AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2013-02-14, 03:13   Link #1
Pacify

Give me thy Suggestions!

I find myself absolutely lacking the ability to decide on something to watch.

So, feel free to suggest me one or two or more series you loved; it can be anything, new or old, messed up sienen or 90's magical shojou anime, shounen or random nonsense.

My List http://myanimelist.net/animelist/pacify
Pacify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-14, 06:23   Link #2
Laniaka

since i can name anything i'll just name my top 2:

Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Shoujo Kakumei Utena
Laniaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-14, 08:44   Link #3
kitten320

You've seen quiet a few of my top shows so I'll list few others that got my attention:

1) Ghost Hunt - I love detective kind of setting and ghosts so this is ideal for me. Series are good at building up the mood.

2) Ga-Rei Zero - series that I consider to be a bit unique. It is a more gory kind of action with a mix of comedy and drama. First episode left massive impression on me. Actually whole series left me emotional for a while.

3) Shiki - done by same creator as Ghost Hunt. People suddenly start to die in a village and epidemic is suspected, but is it really the case?

4) Baccano! - a unique kind of story telling. It gradually connects all the dots and makes a simple train robbery look like something awesome. Great action and characters.

5) Fullmetal Alchemist - it has 2 seasons. 1st season has anime original story while Brotherhood follows the manga. There are massive differences between the 2 and some different characters as well.
As I can see from your list, you have watched original anime. I would recommend to give Brotherhood a try then. I liked both but some prefer Brotherhood to original or original to Brotherhood.

6) Aria series - this are very calming, slice of life series. Don't watch if you are in hyper mood or you'll be bored. They are meant to relax. Despite being episodic I still recommend to watch all seasons and episodes since they gradually reveal tiny bits of information about characters and their relation what leads to a satisfying final in last season. First season is called Aria the Animation.

7) Berserk - it is said that Claymore is based on it though can't say I saw that many similarities. Berserk has a good and memorable cast of characters whose relationship is build up through the series. It has action and good strategies. Do recommend.
There are 3 new remake movies, I've seen only one and am disappointed. It lacks in development so I recommend to watch old TV series.

8) Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai - nice comedy/romance/harem show. I would say it is very unique since despite having a harem you can't call it a harem show. MC is very memorable and likable too. Keima is a big dating VN gamer and accidentally signed a contract with cute devil. He has to date girls for real now to get evil spirits out of them or he will lose his head.
Funny and enjoyable.

9) Mayo Chiki! - I usually dislike fanservice/harem shows but this one made me laugh quiet a lot. I found it entertaining.

10) Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin - series follow group of friends who met in prison. Series show us their lives and hardships while they are in prison and outside. Dramatic as well as inspiring series. Left a strong impression on me.

Bonus:
Sword of the Stranger - good movie with great sword action.
Old 2013-02-15, 07:44   Link #4
Pacify

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laniaka View Post
since i can name anything i'll just name my top 2:

Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Shoujo Kakumei Utena
Interesting, I shall add both of those to the list, the first one looks like a real classic, surprised I haven't heard of it before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
You've seen quiet a few of my top shows so I'll list few others that got my attention:

1) Ghost Hunt - I love detective kind of setting and ghosts so this is ideal for me. Series are good at building up the mood.

2) Ga-Rei Zero - series that I consider to be a bit unique. It is a more gory kind of action with a mix of comedy and drama. First episode left massive impression on me. Actually whole series left me emotional for a while.

3) Shiki - done by same creator as Ghost Hunt. People suddenly start to die in a village and epidemic is suspected, but is it really the case?

4) Baccano! - a unique kind of story telling. It gradually connects all the dots and makes a simple train robbery look like something awesome. Great action and characters.

5) Fullmetal Alchemist - it has 2 seasons. 1st season has anime original story while Brotherhood follows the manga. There are massive differences between the 2 and some different characters as well.
As I can see from your list, you have watched original anime. I would recommend to give Brotherhood a try then. I liked both but some prefer Brotherhood to original or original to Brotherhood.

6) Aria series - this are very calming, slice of life series. Don't watch if you are in hyper mood or you'll be bored. They are meant to relax. Despite being episodic I still recommend to watch all seasons and episodes since they gradually reveal tiny bits of information about characters and their relation what leads to a satisfying final in last season. First season is called Aria the Animation.

7) Berserk - it is said that Claymore is based on it though can't say I saw that many similarities. Berserk has a good and memorable cast of characters whose relationship is build up through the series. It has action and good strategies. Do recommend.
There are 3 new remake movies, I've seen only one and am disappointed. It lacks in development so I recommend to watch old TV series.

8) Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai - nice comedy/romance/harem show. I would say it is very unique since despite having a harem you can't call it a harem show. MC is very memorable and likable too. Keima is a big dating VN gamer and accidentally signed a contract with cute devil. He has to date girls for real now to get evil spirits out of them or he will lose his head.
Funny and enjoyable.

9) Mayo Chiki! - I usually dislike fanservice/harem shows but this one made me laugh quiet a lot. I found it entertaining.

10) Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin - series follow group of friends who met in prison. Series show us their lives and hardships while they are in prison and outside. Dramatic as well as inspiring series. Left a strong impression on me.

Bonus:
Sword of the Stranger - good movie with great sword action.
1. Sounds familiar, think I meant to try watching it before, definitely looks interesting.
2. Pretty sure I have read the start of the manga, ill look into it ho
3. Same as 1.
4. Half way through this atmo, just gotta finish
5. Watched the original, read the manga.
6. Haha, I think i've tried Aria, both the manga and the anime, but i dont think i got very far.
7. Best manga in existence, the anime doesnt compare
8. read some of the manga, didnt really like it
9. lol >_<
10. Ooh, sounds interesting, never heard of that one. Shall add to list
oh and I have sword of the stranger sitting on my hdd, I remember someone linking me a fight from it and i was like /wow. best sword fight ever?

Thx for the suggestions guise, tis muy appreciated
Old 2013-02-15, 08:09   Link #5
kitten320

1. Do it, really good especially if you like mysteries and ghost stories.
2. Anime is a prequel to a manga and to be honest I prefer anime more. Couldn't get into manga.
6. I can see why, series are not everyone
10. Do it. It slightly gives Phantom vibes.

Even though you said any genre will do you clearly are more into dark and dramatic/mysterious type of series

If so I'll try to list more of those types later
Old 2013-02-15, 09:01   Link #6
Pacify

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
1. Do it, really good especially if you like mysteries and ghost stories.
2. Anime is a prequel to a manga and to be honest I prefer anime more. Couldn't get into manga.
6. I can see why, series are not everyone
10. Do it. It slightly gives Phantom vibes.

Even though you said any genre will do you clearly are more into dark and dramatic/mysterious type of series

If so I'll try to list more of those types later
Well I guess, but I've still watched and enjoyed plenty of light hearted stuff, I don't have any prejudice against any genre :P

I'll give Ga-Rei a try then, I did like the concept in the original manga, but it didn't really draw one in to keep reading.
Been meaning to try Aria again, it really does have good ratings, especialy the manga

Last edited by Pacify; 2013-02-15 at 22:56.
Old 2013-02-16, 12:00   Link #7
StormStrife

Strait Jacket - An interestning anime, where using magic is costly, and using it without proper armor/excessivly causes you to become a monster. The Story revolves around the "tactical sorcerists" who are there to kill the monsters.
StormStrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-23, 18:12   Link #8
deadlights911

By the way, I can pick out flaws from each of the anime I'm going to list, but I'm not going to do that; instead I'll just talk about why I enjoyed them. Sound good?

In no specific order:

1. Ef - A Tale of Memories: This is one of my all time favorite anime. The visuals and the aesthetics are amazing, really well-done character development especially the relationship between Chihiro and Renji. If you're into romance/drama then this is perfect for you. It made laugh, cry and cheer for joy. I won't say anything about the plot or it'll ruin it for you

2. Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun (My Little Monster): This is a romantic/comedy that's still a really fun show to watch, even if you're not into romance. The show is basically about a violent, socially-awkward "psychopath" who falls in love with a girl who wants to devote her time to studying and staying top of class.

3. BTOOOM!!!: I normally don't enjoy dark anime, but for some reason, I really enjoyed this anime. Like a lot. Every character in the series is interesting especially the antagonists. Just to give you an example, one of the villains is a 14-year old psychopath convicted for murdering 3 women. The main character, Samako, is not a likeable character until near the end of the first season, and so that was something I also enjoyed. Anyway, BTOOOM is basically the Hunger Games and Battle Royale but with bombs, the first episode looks very generic, but trust me, it gets better.

4. Darker Than Black: One of my favorites just because it's so unique and compelling. It has a generic concept, people who obtain abnormal powers, but other than that and few cliqued themes, it's a pretty original anime that I would recommend watching. Hei is a very like-able, bad-ass character who I would compare to Liam Neeson. His power is electricity. Some other powers include: acidic blood, producing fog, spontaneous combustion, manipulating insects, and a bunch more

There's also a lot more that I would recommend like Detective Conan and Gosick (they're both mysteries)
deadlights911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-27, 09:31   Link #9
Pacify

1. watched
2. watched
3. read manga!
4. watched

All really good suggestions tho :P

Detective Conan doesn't appeal to me, but I'll put Gosick down on the list to try. Cheers!
Old 2013-02-27, 11:48   Link #10
Tecprincess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacify View Post
I find myself absolutely lacking the ability to decide on something to watch.

So, feel free to suggest me one or two or more series you loved; it can be anything, new or old, messed up sienen or 90's magical shojou anime, shounen or random nonsense.

My List http://myanimelist.net/animelist/pacify
Minami-ke - there are four seasons, 4th one is hiring now. Its a comedy slice of life that revolves around 3 sisters.

XXXholic - is a good one

Chihayafuru - has a second season.

nisemonogatari - is second season of Bakemonogatari

Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai - has a second season

La storia della Arcana Famiglia - is a good one.

Sword art online - it is like dot hack sign
Old 2013-02-28, 20:54   Link #11
deadlights911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecprincess View Post
Minami-ke - there are four seasons, 4th one is hiring now. Its a comedy slice of life that revolves around 3 sisters.

XXXholic - is a good one

Chihayafuru - has a second season.

nisemonogatari - is second season of Bakemonogatari

Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai - has a second season

La storia della Arcana Famiglia - is a good one.

Sword art online - it is like dot hack sign
Do NOT watch La Storia Della Arcana Famiglia, most everyone who has seen this anime has HATED it. In fact, I think you're the first person I've met to have actually enjoyed the anime.

While the first episode is actually intersting, everything else is just crappy fillers. You can basically go right to the last two episodes of the series without missing anything at all.

Seriously, SO disappointing for an anime with so much potential. Also if you're going to have filler episodes at least have them make sense. The show is about vigilantes! You'd think they'd be fighting off crime and crap but NO! They're taking care of cats and children and bonding with other people and what not...

Ugh, just no...
Old 2013-02-28, 20:55   Link #12
deadlights911

Welcome to the NHK - This is also one of my absolute favorite anime!
Old 2013-02-28, 21:51   Link #13
Tecprincess

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadlights911 View Post
Do NOT watch La Storia Della Arcana Famiglia, most everyone who has seen this anime has HATED it. In fact, I think you're the first person I've met to have actually enjoyed the anime.

While the first episode is actually intersting, everything else is just crappy fillers. You can basically go right to the last two episodes of the series without missing anything at all.

Seriously, SO disappointing for an anime with so much potential. Also if you're going to have filler episodes at least have them make sense. The show is about vigilantes! You'd think they'd be fighting off crime and crap but NO! They're taking care of cats and children and bonding with other people and what not...

Ugh, just no...
My friend enjoyed it too. True that it left you a little hanging at the end, But it also depends what you like in an anime and expect that makes you like or hate an anime. Don't have to go in a frenzy and spit on it. Some one like me who enjoys slice of life/slice of school anime like Honey and clover and Nichijou will enjoy it. If your expecting non stop action like lupin the III then yes you will be dispointed. Your welcome to your opinion, but think you went over board. All you could say is you didn't like it and wasn't for you. Let the person of this thread decide if he choose to watch it.
Old 2013-02-28, 22:13   Link #14
deadlights911

I'm just stating my mind and using legitimate points to explain myself, it's not like I'm just going off on an angry bashing on the anime as much as I can without any real points.
Old 2013-03-01, 10:01   Link #15
MrAyzarC_91

You may Try those:

- Mirai Nikki
- Deadman Wonderland
- Ao no Exorcist
- Guilty Crown

Last edited by MrAyzarC_91; 2013-03-01 at 10:33.
MrAyzarC_91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-03, 10:14   Link #16
Pacify

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAyzarC_91 View Post
You may Try those:

- Mirai Nikki
- Deadman Wonderland
- Ao no Exorcist
- Guilty Crown
Read the top 3's manga (or well some of it, didnt get into Deadman, and I kinda dropped Mirai Nikki or some reason, of which I dont remember :P), and I've watched GC.

Watched Welcome to the NHK, was indeed very awesome.

Watched SAO and Nise, going to wait for Chiya to finish, and I've been slowly watching Boku wa next. Never tried Minami-ke, not sure if I really feel like watching another Slice of life involving all girls haha
Not sure why I have never tried xxxHOLiC, I guess I mite add it to the list.

The reviews for Arcana Famiglia arn't too flattering, think i'll only try it if i am desperate

Been watching Ga-rei, the first 2 episodes sure were... interesting
Old 2013-03-03, 18:45   Link #17
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I'll give you four suggestions, two by director Nakamura Kenji and two from Shirow Masamune who made GitS.

The first show I watched by Nakamura was his extraordinary tale of a traveling medicine seller who also investigates hauntings. That story, "Bakeneko," was the final arc of the licensed anthology Ayakashi Samurai Horror Tales. It was such a critical and ratings success that noitaminA commissioned a sequel called Mononoke. Since then Nakamura has made three other shows. The last two offerings, Kuuchuu Buranko and [C]-Control, were interesting but nowhere near as good as the medicine seller shows. This past summer noitaminA released an entirely different type of show by Nakamura, a science-fiction tale about fishing and aliens called Tsuritama. It's not as deep as earlier shows, but it's very entertaining and provides some insight into the art of angling.

Since you gave Ghost in the Shell a high mark, perhaps you might enjoy Shirow's Ghost Hound or Real Drive
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-09, 21:18   Link #18
deadlights911

Baccano - It's pretty bloody, but it's a great mystery/action show that you'll probably enjoy