AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2019-06-10, 19:22   Link #6921
AstroNerdBoy

> May Touta continue to be irrelevant.

Hahaha! Super Touta is chomping at the bit, waiting to win this when all of the other UQ Holder members are completely defeated. Then he'll fly in to save the day. ��

--> AstroNerdBoy on YouTube! - Where I mostly do gaming videos. Help me hit my subscription goals by subscribing today! 😁

--> AstroNerdBoy on Twitch! - Currently, streaming every Friday night at 9pm ET/6pm PT. Impromptu streams when FGO events are going on. Love to see you there! 😆

AstroNerdBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-11, 02:26   Link #6922
SilverGlavenus

Akamatsu clearly does not know the definition of the word "strongest".
SilverGlavenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-12, 04:23   Link #6923
NapoleonDeCheese

... you know what, I can't even bring myself to care about this chapter enough as to bother commenting on it. 'Bleh'. That's all the description it deserves. Or 'meh'. Whatever.
NapoleonDeCheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-14, 07:43   Link #6924
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shippuu View Post
Juuzou turned out to be a lot more mundane of a character than expected aside from his ability. And the less is said about how Jinbei countered it the better. Septshichijuro turns out to be an artificial light spirit made by Ba'al (I guess the light form happened a lot earlier than I thought, just not through Magia Erebea. Although that's not off the table just yet) and I'm kind of looking forward to what kind of monolithic asspull they come up with this time to beat someone who moves (and presumably thinks) at the speed of LIGHT.
That said we still have no idea why they're here and what Ba'al's plans are so I do hope next chapter concludes these fights and gets on with it.

May Touta continue to be irrelevant.
assuming if he moves at speed of light then Kirie time stop can stop him.

Honestly If they somehow show that Jinbei can control space, time, and gravity power. I am not suprised

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-25, 18:16   Link #6925
Hata
時の異邦人

Tokyo Time 08/27, 9:00AM Ken scheduled a live feed of how he will finish this month’s UQ Holder chapter before the deadline for BSM.

https://youtu.be/67DyWR40KcE

if you want to see how mangaka works digitally plus earlier spoiler for the next UQH chapter, this should be a good opportunity.

Last edited by Hata; 2019-08-25 at 18:33.
Hata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-23, 20:39   Link #6926
Hata
時の異邦人

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hata View Post
Tokyo Time 08/27, 9:00AM Ken scheduled a live feed of how he will finish this month’s UQ Holder chapter before the deadline for BSM.

if you want to see how mangaka works digitally plus earlier spoiler for the next UQH chapter, this should be a good opportunity.
after missing last month's deadline and did an extra section last month. Kern is returning with this month/chapter 165

https://youtu.be/ndiZEJ1CfjU

again it will run aprox from 10am to 9 pm Tokyo time.

Ken did answer some live chat question, but since he does not understand English mostly converse with Japanese language crowd.
Old 2019-12-09, 01:00   Link #6927
Akira Theia

So, the year is almost over and UQ Holder’s run should be entering the finish line now. I know almost no one is talking about this manga anymore, but I still wanted to post some thoughts here.

I got into UQ Holder without knowing much about Negima and I read it afterwards. However, even then I could tell UQ Holder was never something that could be called a proper sequel or spin off. While I can’t share the feelings others had about the way Negima ended, I’m very perplexed of why Akamatsu seemed so obstinate about not showing the climax of that story until he pretty much had no other option. Even if he supposedly had disagreements with the editorial, I know mangaka have options. For example, he could write the final arc and leave it to another artist to do the manga. Mashima-sensei did that to allow a sequel to Fairy Tail while he went on to do Edens Zero (which is a much stronger work in my opinion). So, why did Akamatsu got himself into such needless trouble that UQ Holder ended up becoming Negima 2?

From my point of view, Negima had already ended with Negi befriending Fate and coming up with the space elevator. The thing about Negi’s father being possessed by the Lifemaker seemed like a plot thread Akamatsu had in mind and wanted to set up, but he just sort of decided to back out on it. So, from the moment he brought her back in UQ, I knew I wasn’t going to like it because Lifemaker has barely ever felt like a credible villain to me.

After following UQ Holder these past years, I have come to the conclusion that leaving out the Negima stuff, this sort of series can only work to some level if it focused on being over-the-top coolness and stuck to it. The girl who caused a zombie apocalypse, the videogame-based immortalities, the guy with a concept-cutting sword, the light butler and everything about the High Daylight Walkers… Those are all ideas that allow very cool scenes and crazy jokes, but they can only have full effect if everything about the series they’re in was meant to be insane awesomeness. This manga tries to present itself as a standard shonen with harem elements forcibly mixed in, so it often wants to try to bring drama and tension that only comes off as artificial when a save point is always available.

Themes such as Kuroumaru’s gender, Karin being a girl Judas cursed by human prayers and Kirie dealing with death on almost daily basis are the sort that are expected to be treated with much more seriousness and depth that a writer like Akamatsu as ever been able to do. He ends up treating those characters as standard harem members or plot devices in Kirie’s case and I feel sorry because their writer wasn’t one adept to developing their issues.

I’m also not a fan of how Evangeline/Yukihime’s character and past were handled here. Some may say it made her more complex by showing she’s an example of “die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain” with that mini-arc of Karin’s flashback, but I don’t know, it had quite the bit of the opposite effect with me. I can get Yukihime is meant to act different from Eva in Negima because this isn’t the Asuna Ex Machina timeline, but couldn’t Akamatsu write her in a way that’s more interesting than Yukihime usually acts?

By this point, I’m only indifferent to the immortal cast. The only character I ever wanted to see a development in was Kuroumaru anyway and I gave up on that when I realized the direction Akamatsu was taking with that character wasn’t a serious or well-meaning one.

I expect the final arc to not be anything much different from before this point. Tons of fanservice, gore, Negima references, abilities that fix everything out of nowhere… As for romantic resolution, I won’t be surprised if Touta gets the ability to multiply himself just so he can give a happy ending to everyone in his harem.

That sums up my thoughts about this manga. If Akamatsu ever intended this series to work as its own thing, he definitely needed a clearer vision for the plot, characters and tone than he had when he started this. From the beginning, UQ Holder gave me a strange and disturbed feeling unlike any other manga I ever read. I think I know what it is now. I sensed it was afraid to really try anything different or interesting despite having so many fascinating ideas because that would be getting out of the mangaka’s comfort zone. So, I can only say, why did Akamatsu created all those troubles, including not picking up Negima, if he feared doing anything besides what he was used to?

My last thoughts are the following:
- Even though UQ Holder is a prime example of good ideas being mishandled, I hope this mishappen in manga history can at least inspire others to develop similar ideas better.
- If Akamatsu wanted to do a shonen with crazy action that filled the holes in Negima and explored Evangeline’s character more, he could have done an Ala Rubra prequel and everyone would have been happier and more satisfied.
Akira Theia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-11, 02:17   Link #6928
AstroNerdBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira Theia View Post
So, the year is almost over and UQ Holder’s run should be entering the finish line now. I know almost no one is talking about this manga anymore, but I still wanted to post some thoughts here.
Sadly, it generates so little buzz any more, even the Japanese & Chinese don't bother sharing spoilers any more. The Chinese do get out a scanlation fairly quickly though.

Quote:
I’m very perplexed of why Akamatsu seemed so obstinate about not showing the climax of that story until he pretty much had no other option.
Supposedly, Akamatsu-sensei was gaining total copyright control over all of his works. And once that happened, he ended Negima. In my mind, he planned ending Negima in advance, but since he didn't have time to do a proper final arc, we get a harem hijinks arc instead. That way he could mark time and then leave Kodansha with all of his previous manga works under his control and not Kodansha's.

Obviously Sensei came back to Kondansha, but under his terms, not theirs.

Quote:
So, why did Akamatsu got himself into such needless trouble that UQ Holder ended up becoming Negima 2?
My theory is that Sensei wanted UQ Holder to be like Fairy Tale. Mashima-sensei never worried much about continuity. He only planned out whatever current story-arc he was currently working on and just winged it from there. I believe that's what Akamatsu-sensei wanted to do with UQ Holder. He'd use the attachment to the Negima! story to create a thin, overall plot thread. However, the stories would just be missions for the most part.

However, I don't believe most fans wanted this. We still wanted to know exactly how Negima! came to an end. Further, in those early volumes, Touta was just the worst Mary Sue shounen MC. His goal in life was idiotic. He didn't want to train. Yet all he had to do to become proficient at something was watch someone do it once. And then he'd master it almost immediate 'cause "Mary Sue".

Negi wasn't a Mary Sue simply because he was driven from the start. He studied his butt off. He practiced like mad. And he was massively intelligent. So it made sense for him to figure out things and learn them quickly. And then he'd train hard to master them. Touta never did any of that, but was still Super Touta.

The other issue with UQ Holder is nothing means anything. You pointed this out by mentioning Kirie's save point ability. The Santa arc was amazing, but at the end of the day, it meant nothing. Pressing the big reset button allowed Akamatsu-sensei to go dark in a shounen manga, but then say, "See? No one was harmed in this story!"

Quote:
I’m also not a fan of how Evangeline/Yukihime’s character and past were handled here.
I don't disagree with your original points. Sensei weakened Eva as a character by moving her from THE one and only High Daylight Walker to some faux shinso vampire. I've never liked that story element. In Negima, Eva was awesomeness. In UQ Holder, she's just OK and has her moments.

Further to that, while I appreciate Eva getting a backstory (something I cried for in Negima!), I didn't like that this was a means by which Sensei created this Touta x Eva inseki (not actual incest, but rather a guardian x ward sexual/romantic relationship) vibe.

But yeah, UQ Holder has been a massive disappointment. I'm here until the very end. However, I think of how much better this series could have been.

--> AstroNerdBoy on YouTube! - Where I mostly do gaming videos. Help me hit my subscription goals by subscribing today! 😁

--> AstroNerdBoy on Twitch! - Currently, streaming every Friday night at 9pm ET/6pm PT. Impromptu streams when FGO events are going on. Love to see you there! 😆

Old 2019-12-11, 12:48   Link #6929
zibi88

Well I dont like how Akamatsu tries to force the Touta x Eva thing... come on she loved Nagi but later with time she fell in love with Negi, why cant Akamatsu just leave it at that. It would make Evas character better since she would at least try to save Negi....and not well if he dies then at least there is Touta.

Touta is not special in any way, he got powers for free. First he magicaly got Evas blood...then got instant Magia Erebea something that Negi came up with, risked losing his own soul to complete it... Touta can use it like that on a whim... then we add the free white of mars thing.

I have no problems when a character keeps on training like mad, thinking out of the box till he gets it done, no free rides. Negi did not have an "immortal" card when he trained, if he f...d up he would die or get seriously injured, Touta just does the forced way with no fear of his life.

In the last battle I reallly hope that Negi/Ialda will cut off the gate to Venus completly leaving Touta with no free infinite magic source while also crippling his vampire immortality kinda to force him to be carefull not to f...k up or death. Use experience and not "tricks" (blood on battlefield teleport).

Well c167 at least tries to get back on the story and not some fanservice bs. but then again at the end again that BS thing returns I mentioned at the very begginig....thing I dont like. She has a moment in peace, reflecting on her emotions and here again Touta has to enter and f...k it up with his pressence.
zibi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-11, 19:22   Link #6930
AstroNerdBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zibi88 View Post
Well I dont like how Akamatsu tries to force the Touta x Eva thing...
Yep. This has been a total bugaboo of mine. As you said, she fell for Negi, but now it's Touta 'cause he was retconned in to be first? And that's to say nothing of the incest-inseki element.

Quote:
In the last battle I reallly hope that Negi/Ialda will cut off the gate to Venus completly leaving Touta with no free infinite magic source while also crippling his vampire immortality kinda to force him to be carefull not to f...k up or death. Use experience and not "tricks" (blood on battlefield teleport).
This is actually fine with me. And this would work well for a battle-harem ending, whereby Touta's harem also act as his protectors.

Quote:
Well c167 at least tries to get back on the story and not some fanservice bs. but then again at the end again that BS thing returns I mentioned at the very begginig....thing I dont like. She has a moment in peace, reflecting on her emotions and here again Touta has to enter and f...k it up with his pressence.
I didn't mind the hijinks. I was surprised by it since it is a waste of pages if Akamatsu-sensei is actually trying to end the manga quickly.

Old 2019-12-12, 03:35   Link #6931
Shippuu
┐(-。ー')┌

I think people give Akamatsu too much credit with whatever happened back then with that whole copyright mess. I think even with that there was, in reality, little stopping him from picking up where he left off if he actually wanted to. He simply didn't.
I got the feeling that he didn't want to continue Negima anymore. Maybe because he was tired of it in its current form or maybe simply because he didn't know how. Graduation was coming up, Asuna presumably goes back to the Magic World to work on Vespertatia's/Ostia's restoration, the other girls go to other schools, Negi does.. whatever. With the cast split up it may have been too difficult to continue a coherent narrative.
Whatever the reason it wasn't really a surprise that it happened. Already in the foreword for the final volume he hinted at a continuation in a different format. UQ Holder may already have existed in his mind then. In some form anyway.

There is many things I dislike about UQ Holder. It's simplicity, the seeming lack of effort. It certainly doesn't have over 70+ pages of fan art/letter corners, a lexicon detailing spells and mechanics of its magic system based on loads of historical facts and the magical equivalent of technobabble, commentary on the various 3D models used for the story, prototype ideas and initial character and location concepts etc. that Negima had tucked away in its volumes over the years. Getting rid of Classical Magic and replacing it by Science-Magic had promise but ultimately means little as it's really just Classical Magic enabled through technology with otherwise no real difference. We don't know how it works, we don't know why it's better than Classical Magic. We don't know why the shield in the latest chapter was such a big deal compared to a normal shield. Ken could've used the opportunity to create a new magic system based on technology like Mahouka but I suppose it was too much to ask. The lack of world-building, the consequences of making magic public, massive rise in magical crime that the world simply can't keep up with, magic supremacy, racism toward demi-humans the fact that despite all their good intentions the world is going to hell and they can do little to stop it and they're forced to at least acknowledge that Ialda's plan is not entirely without merit rather than just blindly dismissing it as evil brainwashery from the evil last boss etc. There was a well of potential topics in the early days of UQ Holder that he just abandoned completely.
Despite the prevalence of immortality the topic isn't really explored at all and the difference between the various kinds of immortality are also becoming increasingly blurred. There is barely any limits or variation to them. Even Kuroumaru can now regenerate from total obliteration. So what really is the difference between his, a Noble's immortality, Evangeline's immortality and the Black of Venus? At least in terms of regeneration they all do basically the same thing anyway. Even people with weaker immortality like Jinbei can offset it with abilities so broken he could probably Switcheroo himself back from the afterlife. We never really get any insights into how people think of their immortality or how it affects their lives. And it doesn't help that their inability to die is one of many reasons this story has basically zero tension. And of course Kirie. Fuck her. Or the fact that the main cast's abilities are already so broken I actually have to wonder how Ialda is supposed to have any chance at all. It feels like Ken has to come up with excuses for HER not to lose immediately even though it's normally the other way around.
The plot lacks direction. Most of UQ Holder is the cast sitting around in Tokyo talking about events from the past or parallel worlds and what little plot there was usually came to them rather then the other way around. Even though it has been running for 6 years it feels like the story is just about the get started (even though the end is already coming in 2-3 years) and everything so far was just a long prologue. They were no closer to Ialda than they were at the beginning of the story until Ba'al drops in out of nowhere and gives them a convenient clue. And one that made little sense as well. He was defeated in 165 but at the start of 166 he's suddenly disappeared for some reason even though his physical AND spiritual body were destroyed. What is a spiritual body? His soul? How can he survive the destruction of his soul? If his real body is some monster in another dimension what is the body talking to them? What does any of it mean and how does it work? I don't think even Ken knows. But I digress again. Negima had this problem as well. Despite 9 years the climax at the Gravekeeper's Palace really felt like the end of the prologue to a story we never got but Negima still had meaningful progress and worldbuilding and the cast actively worked toward their goals in the meantime.
And of course the fanservice and harem hijinks. I never liked either but it's starting to really irritate me now that there isn't much time left. If you were to put all of it together you could probably fill several monthly chapters with it that could be used for better things.

My biggest complaint with UQ Holder is of course Touta. He's not quite as bad as he used to be but still pretty terrible, and I dislike him not just because his personality reminds me, and Eva, of Nagi whom I always hated because he was an obnoxious manchild living out his hero fantasies (and had zero chemistry with Arika) or because his Mary Sue tendencies or because he went from a bumbling idiot who didn't want to train to a magical genius who studies complex ancient magic effortlessly, offscreen and in record time or because clones are one of the cheapest narrative devices ever or because his existence also massively devalues Negi and Asuna, which leads me to one of the most vexing questions I have regarding UQ Holder.

Why was Asuna not the protagonist of this sequel?

It would have required some rewrites, the whole immortality theme wouldn't really work but this was the perfect opportunity for her to step out of Negi's shadow and be the protagonist of her own story. Her sacrifice would not be ruined by time travel, the story would have actual consequences for once, she would have a lot of emotional baggage after losing everyone she cared about but despite this it presents the opportunity for a new start. She was noted to have the potential to be one of the most powerful people in the setting though that was long before Kankahou became useless and Magia Erebea the setting's equivalent of the Sharingan. If Kankahou would have been more fleshed out she could have used a fighting style combining western and (still largely underdeveloped) eastern magic simultaneously through Kankahou which would've fit the recurring duality theme of her character. She has loads of potentially juicy backstory and strong ties to the setting's history and a strong personal connection to Negi and Ialda (Asuna is also seemingly the only person in this entire story who seems to have any empathy towards Ialda, calling her terrible but also sorrowful and when they meet during the race she has a rather playful attitude torwards her) unlike Touta who is basically Negi's obsession with his father but much worse. Negi at least met his father before during a very traumatic and important moment in his life. I always thought Negi's obsession with Nagi was a bit disturbing but it's much more believable than Touta's crusade. He only really does anything because that's what he's been made for or it's what other people tell him to do.
Not to mention she had the whole potential restoration of Ostia (if that's still a thing in the future) and being a symbol of harmony between worlds going on. This baffled me a bit because from what little we've seen of her she seems rather unqualified for such a role but it would have been an interesting coming-of-age journey to see a more mature Asuna working toward this goal.
Certainly a more interesting character arc than ""I want to be friends with everyone and save people I have zero connection to and never really met while banging Evangeline or Kirie by the end of it." She also had a pretty interesting relationship with Evangeline, who technically was her teacher at some point. Evangeline also sees her past self in Asuna and there was a lot of potential there and they may even have been co-protagonists in a way because despite being potentially very powerful there is little chance for Asuna to defeat Ialda on her own. She's just a person after all, unlike resident god-to-be Touta. It seemed to me that Evangeline was meant to be more important in the early days of UQ Holder because she too got sidelined hard for the ballad of Clone Jesus and these days seems to be little more than a romantic trophy. Notice how she does absolutely nothing in the battle against Ba'al, one of her supposed archnemesis..ses? I don't think she even got any panels until after it was over even though she was right there.

So why wasn't she the protagonist? Maybe because as a girl she's automatically a fifth-class citizen in a shounen manga. Maybe because using a sword isn't manly enough for a shounen manga and its a bit awkward choreography-wise for a sword and fists to interact with each other which is probably why Touta's sable sidestick has almost completely disappeared from the story. Maybe Ken just hates her. At the very least I'm certain that there is no character in Negima and UQ Holder that has been treated worse than her. In Negima she had at least the first half of the story before she became a living McGuffin. UQ Holder doesn't even pretend otherwise.

At the end of the day Ken should've either made a direct continuation, a sequel with Asuna in the distant future or a completely new story either in a new universe or in the existing one (but after the Lifemaker conflict with the old cast only returning as cameos) but instead we got this. There is little doubt in my mind that this is the worst thing he could have possibly done. Who is this story for? It's certainly not what fans wanted and people who like UQ Holder get Negima constantly shoved in their faces without understanding any of its emotional significance or backstory because they haven't read the previous series. It's such a pointless mess.

Last edited by Shippuu; 2019-12-12 at 10:03.
Shippuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-12, 09:35   Link #6932
NapoleonDeCheese

Quote:
I think people give Akamatsu too much credit with whatever happened back then with that whole copyright mess. I think even with that there was, in reality, little stopping him from picking up where he left off if he actually wanted to. He simply didn't.

Yeah, I mean, from the very start he was using Evangeline and he also was showing the Negima cast in the very second page of the series. He could have used the rest of the cast for whatever he wanted even back then, he just didn't want to.

Quote:
I got the feeling that he didn't want to continue Negima anymore. Maybe because he was tired of it in its current form or maybe simply because he didn't know how. Graduation was coming up, Asuna presumably goes back to the Magic World to work on Vespertatia's/Ostia's restoration, the other girls go to other schools, Negi does.. whatever. With the cast split up it may have been too difficult to continue a coherent narrative.
I have the feeling what we're seeing in UQ Holder may be rearranged plots of what he would've done with Negima after Negi became an immortal. Mizore is pretty much playing the same role as Ayaka (down to the same Artifact), Kirie might be following beats of Chisame's later character arc (obviously minus the reset points stuff, which is clearly made for Kirie instead unless Akamatsu planned to upgrade Chisame somehow), Ikkuu might be doing things originally intended for Chachamaru (down to having the same satellite), and so on. Nikiti and Touta's sudden buddy-buddy rivalry is even striking me as something originally intended for Fate and Negi as teammates and then badly shoehorned in here.

Negi is pretty much playing the very same role Nagi might have played there, too.

My suspicions are Akamatsu originally planned to move Negi into the world of immortals, with some of his most loyal followers coming along, and those would have been the blueprints of what we ended up getting. If I'm right then Touta is just playing the role intended originally for Negi (but being played as a typical stock Shounen Idiot Hero instead), which would explain why the story leveled him up to Negi's level so fast, and why sometimes he acts so out of character when the plot needs him to.
Old 2019-12-13, 00:49   Link #6933
Akira Theia

Quote:
Originally Posted by NapoleonDeCheese View Post
I have the feeling what we're seeing in UQ Holder may be rearranged plots of what he would've done with Negima after Negi became an immortal. Mizore is pretty much playing the same role as Ayaka (down to the same Artifact), Kirie might be following beats of Chisame's later character arc (obviously minus the reset points stuff, which is clearly made for Kirie instead unless Akamatsu planned to upgrade Chisame somehow), Ikkuu might be doing things originally intended for Chachamaru (down to having the same satellite), and so on. Nikiti and Touta's sudden buddy-buddy rivalry is even striking me as something originally intended for Fate and Negi as teammates and then badly shoehorned in here.
If that’s the case, UQ Holder is even more superfluous than I had thought. It’s just a recycled Negima plot thread acted by cheap stand-ins instead of the Negima cast to make it work because none of these immortals have a personal connection to it. They’re just getting involved in this because Yukihime is bossing them around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroNerdBoy View Post
Further to that, while I appreciate Eva getting a backstory (something I cried for in Negima!), I didn't like that this was a means by which Sensei created this Touta x Eva inseki (not actual incest, but rather a guardian x ward sexual/romantic relationship) vibe.
Frankly, the moment ToutaxEva became a thing was when I realized there was no hope for this manga. All it was trying to do was desperately keep readers who want Evangeline, but don’t really care about her character. I think Akamatsu will tease it to the very end for that sake, but he probably doesn’t want the inseki route to be endgame. I don’t even think Touta likes Yukihime romantically. The one he has a crush on is still Kitty and he’s just projecting those feelings onto Yukihime. I’m also convinced his (in my opinion, super forced) attraction to Kirie is only caused by her being the closest thing to Kitty his harem has to offer.

This manga will probably end with Negi being saved, but in a coma like Nagi did in the Asuna Ex Machina timeline. Yukihime vows to look after him and wait until he wakes up forever. Touta wishes so much to make all his harem happy that he miraculously develops a technique to duplicate himself so none of his fangirls cry over him. That’s all folks.

Quote:
It seemed to me that Evangeline was meant to be more important in the early days of UQ Holder because she too got sidelined hard for the ballad of Clone Jesus and these days seems to be little more than a romantic trophy.
Seeing the way Yukihime has been handled, I don’t believe she was ever meant to be that much of a main character in this series. Just a way to draw in old readers. Early in the series, she was kicked to the background as soon as the UQ Holder organization showed up out of nowhere. She only began to have more panel time during the Dana training arc and only to start pushing for that time travel romance with her son figure that made me lose good will for the series right away. That says a lot. I even found a UQ Holder prototype that had Eva dying in the very first chapter… Yeah, Akamatsu clearly never wanted her to be important and probably didn’t even know how to explore her character in a cohesive way.

To expand a bit on what I meant with Yukihime, I just think the way UQ Holder has explored her past didn’t success at making her an interesting or relatable character for me. I still haven’t pin down well what it is, but I think it has a lot to do with Touta’s involvement in it and the shoehorning of elements that I don’t feel work.

For starters, the addition of Dana and Karin in her backstory. That obviously wasn’t a thing in Negima. And don’t get me wrong, I do believe they could have worked in with Eva’s character in a functional way, but the problem I see is that Dana and Karin revolve around Touta, not Eva. Dana is introduced specifically as Touta’s OP God Spartan coach. And I’m not getting into her arc being what started the ToutaxEva BS. Other than Karin’s crazy jealousy towards Touta and that flashback from 600 years ago that happened way too late, I have never felt like Yukihime and Karin have a connection because they have never even had a meaningful interaction or conversation. That feels seriously wrong to me given that their flashback told us Yukihime had more experiences with Karin than with Nagi, Negi and all of 3-A combined. As a result, Karin has ended up as yet another tsundere in Touta’s harem and her backstory with Yukihime, while cool on the surface, made Karin into a pointless extension of Eva's character in the same way Kuroumaru is to Touta. That flashback mini arc also didn’t amount to much besides introducing Ba’al, which could had happened in tons of different and more effective ways. Besides, what happened to that tale of Yukihime saving Karin from a village that tortured her? Now it never happened?

Then there is the connection of Yukihime to the Lifemaker. Even when I read Negima, it felt very weird because the only thing telling us they had a connection was the Lifemaker calling Eva “daughter” and Albireo saying Lifemaker experimented with her. You think UQ Holder would make the connection clearer, but I’m just more confused. So, Eva was a random peasant girl, the Lifemaker arrived on a horse, and took her to a castle? Why did Lifemaker picked up Eva of all people? Did Eva’s parents have a say in the matter? How did the Lifemaker treat Eva when they lived at that castle? Were the experiments that made Eva immortal painful or just a magic trick? That’s the sort of thing UQ Holder should have focused on to justify Yukihime being Lifemaker’s enemy. As it is, Yukihime could have been turned into a vampire by anyone else since she already opposes Lifemaker only because she possessed her love interests anyway.

Also, personally, I liked to imagine Evangeline as a more morally gray character. UQ Holder has presented her as too much of a misunderstood hero for my taste. I’m not saying I wanted her to be the evil final boss Negima made her out to be (I know that was exaggeration for comedy’s sake). UQ Holder tells us she saved Earth from an evil Martian invasion and everyone else she killed asked for it because they either wanted money or revenge. And that’s just… not that interesting to me. It might work with other people and I respect that, but that’s just not the Eva origin story I wanted.

And why should I care if Yukihime gets a happy ending? Because that’s what I get the main goal of Touta and the narrative is now. But both timelines basically tell us all that is needed for Yukihime to be happy is to let the Magia Erebea superhero defeat the Lifemaker so Yukihime can bang the Springfield the villain had under control.

Quote:
Maybe Ken just hates her.
I have felt like Akamatsu came to hate the entire Negima cast at some point. He literally made some of them return as villains. He showed Negi’s first love getting brutally murdered. He made the ultimate insult by reducing the happy future of Negima to a, as Dana calls it, cheat code. That’s his way of saying the “true” future is what we’re seeing in UQ Holder and damn that the Negima cast got the short end of the stick there.

Akamatsu probably blames Negima as the reason readers didn’t come to love his new immortal cast. As for me who never had a strong attachment to that series, I was open to like the immortals if they were written more interesting, but for that, they needed agency and for Akamatsu to try something different with his characters than what he did before. For example, Kuroumaru. I liked them when it seemed like their character arc was going to be about that immortal hunter clan and learning to trust immortals. But nope, all Kuroumaru needed was getting beaten the crap out by this immortal boy who forces them to be their buddy and that automatically makes Kuroumaru smitten with Touta. Then, they became Setsuna with a seriously inconvenient, mishandled and frankly pointless gender issue. Might have just made Kuroumaru a random girl Touta mistook for a boy like Shinobu and it would be the same.

Five-four years ago, I would have been happy to see UQ Holder going to Mars just for a chance to see Kuroumaru’s clan, but at this point, I wouldn’t see any meaning. To me, Kuroumaru’s character only existed for the first ten chapters of the manga. After that, it’s just an uncool Setsuna with a different hairstyle.

As for the other characters, bah, don’t care. They’re either plot tools or cardboard cutouts. The best I can say is that Nikitis would have been one hell of an entertaining character if he wasn’t introduced at a point where it doesn’t matter anymore and if he was used as something other than a poor man’s Fate to Touta’s poor man’s Negi.

The only characters I ever liked in this manga were Santa and Sayoko. Those two were the only ones who had a credible connection that wasn’t forced nor relied on soulless Negima leftovers. Yes, Sayoko was a genocidal nutjob, but I found her a more compelling villain than those that came next like Cutlass, Lifemaker and Ba’al. That’s because she showed other emotions besides being a psycho that laughs as she spreads blood everywhere. While her character ended defined by Santa, she honestly loved him and their moments together were the only ones that were effectively heartfelt in this whole manga for me. Santa should have left with Sayoko to make their arc feel complete instead of becoming that background prop that sometimes has a speech bubble only to show his complete loss of a personality.

I think the best for me is to conclude UQ Holder was cancelled after Santa’s arc because that was when the editorial and Akamatsu realized the readers only wanted Negima. The rest is just a Negima doujinshi using the character designs of UQ Holder instead of those of Negima.

By now, I only wonder what guided Akamatsu to make these problematic choices that obviously didn’t satisfy the readers, the editorial nor even himself. If he didn’t want to do Negima anymore, fine, but what he ended up doing in UQ Holder was probably the worst course of action. But, well, authors are mere humans and humans mess up all the time; we just notice it more when it disappoints a lot of people.

Last edited by Akira Theia; 2020-02-07 at 15:36.
Akira Theia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-13, 06:17   Link #6934
NapoleonDeCheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira Theia View Post
This manga will probably end with Negi being saved, but in a coma like Nagi did in the Asuna Ex Machina timeline. Yukihime vows to look after him and wait until he wakes up forever. Touta wishes so much to make all his harem happy that he miraculously develops a technique to duplicate himself so none of his fangirls cry over him. That’s all folks.
I still think Yukihime is the same Evangeline we see in the epilogue to Negima. Negi will probably be killed off but then reunited in death with Chisame so they can move on together. Touta ends up with another of the girls, maybe Kirie, and Eva moves on. I doubt we'll have a harem even if Touta already has shown he can get duplicate, since Akamatsu seems to dislike harem endings (even a simple three way relationship between Negi, Nodoka and Yue leads to disaster).

Chao shows up further confusing those who didn't read Negima, takes Asuna and Eva back in time to close the loop. Eva leaves Touta in charge of UQ Holder even above the senior members because Jinbei is a lazy bum who doesn't care about leadership and nobody else but Touta matters.

Quote:
Other than Karin’s crazy jealousy towards Touta and that flashback from 600 years ago that happened way too late, I have never felt like Yukihime and Karin have a connection because they have never even had a meaningful interaction or conversation. That feels seriously wrong to me given that their flashback told us Yukihime had more experiences with Karin than with Nagi, Negi and all of 3-A combined. As a result, Karin has ended up as yet another tsundere in Touta’s harem and her backstory with Yukihime, while cool on the surface, made Karin into a pointless extension of Eva's character in the same way Kuroumaru is to Touta.
I always thought it was a waste not having Karin and Chachamaru, Evangeline's two main servants, interact with each other even though Chacha is just a call away. Have they ever traded stories on Eva? That would be interesting. Does Karin feel threatened over the bond Eva once had with Chacha (and which now seems to matter nothing at all whatsoever since Eva never even mentions Chacha)? Or is she thankful because Chacha was there for Eva for the time Karin herself wasn't because of unexplained reasons?

That would be interesting to explore and enrich the characters but since Akamatsu can't have the cast do anything that doesn't revolve about Touta, it never happens. What is Chachamaru in this series for anyway? She's never done anything but pushing Ayaka's whelchair around a bit and then f*ck off, Ikkuu even has her satellite because... Chacha trusts him? Are they friends? Again, great potential unexplored because it's not about Touta. Chachamaru might have as well died off in the past since she never does anything. One of the more popular, beloved, bankable Negima characters, with a good excuse to be alive far into the future, and she's wasted like this.

Quote:
Akamatsu probably blames Negima as the reason readers didn’t come to love his new immortal cast.
Another thing I suspect is Akamatsu and Kodansha came to resent Negima for not translating well to other bankable media. Which isn's Negima's fault, it's that of the boneheads who handled the anime, live action and videogame adaptations, but still, by the time of the Ala Alba and Mundus Magicus OVAs, which were too little too late, in the eyes of anime-only audiences the franchise's name had become a joke synonymous with something to avoid.

My guess is they thought they'd do better with a new name and restart, so this is done in a large part with a mercenary rather than narrative goal. But then turns out most audiences prefer Negima anyway and want more of it, so clumsily they ramp what's left of the Negima content up, put a Negima 2 on the title and think that'll be enough for the new anime to succeed.

Well, the UQ Holder anime tanked even harder than the previous ones, so the fault of the franchise's multimedia failure isn't the Negima cast's, Kenny boy, it's yours and Kodansha's for choosing nimrods to adapt at each other and not keeping a tight leash on them (which I imagine you could have done since you are credited as consultant attendant for literally every adaptation of your work to date).

Now you're left with a broken, failed franchise and you apparently can't even keep up with a monthly schedule anymore, so congrats on sinking your career along with your universe.
Old 2019-12-13, 09:38   Link #6935
Shippuu
┐(-。ー')┌

Quote:
I still think Yukihime is the same Evangeline we see in the epilogue to Negima.
To be honest this whole timeline shebang is still confusing me and despite Akamatsu attempting to explain it several times I'm still unsure about what really happened. Either Chao going back in time with Asuna created a new timeline for the happy ending ("happy" since none of the people in it are actually the people Asuna knew and just a bunch of replacement goldfish) while the bad future still exists (even though it may not necessarily be the UQ Holder timeline); or them traveling back in time actually rewrote the bad future which not only completely goes against the whole ethical discussion about time travel Negi and Yue had during the Mahora Festival it's also rather disturbing because they not only committed mass murder on a universal scale, most of the people and futures they just killed will never be born due to changes to the timeline. I don't think they have any right to preach to Ialda.

Never liked time travel and it's almost never worth it. Aside from being a lazy way out of a problem it just makes an unnecessary and unethical mess of things. Not to mention in either case until further revelations are brought to light UQ Holder isn't actually connected to the other timelines at all, making it feel even more pointless. On one hand the events in Asuna's bad future seemed to have progressed differently than the events of UQ Holder when looking at the photos in Asuna's time capsule, particularly concerning Yue and Nodoka. Considering the date of death on Negi's tombstone (located in different places in each timeline) is exactly the same as it is in the UQ Holder timeline (the date of the second battle against Ialda on Saturn) I think that in Asuna's bad future Negi succeeded in destroying himself and Ialda with Manus Jaldae, although Akamatsu is obviously never going to elaborate why it didn't work in the UQ Holder timeline because he himself probably doesn't know.
But if the UQ Holder timeline is not the same one as Asuna's bad future why do they have Chao's records of the happy end timeline lying around? Did Chao just travel the entire multiverse and told everyone and their mother about the events of timelines that have nothing to do with theirs?

Last edited by Shippuu; 2019-12-13 at 11:46.
Shippuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-13, 11:29   Link #6936
NapoleonDeCheese

Quote:
("happy" since none of the people in it are actually the people Asuna knew and just a bunch of replacement goldfish)
No, they are still the same people Asuna knew. Asuna interacted with 3-A and Negi before the temporal divergence point of her going back in time was created. Hence those people are still the same, she didn't change anything from that far into the past.

Time travel just created branching timelines from the point where the alterations were made.
Old 2019-12-13, 18:51   Link #6937
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
We don't know how it works, we don't know why it's better than Classical Magic.
This was explained back when Santa appeared. Fusing magic and technology makes magic easier to use, less dependent on factors like natural talent.

Quote:
We don't know why the shield in the latest chapter was such a big deal compared to a normal shield.
A normal magic shield like that would require an extremely powerful mage to create. Something like that the shield in the latest chapter can be done as long as you have enough electricity.

Speaking of the latest chapter, it was a good example of UQ Holder's strengths.

The coordination of the battle was better than anything we've seen from Akamatsu before, to my mind. We see Eva actually fulfilling her role as a mage with long distance wide area bombardment, Santa and Jinbei combining abilities, Ikku doing aerial point to point sniping, etc. That's good, that's the kind of thing I hope we'll see more of as the manga progresses.

Quote:
The lack of world-building, the consequences of making magic public, massive rise in magical crime that the world simply can't keep up with, magic supremacy, racism toward demi-humans the fact that despite all their good intentions the world is going to hell and they can do little to stop it and they're forced to at least acknowledge that Ialda's plan is not entirely without merit rather than just blindly dismissing it as evil brainwashery from the evil last boss etc. There was a well of potential topics in the early days of UQ Holder that he just abandoned completely.
This I do agree with. Despite the fact that I actually do enjoy this manga I do believe it could have handled things better in this respect. The moment Touta was introduced as Negi's grandson, I expected the series to focus on loose ends from Negima, but not to this extent.

Quote:
of Nagi whom I always hated because he was an obnoxious manchild living out his hero fantasies (and had zero chemistry with Arika)
I've heard this argument from you before, but for the life of me I can't understand the basis behind it. In many ways Nagi is the person who made the most sacrificies in this universe.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-13, 21:08   Link #6938
NapoleonDeCheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
The coordination of the battle was better than anything we've seen from Akamatsu before, to my mind. We see Eva actually fulfilling her role as a mage with long distance wide area bombardment, Santa and Jinbei combining abilities, Ikku doing aerial point to point sniping, etc. That's good, that's the kind of thing I hope we'll see more of as the manga progresses.
It'd have been nice to see had we had been allowed more time to see Nikitis, Sept and Juuzou getting to bond and adapt to working with Touta's team. As it is, it just feels weird to be presented with them being a well oiled machine when only two chapters ago they were beating the bloody heck out of each other and then have no real panel time of growing used to work together.
Old 2019-12-13, 23:11   Link #6939
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
It'd have been nice to see had we had been allowed more time to see Nikitis, Sept and Juuzou getting to bond and adapt to working with Touta's team. As it is, it just feels weird to be presented with them being a well oiled machine when only two chapters ago they were beating the bloody heck out of each other and then have no real panel time of growing used to work together.
Compared to say, Touta and Kuromaru and Jinbei and Santa who were combining their abilities pretty well, Niktis and Juuzo were really only taking down the Demon God Soldiers through brute force, so you can say they haven't really blended in yet.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-08, 22:44   Link #6940
SilverGlavenus

"You were my first love". "Now you're one of my most reliable soldiers, like a little brother".

Dang, I gotta sympathize with Touta. The author is playing some next level mind games with him here. Can he ever escape the friend/brother/son/soldier zone ?? The kiss felt like a consolation prize, full of pity and in order to make him a useful pawn again.

His motivations line up pretty well with his personality I gotta say. Touta ultimately believed too much in his purpose of making Yukihime smile.
SilverGlavenus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, comedy, harem, mother-con, negima, sequel, time travel, waiting for love