Notices

Old 2011-12-04, 13:55   Link #21
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

must check this out
Old 2011-12-04, 16:08   Link #22
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

This idea of this anime really irks me. I'm open to idol-focused anime at the moment (I plan to watch The Idolm@ster myself), but this anime being an advertisement for a current real life idol group smells like it will be extremely restrictive character-wise and story-wise, much more than K-On and The Idolm@ster could ever be since at least those were based off fictional characters. Here they will have to flatter real idols and make them look good at the expense of character flaws and drama which help drive storytelling. I'm afraid, very afraid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Yeah like I said some people can get into these things really easily, and I'm sure it would be especially easy if you're into the idol scene or just stage performances in general (I'm more of a theater/opera guy myself but have no love for pop-idols), but for those that aren't into that sort of thing and are starting to wonder if this isn't actually the next big thing (cause lately it's kind of looking like it is) I have to ask....what is here for us if indeed the next market being mined after Light Novels is the idol scene? I will also ask, why does something like an idol series even need a big budget or established franchise or even any established thing to back it up? Is it simply not possible anymore to just do an interesting original story about somebody struggling to make it as an idol or coming off the peak of their career or something and to just do it with good old-fashioned character drama and storytelling? Will that just not work at all anymore in your estimation? Does everything need a gimmick or hook to be at the forefront of a production like TV anime producers seem to think they do today?

I refuse to believe that making any given idol show is as challenging as you are making it out to be considering what I've seen from the ones made so far and how easy it looks to play the audience for them by following the cute girls doing cute things formula, and certainly the way you are putting it doesn't sound like much of a creative challenge so much as a manufactured financial one. Basically if we follow that formula, the sole key to TV anime success in the Japanese market can be summed up by paraphrasing from Scarface:

In this country, you gotta get the big names first. Then when you get the big names, you get the cute girls. Then when you get the big names and the cute girls, then you get the fanboys attention, and then when you get the fanboys attention, then you get the money!
As an anime fan who has only recently come into the anime scene (2008), and as a person who enjoys "cute girls doing cute things" anime, I must agree with you that we don't need an already popular franchise to make an idol anime.

Why not make an original anime about fictional idols that follow the story examples you gave? I think it could be done, even in an otaku-dominated market. Make the story dramatic, but keep the characters "cute" by giving them popular endearing qualities that otaku buy into, without sacrificing the story and the humanism.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-04, 23:07   Link #23
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
^ what's the difference between AKB49 and 48?
another idol anime?
AKB48 is a popular Japanese idol group and AKB49 is a manga about said group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
I saw the premise, and I was like, 'Okay, so it's AKB48 cashing in on the anime market. It won't be anything special...'
It's the other way around. AKB48 is more popular than anime, so it's more that they're using the group to push anime sales. And it makes sense too - Satelight has been in a lot of trouble over the last few years, and a hit can get them enough cash to rebuild and to make more original works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
Then I saw Shoji Kawamori, and I was like, 'wuuuuuut?!'
He's a pretty natural choice. Kawamori practically pioneered the anime idol industry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fertygo View Post
I don't have much hope for this one can achieve what Im@s get though, n like I'm saying in other thread, the chara design is very bleh to me. Let hope at least the sakuga n concert is orgasmic, this is Satelight top front anime afterall.
That's if they don't decide to anime the dance moves using 3DCG!

Yeah, the character designs are pretty terrible. Then again, I didn't like the character designs for Idolm@ster either.
Old 2011-12-04, 23:25   Link #24
Shadow5YA

I'll wait until the PV or first episode airs before make any judgments on the story. I've read the AKB49 manga, and that turned out fairly well.

However, the designs do not look very appealing at all.
Shadow5YA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-04, 23:27   Link #25
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

So can someone summarize to me, about what i should know about AKB48? SO if i follow this anime,i won't have to go "wtf are they talking about"

I know that they are an idol group (sing, act, theater performances?) . And having 48 members? I heard that their 48 members changes through the years or something,isn't it?
Old 2011-12-04, 23:33   Link #26
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
So can someone summarize to me, about what i should know about AKB48? SO if i follow this anime,i won't have to go "wtf are they talking about"

I know that they are an idol group (sing, act, theater performances?) . And having 48 members? I heard that their 48 members changes through the years or something,isn't it?
I really doubt that you're going to have to know anything about AKB48 prior to watching the anime. But for the curious, you can either check out Wikipedia or the official AKB48 website.

Quote:
In December 2005, producer Yasushi Akimoto created the idol group "AKB 48". With the concept "Idols you can meet everyday", AKB 48 performs at the exclusive AKB48 Theater in Akihabara almost every day. They have already performed at "the 62th Kouhaku uta gassen" in 2011, and even have their own TV program "AKBINGO!", "Weekly AKB", "Naruhodo Highschool" and so on. As of May 2011 there are 18 members on team A, 18 members on team K and 18 members on team B, 23 members on team Trainee with a total of 61.
Old 2011-12-04, 23:51   Link #27
Ravenblitz
|・ω・`)

Send a message via MSN to Ravenblitz
ohh finally a thread! can't wait for this one Idol animes FTW
Old 2011-12-05, 02:29   Link #28
Pachael
原作通り

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
I did a search and was surprised I couldn't find anything

Shoji Kawamori doing something other than mecha?Interesting.I'd say he's surounded himself well,the last time Hiraike and Okada worded together on something we got Sketchbook full color's (yes I know,I'm the only one who cares about that)
In some ways, it's a natural progression from idol drama that Kawamori has been doing for a while. Cautiously optimistic, and that includes the part of me that likes Sketchbook full color's (you're not the only one).

Was secretly hoping for an AKB fan to open the proceedings; anyhow as long as the staff have sufficient like/love for the franchise it'll be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
Lurk the forums and love his translation work. And his dedication to the idol culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I thought they should animate AKB49 Ren'ai Kinshi Jourei first. The story had plenty of substance.
In its own way, does idol idealism well with some poking at itself/others while maintaining heavy references in and out of the franchise throughout.
EDIT: (Anyhoo, further talk on that shall be directed to official thread - http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=108800)

Last edited by Pachael; 2011-12-06 at 06:43. Reason: The streams are crossing; 49 talk into its thread.
Pachael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-05, 03:59   Link #29
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachael View Post
Was secretly hoping for an AKB fan to open the proceedings; anyhow as long as the staff have sufficient like/love for In its own way, does idol idealism well with some poking at itself/others while maintaining heavy references in and out of the franchise throughout.
I enjoyed reading the manga AKB49 because of the brilliant storytelling premise and the event layout. The only thing I didn't like is that the reading demographic consists of fujoshis.

Nonetheless, this feels like a success riding, over-invested business plan. I think I'll check out on them on EH after Fuyucomi this year.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-05, 04:09   Link #30
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Lately I'm sensing something of a death knell for Kawamori's relevance as a creator.
Oh no it's soapbox time.

Quote:
The guy that gave us Super Dimension Fortress Macross, Macross Plus and The Vision of Escaflowne and worked on many series with broad appeal like Cowboy Bebop, Patlabor and Gundam as a mecha designer or writer has clearly started to make the full transition to the other side of the equation as yet another otaku friendly/pandering director. Basquash and Macross Frontier were where he kind of started morphing (as those were kind of where I noticed his shows coming more with the flavor of an otaku series while hiding behind the mask of something more ambitious) and I clearly saw it coming too and this will all but certainly complete his metamorphosis.
You do know he didn't really have much to do with Basquash apart from creating the concept? If you want to blame people for basquash try Tatsuo Sato, Shin Itagaki and Eiichi Sato instead of blaming Kawamori because it fits this dumb ass agenda you're pushing. Also how is MF now because of Kawamori when before you were blaming Yoshino for those parts of it? Considering Guilty Crown I think we know who to blame for the weaker parts of MF and CG....

Quote:
Shame that lately he's been dragging Yoko Kanno down with him as well since her new music is nothing like the old stuff and now I'm kind of starting to piece together why. Fortunately she should have absolutely nothing to do with this...I hope.
Macross Frontier's score is leaps and bounds better than her prior work in Darker than Black, something which didn't even get a second OST release which is quite telling... It's also hilarious how you keep acting like Frontier was the start of Kanno's downfall when it's the last thing she has actually worked on. Also lol @ you not getting the MF reference to M7 when Ascaloth said Listen to my song, and you have the gall to tell him to learn his Macross?

Quote:
Better keep enjoying this season, cause with what's been announced so far for next year it's looking like all the otaku pandering trends with TV series are only getting that much worse from here on out and that it is just indeed brief resurgence of decent animated fair....possibly the last hurrah.
O'rly? Than why did you just say this in another thread for an anime due next year.

Quote:
Japan really trying their hardest to give me stuff to watch all of a sudden.
Which one is it?

And before you say it, Yes I followed you into this thread even though me and a few others were discussing this show with Thomas Romain in the Symphogear thread.

Last edited by Westlo; 2011-12-05 at 05:12.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-13, 07:57   Link #31
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Ok first of all:

This image makes the anime look more like an Insterstella 5555 type of project than a k-on type of project

Or will it be post apocalyptic cyberpunk anime?

Spoiler for concept art:

More images here: http://www.oricon.co.jp/news/photo/2004668/2/

Also the 9 castmembers have been announced

Mayu Watanabe (AKB48 Team B)
Mao Mita (NMB48 trainee)
Haruka Ishida (AKB48 Team B)
Sumire Satō (AKB48 Team B)
Sawako Hata (SKE48 Team KII)
Sayaka Nakaya (AKB48 Team A)
Kumi Yagami (SKE48 Team S)
Karen Iwata (AKB48 trainee)
Amina Satō (AKB48 Team B)

I know nothing about them so I'll let more knowledgable people comment on the cast.
Old 2011-12-13, 08:12   Link #32
Katapan
俺様祭り

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Also the 9 castmembers have been announced

Mayu Watanabe (AKB48 Team B)
Mao Mita (NMB48 trainee)
Haruka Ishida (AKB48 Team B)
Sumire Satō (AKB48 Team B)
Sawako Hata (SKE48 Team KII)
Sayaka Nakaya (AKB48 Team A)
Kumi Yagami (SKE48 Team S)
Karen Iwata (AKB48 trainee)
Amina Satō (AKB48 Team B)

I know nothing about them so I'll let more knowledgable people comment on the cast.
Honestly even as someone who follows AKB48 news closely, I barely know these names. They're giving the less popular members a chance to get some work, I suppose. Watanabe Mayu (aka Mayuyu) was a given, she's actually a very popular member and known to be a huge anime lover (she often posts about late-night shows on her blog, even claiming certain characters as her waifu - whether she really loves it or does it to gain otaku sympathy is another debate altogether, of course, but it seems fairly genuine to me).
Nakaya Sayaka is the only one in the group with an actual seiyuu background, I believe. Satou Amina is also sort of popular but that's about it, the rest have mostly never been in a senbatsu single.

The images leave me speechless. I thought this would be a cutesy Saturday morning show in spite of the Kawamori involvement...
Old 2011-12-13, 09:15   Link #33
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

There are a few anime series the suddenly pop in my head when I saw the set design: Fractale and iDOLM@STER: Xenoglossia.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-13, 09:24   Link #34
Midonin
Last Engage

More Xenoglossia's okay with me.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-13, 09:57   Link #35
maximilianjenus
[E]

ok, now I got something to look up at for next year.

if this anime does well, will that have any impact at all in new macross?
maximilianjenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-13, 11:16   Link #36
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Synopsis is revealed!

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/inte...story-revealed

Behold! The power of idol music!
Old 2011-12-13, 13:02   Link #37
Kunagisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
There are a few anime series the suddenly pop in my head when I saw the set design: Fractale and iDOLM@STER: Xenoglossia.
Yamakan needs to officially announce his new project already then that will fight this title for the top dog of the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchibi07 View Post
Synopsis is revealed!

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/inte...story-revealed

Behold! The power of idol music!
The responses to the announcement distracted me for a good half an hour with all the laughter they provided. Highly recommend reading that synopsis just for comedy.

Things I want to be in this anime:
Mechs
Mechs that can transform
Aliens as final bosses
Producer-san (or any male lead for maximum troll effect).

Oh man, this is ... wow.

There are also 4 spin off manga coming out of this.

Quote:
漫画連載
テレビアニメーション「AKB0048」を原案とした先行スピンオフが決定しました。
下記、発売号から早くも連載スタート予定です!

「なかよし」2月号(2011年12月28日発売)
「別冊フレンド」2月号(2012年1月13日発売)
「マガジンSPECIAL」No.2(2012年1月20日発売)
「別冊少年マガジン」3月号(2012年2月9日発売)

Last edited by Kunagisa; 2011-12-13 at 13:24.
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-13, 13:18   Link #38
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuopidget View Post
Things I want to be in this anime:
Mechs
Mechs that can transform
Aliens as final bosses
Producer-san (or any male lead for maximum troll effect).

Oh man, this is ... wow.
This is written by Okada,what you just listed is the minimum I'd expect from her,she's going to have a field trip with this premise.
I can't wait

*insert obligatory crossdressing joke here*

Now if only this were a NoitaminA show I'd be able to enjoy the massive amount of rage that would ensue.
Old 2011-12-13, 13:21   Link #39
Midonin
Last Engage

That synopsis sounds like something I would write. I mean this as the highest of compliments.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-13, 13:30   Link #40
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

The synopsis really make me dying... I want some of what they're smoking.

And I must said this again, the chara design is fecking ugly.

Tags
action-adventure, idols, musical anime