AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2011-10-16, 12:43   Link #21
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Faction variations WOULD be pretty damn awesome. I think I'd like that better than what we have in DOW 2, where you select different heroes to get different tech trees. In this way you're selecting different army tech trees to get different things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
Oh, yes, please! It's about time the Imperial Guards and Orks actually use their numerical superiority to the hilt.

Micromanaging wargears for each unit would be a headache though . I wonder if they're gonna make us select the weapons during battle or make us configure our preferred unit and weapon compositions before the game starts so in battle we'll only worry about choosing them.

Not to mention it would be nice if each army of the same faction can actually be different (Harakoni vs Catachan, Ultramarines vs Black Templars, etc) instead of mere skin changes.
Some kind of Total War pre battle configuration COULD be cool.

Though maybe you could also have IG outfit their entire squad with one type of special weapon all at once to simplify the process. Kinda like how they did it in Company of Heroes. If you had allot of IG squads, it'd certainly be helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallschirmjager View Post
I'd just love a full blown video game representation of the table top game with kick ass graphics and animations.
Much agreed! You could handle it like Total War, where before the game the players are given army configuration choices. This might make say, implementing the IG platoon structure easier. Instead of picking individual IG squads, you'd instead pick a platoon command squad, and be able to add individual squads and Heavy/special Weapon Teams to them.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-16, 16:41   Link #22
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

If it has big ass battles like in the first one, il be so hyped.
I did like the tactical battles in the second but didnt feel very 40k battle like.
Also if they announce necrons being reintroduced il be in loveee.
Old 2011-10-16, 16:47   Link #23
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

I really like the RTS feel like Warcraft 3/Command and Conquer where you build your base and kill enemies did fit for Warhammer 40k. The RTS feel like Company of Heroes doesn't really fit for Warhammer 40k in my personal opinion. Yes, it does help that it brings some good strategy points like taking cover/setting ambushes/etc but the way Dawn of War 2 introduced it. It really didn't bring out the full potential like many other people are saying of the Imperial Guard or Orks massive number overwhelming their enemies.

The Tyranids could have used a bit more troops in their groups in Dawn of War 2 in my opinion as well But having a Total War RTS feel would certainly be interesting for Dawn of War 3. But revamping it so it doesn't undermine itself gameplay-wise like Empire/Napoleon Total War did (although I did like those games, the battles just felt strange).

We need some Tau/Necron action
Old 2011-10-16, 17:55   Link #24
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Well this isn't necessarily going exactly with Total War scale or gameplay mechanics. Those don't necessarily work for rapid fire gun based combat, or loose formations. Since 40k involves lots of shooting and melee you need a very particular way to go about handling it.

I'm more talking about constructing armies prior to battle (like in custom games), or building up armies on the campaign make and moving them about. THAT'S something I think would work extremely well for 40k.
Old 2011-10-17, 00:18   Link #25
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Another problem with large scale battles: considering how DoW2 made efforts to bring Space Marines closer to fluff power levels by making individual Space Marines powerful, having a massive-scale game ala Total War or Supreme Commander would make Space Marines rather difficult to implement if they plan on sticking to lore. Unless they make each individual Space Marine so absurdly powerful that it borders on imbalanced.

It's best to start out small and then expand the army sizes to accomodate factions that rely on numbers (Tyranids, Imperial Guard, Orks) rather than making it large and then trying to accomodate special forces.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-17, 01:30   Link #26
KBTKaiser

Isn't there Dark Millenium Online in the pipeworks somewhere?
KBTKaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-17, 01:37   Link #27
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBTKaiser View Post
Isn't there Dark Millenium Online in the pipeworks somewhere?
It is. It's being worked on by Vigil Games (who worked on Darksiders) though and not Relic.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-17, 11:52   Link #28
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

If DoW3 is like total war, I don't find it that appealing, rather to build my army from the bottom.
Old 2011-10-17, 15:30   Link #29
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Another problem with large scale battles: considering how DoW2 made efforts to bring Space Marines closer to fluff power levels by making individual Space Marines powerful, having a massive-scale game ala Total War or Supreme Commander would make Space Marines rather difficult to implement if they plan on sticking to lore. Unless they make each individual Space Marine so absurdly powerful that it borders on imbalanced.

It's best to start out small and then expand the army sizes to accomodate factions that rely on numbers (Tyranids, Imperial Guard, Orks) rather than making it large and then trying to accomodate special forces.
So, something like the first DoW had? Except a few minor tweaks (without the need for more air units *stares at Soulstorm*) to base construction? Or maybe like how Roger Rambo put it about having an opportunity to select which forces you want to use for battle beforehand.
Old 2011-10-17, 19:29   Link #30
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak3mi View Post
If DoW3 is like total war, I don't find it that appealing, rather to build my army from the bottom.
I do understand how many people prefer that. However I'm just trying to think of alternatives to the campaign in DOW 2, where you didn't build armies at all.

Quote:
I'd actually argue against this. It didn't feel that *Space Marines* were particularly powerful in Dawn of War 2. It felt like the highly upgradable named Squad leader characters were very powerful, and that the other Marines were just not particularly impressive red shirts. Though keep in mind I haven't been playing the Multiplayer to much. You are right about the fluff Marines not working on the epic scale. Though I think it's more the way firepower scales with the size of a *fluff* Imperial Guard or Space Marine army.

It bassically comes down to the fact that while the average Imperial Guardsmen can't compare to a even a basic fluff Tactical Marine at all...Fluff Space Marine vehicles and artillery are merely a shoulder above individual examples of what the Guard have, and lack the scale.

A 5 man combat squad might scoff at the challenge presented at fighting 100 Guardsmen...but what about a Predator tank having to face 20 lemen Russ tanks? Or a Whirldwind getting into an artillery duel with 20 earth shaker cannons? Or what's a Space Marine company fighting as a unified formation supposed to do if Titans show up?

There's a reason the whole *angel of death* thing doesn't really show up in 40k tabletop or RTS. It's something that's more conducive to 1 man army action game sequences than army based combat games. There it tends to be more viable to represent Marines man for man standing a head and a shoulder above most enemies, rather than having them scraping by their ankles.
Old 2012-09-11, 09:36   Link #31
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

So here's an update about DOW3

Dawn of War 3 will let you “build your own custom mega army”
Old 2012-09-11, 09:43   Link #32
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:

You know fluff-wise every race gets a similar boost too...not just Marines
Old 2012-09-11, 13:13   Link #33
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
That *update* is over a year old
Old 2012-09-11, 18:42   Link #34
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

I thought this had new information, but I was wrong . I wonder if THQ will be able to follow through on this game. Seeing as the recession hit them hard and they had a lot of lay offs. Would be nice to see some updates on it.
Old 2012-09-12, 08:43   Link #35
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

THQ aren't the ones making the game. Relic games is. THQ is only the publisher.

Relic is making Company of Heroes 2 right now, so we probably won't see anything for DOW 3 for awhile.
Old 2012-09-12, 11:27   Link #36
Destined_Fate

I just want the Grey Knights to get their own deal, they aren't just some Super Space Marine Units.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-12, 13:03   Link #37
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

Oh ok, have Relic had any trouble with the recession or is it unknown?
Old 2012-09-12, 17:11   Link #38
Newhope

Quote:
Oh ok, have Relic had any trouble with the recession or is it unknown?
Relic and Vigil got hit hard about March time THQ laid off about half there staff, the Dark Millennium MMO basically had the MMO part of the game axed as well.
Newhope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-12, 18:26   Link #39
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

Yeah, dark millennium became the game we know now as space marine? or am I way off?
Old 2012-09-12, 19:35   Link #40
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Yeah, dark millennium became the game we know now as space marine? or am I way off?
Way off. First off, Relic (Space Marine) is not the developer of Dark Millennium.

Secondly, DMillennium is currently a Single-Player Game production. It hasn't been released yet.

Cheers.