AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2011-11-06, 19:46   Link #2701
gwern

This thread would be more interesting if anyone read what the creators had to say on Mari and her character. They've said a fair bit, you know.

Once again, I will link some useful documents:

- http://www.gwern.net/docs/2010-crc
- http://www.gwern.net/otaku
gwern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-07, 10:46   Link #2702
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwern View Post
This thread would be more interesting if anyone read what the creators had to say on Mari and her character. They've said a fair bit, you know.

Once again, I will link some useful documents:

- http://www.gwern.net/docs/2010-crc
- http://www.gwern.net/otaku
The thing si Anno admits she was a foreign material and despite all his efforst she still feel like a foreign material.

What is worse she (or rather her screen-time and 'taking' some pf Asuka's original personality) made Asuka shallow and foreign as well.

Mari just doesnt seem to have any real role in evangelion other than being a megane fanservice. Despite all of Anno's attempts it is a major fail of the second movie. Shinji's and Rei's characters are pretty ok though. They get plenty of attention and do not feel as shallow as Asuka or Mari. But all in all the movies feel rather shallow stuff in general with a more fancy art, but the lack of depth the TV series had.

Evangelions power is its characters. When half of it turn into a very shallow you know you have a pronlem. Its hard to connect to the Asuka or Mari, hell Aria from Hidan No Aria looks much more deeper and easier to connect to than those two at this point.

Last edited by Darknemo2000; 2011-11-07 at 10:56.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-13, 04:05   Link #2703
Shinji01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
Well both Mari and Shikinami are rather shallow characters in the series. They do not seem like well persons but rather like moving, talking ploy devices.

You may say that it is usual and it actually is, but in original evengelion most of the character were actually pretty deep and unique, now Mari and the Shikinami just lack that depth inn general. Maybe because original Asuka's personality was sort of split between the two, or maybe because the screen time was split but whatever is the case neither of those characters look deep personality wise.

I mean this Asuka's main defining features are that she is a typical tsundere redhead that you see in 10000 animes nowdays, has one-eye (well will have) and is a captain. That looks a totally skin deep when you compare to how she originally was.

Mari is even worse in that regard...
Firstly, sorry I didnt have time to read all the posts here so I am just be repeating a topic all ready covered, but is it not given that the one eyed Asuka is not Shikinami but Soryu?

The taped up parts of the plug suit and the eye with the patch matches the damages EVA02 and Asuka suffered in EOE.

If this was the case, I think both Soryu and Shikinami will have sufficient plot to unravel in the 3rd movie.

I guess I just want to say, its way tooooo early to discuss the necessity of characters when technically we are only half way through the rebuild.
Shinji01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-31, 20:29   Link #2704
Hagoshod
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Hagoshod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
She killed an angel
An angel that had as much to do with the original plot as she does and was lazily thrown into the first five minutes of the movie for no other reason than artificially making her look relevant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
and gave Shinji encouragement when he needed it (story contribution).
Except the motivational speech she gave Shinji was literally copied and pasted from something already written for Kaiji's character in the exact same scene in the TV series. Nothing she does can be attributed as a new or meaningful contribution from her character.
Hagoshod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-13, 03:39   Link #2705
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

If they really do intend to tie Rebuild story into that of NGE, then I'll probably have to rewatch NGE to comprehend the new plot. It's an anime series with a plot and characters that are very much worth rewatching anyway, so no problem here.

As for Mari, I like her, but I can understand why she is disliked. Rebuild 2 was simply too darn short for the amount of plot it covered, and Mari hogged precious screen time that could have been used to flesh out other characters, particularly Asuka. I really would have preferred Gainax to cut down the average budget per scene to make the movie around 150 minutes long rather than 110. The film wouldn't have looked as utterly breathtaking as it ended up, but it would have been much better paced.

The two reasons I like Mari are

1. Because she's super sexy.
2. Because her crazy personality is fun to watch.

Both reasons are shallow, but they still rescue her from being an undesirable character in my eyes. Still, not everyone will appreciate her qualities as much as I do, and it does say something about the value of a character in a story when the audience's opinion on her depends on how sexy and crazy they find her.

Is Mari a character? Yeah, but not a main character, and maybe not even a secondary character. She might acquire a more pivotal role in later films, but right now she stands out as little more than a tertiary character, similar to Patrick from Gundam 00, and Kiyal from Gurren Lagann. And I like her for what she is.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-13, 03:43   Link #2706
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

I think much of the problems people hold with Mari isn't that she takes up valuable time, which she does, but more that her character didn't fulfill any role that wasn't already fulfilled by another character in the original. Basically the screen time she did take up could've been better put to use to develop the massively underdeveloped cast members like Kaiji.

That's why many fans thought that Mari was just another sex doll to cash in for.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-13, 03:54   Link #2707
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
I think much of the problems people hold with Mari isn't that she takes up valuable time, which she does, but more that her character didn't fulfill any role that wasn't already fulfilled by another character in the original. Basically the screen time she did take up could've been better put to use to develop the massively underdeveloped cast members like Kaiji.
Now that you mention it, I agree that that was a cheap move on the part of the creators. If you're going to throw in a new character in a remake, it's good to at least give them a slightly more unique role.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-17, 16:21   Link #2708
SSJBeastmode

I bought 2.22, and I was kind of pissed that Mari was on the cover... I mean c'mon. At least give me some Rei, if your just going to put a single character on it.
SSJBeastmode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-17, 16:30   Link #2709
Ashaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
Now that you mention it, I agree that that was a cheap move on the part of the creators. If you're going to throw in a new character in a remake, it's good to at least give them a slightly more unique role.
2 more movies left. Just because Mari didn't get the unique plot role here, doesn't mean she wont in the next two.

You could say this was her introduction, and there is nothing to say she wont come into her proper place later on.

Its a whole new world, after all.
Old 2012-01-17, 17:43   Link #2710
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Doesn't change the fact that 2.0 was a disaster.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-18, 10:26   Link #2711
Solafighter
Hige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Doesn't change the fact that 2.0 was a disaster.
It wasnt that of an disaster. But it was certainly not better than the first film.
Old 2012-01-18, 10:35   Link #2712
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Well its certainly better than the TV series when its just reach halfway. Just saying..
Old 2012-01-20, 03:12   Link #2713
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Mm, actually I felt 2.0 was worse in that regard. It covered my favorite part of the series, but cramming 14 episodes into 1 movie had a pretty lousy effect, I'd say.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-17, 14:34   Link #2714
Kyouka
Is Here

any new trailers out yet?
Kyouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-22, 07:57   Link #2715
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

since this is the most active Evangelion forum on animsuki I thought I might post these here.

Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-22, 15:33   Link #2716
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Did you draw those?
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-22, 16:38   Link #2717
Solafighter
Hige

Nice artwork, thats for sure.
Old 2012-02-22, 18:24   Link #2718
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
Did you draw those?
Considering that I have no artistic ability right now, I find it very unlikely that I drew something like this when I was 7

No, the artist is Adam Warren. The link to the full sized images and the artists deviant account are hyper linked into the two images of Rei I posted.

I've been keeping my eye on him lately since he's been reposting old stuff, and I'm hoping he'd put a higher res version of this up.

Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-22, 19:54   Link #2719
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

He's pretty decent.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-19, 09:11   Link #2720
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by konart View Post
The 4.0 is planned for the next year, if I'm not mistaken
The "2013" date is no longer on the official website.

Now, that doesn't necessarily mean anything, but...

EDIT: http://evangelion.co.jp/final.html

Tags
movie, remake