AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2011-06-16, 15:42   Link #221
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

As forementioned, Nintendo has never focused on multimedia- "it's all about the gaming". Why add something that their competitors are pumping so much work into and are constantly trying to optimize? Let PS3 and 360 focus on DVD/Blu-Rays, or even better, use a separate player! I have a 360 and I never use it for DVDs. NEVER.

As for DLC; yes, it IS atrocious. Bloody $10-15 nowadays; might as well buy another NES game that I'll enjoy forever. And I don't even want to talk about promotional DLC. damnyouEAyou'regoingtoruinBattlefield3
Old 2011-06-16, 18:09   Link #222
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
You want to give Nintendo even more money for lazy re-releases of the same games?
Everybody is doing HD remakes nowadays. Nintendo might as well join them. I'd like to play Wind Waker in 1080p, personally.

I know, Nintendo doesn't have to offer DVD and BR playback like Sony and MS, but these little extras, which shouldn't cost that much, could do some good for the Wii U. That probably applies for HDDs with every system, too. I'm fine with no DVD and BR playback and no HDD included (to a degree, it may limit devs with Wii U downloadable games) since you can hook up an external HDD. But I've seen others online be grouchy about some of these shortcomings, which shows these things matter to people, and that matters to me, since I want to see Nintendo do really well with the Wii U. I want to see Nintendo succeed, because I really like Nintendo systems.

And my friend was making a point. If Nintendo skimps on some things and omits some things made standard by Playstation and XBox systems, it provides less incentive for some gamers to buy a Wii U.

And Benoit, you say a lot of Wii Us will be in living rooms and probably won't be able to stream content to bedrooms, but I was talking about content streaming to the controller while someone is in bed when their Wii U is in the same room. And watching DVDs on the controller would be a good extra. Many Wii Us will be in living rooms, like you said, and I'm sure some people would stream DVD content to a controller while someone watches TV, if that was possible with Wii U. Or how about a couple in bed with the bedroom TV. Someone could watch TV and someone could not only play games on the Wii U controller, but have the option of watching DVDs on it, too.

Nintendo says they want to steal away some of the 'couch time' that iPad is winning. If they really want to do that, they should go the extra mile with features, IMO. Also, they are relying so much on this new controller for Wii U. If they are to rely so much on this controller, they might as well really go the distance with features and capablilities with this new controller and the Wii U, instead of just part of that distance. Just my opinion, but it seems many share it, based on what I've seen on other forums.
Old 2011-06-16, 18:25   Link #223
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
You want to give Nintendo even more money for lazy re-releases of the same games?
Yes, yes I would. The thing about Nintendo is that they DO beat dead horses more than a dead horse beating machine (good god, I hope that doesn't exist), but what holds them together is lightness of tone. In the sea of Fallout, Red Dead Redemption, Call of Duty, Halo, Mortal Kombat and Grand Theft Auto games (which are all fantastic, by the way), Nintendo games like Mario, Zelda and Kirby evoke that sort of casual gaming bliss that can't be achieved with the larger, longer titles as forementioned.

That's probably why I love my NES, SNES, Genesis consoles to death. Re-releases like "Super Mario Sunshine 2" is attempting to revive past franchises yes, but Nintendo doesn't just "re-release the same game". They make updates. A new game with an old concept. Imagine if you've played Super Mario Sunshine enough to know how to collect all 120 shines easily. "Boy, Super Mario Sunshine is a great game; it would be wonderful if they made more of this." While Halo 4 and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 are coming out, it's nice to offset such titles with the simpler, colorful games that are easy to pick up and enjoy.

And no, I don't want to hear any of you say that you are a 15th Prestige in Black Ops or you own all the DLC for Halo Reach because you are a hardcore gamer. A true gamer accepts all forms of gameplay and forms no bias within a single genre. FPS games aren't the only games out there, so go out there and play an RPG. A platformer. A puzzle game. An indie game. A beat-em-up. A fighting game. A plane shooter. A text adventure. An RTS. Go boot up an old Commodore 64 or Atari 2600. Now THAT's hardcore.
Old 2011-06-16, 19:15   Link #224
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
a dead horse beating machine (good god, I hope that doesn't exist)
I'm sure a glue factory has one.

Anyway, I don't see what's wrong with "remaking" a game, even if it's seen as "lazy". Who cares, as long as they do it well? If it's remade, rather than merely ported, then good. That means it's being made better, even if it's just graphics. But how about remakes like Super Mario 64 being remade on the DS? Where they added like 30 stars, three more playable characters (I think it was three), and a whole bunch of mini-games?
GDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-17, 09:43   Link #225
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
I'm sure a glue factory has one.

Anyway, I don't see what's wrong with "remaking" a game, even if it's seen as "lazy". Who cares, as long as they do it well? If it's remade, rather than merely ported, then good. That means it's being made better, even if it's just graphics. But how about remakes like Super Mario 64 being remade on the DS? Where they added like 30 stars, three more playable characters (I think it was three), and a whole bunch of mini-games?
Yea I can agree with that but then I'm not bothered about the "negative" stigma remakes get.
Hell I can even enjoy Hollywood remakes.

If they do a real proper job on a remake, then I see no reason to revisit old games, as alot of these older games were brilliant.
Nothing wrong with wanting to see it with a new lick of paint and new content.
Zelda: OOT 3DS shows that remakes work and are worth it.
Old 2011-06-18, 07:26   Link #226
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7
I'd like to play Wind Waker in 1080p, personally.
You can already do that. Get the Dolphin emulator. No need to give Nintendo money for a lazy graphical quality bump.
Quote:
I know, Nintendo doesn't have to offer DVD and BR playback like Sony and MS, but these little extras, which shouldn't cost that much, could do some good for the Wii U.
No, it couldn't.
  • They do cost a non-trivial amount of license money.
  • Everyone has at least one DVD player already, most have multiple.
  • Everyone who cares about Blu-ray (few people) already have a player.
Quote:
But I've seen others online be grouchy about some of these shortcomings, which shows these things matter to people
You've seen some. That doesn't mean that a non-trivial amount of people are.
Quote:
If Nintendo skimps on some things and omits some things made standard by Playstation and XBox systems, it provides less incentive for some gamers to buy a Wii U.
I thought gamers cared about playing games, not watching movies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689
but Nintendo doesn't just "re-release the same game"
Yet that's what Urzu 7 was asking for. A HD update of the same games.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB
If it's remade, rather than merely ported, then good. That means it's being made better, even if it's just graphics.
A simple graphical update that costs the same as an actual new game is a lazy cash-in. No one should get away with it, not even Nintendo. It's even worse than endless sequels.
Old 2011-06-18, 10:27   Link #227
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Kurosu
Quote:
A simple graphical update that costs the same as an actual new game is a lazy cash-in. No one should get away with it, not even Nintendo. It's even worse than endless sequels.
Is anyone really getting away with it? I don't recall single title HD remakes going for 60$. So far, to my knowledge, the HD remakes of recent are all packaged with other HD remakes, like God of War, Shadow of the Collossus/Ico (though not in Japan, even then they're fitted with 3D), and the Metal Gear Solid HD remakes. Having two or more games for the price of one seems fair. Resident Evil 4 and Code Veronica are being remade and sold as downloads, so they probably won't be the same price as a regular game. So with the current trend of HD remakes looking rather positive, I think it's unfair to chastise Nintendo for the possibility of following suit with HD remakes, since we haven't been convinced otherwise yet.

Last edited by Kurosu; 2011-06-18 at 10:38.
Kurosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-18, 10:39   Link #228
GDB

Quote:
If that's all it is, sure. But I don't know of any game that's done that. You either get what Sony does, where they put together multiple games for about 2/3 the price of a new game, or what Nintendo has done (once, with OoT) and up the graphics of a game that wasn't technically released. If you compare it to the original OoT, you get the graphics and Master Quest. If you compare it to the Master Quest disc, well that was never technically sold/released. It was promotional material for Wind Waker.
Old 2011-06-18, 12:44   Link #229
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
I could keep my Wii to play GCN games. Hopefully HD versions of Wind Waker, Super Mario Sunshine, and MP Trilogy hit the Wii U, though.
Looks like the word "version" can be interpreted multiple ways; version either being a variation or a form of something. I'm actually not quite sure what was wanted here, but even if they weren't direct HD updates with nothing else, I'm sure the same effect could be achieved.
Old 2011-06-18, 14:03   Link #230
Sides

The only examples i can think of, that can be defined as HD release are Basara 3, Wii (SD) and PS3 (HD) and Rune Factory Ocean.
Games like ToG and ToG:F, NHM and NMH Paradise are a mixbag, they are HD versions of a game, but with added extras. However in either case, the games are just rendered at a higher resolution.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-18, 19:50   Link #231
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I know about the Dolphin emulator, but last time I checked into it, I found that you need a pretty capable PC to run the games in 1080p and at a good framerate (my PC isn't good enough for Wii/GCN games in 1080p; that run at a good framerate) and on top of that, many people have been having technical issues and crashes with some of the well supported games for Dolphin (like Wind Waker). The many games that don't have good support from the communit (fixing bugs and what not) run very poorly. Wii/GCN emulation has several years more until it runs well and with few bugs for the most supported games.
Old 2011-06-19, 10:51   Link #232
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosu View Post
So with the current trend of HD remakes looking rather positive, I think it's unfair to chastise Nintendo for the possibility of following suit with HD remakes, since we haven't been convinced otherwise yet.
I'm not trying to single out Nintendo here. I think it's ridiculous no matter who does it.
Old 2011-06-19, 13:20   Link #233
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Kurosu
Quote:
I'm not trying to single out Nintendo here. I think it's ridiculous no matter who does it.

Even so, the recent trend of HD remakes show that you at least get your money's worth.
Kurosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-19, 13:22   Link #234
Sides

HD releases can actually do more damage than good. If you flood a platform with HD remakes of old million sellers, and they out do your latest newly developed games, it just shows that people think that your new games are shit.
I reckon this is also a reason why we will never see FFVII remade, because it would just shatter the last bit of confidence SquarEnix staff have left in their talents.
Old 2011-06-19, 13:53   Link #235
Tetra Vaal
Banned

I can't believe it's not going to support DVD or bluray.

It seems like Nintendo is always behind the times.
Tetra Vaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-19, 21:45   Link #236
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetra Vaal View Post
I can't believe it's not going to support DVD or bluray.

They don't want the Wii U to run burned game discs. It is easier to prevent that by making it physically impossible to run DVDs or Blu Ray.
Old 2011-06-20, 06:39   Link #237
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetra Vaal View Post
Behind adopting optical media? Do people really still use DVD or Bluray to watch movies? If the console support media playback via usb and streaming online and over home network, i reckon most people will be fine.
Old 2011-06-20, 09:04   Link #238
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
Do people really still use DVD or Bluray to watch movies?
Umm, yes? Quite a large number of people, in fact.
Old 2011-06-20, 14:01   Link #239
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

To watch movies? What other medium would there be? Anyways, oh no! I don't already have 20 consoles and multiple DVD players that can play DVD/Blu Ray, but I can't have another one on this console.

If you don't have a method to play DVD at least by now, then please be sure to join us in the 21st century sometime before we hit the 22nd one.
Old 2011-06-21, 22:55   Link #240
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

For me it'll all come down to the games, just like how it was with my purchase of a ps3 over an xbox. If Nintendo sticks with kid-friendly games then it'd going to be hard to sell me one of these.

Tags
nintendo