AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Valvrave the Liberator

Notices

Old 2013-02-17, 09:25   Link #81
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningZERO View Post
What!? This is something else!!!
What do you mean ?
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-17, 09:31   Link #82
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Dat choice of singers. Maybe I should give it a try
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-17, 09:46   Link #83
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

nicely said lowegear nicely said.

any new info about episode number

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-17, 10:32   Link #84
Key Board
Carbon

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...promo-streamed

I'm afraid this is going to be another Code Geass rehash

"Jioru" seems like an Japan expy. At it seems that Japan is pretending to be the middle east again.

I wonder what's their excuse of the major powers inevitably invading an isolated country like Jioru.

If it's something like Sakuradite again, I am am going to puke. Or maybe they're going to be a Gundam Seed's Orb expy and go with the technology angle. Still not any better.

Also..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba-P2sldCV4

"A world where there is no such thing as winning or losing. I would like that kind of world"

That's rubbing me the wrong way.. Is this what Japanese youths relate to nowadays?
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-17, 10:40   Link #85
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...promo-streamed

I'm afraid this is going to be another Code Geass rehash

"Jioru" seems like an Japan expy. At it seems that Japan is pretending to be the middle east again.

I wonder what's their excuse of the major powers inevitably invading an isolated country like Jioru.

If it's something like Sakuradite again, I am am going to puke. Or maybe they're going to be a Gundam Seed's Orb expy and go with the technology angle. Still not any better.
I haven't seen most mecha shows myself, but I'll expect Valvrave to somewhat stands out in terms of plot and themes. The problem is that originality seemed almost nonexistant these days. Either that, or there's shows that tried so hard to find something treasurable (read : something that was completely never seen in an anime before) it fails miserably.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-17, 10:49   Link #86
demino_hellsin
That one guy

by virtue of having 2 of my favorite J-pop singers doing the opening... I must give this anime a chance.

D:

EDIT: OMFG... Katsura Hoshino... OMFG *tears in eyes*
demino_hellsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-17, 11:07   Link #87
Kirarakim

The trailer looked pretty cool, love the character designs, music, and the strong seiyuu cast. Like many people here I am very happy with Ryota Osaka as the lead.

TM Revolution singing the opening means I might be able to hear it live at Otakon this year (well depending on if it can be performed without Nana Mizuki).

However Ichiro Okouchi being in charge of series composition doesn't really fill me with confidence. Then again I guess I can hope the story will be closer to his work on Planetes than Code Geass (but Code Geass was the original work).

And while I think Kou Matsuo is a confident director (and I like how he does voice performances) I've actually always ended up being disappointed in all his series in the end (although that may be more because of the script then his directing). Although he is an interesting choice as this doesn't seem like the type of series he usually does. I think his style of directing will be interesting for this type of series.
Old 2013-02-17, 11:31   Link #88
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
http://www.valvrave.com/

The Opening theme is "Preserved Roses" by TM Revolution and Nana Mizuki. The first ED is the previously announced "Boku janai" by Angela, and the second ED is an untitled song by Elisa. The second ED will start from episode 7 onwards.

There's a new PV on the movie page too, and lots of other general updates.
TM. Revo + Nana-chan....much wonders will be made

Quote:

Also..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba-P2sldCV4

"A world where there is no such thing as winning or losing. I would like that kind of world"

That's rubbing me the wrong way.. Is this what Japanese youths relate to nowadays?
And what's the problem? What you WANT is not what you have to deal with in real life. You got a problem with wishing for that kind of life?
Old 2013-02-17, 11:50   Link #89
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

TM Revolution + Nana Mizuki?! I can't wait to hear this. This will be amazing.

I'm extremely pleased with voice cast as well.

Quote:

A lot of people wish for equality and a peaceful life with no wars. It may be a naive ideal but there's nothing wrong with that.
Old 2013-02-17, 12:47   Link #90
Xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim
However Ichiro Okouchi being in charge of series composition doesn't really fill me with confidence. Then again I guess I can hope the story will be closer to his work on Planetes than Code Geass (but Code Geass was the original work).
This is not necessarily a bad thing, in my opinion, even if you didn't like that last work (which I did, for the record). He's worked on several other shows too, with varying results. The exact requirements and circumstances of a given production aren't easily replicated, for better or for worse. That said...I honestly don't see anything of Planetes in this, which combined mostly realistic science fiction with sitcom-like humor and so on, but I really wasn't expecting it either.

The setting and story sounds a lot more like Gundam SEED than Code Geass, in context, particularly since the protagonist will apparently be the one piloting the most powerful robot and there's no unrelated superpowers involved as far as we can tell. I don't think we have enough information to speculate about what will happen past, say, the first couple of episodes though. What extra variables, if any, they will introduce to set this project apart still remain to be seen.

Quote:
And while I think Kou Matsuo is a confident director (and I like how he does voice performances) I've actually always ended up being disappointed in all his series in the end (although that may be more because of the script then his directing). Although he is an interesting choice as this doesn't seem like the type of series he usually does. I think his style of directing will be interesting for this type of series.
I haven't seen enough of his work to comment on that, but at the very least it sounds like bringing someone unfamiliar with this type of material will allow for some additional variety in terms of execution, regardless of the actual content.
Xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-17, 13:06   Link #91
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander View Post
The setting and story sounds a lot more like Gundam SEED than Code Geass, in context, particularly since the protagonist will apparently be the one piloting the most powerful robot and there's no unrelated superpowers involved as far as we can tell.
I think that difference doesn't really matter and the basic plot line is not what I am worried about. I am more worried about the fact that Code Geass while entertaining was too over the top, silly, & had this right wing feel I disliked (even in the first series which fans typically regard as better). I stuck with it because it was entertaining and I liked the main character, but I would hope we would get something with a lot more depth than that.

Although I realize he wasn't the head writer he also worked on Guilty Crown (although only as an associate) and that is even worse than Code Geass.

I never saw Gundam SEED but honestly what I heard about it doesn't interest me.

As for Planetes actually I don't love everything about this series either but it is much more complex then his other works in my opinion & that is why I said I hope we get something more like this series.

Quote:
I haven't seen enough of his work to comment on that, but at the very least it sounds like bringing someone unfamiliar with this type of material will allow for some additional variety in terms of execution, regardless of the actual content.
I didn't say that the fact they he didn't work on this type of series was a bad thing. In fact I think that is a good thing and I am intrigued what he will do with it (especially with how he does the voice acting).

My issue with the director is personal, I've always been disappointed in all of his series in the end even when I started off liking them.
Old 2013-02-17, 13:21   Link #92
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
As for Planetes actually I don't love everything about this series either but it is much more complex then his other works in my opinion & that is why I said I hope we get something more like this series.
That's pretty much due to the original manga more than anything.

As for what it looks like when Kou Matsuo directs mecha? Well he directed this short OVA (thanks to duckroll for the tip):

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2013-02-17, 13:27   Link #93
Xander

Quote:
I think that difference doesn't really matter and the basic plot line is not what I am worried about.
I believe it actually does matter, in my opinion, since those and other differences (no sense in going for a truly detailed comparison before the series has started to air) will affect, directly or indirectly, what specific type of story this will end up trying to be. All of that has a greater or lesser impact.

Quote:
I am more worried about the fact that Code Geass while entertaining was too over the top, silly, & had this right wing feel I disliked (even in the first series which fans typically regard as better).
Personally, I still don't see why you would expect them to be too similar in all those respects. The sense I'm getting from the design work and limited footage for Valvrave would seem to indicate that the show could potentially be less over-the-top, comparatively speaking, beyond the mecha action sequences. Though I wouldn't completely reject the presence of at least some silly elements during the school scenes, for example. Can't really speak for any of the political elements at this early stage.

Ironically enough, I found the fact that the protagonist of Code Geass wasn't even Japanese himself, didn't have any special interest in Japan as a country and was basically manipulating those who could be described as "right-wingers" basically countered that particular sensation you've described, in practice. But I guess that's where our different points of view come in. You could even claim the show had a nationalist bent, to be sure, but I'd say it also had more of a left-wing emphasis in that regard, considering the figure of Zero (and that also affected the over-the-top nature of the series, by the way, through his crazy tricks and stunts. No character in Valvrave seems likely to play that role here, so far, and certainly not the protagonist).

Quote:
Although I realize he wasn't the head writer he also worked on Guilty Crown (although only as an associate) and that is even worse than Code Geass.
He was the assistant writer on that one, to be accurate, and wrote about six episodes. I also didn't like it myself. But the important part is that, once again, I don't think we should judge a writer using only one or two of his projects instead of a more representative selection. Which isn't an universally good record, of course, but it definitely proves that not all his shows are identical in the areas of concern you've previously brought up.

Quote:
I never saw Gundam SEED but honestly what I heard about it doesn't interest me.
Never implied that it should, but I mentioned that because there appear to be more similar elements in Gundam SEED than in anything else right now.

Quote:
I didn't say that the fact they he didn't work on this type of series was a bad thing. In fact I think that is a good thing and I am intrigued what he will do with it (especially with how he does the voice acting).

My issue with the director is personal, I've always been disappointed in all of his series in the end even when I started off liking them.
I see. I wasn't criticizing you though, but keeping expectations low would seem to be the most prudent move on your end.

Last edited by Xander; 2013-02-17 at 13:48.
Old 2013-02-17, 14:30   Link #94
RollingPenguin

Although I do like silly and over the top shows that Ichiro Okouchi does really well (Overman King Gainer and Code Geass) keep in mid that Kou Matsuo is directing this.One of the main focuses he always had in his series is well written dialogue and characters(Kurenai and Natsuyuki Rendezvous),something that silly over the top shows dont really require.Ichiro Okouchi also knows how to write some serious and mature stuff like Turn A Gundam.So no ,I am not expecting here Code Geass this I think will take itself pretty seriously.
RollingPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-17, 14:33   Link #95
Kirarakim

Quote:
I believe it actually does matter, in my opinion, since those and other differences (no sense in going for a truly detailed comparison before the series has started to air) will affect, directly or indirectly, what specific type of story this will end up trying to be. All of that has a greater or lesser impact.
I am not going to get into a debate about Code Geass and the writer's other series.

However, I think you are missing my point. I don't care about basic plot line. I don't care if the character has super powers or just drives a mecha. My issue with the writer has more to do with his themes, characterization, and tone of his story.

Saying I shouldn't judge his work based on only a few things is silly. I am not saying he is not capable of better (in fact I am saying I hope this will be better) but what else should I judge his work than based on what I saw? I mean I judge other writers & directors even though I have not seen every work of theirs.

For me his best work is an adaption. That doesn't mean he can't surprise me and turn out something great. I am still willing to give this series a try.

edit: Thanks for the mecha clip Totum
Old 2013-02-17, 14:38   Link #96
Xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingPenguin View Post
Although I do like silly and over the top shows that Ichiro Okouchi does really well (Overman King Gainer and Code Geass) keep in mid that Kou Matsuo is directing this.One of the main focuses he always had in his series is well written dialogue and characters(Kurenai and Natsuyuki Rendezvous),something that silly over the top shows dont really require.Ichiro Okouchi also knows how to write some serious and mature stuff like Turn A Gundam.So no ,I am not expecting here Code Geass this I think will take itself pretty seriously.
I certainly agree with your larger point, though I'd have to say some of the character dynamics in those other shows were still well-written and fairly interesting in spite of their silly elements, but it is particularly worth remembering that even Turn A wasn't always serious. You had the robot helping out with various chores and picking up cows at one point, as well as couple of other funny situations where Loran ended up crossdressing. Even the villains had some rather whimsical characteristics if you look at them closely. In this case, I think it's not unreasonable to keep an open mind.

EDIT:
Quote:
I am not going to get into a debate about Code Geass and the writer's other series.

However, I think you are missing my point. I don't care about basic plot line. I don't care if the character has super powers or just drives a mecha. My issue with the writer has more to do with his themes, characterization, and tone of his story.
It's not that I'm missing the point, but that I don't really agree with it. What I'm saying is that we shouldn't automatically separate one thing from the other. The tone, themes and characterization aren't inherently unrelated to the structure of the plot and the other elements involved. Certain types of premises promote or favor the presence of certain ideas and situations, which can influence or lead to the aspects you've already discussed. I'm not asking you to agree with me, personally speaking, but I feel an alternative argument is still worth presenting here.

Quote:
Saying I shouldn't judge his work based on only a few things is silly. I am not saying he is not capable of better (in fact I am saying I hope this will be better) but what else should I judge his work on based on what I saw. I mean I judge other writers & directors even though I have not seen every work of theirs.
Once again, you're free to express such opinions. In fact, it's undeniably better to have at least a limited familiarity with the creators rather than none.

I just believe one will tend to have an even better idea about the full range and scope of a writer's or director's abilities, so to speak, by having more experience and taking additional information into consideration.

Quote:
For me his best work is an adaption.
It is. However, Planetes actually had a lot of anime original material, especially but not exclusively during the second half, which isn't strictly following the manga.

Last edited by Xander; 2013-02-17 at 14:57.
Old 2013-02-17, 15:24   Link #97
Kirarakim

Quote:
I
I just believe one will tend to have an even better idea about the full range and scope of a writer's or director's abilities, so to speak, by having more experience and taking additional information into consideration.
Of course the more familiar you are with a writer/director the better judge you can be (I am not disputing that). But I think I am familiar enough with the writer to say my judgement is not unfounded. There are just certain things common to a number of his works that I am not a fan of. And on another note I actually have seen more of his works than I listed (although certainly not everything).

Quote:
It is. However, Planetes actually had a lot of anime original material, especially but not exclusively during the second half, which isn't strictly following the manga.
And some of the changes the anime makes from the manga are actually the issues I have with Planetes but that's neither here nor there.

Quote:
that I don't really agree with it. What I'm saying is that we shouldn't automatically separate one thing from the other. The tone, themes and characterization aren't inherently unrelated to the structure of the plot
Perhaps but I want to point out that I can think of series with very silly premises that do have the depth that I am speaking is lacking in many of this writers original works.

Last edited by Kirarakim; 2013-02-17 at 15:41.
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-17, 15:44   Link #98
RollingPenguin

Quote:
I certainly agree with your larger point, though I'd have to say some of the character dynamics in those other shows were still well-written and fairly interesting in spite of their silly elements, but it is particularly worth remembering that even Turn A wasn't always serious. You had the robot helping out with various chores and picking up cows at one point, as well as couple of other funny situations where Loran ended up crossdressing. Even the villains had some rather whimsical characteristics if you look at them closely. In this case, I think it's not unreasonable to keep an open mind.
Turn A Gundam had those moments of silliness so it can point out how precious peace is.Something wildly different from silliness of King Gainer(which didnt take itself seriously at all). Also characterization is such works as Code Geass is completely bonkers(sudden chage of Suzakus heart in part was rather inconsistent with his character)but it is fine cause that is not required in a show like that.But I have hard believing Kou Matsuo will go in that direction.
RollingPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-17, 16:44   Link #99
kuromitsu

I quite like what I've seen so far. I'm not expecting great things from this show, just some entertaining fluff, and it seems it can do that.

I do hope it won't end up like Code Geass, though. I dropped that show after a few episodes because it was just so annoying.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-17, 16:50   Link #100
Xander

Quote:
Of course the more familiar you are with a writer/director the better judge you can be (I am not disputing that). But I think I am familiar enough with the writer to say my judgement is not unfounded. There are just certain things common to a number of his works that I am not a fan of. And on another note I actually have seen more of his works than I listed (although certainly not everything).
Quote:
Perhaps but I want to point out that I can think of series with very silly premises that do have the depth that I am speaking is lacking in many of this writers original works.
That's fair enough, I guess, but since you had only explicitly mentioned a couple of his shows here, I felt it was warranted to mention those aren't the only ones we should take into consideration. I'm not only thinking about original works but, more specifically, those where Okouchi was the main writer. Unless an adaptation is being perfectly faithful, the writer still has a level of creative input. Of course, I can see that the conclusions each of us will reach aren't going to be the same regardless of that fact.

I'd disagree about most of his works having the same things in common, in all honesty, but I suppose that's also where our different interpretations and judgments come in. I tend to have varying opinions about each of them, including both their positives and negatives.

Quote:
And some of the changes the anime makes from the manga are actually the issues I have with Planetes but that's neither here nor there.
I didn't like some of the earlier changes myself, but I didn't have any serious problems with the later ones. I agree this isn't the best place to elaborate on such details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingPenguin View Post
Turn A Gundam had those moments of silliness so it can point out how precious peace is.Something wildly different from silliness of King Gainer(which didnt take itself seriously at all).
You could interpret several of the lighter moments that way, I'm sure, but the result is we saw a non-insignificant amount of comedy and just plain weirdness in certain parts of the show. We could get into some of the other examples at this point, but I feel enough has already been said about the subject. And yes, I agree that Overman King Gainer is more consistently ridiculous all cross the board, though not without a couple of interesting situations. In any case, I'm not thinking Valvrave will go that far either. Particularly since it seems this might not be a very long series.

Quote:
Also characterization is such works as Code Geass is completely bonkers(sudden chage of Suzakus heart in part was rather inconsistent with his character)but it is fine cause that is not required in a show like that.
Yes and no. There were some issues, especially towards the end, but I don't share your generalization. If anything, the over-the-top nature of the material provided a number of triggers for such sudden developments (Suzaku wasn't exactly in a relaxed state of mind, to say the least). At the same time, I still felt a lot of the preceding material was adequate.

Quote:
But I have hard believing Kou Matsuo will go in that direction.
Well, I'll take your word for it. I'm admittedly not familiar enough with him to comment on that.

It would be pretty interesting to read an interview in order to see what approach the director is taking this time around. Those aren't always translated, to be sure, but when they do, sometimes they provide a lot of food for thought and serves to clear the audience's mind about what should or shouldn't be expected. That's not to say there haven't been some cases where even the creators aren't able to produce the results they want, naturally enough.

Tags
action, body swapping, fukujun, love polygon, mecha, sci-fi, space, space idol, vampire