AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-09-30, 16:39   Link #1241
Wesley84

They wouldn't have been able to win if they hadn't tried shutting it down first, which made it lose it's shield.
Wesley84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-30, 18:10   Link #1242
einhorn303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
They wouldn't have been able to win if they hadn't tried shutting it down first, which made it lose it's shield.
God...for a while there I got confused and thought I was in the US Elections 2008 thread. orz
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-30, 18:19   Link #1243
kct

Send a message via MSN to kct
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
The problem here is that you only look at the advances made in magic, not magic and technology as a whole. Physics can't be overcome? If that was true the F-22 wouldn't even exist.
SCIENCE. It always have to be SCIENCE.

Quote:
The magical power of witches is not likely to change drastically, but how about the technology to concentrate and enhance that power? As technology progresses, its highly likely that Striker units will be able to go faster, be more maneuverable and yet have the same energy expenditure, perhaps slightly more, perhaps slightly less, because of the advances in technology. Likewise, the physics can be overcome by increasing the effect of the magical protection of the witches, again through technology.
Technomagic? The question is about what happens after development of the basic Striker unit post WWII/Neuroi war timeline (that is, what happens after 1945). The biggest advantages the jet engine offered is speed AND altitude (something which the Which can take advantage of, easily). That is also why they resorted to strapping jet engine pods on the B-36 Peacemaker, which boosted the speed (which is not a big thin, but helps), and the operational altitude of the huge bombers (which is very important to avoid Soviet interceptors). However...they would also be a speed boost to the Witches, although it might not be immediate (post-war development bugs and the experimental frenzies of the 1950s and 1960s).

Quote:
I don't understand what you are trying to prove with showing that on the long term, normal fighters are superior. I never even argued that (well, against Neuroi I might, but we aren't talking about Neuroi here), and with the whole 'magic deteriorates below combat level when witches reach their 20s' I don't see how this can be argued. It also has nothing to do with whether an F-22 Striker will be able to reach Mach-2.

Really, how you turned my claim that an F-22 Striker could be faster then an F-22 Fighter into which of the two is overall superior is beyond me.
Also, fighters have a very blatant disadvantage: loiter time. They might have a good payload of bombs and stuff, but what more can they do after dropping them (not to mention SAMs). THAT is why helicopters proved be a valuable asset, and what changed the landscape of warfare in the 1960s (Vietnam). Even if they were exposed to the same risks, but it is usually after anti-air threats have been taken out via SEAD.

Plus, I don't understand, why didn't anyone came up with using paratroop-style drops, or have the Witches take off from cargo planes (of the C-130 and larger variety, since their rear hatch opening is USEFUL in that context)? This method would reduce the deployment range for the Witches.

Quote:
Pretty much. It's the Nanoha tech thread all over again. You're of the opinion that magic can never equal technology, while I'm of the opinion that magic can take over and enhance elements of the technology and vice versa, thus strengthening the whole.
Oh God. I prefer combining both though.

Last edited by kct; 2008-09-30 at 18:44.
kct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-30, 20:17   Link #1244
Tk3997
Loveable Jerk

Send a message via ICQ to Tk3997 Send a message via AIM to Tk3997 Send a message via MSN to Tk3997
Quote:
Like I said, I wasn't aware the thing was called like that in English.
Hmm I was fairly sure that was it's accepted scientific name and thus used in most languages.

Quote:
It's not exactly common as dirt either. True, red white and blue are common colors in flags, but usually in varying orders or forms. Red-white-blue in that order is actually rather rare. For countries anyway, because you're right about the 416th having that color pattern painted on their tails. I did a bit of digging, and the 416th was indeed a Canadian Squadron.
Yup, acutally now that I think about it you see those kinds of color bars all over spits of that era.

Quote:
Ah well, they're my current favorites anyway. I like Canada, and nothing screams 'awesome' more then a squadron of cute girls in leather jackets blasting the crap out of an enemy. I also like the pre-novel Striker design (with bendable knee joints) better then the current heavy-lump ones.
I agree totally on the last bit, not least of all because I'm not sure that locking your knees in the shown potion for hours on end would't result in serious joint issues.

Quote:
Well, I'm not an expert on airplanes, so you'll see me referring to general info a lot. Mostly because that's all I know, or can find.
Yeah I understand that I'm an enthusiast so I tend to like specifics and such also because in the debates inside that area if you aren't detailed you'll get torn to shreds.

Quote:
The problem here is that you only look at the advances made in magic, not magic and technology as a whole.
The problem here is your assuming that techno-magic can just keep advancing forever in power even though it’s fundamental base, the magic user, is not changing. That’s the problem the user of this magic will not change and just like more advanced technology can make a bicycle slightly faster it won’t make a bike that a human can use to race an F1 car.

Quote:
Physics can't be overcome? If that was true the F-22 wouldn't even exist.
The problems encountered by a large jet fighter are completely different then those that would be faced by what amounts to a supersonic sky diver. Go look up the "Whitcomb area rule" for a start and see how well a human body sqaures with it or I'll save you the effort and tell you that "horribly" is the answer. Once you start going supersonic just being small won't offset bad areodynamics.

Quote:
The magical power of witches is not likely to change drastically, but how about the technology to concentrate and enhance that power?
A total unknown maybe it could happen, but it just as easily couldn't and even if it did happen then it becomes a question of to what degree.

Quote:
As technology progresses, its highly likely that Striker units will be able to go faster, be more maneuverable and yet have the same energy expenditure,
Why is that likely exactly? You state it simply as a fact and yet you have no way to prove it why would they make such drastic bounds in efficiency that they could drastically improve there performance with no extra energy output? Jet fighters got more powerful, but they also started carrying allot more fuel and getting bigger to get the same kinds of ranges as old models.

I don't doubt Strikers will advance, but I'm not at all sure they can advance far enough due a number of problems implicit to the concept to function at the level of a forth or fifth generation fighter aircraft. Helicopters advanced after WW2 for instance, but inherent issues with core aspects of them restricted that growth and IMO strikers could well suffer similar problems.

Quote:
perhaps slightly more, perhaps slightly less, because of the advances in technology. Likewise, the physics can be overcome by increasing the effect of the magical protection of the witches, again through technology.
You just say "It'll be overcome" never mind that the current tech can't even totally cancel out wind chill at a forth the speeds we're dissuading, but you seem to think protecting them from heat intense enough to deform metal at high mach for long periods won't pose any problem. This also ignores my other issues with aerodynamics and control which indeed could be the bigger problem.

Quote:
I don't understand what you are trying to prove with showing that on the long term, normal fighters are superior.and with the whole 'magic deteriorates below combat level when witches reach their 20s' I don't see how this can be argued.
Prove? Hmm not allot really quite allot of this me expounding on possible developments in the field into the future. my main point now being that I don't think we'll see a forth or fifth gen Jet Fighter striker as it wouldn't work or be worth the effort.

Quote:
It also has nothing to do with whether an F-22 Striker will be able to reach Mach-2.
Well that was covered by other areas of my posts.

Quote:
Really, how you turned my claim that an F-22 Striker could be faster then an F-22 Fighter into which of the two is overall superior is beyond me.
Indeed how would purporting that one type of vehicle would be superior to another in some area possibly lead into an evaluation of the twos relative merits... Yes clearly that's totally illogical.

Quote:
Pretty much. It's the Nanoha tech thread all over again. You're of the opinion that magic can never equal technology, while I'm of the opinion that magic can take over and enhance elements of the technology and vice versa, thus strengthening the whole.
Hardly it's judged on a case by case basis stuff like high level 40k warp mind-fuckery done by demons is beyond like 99% of what most tech in that verse can do for instance.

I'm not arguing over any inherent technological superiority, but rather against inflating magics power. The F-22 thing is just an example you seem to go “Well it has magic AND tech so it must automatically be better then tech alone!” That’s like saying that a car with two different engines must be better then another with a single one; one hardly automatically follows the other for any number of reasons.

Actually techno-magic settings are a fav of mine, but it's TECHNO-magic that tends to imply it runs on a number of rules like our own verse and magic is only half the question or quite possibly allot less then half. So while in pure fantasy you might be able to ignore some of these nagging little issues if you commit yourself to a technological approach you then IMO also commit to a higher level of "realism" as it where with concerns to science.

Tk3997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-01, 04:48   Link #1245
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tk3997 View Post
Hmm I was fairly sure that was it's accepted scientific name and thus used in most languages.
It is, but 'accepted scientific name' and 'commonly used name' are two different things.

Quote:
Yup, acutally now that I think about it you see those kinds of color bars all over spits of that era.
Yeah I noticed that too, do those color bars signify anything? Or are they just pretty colors?

Quote:
I agree totally on the last bit, not least of all because I'm not sure that locking your knees in the shown potion for hours on end would't result in serious joint issues.
Locking any of your joints into any position for several hours can end up with serious issues. Locked joints restrict bloodlfow, which can lead to varicoses or even blood clogging. I don't think you need to be a doctor to realize how dangerous that is. Though I don't think the anime bothers with such details.

Quote:
The problem here is your assuming that techno-magic can just keep advancing forever in power even though it’s fundamental base, the magic user, is not changing. That’s the problem the user of this magic will not change and just like more advanced technology can make a bicycle slightly faster it won’t make a bike that a human can use to race an F1 car.
And yet, cars get faster and faster every day, even though they still use the same base fuel. Heck, even my energy analogy fits, as cars are entering the age of "Less fuel, same speed"

Quote:
The problems encountered by a large jet fighter are completely different then those that would be faced by what amounts to a supersonic sky diver. Go look up the "Whitcomb area rule" for a start and see how well a human body sqaures with it or I'll save you the effort and tell you that "horribly" is the answer. Once you start going supersonic just being small won't offset bad areodynamics.
And yet magic can help in that area, aerodynamically shaped forcefields are but the quickest solution to come to mind.

Quote:
A total unknown maybe it could happen, but it just as easily couldn't and even if it did happen then it becomes a question of to what degree.
Considering the advancement of Striker technology is already canon, I'm surprised to see you reject the notion so vehemently.

Quote:
Why is that likely exactly? You state it simply as a fact and yet you have no way to prove it why would they make such drastic bounds in efficiency that they could drastically improve there performance with no extra energy output? Jet fighters got more powerful, but they also started carrying allot more fuel and getting bigger to get the same kinds of ranges as old models.

I don't doubt Strikers will advance, but I'm not at all sure they can advance far enough due a number of problems implicit to the concept to function at the level of a forth or fifth generation fighter aircraft. Helicopters advanced after WW2 for instance, but inherent issues with core aspects of them restricted that growth and IMO strikers could well suffer similar problems.
The analogy was based on cars and commercial aircraft, I'll admit. Regardless, the novels basically state that high speed is the current goal in Striker development. Plus, considering that Strikers are based on real-life aircraft, its a logical conclusion that eventually they'll reach F-22 type Strikers. I'm merely considering and putting forward the various ways to explain such development.

Quote:
You just say "It'll be overcome" never mind that the current tech can't even totally cancel out wind chill at a forth the speeds we're dissuading, but you seem to think protecting them from heat intense enough to deform metal at high mach for long periods won't pose any problem. This also ignores my other issues with aerodynamics and control which indeed could be the bigger problem.
Analogy was based on Shirley, who reached 1200 KM/H in a bikini and suffered no visible ill effect.

Quote:
Prove? Hmm not allot really quite allot of this me expounding on possible developments in the field into the future. my main point now being that I don't think we'll see a forth or fifth gen Jet Fighter striker as it wouldn't work or be worth the effort.
Regular aircraft are virtually useless against Neuroi because of their corroding miasma. As long as neuroi are the main enemy, there will be further Striker development, as they are the only viable weapon humanity has against Neuroi.

Quote:
Indeed how would purporting that one type of vehicle would be superior to another in some area possibly lead into an evaluation of the twos relative merits... Yes clearly that's totally illogical.
So to you, speed = overall superiority? Noted.

Quote:
Hardly it's judged on a case by case basis stuff like high level 40k warp mind-fuckery done by demons is beyond like 99% of what most tech in that verse can do for instance.

I'm not arguing over any inherent technological superiority, but rather against inflating magics power. The F-22 thing is just an example you seem to go “Well it has magic AND tech so it must automatically be better then tech alone!” That’s like saying that a car with two different engines must be better then another with a single one; one hardly automatically follows the other for any number of reasons.

Actually techno-magic settings are a fav of mine, but it's TECHNO-magic that tends to imply it runs on a number of rules like our own verse and magic is only half the question or quite possibly allot less then half. So while in pure fantasy you might be able to ignore some of these nagging little issues if you commit yourself to a technological approach you then IMO also commit to a higher level of "realism" as it where with concerns to science.
I disagree, the mixing of magic and technology doesn't necessarily limit the potential of either to realism. In fact, not only can adding the magic element can open up areas for technology that were currently limited by impossibility, but the reverse also holds true. Strikers themselves are an example of this symbiotic relationship, vastly increasing the power of the witch, and preforming better then the craft they are based on (at least equal in speed, superior in terms of defense and maneuverability).
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-01, 06:29   Link #1246
selkirk
***y translator
*Scanlator

Two more of the original illustration column images scanlated.

Meh, not really satisfied with Kuroe's (degraining and do I really want that much romaji ), but whatever.
Spoiler for textless versions:

Also, regarding knee joints, at least back in 2006, the leg part of the Striker unit is filled with amplification machinery, and the actual leg gets sent to an alternate dimension.
Old 2008-10-01, 07:04   Link #1247
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by selkirk View Post

Meh, not really satisfied with Kuroe's (degraining and do I really want that much romaji ), but whatever.
Spoiler for textless versions:

Also, regarding knee joints, at least back in 2006, the leg part of the Striker unit is filled with amplification machinery, and the actual leg gets sent to an alternate dimension.
Ooh, thank you. Do you also have a textless version of Wilma? I've been trying to clean it myself, for my desktop and a signature, but those clouds keep giving me trouble. >_<

And the actual leg gets send to an alternate dimension? That's certainly an interesting tidbit to know. Might explain the no-pants bit too, after all while your leg may come back from the Striker, if your pants stay behind in that alternate dimension you'll be running out of pants in no-time.
Old 2008-10-01, 07:22   Link #1248
selkirk
***y translator
*Scanlator

Quote:
Ooh, thank you. Do you also have a textless version of Wilma? I've been trying to clean it myself, for my desktop and a signature, but those clouds keep giving me trouble. >_<

And the actual leg gets send to an alternate dimension? That's certainly an interesting tidbit to know. Might explain the no-pants bit too, after all while your leg may come back from the Striker, if your pants stay behind in that alternate dimension you'll be running out of pants in no-time.
I never bothered removing the box though, so you'd have to get rid of it yourself.

As for the recent game announcement (for DS and PS2), the only thing that's been announced is "Even if (a) new character(s) show up, the one thing that I can promise is that men will not."
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://yamibun.air-nifty.com/blog/2008/09/post-7ea4.html
一つだけお約束できるのは、新キャラがでることがあっても、男は出しません。
Meh, I actually though Itokawa Mamoru was an interesting addition to the cast at first .

EDIT: Also, two more (preliminary) DVD specials - Separate artboxes for the Himegoe CDs and booklets that come with limited editions. Three artboxes <_<;. Not announced which DVDs they'll be packaged with though.
Old 2008-10-01, 08:55   Link #1249
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
I never bothered removing the box though, so you'd have to get rid of it yourself.
Right, well at least it's easier to see what's underneath the box now, so that's a plus. Thanks.

Quote:
As for the recent game announcement (for DS and PS2), the only thing that's been announced is "Even if (a) new character(s) show up, the one thing that I can promise is that men will not."
Meh, I actually though Itokawa Mamoru was an interesting addition to the cast at first .
Looks like the only chance for a male cast is if a female author decides to pick up the pen and write about an all-male unit full of pretty boys.

Quote:
EDIT: Also, two more (preliminary) DVD specials - Separate artboxes for the Himegoe CDs and booklets that come with limited editions. Three artboxes <_<;. Not announced which DVDs they'll be packaged with though.
I wonder if the booklets will end up making the anime drit further away from the rest of the media or closer.
Old 2008-10-01, 11:15   Link #1250
asaqe
Augumented Paranoia

Quote:

Guess men only purpose in SW universe is to be cannon fodder.
Old 2008-10-01, 11:48   Link #1251
DragonBladeX
Kancolle love!

The Strike Witches OST is out and I am loving some of the BGMs in this.

Personal favorites are Strikers no Hishou, Minna wo Mamoru Tameni, Tobe! Shirley, Eikou no Kiroku, Sanya Nouta(Piano Version), Tsukanoma no Yasuragi and Heiwa no Inori.

Pretty much some of the catchy, slow lazy afternoon and emotional stuff
Old 2008-10-01, 13:02   Link #1252
einhorn303

Quote:
Looks like the only chance for a male cast is if a female author decides to pick up the pen and write about an all-male unit full of pretty boys.
If you want pretty boys, watch Hetalia Axis Powers, if you want pretty girls, watch Strike Witches. Really, it's most efficient that way. Keep things specifically targeted to one audience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonBladeX View Post
The Strike Witches OST is out and I am loving some of the BGMs in this.
Me too. I'm just so disappointed that they didn't include the guitar version of "Uicchi no Tatakai," that played in episode 5 when Yeager broke the sound barrier. Probably my favorite song from the show, orz

Also, I always felt that drunkenness was one of Erica's moe traits (sort of like Suika Ibuki and Rika Furude), but while rewatching the series I noticed this:

I guess that proves it. Also, according to some German guy, the German legal drinking age during WWI was 16 (Erica's age).

Last edited by einhorn303; 2009-06-25 at 09:44.
Old 2008-10-01, 13:28   Link #1253
DragonBladeX
Kancolle love!

I guess the bottles are also a shout out to that incident with Hilter's hat. Though she was pretty sober when she committed that 'crime'.

And indeed the metal guitar makes that BGM so much more appealing.
Old 2008-10-01, 13:39   Link #1254
Tk3997
Loveable Jerk

Send a message via ICQ to Tk3997 Send a message via AIM to Tk3997 Send a message via MSN to Tk3997
Quick random reply before I go out.

Quote:

[/spoiler]

Then that calls into question why the things even have holes in them at all they should be able to be just solid blocks… I’d also wonder why when damaged or even blown away (see Sanya it’s also worth noting that IIRC the stocking underneath was damaged as well) the legs don’t disappear with them. Poofing legs to another dimension doesn’t strike me as a process that would helpfully reverse itself on its own if the machine doing it happened to explode…

Quote:
Nope still doesn’t work the again it’s those damn stockings, they still come back fine so try again. Once the stockings appeared any chance at coming up with a rational reason for the lack of pants more less died a painful screaming death as it was hurled from a tenth story window...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonBladeX View Post
I guess the bottles are also a shout out to that incident with Hilter's hat. Though she was pretty sober when she committed that 'crime'.

And indeed the metal guitar makes that BGM so much more appealing.
Guitar riffs makes everything more appealing...

I rest my case.

Old 2008-10-01, 14:18   Link #1255
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Hmm, not all that impressed with the ost. They're good songs, and they're really wonderful on the screen with the series, but as songs none of them really riled me up. Personal favorites are Uicchi no Tatakai and Hiren.

Also, cleaned version of Wilma and the 416th:

It's rather quick and dirty, I know. Good enough for sigs though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by einhorn303 View Post
If you want pretty boys, watch Hetalia Axis Powers, if you want pretty girls, watch Strike Witches. Really, it's most efficient that way. Keep things specifically targeted to one audience.
Who knows, there might be an author who likes putting mechs on boys who picks up the pen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by einhorn303 View Post
Also, I always felt that drunkenness was one of Erica's moe traits (sort of like Suika Ibuki and Rika Furude), but while rewatching the series I noticed this:

Spoiler:

I guess that proves it. Also, according to some German guy, the German legal drinking age during WWI was 16 (Erica's age).
It still is, actually, its distilled beverages that are 18+ in Germany.

Quote:
Quick random reply before I go out.

Then that calls into question why the things even have holes in them at all they should be able to be just solid blocks… I’d also wonder why when damaged or even blown away (see Sanya it’s also worth noting that IIRC the stocking underneath was damaged as well) the legs don’t disappear with them. Poofing legs to another dimension doesn’t strike me as a process that would helpfully reverse itself on its own if the machine doing it happened to explode…
Stability, probably. It also could be that to generate the 'portal' they need room. To take Yoshika's Striker as an example, I'd expect the holes to end where the black ring ends. After that, its solid material and gizmos. In fact, the bared Striker unit in episode 1 seems to support this, as the greater part of the machine that is bared doesn't really allow for much leg, if any. As for the second bit... why not? Since the forcefield that kept the leg in another dimension doesn't exist after the Striker is destroyed, the leg gets pulled back to realspace.

Quote:
Nope still doesn’t work the again it’s those damn stockings, they still come back fine so try again. Once the stockings appeared any chance at coming up with a rational reason for the lack of pants more less died a painful screaming death as it was hurled from a tenth story window...
Possible explanations: stockings are exempt because they're much closer to the skin, and also much thinner, then pants. Basically, because they stick to the skin rather then flap around it, they're brought in with the legs.

Last edited by Keroko; 2008-10-01 at 14:59.
Old 2008-10-01, 15:24   Link #1256
Tk3997
Loveable Jerk

Quote:
Very disappointing he might as well have just said; “I have no interest in having meaningful or interesting interactions or interesting stories about any members of the male species so don’t worry slobbering masses you can keep fantasying about your pantless jailbait non-stop!” God forbid they toss the fangirls or just men with a bit of pride left in them a bone or something.

Not that I'm bitter or anything...

Though this gives me the image of male magic user existing, but being totally passed over by the media too the point no one even knows they do… I sense crack coming on.
Spoiler for No Respect!:

Quote:
Stability, probably. It also could be that to generate the 'portal' they need room. To take Yoshika's Striker as an example, I'd expect the holes to end where the black ring ends. After that, its solid material and gizmos. In fact, the bared Striker unit in episode 1 seems to support this, as the greater part of the machine that is bared doesn't really allow for much leg, if any. As for the second bit... why not? Since the forcefield that kept the leg in another dimension doesn't exist after the Striker is destroyed, the leg gets pulled back to realspace.
Or it could be that like a number other elements of the verse it varies by author... This also still seems to fail to explain why the stocking was damaged it makes perfect sense if the leg was in there and it was stripped away when the unit was damaged. It makes far less if the leg was in some kind of alternate universe until the striker broke and then poof back in undamaged.

Quote:
Possible explanations: stockings are exempt because they're much closer to the skin, and also much thinner, then pants. Basically, because they stick to the skin rather then flap around it, they're brought in with the legs.
Yeah sure whatever, again this get's into the "what's considered tight" stuff. Jeans are pretty tight what about them? How about sweatpants? etc, etc.

Old 2008-10-01, 15:49   Link #1257
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Very disappointing he might as well have just said; “I have no interest in having meaningful or interesting interactions or interesting stories about any members of the male species so don’t worry slobbering masses you can keep fantasying about your pantless jailbait non-stop!” God forbid they toss the fangirls or just men with a bit of pride left in them a bone or something.
Agreed. I like my killer-girls, but a Squadron of cute guys to melt the fangirls is something I would definitely not pass over.

Quote:
Though this gives me the image of male magic user existing, but being totally passed over by the media too the point no one even knows they do… I sense crack coming on.
Quote from the novel:

"Not everyone has the ability to use magic. In fact, because it depends on specific genetic factors, it could be said that not very many people at all can use it. Furthermore, the vast majority of those users are female, and it is an ability that disappears with the passing of adolescence. Because of that, young girls who can use magic are seen as ephemeral seasonal flowers, admired by young boys as idols beyond their reach, and thought of by young girls as the ideal paragon of what they want to be."

"The vast majority" meaning that male magic users, and thus 'wizards' do exist.

Quote:
Spoiler for No Respect!:
That's... probably frighteningly accurate.

Quote:
Or it could be that like a number other elements of the verse it varies by author...
Probably. All post-novel Strikers seem to lack the bendable joints too.

Quote:
This also still seems to fail to explain why the stocking was damaged it makes perfect sense if the leg was in there and it was stripped away when the unit was damaged. It makes far less if the leg was in some kind of alternate universe until the striker broke and then poof back in undamaged.
I could scrounch up some random explanation on how forced returns don't factor in clothing or something... but yeah, other then 'it makes it look more dramatic and sexy' there isn't a good explanation. Perhaps the booklets will shed some light on this subject.

Quote:
Yeah sure whatever, again this get's into the "what's considered tight" stuff. Jeans are pretty tight what about them? How about sweatpants? etc, etc.
*shrug* It was only a theory. I mean, even 'skin contact is required' doesn't explain why the Witches don't just wear shorts (which, in fact, is exactly what Erica and Gertrude did in the OVA) or skirts (which Sanya does).

Last edited by Keroko; 2008-10-01 at 16:08.
Old 2008-10-01, 16:36   Link #1258
asaqe
Augumented Paranoia

Quote:
Who knows, there might be an author who likes putting mechs on boys who picks up the pen.
Well I can do that myself, but needless to say I am an attrocious artist and detest the idea of the "warlock units". Instead I would divert it to a true knight unit. aka something that the witches can use as true effective meat shields rather then sending wastefully hundreds of men just to kill one neuroi

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...rudescan-1.jpg

Another point I like to make is the only I want guys in Strike Witches is mainly to tell the "rape doujin makers" to turn around and walk away, sure it wont prevent them all but having a recognizable male protagonist along with the girls will help make some leeway. Although keep it to 2 or 3. One will make it a harem situation and four will make it a boy band.
Old 2008-10-01, 17:25   Link #1259
einhorn303

Quote:
Perhaps this is just the wrong show for you...

Actually, looking on the Japanese side (where nearly all of the profits are made, sad as we are with our pathetic R1 dvd's and BOST downloads), the advertising seems to play up the "panties" angle quite extensively. After all, the show's slogan (displayed on the main site and many other promotional materials) was "They're not panties, so it's not embarrassing!" Akibablog has a lot of interesting stories on the show:

"Since the Strike Witches Vol. 1 was released, movies of panties are played here and there, and demo of "panties" played at Ishimaru Soft 1 had a message, "the most recommended in our store!""

http://en.akibablog.net/archives/200...6778.html#more

"Toranoana held Strike Witches: Election of "Favorite Ass" and the result was out on the 25th when its DVD Vol.1 was released.

This favorite "butt" election is… customers choose one favorite butt (panties) from 11 butts (panties). It is completely done by Toranoana Main Branch individually (a person in charge is so exciting to do it). In the halfway result, No.1 was Francesca Lucchini in Striped Panties, but after the 12th, Sanya V.Litvyak in Black Tights became No.1."

http://en.akibablog.net/archives/200...6816.html#more

Yes, non-otaku minded people who cry about "dignity" and "decency" simply aren't the target audience of the show. Oh...and trying to come up with a rational, in-world explanation for why they don't wear pants is like trying to apply physics to Gurren Lagann. It's just a fruitless endeavor ^_^"

"Strike Witches Vol. 1 (Limited Edition) was released on the 25th and already disappeared by the 26th from Akiba.

On the release day, the 25th, most stores still had its stocks, but from the morning of the 26th, the DVD started disappearing from stores little by little, and by the night of the 26th, Strike Witches Vol. 1 (Limited Edition) was totally sold out at the whole stores I went to. At Ishimaru Soft 1 & Gamers Main Branch, the section of Strike Witches was already changed to another title. "

http://en.akibablog.net/archives/200...7340.html#more

There always seems to be more and more good news about the DVD's selling well, can't wait till season 2.
Old 2008-10-01, 20:10   Link #1260
asaqe
Augumented Paranoia

Wow, the father of mecha musume made a lifesaver for Gonzo. GJ! something "Mainstream" I can enjoy without Shounen Jump.

Tags
bishoujo, bost tv, gonzo, kemonomimi, mecha, mecha musume