AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-04-13, 20:00   Link #41
brightman
Ancient Member

Why's everyone calling this a GAINAX anime? This is a J.C. Staff anime. GAINAX is merely one of the production partners.
Old 2004-04-13, 20:06   Link #42
SimplyEd
Claytard

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman
Why's everyone calling this a GAINAX anime? This is a J.C. Staff anime. GAINAX is merely one of the production partners.

True. But it's still related to them, even if it's a "jointventure-thingy"^^
SimplyEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-13, 20:43   Link #43
Ori

Send a message via AIM to Ori
O_o Is is just me or is that male lead a girly looking guy? I thought he was a girl until he spoke.

Didn't really impress me at the moment, but I will give this a chance.
Ori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-13, 20:49   Link #44
suires
たこ焼き名人

I am also kind of disappointed with this first episode. I will just give it one episode or two....
suires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-13, 20:51   Link #45
SimplyEd
Claytard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ori
O_o Is is just me or is that male lead a girly looking guy? I thought he was a girl until he spoke.

Didn't really impress me at the moment, but I will give this a chance.

Ahh yes, a case of being bi-shonened^^ Don't sweat, such things happen to the best of us sometimes.
Although i have to say that in this case i could tell that it was a boy...he just lacked a certain something that only female lead characters possess.
SimplyEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-13, 22:07   Link #46
lordlucless

I quite liked this ep. To address some of the stuff other people have objected to:

The monster "exciting" the office girl is just a way of showing its power, and the way its ruled by its passions. The same for the missing kid, except its for the desire for violence and death rather than lust. And I think he took the clothes of simply so they wouldn't get stuck in his teeth.

The "shooting an arrow at the wall" thing was the instructors way of pointing out how useless archery was. Archery as a sport as fine, but you're not going to *do* anything with it. The same way Arts students get laughed at here - what exactly *are* you going to do with that degree in philosophy?

NoSanninWa is right about the minotaur - Asteroth, his name was. He was produced when the queen of Crete coupled with a bull by hiding inside a wooden cow built by Daedalus - the same guy who built wings for his son Icarus and himself, if you recall that legend.

But what's a Meros? Is it a corruption of Muse? Given the musical references in the episode, that would make sense. But Echo (as in "Echo my Meros!") was a sprite who fell in love with Narcissus, not a Muse. Anyone know where that's going?

I really like it when shows incorporate religious/mythological/historical symbols, but it really annoys me when they just toss them in to add spice to the show, and not because they understand the concepts the symbols refer to. I hope this isn't happening here, but I suspect it is

I do like the modern take on the warrior though; the "bike-as-steed", as someone else mentioned, and the idea of a "minstrel-warrior" is interesting too. I like the monster's line: "I'll surely break your strings today". Very cool.

I agree the art seems a bit primitive though; everything except for the chick with glasses' chest seems flat and two-dimensional. And I hope they stop keeping on giving us shots of that. It feels condescending when a show essentially says "I'm sure you're bored now, here's some boobies. Excited now?"

But I'll definately give it another episode or two; it seems a little less cookie-cutter than This Ugly And Beautiful World. But who knows? We'll just have to see.
lordlucless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-13, 22:17   Link #47
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

am I the only find who finds the artwork and character/monster designs not that bad, but worry more about the plot? I actually think the hand-drawn-painting-like background and the people turning into stickman and that bike design and that bus grow into a bull/minotaur look quite nice... It just shows how surreal this "fake world" is... however the concept of "destroying the fake world and memories" with arrows of melody while one screams "echo my meros" riding on a bike... I hope it can really have a GAINAX kind of story instead of the usual sailormoon stuff...
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-13, 23:09   Link #48
LinChoiSin

i really don't know what to think about this show . it's the first time that i really don't know if a character is a guy or a girl ,i had to wait till he spoke to know besides i'm troubled with his name because it reminds me too much of a soccer team(these are just details though).the monster really looked cool but the "cowbus" was one of the ugliest thing i've ever seen though the "bikes" seem to be really ugly too. i wonder why they call a woman the "melody of oblivion" given the fact that a melody is a sound maybe am i missing something or maybe will they give me the answer or maybe not,i shall see.Anyway there were so many things in this first episode that i'll definitely watch the next ones to see how it goes.
LinChoiSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-14, 01:14   Link #49
Melazoma

Send a message via AIM to Melazoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordlucless
The "shooting an arrow at the wall" thing was the instructors way of pointing out how useless archery was. Archery as a sport as fine, but you're not going to *do* anything with it. The same way Arts students get laughed at here - what exactly *are* you going to do with that degree in philosophy?
That is a great analogy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordlucless
But what's a Meros? Is it a corruption of Muse? Given the musical references in the episode, that would make sense. But Echo (as in "Echo my Meros!") was a sprite who fell in love with Narcissus, not a Muse. Anyone know where that's going?
About your question on "Meros," back when I was reading the synoposis on the Official Website in Japanese, I was certain that "Melos" would be the preferred translation, because of the title of this show.

Again... this is language speculation, while I have some confidence in my deduction abilities, I recognize the high probability that I'm wrong.

And as far as "Echo" is concerned, I'm not sure if there is a mythological implication as a noun or a name. The phrase used in the show is "鳴り響け! 僕のメロス! " (Nari hibike! Boku no Melos!) Where "Narihibike!" is translated to "echo!" as a verb. Still, "鳴り響け "--Narihibike still has its significance in instruments, where "Nari" may imply musical-instrument(鳴り物 ) and "Hibike" implies (vitalizing, vibrant) sound.

During research for the above I went back to the episode and found myself caught in the OP sequence... I am simply in love with the violin interludes throughout. Also, am I the only one who loves the Celtic Fife(my guess, or flute?) in the War Against the Monsters prologue? Chills down my spines is exactly what these scores are doing to me
Melazoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-14, 03:12   Link #50
dreamless

personally I doubt the "Echo my Melos" has any mythological meaning. as pointed out by Melazoma, the "Echo" here is not really "Echo" in the original Japanese word.
Old 2004-04-14, 23:21   Link #51
Kaoru27Umi
Jounin

Send a message via AIM to Kaoru27Umi
Well i redirected to this forum,

Is this anime any good, should i download it? what's it about? in your opinion is it worth watching?

thanks ^.^

~~~>
Kaoru27Umi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-15, 00:22   Link #52
Hayamaneko
cat boy?

Send a message via AIM to Hayamaneko
anyone else having problem playing the file correctly? I get picture and sound and such but the vid jumps around a bit. And yes, i have ffshadow or whatever its called installed
Old 2004-04-15, 00:31   Link #53
dreamless

did you uninstall all other codecs before installing ffdshow?
Old 2004-04-15, 01:15   Link #54
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

If anyone is having trouble playing this video please take it to the Playback Help Forum. This is not the place for it.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-15, 01:51   Link #55
Yukina

I did not like Melody of Oblivion one bit
Yukina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-16, 00:04   Link #56
dreamless

episode 2 is much better than episode 1 for me. I was disappointed after watching episode 1, but episode 2 actually gets me interested... also the preview of episode 3 looks REALLY interesting (giant babies walking into a shop?) it seems it's gonna be an intriguing series after all.
Old 2004-04-16, 02:45   Link #57
Melazoma

Send a message via AIM to Melazoma
Raw? I've been anticipating the release^^--along with other new series. There's much I want to see translated... as my Japanese listening sucks I'm of the kind that picks apart translations and make "mental suggestions" when I actually pick up something (about 15% of the dialogue, maybe a bit more); in other words, nothing constructive
Melazoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-19, 22:22   Link #58
Guts

Send a message via AIM to Guts Send a message via Yahoo to Guts
Melody of Oblivion.

Well it's a new one from gainex, if you hav'nt heard about it. I saw first episode yesterday, and was quite impressed. Melody of oblivion was different from what I was expecting, but I dont mean that in a bad way. The plot seems interesting, with a main char whos a bit ecchi ( and looks like a female ). But I can tell, I like his persona already.

The anime from what I got from the first episode, seems to revolve around warriors fighting monsters in the 21st century. Life goes on, school to, but no one believes in monsters or the such. Neither does the main char.
Guts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-19, 22:48   Link #59
TronDD
Team the box!

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=9831

Last edited by xris; 2004-04-20 at 01:54. Reason: Threads merged
TronDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-20, 09:09   Link #60
Lambda

Well, episode 1 was . . . quite wierd. The mix and use of styles in this really is very strange. I haven't quite got a handle on it yet.
Lambda is offline   Reply With Quote