348
Kimidori
The Opened Ultimate Gate

so they gonna make the Kill Ballad creator make a new control for them. I wonder how they gonna make him do it, there are no reason for the Kill Ballad creator to help them, or maybe he will respect the 5th best player of his game in the world and help him?
Old 2012-10-19, 20:18   Link #349
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Most likely Kaito will challenge the creator live so to prove that he's not cheating, and to spice it up they'll make a bet where if Kaito wins the creator will need to help them.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-19, 21:00   Link #350
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

What was with that meat bun its like eating it for some punishing game

That old dude was just awesome
Old 2012-10-19, 21:14   Link #351
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
I wonder why Akiho assumed the old guy was a perv.
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-19, 21:20   Link #352
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

I still don't think the show is boring.. I'm enjoying the slow pace and rural town setting, I already said this many time before but its just refreshing change from Akihabara quirks in the two series before.

And I like the interaction between two lead, that enough to make me believe thing will be more lively when the group gathered.. I think its will never touch the atmosphere that S;G had from their group, its fine for me I like more casual and laidback interaction at here too.
Old 2012-10-19, 22:48   Link #353
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimidori View Post
so they gonna make the Kill Ballad creator make a new control for them. I wonder how they gonna make him do it, there are no reason for the Kill Ballad creator to help them, or maybe he will respect the 5th best player of his game in the world and help him?
I'm guessing the creator is that male classmate (name escapes me) that they keep trying to recruit to help them with their robot. Could be totally off but he does already seem really interested in them.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 08:27   Link #354
klare

Kai may look useless and unhelpful, but i think he joins the club simply because of Aki

i hope Aki's illness is not there just for dramatic effects, overall i feel eps 2 is getting better
Old 2012-10-20, 09:03   Link #355
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

I'm sure that illness has deep implications with the plot. After all it's tied to that mysterious "incident of 9 years before".

Old 2012-10-20, 09:16   Link #356
LKK

Is anyone else wondering about that aurora borealis we've seen twice now? I don't think the aurora borealis is a common sight over Japan. That says to me something drastic has happened to the world to produce it. Perhaps related to the incident 9 years ago and perhaps related to the source of Aki's fast-forwarding illness.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 09:26   Link #357
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Indeed, you see it right when Kaito mentions the incident. Which is why I'm already imagining some kind of quantistic\relativistic or equally pseudoscientific explanation.

It reminds me another anime where the aurora borealis appears in the sky after a strange incident: Boogiepop Phantom.

EDIT:
BTW, it appears that the "elephant and mouse syndrome" is commonly used to indicate situations where people overreact to harmless threats. It's based on the fact (or myth?) that Elephants are scared by mice, which is preposterous because the huge elephants have absolutely nothing to fear from the little mice.

It doesn't seem that this is the intended meaning in Robotics;Notes though.

Last edited by Jan-Poo; 2012-10-20 at 10:14.
Old 2012-10-20, 11:57   Link #358
Snuffle
likes cute things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
It's based on the fact (or myth?) that Elephants are scared by mice, which is preposterous because the huge elephants have absolutely nothing to fear from the little mice.
Elephants are afraid (or at least wary) of mice.
Snuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 14:52   Link #359
Jmac
Sharing my world thru art
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by klare View Post
i hope Aki's illness is not there just for dramatic effects, overall i feel eps 2 is getting better
I've got a feeling that'll become more of a problem later on, but for now I'll enjoying the slice of life part until the drama starts kicking in.
Old 2012-10-20, 16:08   Link #360
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
The second episode was as boring as the first. The characters remain uninteresting and bland despite an attempt at giving them some depths. A very nice snorefest so far. Hope it's going to get more interesting soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane View Post
Kinda agree with you. Frankly speaking, I felt that the general pacing of R;N is a little slow compared to C;H/S;G whereas the latter had some major happenings right at the very first episode. As of now we still don’t really know what is the bigger picture or if there is any evil organization behind the shadows apart from that mysterious girl/robot at the end of the first episode. However I am still going to believe that something huge/sinister is going to happen soon so I’m not too worried about the plot itself aside from its slow start. As a standalone it is definitely watchable on its own but yeah the comparisons are a little inevitable when you have watched either or both C;H/S;G.

Having said that, R;N so far feels more slice-of-life than anything else until the plot elements start to really kick in. Thankfully though Akiho is so endearing to watch! Kaito on the other hand manages to impress me by showing that he actually cares (although he is still shown to be playing KB for literally 90% of his screentime >_>)
Both of you reflect my thoughts, this is another NoitaminA show instead of a Nitro+ adaption
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
science fiction