AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hanasaku Iroha

Notices

Old 2011-04-18, 17:37   Link #841
Peanutbutter

Oh god, that old man, I laughed until my face had cramps.

The change in direction in Ep 3 from Ohana's emoing to one of the most wacky episode in anime took me by surprise, but it was comedic gold.
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 17:55   Link #842
Silverwyrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
You just beat me to it,I was just going to post about that.Considering she's disowned her daughter,you'd think that she'd not be very pleased with Ohana reminding her of her daughter,but on the contrary,she seems quite pleased.That to me is really a "plot twist",I even remember people speculating that Ohana was starting to get grandma's aproval because she wasn't acting like her mom.

Also about the whole reaction to this episode,I was getting a bit of a déjà vu impression,then I remember,this show is done by the same people that did Canaan.
Now,both shows are in completely oposite genres but I remember people complaining that sometimes Canaan seemed to want to "serious and gritty" and in other parts not so much.They wanted the show to pick a side but it never really did.
We've seen Ohana's mother and her irresponsible attitude. We can also talk about bad mothering she did, but at the same time she was also very likeable. She was also probably even more out there when she was younger. For a stern, business-like woman like the grandma I could see the two clashing terribly and ending in the disowning. Being a mother though, she probably eventually got over it and realized the charm her daughter had even if it was careless and against her own nature. Ohana's has a similar charm and hyper that her mother has but I also feel she is harder working (her mother's answer to things seems to be "run away lol!") so she probably reminds her grandmother of the better aspects of her while holding enough responsibility (even if a bit of a reckless one) to not entirely clash and repel like they once did.

I've actually witnessed something similar (but not as dramatic) in my own family. The grandmother's pride in her ways is probably something that gets in the way of any wish to reconcile, not to mention she knows that if she saw her daughter again it would just irritate her. She can appreciate some of the qualities and charm of her daughter even if she can't approve or put up with them herself. Of course she wouldn't openly admit any of this
Silverwyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 20:52   Link #843
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

I thought this is a shoujo anime, but I was wrong
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 21:42   Link #844
Nochgo
iceman
*Scanlator

Wow, this was an unexpected episode. Considering how episode 2 ended, I thought the writer was going to kidnap/shut her up or do some other horrible things. But instead, Ohana follows him to his room where she lets him bondage-tie her. I mean, huh? He's a full grown adult with a look of *evil intension* (from end of eps 2), writing erotic stuff about her, and the thought of danger doesn't even come across her mind?

Beside from that part, I thought everything else was pretty good. I loved the grandma's lax attitude, as she made a stop while chasing the writer. They really don't think much of the writer, do they. And, fan services were a plus.
Old 2011-04-18, 23:55   Link #845
revive4563

It was not lax attitude.
She was just severe with herself as a hotel manager imo.
revive4563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-19, 01:24   Link #846
winkel

Ohana's the type of girl where if something *bad* did happen to her, she'd be too naive to understand/realize it.

That being said, the fanservice in this episode was a bit out of place...
winkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-19, 01:24   Link #847
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

When I saw Grandma smile at the thought Ohana was like her mother, I imagined that the mother was Grandma's favorite child, the one she saw as most like her. Now she has Ohana and wants to make use of her good qualities and lead her along Grandma's path rather than her mother's.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-19, 04:52   Link #848
wm4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
.... Now she has Ohana and wants to make use of her good qualities and lead her along Grandma's path rather than her mother's.
I seriously doubt so. Nuijin does not seem to have any hope for Ohana
to inherit Kissuiso. Besides, they have Shijima, Ohana's uncle, and he
looks ok.

I think Nuijin was glad that Ohana has learned & kept the ability to adapt,
even though that Ohana was not very happy with it.
This is a good personality that many young Japanese did not learn.

Comparing Minko/Nako with Ohana....

Last edited by wm4; 2011-04-19 at 05:15.
wm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-19, 06:08   Link #849
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

All Tied Up.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-19, 08:21   Link #850
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Also about the whole reaction to this episode,I was getting a bit of a déjà vu impression,then I remember,this show is done by the same people that did Canaan.
Now,both shows are in completely oposite genres but I remember people complaining that sometimes Canaan seemed to want to "serious and gritty" and in other parts not so much.They wanted the show to pick a side but it never really did.
Haha. I remember that episode... that was quite random and silly. However, CANAAN never felt like a serious, hardcore serious action anime from the very start with characters like Maria and Yunyun. The "serious" moments were mostly between the fight scenes of Canaan and Alphard. A serious action anime of the same genre (girls with guns) would be something more like Noir or Phantom: Requiem of a Phantom or maybe even Gunslinger girl, though that was more of a thriller/drama.

In all honesty, Mari Okada isn't that great of a script writer when it comes to non-slice of life shows. Canaan, Fractale and Gosick have all been not top quality. At least she's giving it a try though and still coming out at least average.

This show however, kinda needs to decide. The next few episodes will tell us where it's going, but if it decides to go the jumble drama --> comedy ---> drama ---> comedy, that would be probably the worst option imo. I much rather the rest of the series be like episode 3, then have episodes that was like 1 - 2 followed by another episode 3 like one. That way, I'll definately know that it will then be a slice of life/comedy with a bit of drama and 'lower' my standards accordingly. Of course, my most desired is if episode 3 was one-off and they go back to the style that was present in ep 1 + 2.

Last edited by Pocari_Sweat; 2011-04-19 at 08:40.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-19, 15:32   Link #851
Ushio the Omega

The change of tone was too much DROPPED.
Ushio the Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-19, 16:15   Link #852
doomknight

Well at the end of episode 2 i thought he would do perv things to Ohana.. hopefully didnt go very far... the yuri scenes were just hot, Nako was awesome jumping from the hill and rescuing the movelist.. and when she came out of water.. oh man she was so HOT , im glad Ko got to send her a message wishing her luck. Waiting next episode for the new girl!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
Episode 3 freebies.

Gonna take this one thank you
Old 2011-04-19, 16:29   Link #853
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

Dammit, Nako, stop being so hot this instant, young lady.

Was surprised to discover that the OP single is already out. Now it's stuck in my head.
ThereminVox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-19, 16:43   Link #854
Silverwyrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ushio the Omega View Post
The change of tone was too much DROPPED.
I wouldn't be so hasty, I mean what if this was just an odd one out?
Silverwyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-19, 17:32   Link #855
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverwyrm View Post
I wouldn't be so hasty, I mean what if this was just an odd one out?
You know,considering we got swimsuit promo art I'd guess we're at least getting the obligatory beach episode which could possibly be in the same tone as this.
Old 2011-04-19, 17:46   Link #856
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Just great, lol.... Yea, I expect some more crappy episodes like that.

But it doesn't have to be this way. Mai-HiME for example, had a beach episode that snuck some character development in while providing the mandatory fanservice. Fanservice and moving the narrative where the characters are in character (aka everyone doesn't act retarded just to move the episode along) is not mutually exclusive. Of course, it would require actual effort, but yea.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-19, 17:55   Link #857
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Just great, lol.... Yea, I expect some more crappy episodes like that.

But it doesn't have to be this way. Mai-HiME for example, had a beach episode that snuck some character development in while providing the mandatory fanservice. Fanservice and moving the narrative where the characters are in character (aka everyone doesn't act retarded) is not mutually exclusive. Of course, it would require actual effort, but yea.
People finally begin to realize it As for acting out-of-character in episode 3, isn't it extremely early to figure out each character's personality in 2/24 episodes for saying that in the third they behaved differently
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-19, 17:59   Link #858
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
People finally begin to realize it As for acting out-of-character in episode 3, isn't it extremely early to figure out each character's personality in 2/24 episodes for saying that in the third they behaved differently
Well, naturally you can only base it on what you've seen; that's just part of the viewing experience.

Is the likelihood of us progressing further and finding this episode to be a stroke of genius high? If they do, I can still retract my statement but I really doubt it has any impact. It's gonna be very hard to make this all come together. Honestly, I'd rather they not bother.

Besides, I brought up Yosuga no Sora earlier as an example of effective fanservice/comedy. (Not the sex, that's of course part of the comedy ) And yes, I think the actual execution of that in this particular episode wasn't very good.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2011-04-19 at 19:26. Reason: bleh, terrible grammar
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-19, 18:35   Link #859
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Really enjoying this show. Ohana is such an endearing character, not without problems, but strong enough to overcome them without too much baggage.

As far as ep 3, the writer's story(no, not THAT story =0\) was horrible. Well, rather than say it was horrible, I'll say that I could not empathize with him at all. Maybe because his trouble's weren't obviously apparent until this episode and ended too quickly, but whatever it was, it was annoying, both his story and his character. At least it gave us a peek into Nako's persona a bit(and the nice view of her afterwards =03), not to mention Ohana looking adorable being all tied up X03. Was it worth half the episode watching the writer drown(har har) himself in self-pity? Not quite for me =0<.

The grandma kinda disappointed me. I thought she would be a hard nut, thru&thru, but she turned out to be another grandma giving tough love to her granddaughter. Doesn't make her char bad or anything, I was just hoping it wouldn't be that common scenario for once.

And I can't say I'm enthralled with Chiomi doing Minko's voice too much. I especially hate the "shiinei/Die" line =0<. Clearly it is because I am used to her doing roles like NnA's Jun and Soremachi's Hotori rather than more serious chars like Minko. I think her voice is more fitting for roles that are more comical, since she uses a voice range(like when she's shrilling) that made me enamored with her voice in the first place. I think I would prefer her to branch out and do other types of roles than just for one type of char though(*coughcoughkugiyamacoughcough*).
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-19, 20:01   Link #860
broken270
Defying gravity

Spoiler:
broken270 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, coming of age, drama, p.a. works, pa works, romance, slice of life