AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2012-08-21, 12:51   Link #641
escimo
Paparazzi

Summer Cottage Panorama by J. Savio, on Flickr

Panorama from our summer cottage...
escimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-21, 18:11   Link #642
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

Awesome shot, Love the bold colours.

I'll be over in Orlando Florida in a couple of weeks and I'm set on picking up a nice wide angle lens and a dedicated macro lens to boot, anyone have any recommendations to fit Canon ?

I was thinking about a Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Lens and possibly a Canon 50-mm macro ?

Anyway I also have a few shots to share ! =D

Had a go at photographing motorsport which as it turns out is pretty hard especially when your subject it traveling at over 100 mph!

These where taken at the 90th annual Ulster Grand Prix which is the fastest road race in the world with rider speeds averaging over 130 mph around a closed road circuit, the top speed recorded on the day was 173 mph.

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

A couple of the race winner Guy Martin in action.

Images

Also a couple of random shots to finish with.

Images

Last edited by Drake; 2012-08-21 at 20:06.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-21, 18:36   Link #643
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by escimo View Post

Summer Cottage Panorama by J. Savio, on Flickr

Panorama from our summer cottage...
The colors are so bright... I think I winked twice... Nice view!!!
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-21, 18:45   Link #644
escimo
Paparazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Awesome shot, Love the bold colours.

I'll be over in Orlando Florida in a couple of weeks and I'm set on picking up a nice wide angle lens and a dedicated macro lens to boot, anyone have any recommendations to fit Canon ?

I was thinking about a Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Lens and possibly a Canon 50-mm macro ?
I'd look into Tokina AT-X 124 AF Pro DX 12-24mm f/4 Mark II, it's a bit longer than the canon one, image quality is pretty much the same but it's quite a bit cheaper. Slower AF though.

As for macro lenses I've heard good things about EF-S 60mm F2.8. You'll end up spending the money you saved by going with the Tokina, but it's much faster focusing. 50mm F2.5 can be quite painful in that aspect. 60mm has also full time manual override and maximum magnification ratio of 1:1 instead of 1:2 of the 50mm one. (You can get a 1:1 converter for the 50mm but it's bloody expensive. The combo ends up costing more than the 60mm macro.) As a downside it being a EF-S, no full frame compatibility, but then again 50mm-ish macro for a full frame is a bit dimwitted thing anyway.
Old 2012-08-21, 19:07   Link #645
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

Thanks for the info but isn't the Tokina 12-24mm quite an old lens ? I assumed more up to date lens would be better overall coupled with the likes of USM etc and less distortion trade offs.

A bit of a random question but can anyone in the colonies give me a few suggestions on places in Florida worth visiting ? for photographing and just sight seeing in general ? =]

Old 2012-08-22, 03:40   Link #646
escimo
Paparazzi

Quote:
Thanks for the info but isn't the Tokina 12-24mm quite an old lens ? I assumed more up to date lens would be better overall coupled with the likes of USM etc and less distortion trade offs.
I think, Tokina 12-24mm was initially released somewhere around 2004/2005. Mark II was released in 2010 if I'm not mistaken so technically it's newer than Canon 10-22mm. Mark II has a new AF assembly and new coatings on lenses. Otherwise it's pretty much unchanged from the original.

In comparison to Canon, having tested both, I can tell there's very little difference in terms of optical quality. Tokina has slightly softer edges wide open and center resolution is a tiny bit worse across the aperture and focal length range. Then again, stopped down to F8 Tokina edges ahead in corner resolution.

I have a bit mixed feelings about the Canon lens. It's superior to Tokina by a minor margin which puts it quite close to professional quality. However the price in in the professional range as well. That's a bit problematic equation since as a professional photographer you'd most likely have a full frame body and in that case coughing up the extra cash to get the 16-35mm F2.8L is a no brainer.

USM though is indeed nice, it's a bit faster than Tokina's micro motor and much quieter. Canon does a slightly better job controlling CA as well.

In the end it comes down to how much you want to invest to something that tends to end up as a plaything.

Then there's of course Tokina's 11-16mm F2.8 which is a bit better than both of the others in terms of optical quality, but due to shorter focal length range is not quite as versatile. F2.8 maximum aperture is nice though...
Old 2012-08-22, 05:40   Link #647
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

The price will ultimately be the deciding factor, in the UK I'd be paying well above the average for either anyway but I'm going to have a look about and see if I can see either for a good price when I land state side.

Is there any notable difference in the "US" and standard versions of each as the US models seem a fraction cheaper for some reason ?

Old 2012-08-22, 05:58   Link #648
escimo
Paparazzi

Quote:
The price will ultimately be the deciding factor, in the UK I'd be paying well above the average for either anyway but I'm going to have a look about and see if I can see either for a good price when I land state side.

Is there any notable difference in the "US" and standard versions of each as the US models seem a fraction cheaper for some reason ?
US prices are generally tax excluded. I don't know the exact sales tax figures but I think it's around 5-10%.

The lenses are the same, there might be some differences in packaging.
Old 2012-08-22, 06:49   Link #649
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

Thats reassuring because oddly even UK and HK ebay sellers list some lens as "US version" so I feared there might have been material differences or compatibility issues or something similar.

On a random note I must say I'm quite pleased with the lens I used for the shots above which I picked up in an old electronics store for a modest £35, its an old tamron 55-300mm and I've never really used it much outside before never mind for taking shots of such high speed subjects but figured the extra reach would be handy for what I intended to use it for all in all it held up well.

A small sum of money well spend I think.

Old 2012-08-26, 00:23   Link #650
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

On a DSLR camera how do you make really good self portrait photos? How do you take a picture were the person looks really clear, and the background is blurry.

I want to take pictures like this,like in some of the pictures the background is blurry, and I really like the effect on these photos. The oversaturated effect, it reminds me alot of my LC-A+ analog camera? I'm more of an old school analog user, and this DSLR thing is kinda new to me. So far I learned how to take night photos/star photos and do light graffiti.
Spoiler for Sample:
Afternoon Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-26, 00:45   Link #651
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnAwesomee View Post
On a DSLR camera how do you make really good self portrait photos? How do you take a picture were the person looks really clear, and the background is blurry.

I want to take pictures like this,like in some of the pictures the background blurry, and I really like the effect on these photos. The oversaturated effect, it reminds me alot of my LC-A+ analog camera ?
Spoiler for Sample:
Those photos seem to all be taken professionally. So, in all cases, there was a photographer holding the camera and taking the shot.

It's possible to do it yourself, of course. Get a tripod (or prop your camera up on something) and either set a timer or use a wireless remote to trigger the camera. It's more difficult to do because you can't easily adjust the camera, nor can you "see what the camera sees" once you're on the other side of the lens.

As for the "blurry background," that is accomplished through a shallow depth of field. Briefly, there are three things that affect the depth of field. Listed in order of impact:

1) Distance between the camera and the subject (closer = more shallow)

2) Lens focal length (longer = more shallow)

3) Lens aperture (wider = more shallow; if you're unfamiliar with the numbering system, smaller numbers mean a wider aperture, e.g. f/1.4 is very wide, whereas f/4.0 is not as wide)

Lens aperture is the value that most photographers make the biggest deal out of, because it's the one thing that you always have control over, and that doesn't require any changes to your shooting style or positioning. However, lenses with wide maximum apertures cost more than those with smaller maximum apertures.

Tl;DR: use a timer and a lens with a wide aperture.

Sample shots? Sure.

500mm (yes, five hundred) f/8:

Highest Isolation by Velocity of Sound, on Flickr

Versus

12mm f/4.0:

This Cruel and Beautiful World by Velocity of Sound, on Flickr

Note that the shot at 500mm has a very shallow depth of field, even though the aperture is a good deal smaller than the shot at 12mm.

More traditional portraiture focal length, 50mm f/2.0:

Radiance at the End of Autumn by Velocity of Sound, on Flickr
Old 2012-08-26, 01:00   Link #652
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

Thanks a ton for the information!! I really do appreciate it! So I'm guessing that saturation effect is done on computer?
Old 2012-08-26, 02:48   Link #653
Ledgem
Love Yourself

I'm not sure what you're referring to, but the colors and contrast can easily be adjusted in post-processing (on the computer).
Old 2012-08-26, 03:11   Link #654
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
I'm not sure what you're referring to, but the colors and contrast can easily be adjusted in post-processing (on the computer).
on those sample picture I posed above.
Old 2012-08-26, 08:08   Link #655
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

Looks like post process editting to me, you download preset photoshop actions to give you that kind of look at the push of a button (a PS action automatically applies a recorded set of adjustments in PS) in addition to all different kinds of colour palette/effects like retro and such.

Similarly the white balance / colour temperature of the photo can affect the overall tone as well, here is a good guide on that

Old 2012-08-27, 21:40   Link #656
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirito View Post
Here's me taking a picture of a sunset and scenery at Ottawa's own Parliament Hill. My phototaking skills are lacking I admit, but I was practicing a little bit of photography that day and it looks like I still got much to learn/work on with working with a camera. I hope you like it and sorry if the quality is a little off considering it's my first attempt and everything.

Spoiler for At Parliament Hill:
I like the one with the sunset.

Good enough to be put into a greeting card in my opinion.
Liddo-kun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-14, 07:24   Link #657
Solafighter
Hige

In July and August, i made a trip through Japan. Here are a few of tons photos, i took.

Spoiler for photos:
Old 2012-09-14, 07:30   Link #658
Merilyn Mensola
I am a Boxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solafighter View Post
In July and August, i made a trip through Japan. Here are a few of tons photos, i took.

Spoiler for photos:

Awesome!!!! good work!!!! +1!!!! are amazing!!!!
Old 2012-09-14, 09:35   Link #659
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Very nice =]

I haven't really been taking many photo lately but here are a few of them~

Images
Images
Images

I'll be over in the states (Florida) in September so hopefully I'll get some nice photos when I'm over.
OH MY! What is the building/structure in Photos 1 & 3? I think that would make a really awesome display if you blew it up.. I'm almost tempted to get it blown up and framed to put in my condo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solafighter View Post

Spoiler for photos:
GORGEOUS! I was in Japan back in April myself, but we just had a 7-8 year old point & shoot with us so none of our photos look as good as these. Seeing Kinkakuji glittering in the sun sure brings back memories..
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-15, 13:27   Link #660
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
OH MY! What is the building/structure in Photos 1 & 3? I think that would make a really awesome display if you blew it up.. I'm almost tempted to get it blown up and framed to put in my condo!
Titanic Belfast

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
photography