AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-09-10, 11:46   Link #761
HandofFate

In Tomoko's adult life, I imagine her getting a mandane office lady job, and stay the same, but when she reaches 28-30, she meets a guy that finally helps her open up. Like a josei manga or something..
HandofFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-10, 11:58   Link #762
Utsuro no Hako

She's clearly going to become a reclusive light novel author who writes slice-of-life stories about the high school life she wishes she'd had.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-10, 12:23   Link #763
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowSmith View Post
Tomoko is gonna need a serious growth spurt to look that good as an adult.
I'm not sure 'good' is the word I'd use. That picture would make a rather cool-looking male, but I don't think it makes for a particularly attractive girl. Tomoko should set her sights higher and aim towards growing up to look like her MILF of a mother.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-10, 12:25   Link #764
erhyka

I picture Tomoko either becoming a shut in writer or a psychologist with an unconventional approach to therapy lol.
Or to be really pessimistic: dead by suicide.
erhyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-10, 12:50   Link #765
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by kache View Post
I'm really disappointed in Tomoko. She was given the perfect opportunity to reach her goal, and she's wasting it...
You make it sound so easy, but for Tomoko, taking the first step is already quite a daunting task for her, let alone go all the way.

Take the main theme for this show: she wants to become popular, or at the very least more noticed than she is now. Yet, she hasn't got a clue how to go about it. She thinks up various ideas, but her lack of social skills is the main cause of most of her woes.

This episode shows us a guy who tries to talk to her. A good starting point for her, you'd think, and Tomoko would probably agree. The problem is that she's so socially inept that she can't think of anything to say back and his classmates calling him out for talking to a 'creep' only makes Tomoko even more insecure. Now, if the guy persisted and kept talking to her several times, he might have been able to draw her out of her shell, as she would start believing he's genuinely interested in (talking to) her.

I think it's safe to conclude that, no matter how hard she tries, she can't fix her lonely life on her own, as each attempt she makes on her own only backfires on her in some way or another. She needs someone to guide her, to hold her hand and help her up if she falls again.

Anyway, this episode has some very well-placed BGM that really helped set the mood. This might be the first time in quite a while that I'm genuinely interested in the OST when it comes out.

I shudder to think how things can become even worse for Tomoko. She's already more down on her luck than any character I've seen and she seems very close to hitting full-scale depression if something doesn't change soon.
Old 2013-09-10, 13:20   Link #766
Solafighter
Hige

Episode 10,

A.W.E.S.O.M.E. transition into the OP.
Old 2013-09-10, 13:28   Link #767
ChampDream
Alive

this episode felt with so much loneliness
Old 2013-09-10, 13:44   Link #768
Goty

Send a message via ICQ to Goty
What was that censored drawing Tomoko made for the haunted house supposed to be?
Goty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-10, 14:44   Link #769
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
This episode shows us a guy who tries to talk to her. A good starting point for her, you'd think, and Tomoko would probably agree. The problem is that she's so socially inept that she can't think of anything to say back and his classmates calling him out for talking to a 'creep' only makes Tomoko even more insecure.
I had the impression they were calling him out for being a creep who hits on whatever girl's nearby.

The scene is also a random change from the manga where Kiyoda, the guy with the glasses who almost noticed her at WcDonalds, is the one to try talking to her before getting distracted. I prefer having it be the same guy because it emphasizes that in real life a Kazehaya type guy is going to have tons of friends who'll distract him from the loser girl if the loser girl doesn't make some effort of her own.
Old 2013-09-10, 17:09   Link #770
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
She should have joined one of the existing clubs instead of trying to make her own. Even if it had been approved, I'm pretty sure she would have gotten no members. In a way, this is better for her. It spares her an even bigger disappointment.
I felt like the whole "club" thing was more of a jab at certain anime series (SOS B***ade and following...) than a joke on Tomoko's lack of social skills, this time. It was like saying straight out that all the settings of the various moe/slice of life high school harems is unrealistic wish fulfillment - and showing the harsh truth. It was the first time I felt Watamote was truly embracing it's potential "meta" nature (while still being one of the saddest moments for Tomoko).

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-10, 17:36   Link #771
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goty View Post
What was that censored drawing Tomoko made for the haunted house supposed to be?
It wasn't censored in the version I watched. I have no idea what it could be either (O*nan-san?Doesn't ring a bell), all I know is that it looked creepy as all hell...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gan_HOPE326 View Post
I felt like the whole "club" thing was more of a jab at certain anime series (SOS B***ade and following...) than a joke on Tomoko's lack of social skills, this time. It was like saying straight out that all the settings of the various moe/slice of life high school harems is unrealistic wish fulfillment - and showing the harsh truth. It was the first time I felt Watamote was truly embracing it's potential "meta" nature (while still being one of the saddest moments for Tomoko).
It was definitely making fun of anime/light novels with similar premises (they even named them), but it could have done that while making it even worse for Tomoko. Imagine her sitting all alone in a clubroom for weeks hoping somebody will join, only for her club to get disbanded one day. That would have been far more cruel. This bit also highlighted once again that Tomoko is delusional. At least she gave up on hoping a Kazehaya will show up and save her, so her case is not completely desperate.
Old 2013-09-10, 17:38   Link #772
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gan_HOPE326 View Post
Do you mean that the act of creating clubs itself is being unrealistic or do you refer to unrealistic clubs being created? If you meant the former:

Granted the only knowledge about this I have are gotten from anime, but it really doesn't seems like a stretch to believe that the act of creating clubs itself is not that unrealistic. And then there's often a mention of distinction between bukatsu and doukoukai.

Though I guess I may be biased by my own experience. I was a member of an arts club that in all actually was an otaku club in high school (sorta like Hato's high school club in Genshiken) where I actually was the sole male member (and the rest were fujoshi) and in Uni I was a member of a Society for Study of Modern Visual Arts (yes it's an official club/unit following the Uni's regulations and we did name it that ). The fact that they're there means they were actually created by some people at some point before because there's no way the school would form these by themselves.
Old 2013-09-10, 18:45   Link #773
ginger02

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
In Tomoko's adult life, I imagine her getting a mandane office lady job, and stay the same, but when she reaches 28-30, she meets a guy that finally helps her open up. Like a josei manga or something..
I need to read more josei mangas like this.
ginger02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-10, 19:18   Link #774
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
She's clearly going to become a reclusive light novel author who writes slice-of-life stories about the high school life she wishes she'd had.
Or a mangaka who details her high-school misery in grim detail.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-10, 20:03   Link #775
Goty

Send a message via ICQ to Goty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
It wasn't censored in the version I watched. I have no idea what it could be either (O*nan-san?Doesn't ring a bell), all I know is that it looked creepy as all hell...
Yeah, i meant the *beep* they use to censor the references.
Really looked creepy, that's what got me curious. Anyone?
Goty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-10, 20:38   Link #776
Kiavik

Quote:
It's called Ochonan and it's from the manga Fuan no Tane Plus. Don't read it before going to bed if you want to get any sleep at all.
Kiavik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-10, 20:40   Link #777
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Ochonan-san オチョナンさん

Reference comes from Nakayama Masaaki's horror manga Fu-an no Tane (serialized on Shonen Champion)

If you have access to Nico Nico Douga, you can watch this video

NicoNico
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by kj1980; 2013-09-10 at 20:51.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-10, 20:44   Link #778
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Goddamnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn....I thought for a minute that Tomoko was really going to start coming out of her shell

Poor Tomoko
Old 2013-09-10, 21:00   Link #779
Utsuro no Hako

QUOTE=kj1980;4827064]Ochonan-san オチョナンさん

Reference comes from Nakayama Masaaki's horror manga Fu-an no Tane (serialized on Shonen Champion)

[/QUOTE]

Isn't that the thing Hato draws when he dresses as a guy?
Old 2013-09-10, 23:10   Link #780
D-KLAC
KLAC OF THE ANIME WORLD

ep.10

new class term for tomoko but now in seat in front middle row area give going why me yet after some break wonder found her own area to do her things.

then days later give lack of food & etc got wasted then see her area got cleaned & moved well move on give take advantage of arcade doll prize yet still more lonely.

school fest coming give tomoko don't want to give horror hair doll from middle school was flop then go around see club making idea so try make own club.

yet with imagine doing having own club & not doing school stuff well reality kick in yet her club got denied.
YOU EITHER ANIME NEXUS http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=24159 OR AGAINST THE ANIME
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6WFM...eature=related
KLAC OF PERSONALITY http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqyG8w0iMPw
D-KLAC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coming of age, dark comedy, high school, satire, slice of life