AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2004-07-31, 08:04   Link #1
cercia_highelf
Virtue

Star Ocean: Till the End Of Time

This looks like a great game, I liked playing the first one on translated ROM (also got the original), and the second one was good fun. The third one, while it seems a little linear, has some wonderful CG and SFX, and nice music too. The fights are cool. Apparently this game had a few setbacks, but should be due for release in UK.

If you have any thoughts, post here.

Last edited by cercia_highelf; 2004-09-06 at 08:09.
cercia_highelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-31, 11:22   Link #2
Kaka
罪人クロノ

although I haven't played the first and second, but third is a great game ^_^
always fun to play with, love the battle system
but the only one thing I don't like about is how the music always "cover" the characters' voices while speaking +_+ And personally I don't really like the 2nd half of the story ^^bb
Kaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-31, 16:34   Link #3
Chronissz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaka
although I haven't played the first and second, but third is a great game ^_^
always fun to play with, love the battle system
but the only one thing I don't like about is how the music always "cover" the characters' voices while speaking +_+ And personally I don't really like the 2nd half of the story ^^bb
Star Ocean the second story had a horrible translation, and thats really the only thing im looking at right now.

A bad translation ruins an rpg, so even if this game is epic and amazing, with another bad translation it is meaning-less.

Hopefully they wont ruin their rpg from the offset by doing what they did on the PS one. 50% of all sentences didnt make any sense, and most of them were one or two words like, Yes, or OK!. Ridiculously stupid dialogue that ruined the game for me.
Chronissz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-01, 04:02   Link #4
Kaka
罪人クロノ

Yup, this feeling grows stronger especially when knowing both languages ^^bbb
that's why every single game I play is in japanese ^_^
Old 2004-08-10, 13:22   Link #5
Ragnarok6502
the apocolips comes

Never played the first considering it was never realeased in the states. Loved the second one and really looking forward to this one. Comes out sep. 4 where I live.
Ragnarok6502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-10, 14:15   Link #6
DekaMaster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronissz
Star Ocean the second story had a horrible translation, and thats really the only thing im looking at right now.

A bad translation ruins an rpg, so even if this game is epic and amazing, with another bad translation it is meaning-less.

Hopefully they wont ruin their rpg from the offset by doing what they did on the PS one. 50% of all sentences didnt make any sense, and most of them were one or two words like, Yes, or OK!. Ridiculously stupid dialogue that ruined the game for me.

Star Ocean 2nd was released by Enix only. Star ocean 3 is by Square-Enix. And from what I have seen they put more into this. And for those that are complaining about the wait,I for one am happy to wait. Because of the wait we are getting the SO3 directors cut.
DekaMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-11, 11:18   Link #7
KeithCourage
Kitto Yuuki

Send a message via ICQ to KeithCourage Send a message via MSN to KeithCourage
I live in Canada, and am waiting for the overseas director's cut as well, I have it reserved for Sept the 1st. Need to beat it to death before school starts XD. It's gonna be great. I hear there are a lot of flaws in the sound department, but regardless, ign gave it 9.0. Is the voice acting really that bad? I know about the music covering the voices thing, but in the previews i kinda liked the voices for a the main characters.
KeithCourage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-13, 17:09   Link #8
Chronissz

" Unlike Xenosaga, however, Star Ocean never feels anywhere near as dramatic -- thanks in part to somewhat spotty pacing and absolutely terrible voice-acting.

In fact, the voice acting inevitably kills the mood during some of the most powerful scenes. With amateurish deliveries, bad timing, and multiple characters that seem to share the same actor. And given the Japanese version's incredibly high-profile cast (talent from Bubblegum Crisis, Scryed, Vandread, and Love Hina provided their duties overseas), the choice to go low budget in this regard was a poor one." -IGN

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/536/536515p1.html

Anyways they gave it a 9.0, but the part I focus on is plot, because I havnt played a great plot oriented RPG in years, and it looks like this one does not deliver as well.

Thats not to say its a bad game, its just wont satisfy ME, but for other people out there who just wanted SO goodness and dont mind a slow paced plot then it seems like this games a real gem.

I dont care much about the voice acting, as I expect every japanese RPG with voice acting to go bad during translation...American companies dont care at all about voice acting, thats been made obvious over years and years of poor actors.

I guess I'm gonna have to wait a few more years to get a really great plot-driven rpg that tells an epic story with amazing characters that I cant stop playing because its so damn interesting. Its been awhile since I played a game like that, but I'll keep my hopes up that someone out there can produce such a game :/
Chronissz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-14, 23:52   Link #9
Kaka
罪人クロノ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekaMaster
Star Ocean 2nd was released by Enix only. Star ocean 3 is by Square-Enix. And from what I have seen they put more into this. And for those that are complaining about the wait,I for one am happy to wait. Because of the wait we are getting the SO3 directors cut.
actually the japanese verson of SO3 was still released by Enix
since it was released on Feb 28, 2003 if I am not mistaken

square and enix were merged in the following april ^^
Old 2004-08-21, 12:01   Link #10
Wishmaster
The Oceanborn

Send a message via AIM to Wishmaster Send a message via MSN to Wishmaster
I cant wait to play this game. I see people complaining about its sound, I really dont think I'll care at all, I thought Grandia 1 had decent sound and voiceovers and whatnot whereas everyone else said it was total crap, so I dont think SO3 can be any worse then Grandia in that department. Also I hate bad translations but at the same time I dont care really. I mean I loved Legend of Dragoon but that game had a horrid translation and I dont think Star Ocean The Second Story had to bad of one either, at least not compared to LOD and since Square has something to do with the game now, Im sure the translation will be much much better than that of what Second Story was.
Wishmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-23, 01:46   Link #11
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

i honestly never thought SO2 had a bad translation...corny vocals (especially Precis..."There's Mr. Enemy!") but it was a really fun game...ate up as much if not MORE of my free time than FF7 and FFT
i really hope SO3 doesn't disappoint
Kyuven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-01, 18:31   Link #12
Soulfang
Inactive Member

I bought it today... it's good so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuven
i honestly never thought SO2 had a bad translation...corny vocals (especially Precis..."There's Mr. Enemy!") but it was a really fun game...ate up as much if not MORE of my free time than FF7 and FFT
i really hope SO3 doesn't disappoint
"That's somewhere around 80 points!"
Soulfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-01, 19:33   Link #13
Jenichan
私のシモベ!

Send a message via AIM to Jenichan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulfang
"That's somewhere around 80 points!"
oh god, i haaaated that, especially when you were a really high level and you're like, no it's quite a bit more than 80 points. What does it mean anyways? 80 exp? 80 hp? 80 skill points?? whatever...
'
Jenichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-02, 00:15   Link #14
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Just got the game today. While I haven't really played enough to give an opinion, from what I have seen so far it should live up to everything I was expecting. Now I just have to get used to this kind of battle system again... Still from what I've seen so far, it looks like none of my other games will be seeing much use for a while.
Old 2004-09-02, 06:52   Link #15
SpikeSpencer
Friendly Neighborhood Nub

Send a message via AIM to SpikeSpencer
Very nice so far .. if you are into the whole cutscene-Xenosaga thing ...cause there is alot of them! But the battle system is so fun its worth the time in story and at this point it still interests me... best music control ive seen in a game to date.... its noticable in the backround because its good and fits the area/scenes you are in, very cool
SpikeSpencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-08, 18:25   Link #16
Iron Monkey

Hmm, 10 hours into it and still enjoying it. I remember reading a review which said this game had the best battle engine in any rpg. I think I'm gonna have to disagree. I'm not a big fan of the fury gauge, as well I find it annoying how you can only block if you have 100% fury. IMO, Tales of Symphonia still has the best battle system I've ever played.

On a side note. As anyone else who's currently played it experienced some weird glitches in the game? Quite often it takes a real long time to load the next screen. It doesn't actually freeze, but it just takes longer to load sometimes. But the weirdest thing that has happened was this one time, after the party rests, it didn't zoom back into the scene when the game resumed, and everything was all minature sized. I had to reset the game to get it back to normal. Not a big deal since I had just saved my game, but weird nonetheless.
Iron Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-08, 22:01   Link #17
Soulfang
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Monkey
Hmm, 10 hours into it and still enjoying it. I remember reading a review which said this game had the best battle engine in any rpg. I think I'm gonna have to disagree. I'm not a big fan of the fury gauge, as well I find it annoying how you can only block if you have 100% fury. IMO, Tales of Symphonia still has the best battle system I've ever played.

On a side note. As anyone else who's currently played it experienced some weird glitches in the game? Quite often it takes a real long time to load the next screen. It doesn't actually freeze, but it just takes longer to load sometimes. But the weirdest thing that has happened was this one time, after the party rests, it didn't zoom back into the scene when the game resumed, and everything was all minature sized. I had to reset the game to get it back to normal. Not a big deal since I had just saved my game, but weird nonetheless.
Yeah, the game is pretty buggy. Just be glad we didn't get the original version, which was WORSE.
Soulfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-08, 23:01   Link #18
DekaMaster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulfang
Yeah, the game is pretty buggy. Just be glad we didn't get the original version, which was WORSE.

I am 30 hours in and there are no bugs.
DekaMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-08, 23:01   Link #19
mah_damey

Quote:
Tales beats this game in more ways than not, if that makes sense.
mah_damey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-08, 23:56   Link #20
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:

I think grandia's battle system is the best in any rpg. what other game could get away wiht having side quests that have no point except to fight? Most rpgs you get sick of battles, but grandia you actually seek the out. Star ocean's battle system is good too, but not quite as good. tales of symphonia, i haven't played, so I can't comment on it.
Anyway, i've had that loading problem too. I thought it was my ps2. I have a 3rd generation, so it's actually surprising it still works. Hmm... maybe running the game in the diagnostic mode would help....