Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2012-04-03, 01:11   Link #101
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
maangchi
More Korean food by a fabulous lady who makes some delicious recipes (though I admit that my Western palate is sometimes afraid to try some of her recipes). Try them out if you've got access to a Korean grocer.
I LOVE Maangchi. I also watch aeris, but Maangchi's dishes are usually tastier to me.

While I'm at it, thought I'd share two of my favorite chefs (both American):

foodwishes - Chef John is awesome. His humor is kinda goofy and his voice just really enhances his videos. He also makes things very easy to comprehend for the beginner/occasional cook. I also love how his trademark is using at least a small amount of cayenne pepper in almost everything he makes (just like how Maangchi's trademark is sesame oil) -- I do the same thing. His blog with exact ingredients and measurements is here.

The Pioneer Woman - Chef Ree Drummond has a show on the Food Network channel of the same name. Her food photography is probably my most favorite out of any other food blog I've looked at, personally. She makes a lot of comfort foods and stick-to-your-ribs type of things as she is a cowgirl, but she does have some healthy recipes as well as desserts. I love how her personality comes out in her blog writing, and her recipes are easy to follow. (I love her barbeque chicken recipe -- it's SO easy to do and it comes out perfect every time. <3)
Old 2012-04-10, 10:33   Link #102
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

This is "karipap", a type of Malaysian snack. I recently made this. Wasn't easy, but well worth the effort. If anyone is brave enough to attempt it, you can pm me for the recipe. Pastry with spicy potato and curry chicken for the filling

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-10, 19:23   Link #103
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Holy crap that sounds delicious. Reminds me of an Indian samosa.
Old 2012-04-11, 04:07   Link #104
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUAHAHAHAHAHA View Post

This is "karipap", a type of Malaysian snack. I recently made this. Wasn't easy, but well worth the effort. If anyone is brave enough to attempt it, you can pm me for the recipe. Pastry with spicy potato and curry chicken for the filling
The correct term is actually "Curry Puff". Anyway, it's a very popular dish at Malaysia, Brunei and Singapore. Here's one such Curry Puff recipe.

Old 2012-04-11, 04:09   Link #105
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:

You should do the fish paste/chunk version. Though the smell is enough to stink out the whole kitchen, it is definitely worth it!

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-11, 04:36   Link #106
MUAHAHAHAHAHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
The correct term is actually "Curry Puff". Anyway, it's a very popular dish at Malaysia, Brunei and Singapore. Here's one such Curry Puff recipe.

"Karipap" is the Malaysian word for curry puff. In my country, the term "curry puff" is seldom used.

@SaintessHeart

I love the fish version! I haven't attempted it, though I eat it often. Now that you mention it, I might give it a try.

Last edited by MUAHAHAHAHAHA; 2012-04-11 at 04:51.
Old 2012-04-12, 10:07   Link #107
MUAHAHAHAHAHA

My friends and I made Korean bulgogi (barbequed beef). We marinated the meat for about 2 hours.

We were still hungry after that meal, so we decided to make onigiri. The rice was really hot, and it was difficult to withstand the heat, but it was worth it.

The result:

Old 2012-04-14, 02:01   Link #108
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

I don't think i can eat something like this.

Old 2012-04-14, 02:20   Link #109
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Nothing on Epic Meal Time is edible.
Old 2012-04-14, 09:08   Link #110
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

6 pounds of bacon? I mean, I like bacon, but damn!

Also, I'm not sure which was more gross. That so-called "egg roll" or watching those guys eat it.

Endless "Too much" Soul
Old 2012-04-14, 22:49   Link #111
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

MUAHA, maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to share that recipe for the puff dumplings in this thread (if you'd like to).

Puff dumplings sounds rather amusing.

Also, Epic Meal Time. Those videos are gross, especially when they start eating on camera. Also, if they eat like that all the time, they are all bound to die before retirement age.

Edit: The Epic Meal Time wasn't as bad as some I've seen. The food is bad for you, but it wasn't too gross when they were eating the food.

Last edited by Urzu 7; 2012-04-14 at 23:08.
Urzu 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-15, 19:15   Link #112
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Are you from Asia, Muaha? You make a lot of Asian foods (and they all look good!).
Old 2012-04-15, 19:24   Link #113
MUAHAHAHAHAHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
Are you from Asia, Muaha? You make a lot of Asian foods (and they all look good!).
Yup, I'm a Malaysian Chinese

Old 2012-04-15, 22:44   Link #114
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Give me the recipe for the curry puff! Of course, I will probably not follow it exactly. I'm thinking of a Thai curry version with coconut milk, lemongrass and green curry paste.
Old 2012-04-16, 07:12   Link #115
MUAHAHAHAHAHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Give me the recipe for the curry puff! Of course, I will probably not follow it exactly. I'm thinking of a Thai curry version with coconut milk, lemongrass and green curry paste.
I think it's really up to you, what you want to put in the filling. Let your creativity take flight!

I will pm you the recipe

Old 2012-04-17, 04:34   Link #116
warita
Dai-Youkai

Quote:
I think it's really up to you, what you want to put in the filling. Let your creativity take flight!

I will pm you the recipe

Mhuahahaha, please dont PM peope recipes. Post it here. I opened this thread for that purpose!!!

I am also eagerly waiting for the recipe!
warita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-17, 08:29   Link #117
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Here's a special fried rice recipe by the guys at Sorted Food.

Old 2012-04-17, 09:51   Link #118
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by warita View Post
Mhuahahaha, please dont PM peope recipes. Post it here. I opened this thread for that purpose!!!

I am also eagerly waiting for the recipe!
Agreed. Also, if you can, document your creations.

Endless "Instructional" Soul
Old 2012-04-17, 16:04   Link #119
MUAHAHAHAHAHA

This is a famous Malaysian cuisine, called “nasi lemak”. Malaysians love to eat this for breakfast. Actually, you can also eat it for lunch and dinner. This dish consist of sambal (spicy paste made from ginger, dried chilli, garlic and shallots), coconut rice, fried anchovies, peanuts, boiled egg and cucumber. Anyway, I have posted here step-by-step guidance with photos, so I hope you will be able to make it too! This recipe can serve up to 6 people.

Ingredients:
20 dried chilli
2 shallots
4 garlic cloves
1 can of coconut milk (about 400ml)
Dried anchovies (up to individual preference. For mine, I put 20-30)
A thick slice of ginger (about 3cm)
Salt
Water
Sugar
Cucumber (a few slices will do. Again, up to individual preference because it is only a side dish)
Chicken leg
Tamarind juice
Tumeric powder (just enough to marinade the chicken)

1.Soak the dried chilli in a pot of boiling water, until it becomes soft. This takes approximately 30 minutes.

2.Marinate the chicken in turmeric powder.

3. It’s now time to make the sambal aka chilli paste. Blend the dried chilli with some water. The result will be something like this:

4. Cut 1 onion, all the garlic cloves, and ¾ of the ginger into slices. Then blend it together with the blended dried chilli. Make sure that everything is blended to form a concentrated paste.

5.Heat pan and add oil. When it is hot enough, add the chilli paste. Before adding in the paste, reduce the heat first. It is imperative that you allow it to cook for 45m-1 hour. I know, I know, it takes forever but the result, I assure you are worth it. Stir the paste once in a while.

6.After cooking the paste for approximately 20 minutes or so, stir in tamarind juice, some sugar, and salt. The paste is cooked and ready when it begins to dry up.

7.Now, it’s time to cook the rice. For mine, I cook 3 cups of rice.

8.Pour in the whole can of coconut milk. If it is too concentrated, add some water. The can of coconut milk that I bought is 400ml, and fills 3 cups. Just nice! After pouring in the milk, add in the other 1 onion, a pinch of salt and the remaining ¼ ginger slices. After you are done, cook the rice!

9. While waiting for the rice and sambal, boil the eggs.

10.You can start frying the anchovies and the chicken. I removed the head because it tastes better without it.

11.Deep fry the chicken. After you are done, do the same with the anchovies.

12. Time to check the rice. The cooked coconut rice will look like the above pic.

13. Assuming everything is ready, assemble them!

14. Itadakimasu!!!

Last edited by MUAHAHAHAHAHA; 2012-04-17 at 16:20.
Old 2012-04-17, 16:09   Link #120
warita
Dai-Youkai

Quote:
This is a famous Malaysian cuisine, called “nasi lemak”. Malaysians love to eat this for breakfast. Actually, you can also eat it for lunch and dinner. This dish consist of sambal (spicy paste made from ginger, dried chilli, garlic and shallots), coconut rice, fried anchovies, peanuts, boiled egg and cucumber. Anyway, I have posted here step-by-step guidance with photos, so I hope you will be able to make it too! This recipe can serve up to 6 people.

Ingredients:
20 dried chilli
2 shallots
4 garlic cloves
1 can of coconut milk (about 400ml)
Dried anchovies (up to individual preference. For mine, I put 20-30)
A thick slice of ginger (about 3cm)
Salt
Water
Sugar
Cucumber (a few slices will do. Again, up to individual preference because it is only a side dish)
Chicken leg
Tamarind juice
Tumeric powder (just enough to marinade the chicken)

1.Soak the dried chilli in a pot of boiling water, until it becomes soft. This takes approximately 30 minutes.

2.Marinate the chicken in turmeric powder.

3. It’s now time to make the sambal aka chilli paste. Blend the dried chilli with some water. The result will be something like this:

4. Cut 1 onion, all the garlic cloves, and ¾ of the ginger into slices. Then blend it together with the blended dried chilli. Make sure that everything is blended to form a concentrated paste.

5.Heat pan and add oil. When it is hot enough, add the chilli paste. Before adding in the paste, reduce the heat first. It is imperative that you allow it to cook for 45m-1 hour. I know, I know, it takes forever but the result, I assure you are worth it. Stir the paste once in a while.

6.After cooking the paste for approximately 20 minutes or so, stir in tamarind juice, some sugar, and salt. The paste is cooked and ready when it begins to dry up.

7.Now, it’s time to cook the rice. For mine, I cook 3 cups of rice.

8.Pour in the whole can of coconut milk. If it is too concentrated, add some water. The can of coconut milk that I bought is 400ml, and fills 3 cups. Just nice! After pouring in the milk, add in the other 1 onion, a pinch of salt and the remaining ¼ ginger slices. After you are done, cook the rice!

9. While waiting for the rice and sambal, boil the eggs.

10.You can start frying the anchovies and the chicken. I removed the head because it tastes better without it.

11.Deep fry the chicken. After you are done, do the same with the anchovies.

12. Time to check the rice. The cooked coconut rice will look like the above pic.

13. Assuming everything is ready, assemble them!

14. Itadakimasu!!!
I will try this recipe and report my findings. Looks gorgeous!! PS: what a well made step by step, good job!!!

PS: I am still looking for apple cider. Cant find any in austria.
warita is offline   Reply With Quote