AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Steins;Gate

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-06-25, 01:55   Link #1
Kairin
AnimeSuki's Mascot

This thread is aimed at first time viewers of Steins;Gate and its purpose is to allow spoiler free speculation and theories to be aired. Having them in a central location may help focus the discussion instead of spreading speculation over the various episode discussion threads. If you are knowledgeable of the manga and wish to speculate or discuss theories, then please do not post in this thread (use the Steins;Gate - Spoilers & Speculation (for experienced Steins;Gate viewers only)) thread and do not give away any spoilers in this thread!

Unacceptable post topics:
  • Any form of spoiler from Steins;Gate manga.
  • Any form of game spoilers.
  • Any form of spoilers from visual novels.

Spoiler Policy
  • Any spoiler that reveals future events, even under a spoiler tag, will be deleted.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    to locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.

Magazine previews are an exception to the said rule. You are allowed to discuss those. (Properly labeled spoiler tags required).
Old 2011-06-28, 01:41   Link #2
Ekureiru
神さま、ありがとう!
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Ekureiru Send a message via MSN to Ekureiru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekureiru View Post
I'm taking this time to place a theory...

The beginning was actually prophecy being foretold.

Okarin killed Kurisu (or did something of that nature) to avoid the death of Mayuri.
I'm beginning to think this initial theory of mine is more likely, now thinking back more and getting other speculation and theories from people I'm friends with. Listed below in spoilers. [mod edit: spoiler tags not needed for speculation]

The part-time soldier said she was a SERN-spy and could possibly be well true, and even to the extent that her own father is in SERN. Since Kurisu wants to make up to her father and get along with him once again, she was willing to plot against her friends in order to achieve this. So she constantly leaked information about what they are doing, and indulged herself in experimenting to make sure things go well. She could have possibly even forwarded the hacking of SERN herself

She had so much fun while she was young debating against her father to the point where she was starting to win against him. After idolizing him and him being the very reason why she started to love science, she might be feeling incredibly guilty that she even got her father mad at her in the first place and making it feel more like a "competition" then your friendly father-daughter debate. So she might be at the point where she will go to extreme lengths just to bring that fondship between them back. She also constantly brings the topic back up from time to time.

Ekureiru - An entity commonly recognized by many as being on par with gods.
Last.fm | MyAnimeList | Pettanko Fansubs | Now with a degree in Yanderekology.
Old 2011-07-07, 16:31   Link #3
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Just came up with a crazy theory that will explain Okarin's screams during Kurisu's murder back in episode one... and for the nonsense following, thank the DDoS attack that I had to deal with today at work :/

So it is more or less fate (i.e. divergence factor) that leads to Mayuri's death, so the only way to avoid this is for Kurisu never to meet Okarin, and lead to the series of events, that stop Mayuri from being Okarin's hostage, as well as getting the SERN involved, contacting Titor, etc. So at some point the only option for Okarin to save Mayuri is for him to kill Kurisu

Now, however feasible or plausible it is, I do not believe (or rather hope) that it will come true, because Okarin will be a very sad panda

@Eclair: So here is the explaination for your original theory Let's see who will win, your tsundere or my moeblob... since my Feyris is not appearing any more :/
Old 2011-07-07, 19:33   Link #4
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekureiru View Post
I'm beginning to think this initial theory of mine is more likely, now thinking back more and getting other speculation and theories from people I'm friends with. Listed below in spoilers. [mod edit: spoiler tags not needed for speculation]

The part-time soldier said she was a SERN-spy and could possibly be well true, and even to the extent that her own father is in SERN. Since Kurisu wants to make up to her father and get along with him once again, she was willing to plot against her friends in order to achieve this. So she constantly leaked information about what they are doing, and indulged herself in experimenting to make sure things go well. She could have possibly even forwarded the hacking of SERN herself

She had so much fun while she was young debating against her father to the point where she was starting to win against him. After idolizing him and him being the very reason why she started to love science, she might be feeling incredibly guilty that she even got her father mad at her in the first place and making it feel more like a "competition" then your friendly father-daughter debate. So she might be at the point where she will go to extreme lengths just to bring that fondship between them back. She also constantly brings the topic back up from time to time.
Hm.

I can see where you're coming from with the theory, but I don't think it'll be true in the long run. Kurisu may want to reconnect with her father, but something the show establishes very well is that she was also extremely lonely/distant from other people up until she got dragged into Okabe's lab and became friends with the members there. It seems OOC to me for her to trade away her friendships with the others just to try and connect with her father again, especially since even when she talks about wanting to be close to her father like she was as a child, it's usually in the way of someone resigned to the fact that it won't ever change.

Though, I do think at some point, Kurisu will have to choose between keeping her friendship with Okabe/saving Mayuri and regaining her lost bond with her father, especially if he's tied to SERN. He might promise to be close to her again if she sells out her friends, which leads to a moral dilemma.
Old 2011-07-09, 10:20   Link #5
Alucard24

Greertings everyone !

There is one thing I don't understand : in the first episode, Kurisu is killed but when Okabe sent a mail, the line changed and she was saved. In exchange, that time machine landed in the building and John Titor never went in the year 2000.

My question is : Why is the death of Kurisu change the date of visit of Titor ? In the first place, Okabe sent the mail to Daru who doesn't know Kurisu in person so I could not tell her "you are dead" so how did he change that fact ? And what the connection to Titor ?
Old 2011-07-09, 13:36   Link #6
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard24 View Post
Greertings everyone !

There is one thing I don't understand : in the first episode, Kurisu is killed but when Okabe sent a mail, the line changed and she was saved. In exchange, that time machine landed in the building and John Titor never went in the year 2000.

My question is : Why is the death of Kurisu change the date of visit of Titor ? In the first place, Okabe sent the mail to Daru who doesn't know Kurisu in person so I could not tell her "you are dead" so how did he change that fact ? And what the connection to Titor ?
Saving Kurisu, it's speculated, back in episode one is what caused Okabe to cross the 1% barrier and to switch the timeline he was originally in over to the Alpha timeline they've been in ever since.
Old 2011-07-10, 04:19   Link #7
Alucard24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
Saving Kurisu, it's speculated, back in episode one is what caused Okabe to cross the 1% barrier and to switch the timeline he was originally in over to the Alpha timeline they've been in ever since.
That I understood but why ? To cross the 1% barrier the event changed must be of great importance ... why is Kurisu important ?

And how an e-mail sent to a nobody (daru) could save her in the first place since they didn't know each other before that ?
Old 2011-07-10, 09:13   Link #8
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Quote:
That I understood but why ? To cross the 1% barrier the event changed must be of great importance ... why is Kurisu important ?

And how an e-mail sent to a nobody (daru) could save her in the first place since they didn't know each other before that ?
Perhaps just as Mayuri is destined to die in the Alpha timeline and trigger SERN's dystopia in the future, in the original timeline Kurisu was destined to die and trigger something first?
Old 2011-07-11, 03:55   Link #9
Alucard24

The reason must be connected to Titor since in the original timeline he went in 2000 and in the alpha timeline he went in 2010. The question is : what is it ?
Old 2011-07-11, 06:15   Link #10
Kirroha
Just... disturbed.

Maybe Okabe is the reason behind Mayuri's death?
Old 2011-07-11, 11:33   Link #11
Alucard24

Okabe tried to not approach Mayuri but did he check afterward if she was still alive ?

And what is Titor searching in 2010 ? It must be something findable in 2000 too....
Old 2011-07-11, 15:49   Link #12
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirroha View Post
Maybe Okabe is the reason behind Mayuri's death?
A possibility. Considering that, from what we know, Mayuri's life wasn't threatened in any way until Okabe and the others hacked into SERN and picked up their D-mail experiments, it's possible that in doing that, he destined her to die. Question is now, how does he fix it?
Old 2011-07-12, 04:40   Link #13
Alucard24

By not doing a time machine ? But we know that's impossible : it's fixed event, just like Mayuri's death.
Old 2011-07-12, 09:09   Link #14
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Quote:
By not doing a time machine ? But we know that's impossible : it's fixed event, just like Mayuri's death.
Mayuri's death is a fixed event in the Alpha timeline; we currently don't know if it was a fixed event in the original timeline, where Okarin found Kurisu dead. It's possible that if he reverted things back to the original timeline, he could save Mayuri.
Old 2011-07-12, 09:21   Link #15
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

That could be a possibility RadiantBeam But how would he revert things back to the original timeline? Only thing I can come up with is involving the D-mails again which could make things even worse..
Old 2011-07-12, 13:59   Link #16
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Well, apparently the timeline shifted more and more with each D-mail the group sent, up until the point we see now where Mayuri is now doomed to die. Perhaps finding some way to undo the effects the D-mails had on the timeline is the key?
Old 2011-07-12, 15:41   Link #17
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Okabe tried to not approach Mayuri but did he check afterward if she was still alive ?

And what is Titor searching in 2010 ? It must be something findable in 2000 too....
From episode 15, we find out her real mission is to go back to 1975. The 2010 stop was simply to look for her father.

Now, this is actually kind of interesting. Because we know Suzahu, prior to that first D-Mail Okarin sent, went back to 2000, not 2010. It's also heavily implied in this particular time, that she's searching in 2010 because that's what year is on the badge she carries. Did the Suzahu prior to Okarin's first D-Mail carry a badge from 2000 instead? Or is this all moot, and simply a random bit of info to illustrate that sending D-Mails can have unintended butterfly effects and has no real bearing on the story itself? Beats me.
Old 2011-07-13, 04:36   Link #18
Kirroha
Just... disturbed.

Actually I was wondering... in the first timeline in Episode 13, when Okabe ran to the time machine to use it, Kurisu was shot by Moeka. If it's true that all deaths are final unless you shift to a different time trunk altogether, how come Kurisu, unlike Mayuri, doesn't die every time?
Old 2011-07-13, 06:32   Link #19
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

^The simplest explanation is that the gunshot wound she received may not have been fatal.
Old 2011-07-13, 08:08   Link #20
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirroha View Post
Actually I was wondering... in the first timeline in Episode 13, when Okabe ran to the time machine to use it, Kurisu was shot by Moeka. If it's true that all deaths are final unless you shift to a different time trunk altogether, how come Kurisu, unlike Mayuri, doesn't die every time?
Not really... definitely not the case, since Kurisu and Suzuha have died in some but survived in other timelines of the same trunk.

Mayushii's death is the end result of a web of events starting way earlier, probably even related to Okarin's childhood, since he hinted that he had a similar sensation to time-shifting, when he was a child.

Kurisu's death, is not as important (in the general scheme of things) after completing the time-traveling machine prototype.
Closed Thread