AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-04-28, 09:59   Link #1
Yong

Romance - Reunion after X years

Hey guys,

I'm looking for either manga or anime where there are two childhood friends who like each other alot but then seperates. And after x years (when they are in highschool or smth like that) they see each other again.

I have read Love Hina, but it was a long time ago and I think something like this happend. I'm not sure.

Thanks for suggestions.
Old 2010-04-28, 11:56   Link #2
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Kanon, definitely. Specifically the 2006 one by KyoAni. (I haven't seen the earlier Toei version but the common opinion seems to be that it's bad, for whatever that's worth).
Old 2010-04-28, 19:38   Link #3
GreatTeacherKen

Myself; Yourself has this as the basic premise. The main character Sana returns to his home town and discovers that his childhood friend/love interest Nanaka has changed considerably; she's much more distant than she used to be. There's other drama besides this, but it's one of the major conflicts.
Old 2010-04-28, 21:02   Link #4
Full Metal Coast
-Gantzer-

Location: Perth, Western Australia - Down Where The City Meets The Sea
ill second myself;yourself,
or you could try
Kimi No Iru Machi
Omamori Himari
Old 2010-04-28, 21:15   Link #5
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Aoi Hana (both female though)
5 Centimetres Per Second
Beyond the Clouds - The Promised Place
Genshiken (but in a more otaku-like, twisted humour way)
Elfen Lied (but it contains gore and nudity)
Old 2010-04-29, 04:03   Link #6
JRendell
Manga Addict

Sora no Manimani fits in quite perfectly for that. The reunion is after 7 years, and is set in High School.
Old 2010-04-29, 06:29   Link #7
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
Yeah Myself; Yourself is exactly what you're looking for I reckon.

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
Old 2010-04-29, 08:26   Link #8
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I would definitely second 5 Centimeters Per Second. That's exactly what it's about so it's perfect for what you're looking for.
Old 2010-04-29, 08:34   Link #9
Coreyrn

Maybe Winter Sonata? Though they are not in High School when they meet again. And it is still ongoing.
Old 2010-04-29, 11:54   Link #10
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Metal Coast View Post
ill second
Omamori Himari
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRendell View Post
Sora no Manimani fits in quite perfectly for that. The reunion is after 7 years, and is set in High School.
I'll second both of those, they both have the premise you want.
MAL
Old 2010-04-29, 13:56   Link #11
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Asatte no Houkou (recently released in R1 as Living for the Day After Tomorrow), features a couple in their twenties who split up while living in the US. The man returned to Japan, but the woman stayed in the US for a few more years. They meet again when the woman returns and encounters the man's younger sister. Strange things happen during the encounter; to say more would spoil.
Old 2010-04-29, 15:57   Link #12
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I would definitely second 5 Centimeters Per Second. That's exactly what it's about so it's perfect for what you're looking for.
this hardly fits the criteria.. the whole story is how they're close as kids, then they drift apart. i'm actually watching it again now, and its so depressing...

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
Old 2010-04-29, 16:04   Link #13
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
this hardly fits the criteria.. the whole story is how they're close as kids, then they drift apart. i'm actually watching it again now, and its so depressing...
Quote:
I'm looking for either manga or anime where there are two childhood friends who like each other alot but then seperates. And after x years (when they are in highschool or smth like that) they see each other again.
Well by that it fits the criteria posted... But, no, I don't think it's in the spirit the OP wants. I too adored 5CMS but bloody hell it's depressing.

Old 2010-04-29, 16:07   Link #14
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

^^ well, precisely because of the bolded part because you know,
Spoiler:

The Place Promised in Our Early Days does fit though. and it actually has a happy ending

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
Old 2010-04-30, 10:24   Link #15
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

in the first episode, its something like 6 months after they initially separate that they see each other again.
Spoiler for plot:

Last edited by germanturkey; 2010-04-30 at 12:57.
Old 2010-04-30, 11:11   Link #16
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I suggest you take this discussion to PMs or else to the 5cm thread to avoid spoilage and moving more off-topic.

I generally avoid discussing whether something is a "correct" answer to a request in the Suggestions thread. Often it takes the discussion away from the broader question and narrows it to a specific show. It also can lead to spoilage if the pertinence of the show to the OP depends on an important plot point.
Old 2010-04-30, 15:56   Link #17
MamoruUsagi

Ayashi no Ceres
Bokura ga Ita
Sand Chronicles
Ceres Celestial Legend

These series have couples that broke up, separated and got back together.
Old 2010-04-30, 17:29   Link #18
Yong

Man I watched 5 cm per second and I realy liked it. But it was so sad

The first episode was exactly what I was looking for but not the other episodes.

I will continue to watch some of your suggestions. But to be more clear than I was before (sorry!), I'm actually looking for a series where they end up together when they reunite

Thanks alot guys!
Old 2010-05-02, 08:42   Link #19
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yong View Post

I will continue to watch some of your suggestions. But to be more clear than I was before (sorry!), I'm actually looking for a series where they end up together when they reunite

Thanks alot guys!
You best fast track Myself; Yourself to the top of your list then.

Old 2010-05-04, 03:46   Link #20
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Love to help out another person who's into the childhood friends, even if only your interested in one subset of the trope. Apologies for not finding this topic soon enough.

Anyways, on to the list, and I'm starting out with the one most relevant to your interests...

KimiKiss Pure Rouge - if you haven't seen it yet, drop everything and download the entire series. Like, RIGHT NOW. Heck, don't even stop anywhere else for a summary, and I am not giving you one because you do not need it. If there is one show you MUST watch, this is it. You will NOT be disappointed, I guarantee you that.

Now with THE show you have to watch out of the way, I'm going with my master list here. List are all shows I know of that includes a boy/girl duo who met as kids, separated for a long time, and then recently reunited.

Spoiler for from Oldest to Newest:

With that, I highly recommend these series (won't name shows that have already been recced BTW)...

Drama focused
Ai Yori Aoshi - a classic. Story about a guy and a girl who have been engaged as kids and were separated for a time. When the girl's parents wants to break of their engagement, the girl runs away to find the guy because she doesn't want their arranged marriage to end, as she's already in love with him

Mizuiro (2003) - short and sweet, but tearjerking nontheless. It had some of the best drawn art of the time as well. About a guy who starts seeing an adult version of a childhood friend he hasn't met for a long time, and he tries to figure out why she is 'haunting' him.

Gift: Eternal Rainbow - It's about a guy who is recently reunited with his former adopted sister. Ueah, if it sounds complicated, it is and its best seen rather than summarized. Don't worry, its not as squicky as it sounds; in fact, I think you'll like their relationship as a child as much as you'd like them now they're grown up. A bit more supernatural, in vein of Kanon, but still emotional

Comedy focused
Goshuushou Sama Ninomiya-kun - the quest to figure out who the girl from the past is a big part of this series, like Love Hina was. A highly entertaining show to say the least, even though it had a harem end. But don't worry, BOTH the contenders are 'recently reunited childhood friends', so that shouldn't be a problem.

Mahoraba: Heartful Days - More slice-of-life, but amusing at the same time. It's about a guy who is starting to study in the city, and has to live in a boarding house with all its colourful denizens (think Hinata Inn), one of them having multiple personalities lol.

Martian Successor Nadesico - mainly a parody of the Mecha genre. Which of course has to have the main couple as childhood friends who were just recently reunited, because its a little known fact that the mecha genre has an abnormally high number of childhood friend LIs in comparison to other shounen genres lol.

Action focused
DNAngel - main story is about a kid who is 'possessed' by a great thief, and how he has to steal pieces of art because they have dangerous supernatural powers. Sure the romance is a smaller part of the story, but I found myself crying at the penultimate moment, so that's saying something

Rahxephon - if you fancy your reunited childhood friends in Neon Genesis Evangelion Style, this is it. The story itself is profound, interesting, and thought-provoking, even though the actual moments when you can 'squee' about the couple are at a minimum. But do note, that their past together is actually a key and integral part of the plot

Vampire Knight - the girl was saved being attacked by a vampire by another boy vampire. Several years later, said boy vampire is now the leader of a bunch of vampires, who are attending the night class of the school her adopted father runs. Romance conflict and Vampire politic/fighting ensue.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Closed Thread