AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2005-01-02, 15:12   Link #221
mxg
The Lone Gamer

Send a message via AIM to mxg Send a message via MSN to mxg Send a message via Yahoo to mxg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuiichi
Alright, enough of this.

First of all, if the starter of this thread did a search before posting it, they would have noticed around 2 other threads dedicated to this. One of which, i started myself (search handheld wars if you don't believe me).

This whole thread is people arguing about things that are basicly a matter of opinion. Everyone here can argue till they are blue in the face, and not make a single bit of difference. The Nintendo supporters will remain loyal to Nintendo and the Sony supporters will remain loyal to Sony. It's that simple.

Why can't we all stop arguing and have some nice tea and scones.
Hey i started a Thread about the Ds and it got deleted because ppl were fighting on it so why didnt they delete this one
and yea we should go out for some cookies and coconut water
mxg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-02, 16:01   Link #222
Mavurik

Send a message via AIM to Mavurik Send a message via MSN to Mavurik
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopelessLover
Playstation has serious popularity in the US and europe. If the PSP came out over here, you woudn't be bringing up selling numbers anymore. And I don't get why you people who obviously like the ds and are planning to get one, still argue about the PSP? If you don't like it then don't buy it. Further discussion of it would be just pointless.
I tried to separate fact from opinion. Fact is looking at the business side and long run vs short run. Fact is that the PSP sold out in Japan and that is the only country they've released in so far. Keep in mind that if you factored in the amount of PSPs people have on hold and on waiting lists in Japan and OTHER countries for the JAPAN release, the numbers sold would be quadrupled. And that's only in Japan. Fact is that Sony's PSP is very versatile and comes with more for the money. Almost everything on the PSP that is also on the DS is higher quality. You just have to see for yourself. On the developer side of things, PSP is extremely easy to program for and anybody who knows C++ can start making games and applications that will make the PSP even more versatile. I imagine in a couple months you'll be able to download chat/file-sharing programs, video players, utilities to organize your music or support other formats, etc. Being able to use memory sticks means you can store more (they have memory sticks with 2 gigs). I know if I was a developer I'd be looking at PSP because like I said, DS is good but PSP is just in a whole different league. Nintendo has met their match and finally has some real competition in the handheld market. PSP isn't like wonderswan (a kickass system in its own way). It's a handheld system that is for the first time, better than any handheld system that Nintendo has released hardware and software-wise. They have the developers, they have the games, they have the hardware and quality, they have the strategy, and now they're going to have the market. :fingers: It's just time to face it.

Am I the only one that has noticed Sony's tactic? Sony releases their systems with barely enough units to satisfy the masses. I think they under-release on purpose. Then you get people buying a PSP for $1200 and even if they have less sales, they're making well over 300% profit for a lot of their units. These are the units that have the glitches or whatever. It's almost like a testing phase. They can see what problems come out and then fix them before they send the new batch. That's pretty smart and courteous if you ask me. That way they don't waste their time making millions of units with glitches. Then they release the new units without the glitches at an even lower price, opening their market even more and selling at a pretty constant and steady rate.

Nintendo releases their system and they have enough to go around, but they don't make the same amount of profit. If their systems have any glitches, well, they sold about a million systems with glitches. There goes a lot of money lost on returns and a lot of pissed off customers who will probably switch to Sony.

I think Sony has the better strategy if you ask me. I'll come back here in a year or so just to post an "I told you so" when Sony starts to gain control of the handheld market.

Edit: A user account about battery life.

Quote:
On sunday, after four hours of waiting for the stores to open, I managed to score PSP from Bic Camera in Ginza. I bought one as a Christmas present for my little brother but I gave it 'an intense period of playtesting' before I sent it off yesterday day.

I have played Mingol aka Mina no Golf(Everybody's Golf), Ridge Racer(Ridge Racer), Armour command (3rd Person Mech warrior strategy thing) and Vampire chronicles (Gothic themed Street fighter clone). I liked everything except Armour command..........as I don't read Kanji so well and configuring your mechs is a little complex.

I did have a problem with a faulty UMD but it was eay enough to change. Don't believe the 'neigh sayers' talking smack about the battery life. I got a good seven hours out of the PSP playing Mingol......and believe me the sultry wench still had much more energy to spare -- sadly didn't as I had work in the morning .

In my opinion Sony have done an excellent job with PSP so anyone waiting for one via import don't panic! When you get your paws on the beast you will realise instantly its worth the coin you paid for it.
Oh yes, I forgot to mention they're also going to release an add-on for PSP that will allow you to watch tv. Hah, I'm so getting one.

Sony PS2 is the oldest system out in the current competitive console market (gamecube, ps2, xbox) but it's outselling every other system (including gamecube, :P). Sony knows what they're doing.

Last edited by Mavurik; 2005-01-02 at 16:39.
Mavurik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-02, 16:41   Link #223
HopelessLover

@Mavurik: That's why most of the Nintendo fanboys here are getting insanely mad. They just don't want to see nintendo lose another gaming competition to sony. And if blood boils, theirs would be steaming right now.
HopelessLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-02, 16:55   Link #224
Yuiichi
Retired.

@Mavurik: Very nice breakdown of the PSP situation. I applaud you, you used facts and not flames to give your opinion on which handheld is better.

I must give my opinion too. I am one of the biggest Sony fanboys out there. I drool over anything Sony, and am willing to pay a tad more for Sony quality. If i was to be getting a new handheld, i would be getting a PSP.

I'm not going to say anything else regarding either unit, as in arguing about battery life, or glitches or anything. I don't want to offend anyone.
Yuiichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-02, 17:01   Link #225
mxg
The Lone Gamer

Send a message via AIM to mxg Send a message via MSN to mxg Send a message via Yahoo to mxg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavurik
I tried to separate fact from opinion. Fact is looking at the business side and long run vs short run. Fact is that the PSP sold out in Japan and that is the only country they've released in so far. Keep in mind that if you factored in the amount of PSPs people have on hold and on waiting lists in Japan and OTHER countries for the JAPAN release, the numbers sold would be quadrupled. And that's only in Japan. Fact is that Sony's PSP is very versatile and comes with more for the money. Almost everything on the PSP that is also on the DS is higher quality. You just have to see for yourself. On the developer side of things, PSP is extremely easy to program for and anybody who knows C++ can start making games and applications that will make the PSP even more versatile. I imagine in a couple months you'll be able to download chat/file-sharing programs, video players, utilities to organize your music or support other formats, etc. Being able to use memory sticks means you can store more (they have memory sticks with 2 gigs). I know if I was a developer I'd be looking at PSP because like I said, DS is good but PSP is just in a whole different league. Nintendo has met their match and finally has some real competition in the handheld market. PSP isn't like wonderswan (a kickass system in its own way). It's a handheld system that is for the first time, better than any handheld system that Nintendo has released hardware and software-wise. They have the developers, they have the games, they have the hardware and quality, they have the strategy, and now they're going to have the market. :fingers: It's just time to face it.

Am I the only one that has noticed Sony's tactic? Sony releases their systems with barely enough units to satisfy the masses. I think they under-release on purpose. Then you get people buying a PSP for $1200 and even if they have less sales, they're making well over 300% profit for a lot of their units. These are the units that have the glitches or whatever. It's almost like a testing phase. They can see what problems come out and then fix them before they send the new batch. That's pretty smart and courteous if you ask me. That way they don't waste their time making millions of units with glitches. Then they release the new units without the glitches at an even lower price, opening their market even more and selling at a pretty constant and steady rate.

Nintendo releases their system and they have enough to go around, but they don't make the same amount of profit. If their systems have any glitches, well, they sold about a million systems with glitches. There goes a lot of money lost on returns and a lot of pissed off customers who will probably switch to Sony.

I think Sony has the better strategy if you ask me. I'll come back here in a year or so just to post an "I told you so" when Sony starts to gain control of the handheld market.

Edit: A user account about battery life.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention they're also going to release an add-on for PSP that will allow you to watch tv. Hah, I'm so getting one.

Sony PS2 is the oldest system out in the current competitive console market (gamecube, ps2, xbox) but it's outselling every other system (including gamecube, :P). Sony knows what they're doing.
GUAHAHAH well put well put indeed
now prepare to be flamed by the fan boys *takes cover*
Old 2005-01-02, 17:20   Link #226
Superchop
Lord Sesshoumaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356
Actually the battery life of the original gameboy, the big bulky one with the yellow screen, wasn't much better and it still used 4 batteries. I remember brand new batteries always going dead before I could finish cosmotank, at somewhere between 3.5 and 4 hours.
Really? it only lasted that long?

I remember playing pokemon blue on my old clunker and putting in 20hrs before the batteries died...(4 AA)

but then again...i used duracell.."nothing outlasts the copper top"
Superchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-02, 17:24   Link #227
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superchop
Really? it only lasted that long?

I remember playing pokemon blue on my old clunker and putting in 20hrs before the batteries died...(4 AA)
Maybe mine was just defective... I thought it strange that they'd make a game that couldn't be beaten as the batteries would go dead first.
Old 2005-01-02, 17:44   Link #228
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
Fact is that the PSP sold out in Japan and that is the only country they've released in so far. Keep in mind that if you factored in the amount of PSPs people have on hold and on waiting lists in Japan and OTHER countries for the JAPAN release, the numbers sold would be quadrupled.
Of course, that's why it did not sell out on the first day. :P
Quote:
Am I the only one that has noticed Sony's tactic? Sony releases their systems with barely enough units to satisfy the masses. I think they under-release on purpose. Then you get people buying a PSP for $1200 and even if they have less sales, they're making well over 300% profit for a lot of their units.
You are mistaken. Sony makes huge losses selling their systems at the moment, and that's why it shipped less units, just in case something would go wrong, they wouldn't have lost as much.

As for the huge prices, those are only if you import, and the normal price has already been paid to the JP store by then. The price is high because there are not many available.
Quote:
They can see what problems come out and then fix them before they send the new batch. That's pretty smart and courteous if you ask me. That way they don't waste their time making millions of units with glitches. Then they release the new units without the glitches at an even lower price, opening their market even more and selling at a pretty constant and steady rate.
Smart, maybe. But courteous?
They could have done better manufacturing and better design to avoid such faults as "UMD shurikens". That doesn't give a good first impression. Additionally, Sony doesn't replace the faulty systems, leaving their customers in the cold with a faulty device.
Quote:
Nintendo makes profit with every DS sold, unlike Sony who loses money on every PSP sold.
If your DS is faulty, Nintendo will take it back and provide you with another one, and even give an extra game for your trouble. Now that's customer service!
Quote:
It's a handheld system that is for the first time, better than any handheld system that Nintendo has released hardware and software-wise.
Really. If it's really better hardware-wise, could you explain to me why there are so many faulty devices?
And software-wise, the two handhelds are even at the moment.
You seem to be too caught up in your enthusiasm.
Quote:
Don't believe the 'neigh sayers' talking smack about the battery life. I got a good seven hours out of the PSP playing Mingol......and believe me the sultry wench still had much more energy to spare -- sadly didn't as I had work in the morning .
That's nice that he is playing a game that doesn't exist according to GameSpot's database.
If it's a puzzle game, we know it lasts for 6 hours. Try a game that is a bit more demanding, and the battery will suffer.
Quote:
@Mavurik: Very nice breakdown of the PSP situation. I applaud you, you used facts and not flames to give your opinion on which handheld is better.

I must give my opinion too. I am one of the biggest Sony fanboys out there. I drool over anything Sony, and am willing to pay a tad more for Sony quality. If i was to be getting a new handheld, i would be getting a PSP.
Since you are a Sony fanboy, you can do nothing else but agree with him. I can see right through you.

As for someone saying that all the developers go to Sony, that's not true.
http://www.gamespot.com/ds/action/eg...s_6098199.html
Benoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-02, 17:46   Link #229
Superchop
Lord Sesshoumaru

Quote:
Maybe it's just me...but shouldn't major glitches/defects be fixed by their quality control area? and not through the actual consumer giving them the money?
Superchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-02, 18:16   Link #230
Yuiichi
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit
Since you are a Sony fanboy, you can do nothing else but agree with him. I can see right through you.
If he said anything that i disagreed with, i would have made it know. Just because we like the same products doesn't mean we always have to agree. Thats a common misconception. I did think that he made a very nice fact filled expose (can't do the accent) of the current PSP situation, and i was applauding him for his good efforts in this.
Old 2005-01-02, 18:33   Link #231
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

But that's exactly my point. You wouldn't disagree with him if it made your system look better.
You even disregarded the obvious flaws in his post, which I pointed out.
Old 2005-01-02, 20:40   Link #232
Phantom Blade

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopelessLover
Playstation has serious popularity in the US and europe. If the PSP came out over here, you woudn't be bringing up selling numbers anymore. And I don't get why you people who obviously like the ds and are planning to get one, still argue about the PSP? If you don't like it then don't buy it. Further discussion of it would be just pointless.
uhm... u should go and look carefully.

i was responding to the post that said "PSP sold more since it only sold in Japan and sold so much!"
i gave him numbers showing how much DS sold in japan alone. PLEASE read before u post.

Quote:

I'm not going to say anything else regarding either unit, as in arguing about battery life, or glitches or anything. I don't want to offend anyone.
Now u admit it. mr. so called "i dont care for either"

Quote:
correct me if im wrong... but arent u supposed to make sure there are no glitches BEFORE u sell the product? having dead pixels on some of the units is expected, but having ur UMD disc fly out isnt. That shouldve been fixed.

EDIT: looks like i missed Superchop's post on this.
Phantom Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-02, 20:53   Link #233
mxg
The Lone Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Blade
uhm... u should go and look carefully.

i was responding to the post that said "PSP sold more since it only sold in Japan and sold so much!"
i gave him numbers showing how much DS sold in japan alone. PLEASE read before u post.

Now u admit it. mr. so called "i dont care for either"

correct me if im wrong... but arent u supposed to make sure there are no glitches BEFORE u sell the product? having dead pixels on some of the units is expected, but having ur UMD disc fly out isnt. That shouldve been fixed.

EDIT: looks like i missed Superchop's post on this.
Lets Just Start A freakin Poll why do u fight so feeblishly a poll would be much better then we can fight with some meaning
Old 2005-01-02, 22:33   Link #234
joby2too

I have DS and it is definitely the best between the two. The graphics are amazing and Super Mario 64 DS just rules. The touch screen really makes the game fun.
joby2too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-02, 22:47   Link #235
Chronissz

Quote:
Originally Posted by joby2too
I have DS and it is definitely the best between the two. The graphics are amazing and Super Mario 64 DS just rules. The touch screen really makes the game fun.
I plan on buying both eventually, I just bought the DS but have yet to receive it, but I give props to Nintendo for trying something new. Everyone always argues that videogames today are to bland and similar, well, Nintendo has taken a step to break out of the mold and add something unique to the market, and I have alot of respect for them because of that.

Its not groundbreaking, all of this technology has been around for awhile now, but its the first time that it has been mass marketed towards the consumer in a pure entertainment form. Its a risk, and as I said I have respect for any company that is willing to take a risk, because risks are what shape the future, and this is a small step towards that goal.

Now I just need to save up the money to buy a PSP when it is eventually released, that sucker is going for like $400 bucks on ebay right now, its pretty crazy what people are willing to pay just to get it a little early, especially considering its lackluster launch titles. (mind you DS's launch titles are not any better)
Chronissz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-02, 23:03   Link #236
Mavurik

Send a message via AIM to Mavurik Send a message via MSN to Mavurik
Let's break it down shall we.

Quote:
Of course, that's why it did not sell out on the first day. :P
Actually, I remember reading that it sold out within the first few hours. I'm not sure what news you read but I've seen a lot of sites saying it was sold out on the release day. If they had enough systems to meet the demand, then they would have clearly sold much more.

Quote:
You are mistaken. Sony makes huge losses selling their systems at the moment, and that's why it shipped less units, just in case something would go wrong, they wouldn't have lost as much.
I really doubt the fact that if PSP didn't do that well on its release (which I think they prepared for way ahead of time) that Sony would just scrap the whole project. Not with all the developers and companies they'd piss off. They'd still go through with it, but change their strategy. Sony is technically making a profit, but compared to what they put in they're probably not making a profit now. But it hasn't even been released worldwide so they haven't even really completed the first phase of their plans. It's only been out for a few months and only in Japan.

Quote:
As for the huge prices, those are only if you import, and the normal price has already been paid to the JP store by then. The price is high because there are not many available.
Ok, well either way there's still people willing to pay that price, glitches or not. I doubt there's anyone out there that would pay $1200 just to have a DS in their possession. Yea, exactly.

Quote:
Smart, maybe. But courteous? They could have done better manufacturing and better design to avoid such faults as "UMD shurikens". That doesn't give a good first impression. Additionally, Sony doesn't replace the faulty systems, leaving their customers in the cold with a faulty device.
I haven't read much about the UMD problem, but in that quote above in my last post the guy said they were pretty easy to fix on your own. As for the dead pixels, I agree that they're annoying but that doesn't all of the sudden reduce PSP to a lesser system than DS. It's still capable of MUCH more. DS has two screens, yes, but it's really not that big of a deal. In some games (like that metroid game) it's actually detrimental. It's also kind of annoying to have something drop from the top screen and go to the bottom. I'd rather have one high quality PSP screen than those mediocre DS ones. As for the dead pixel issue, 5 dead pixels in a high resolution screen that displays millions of pixels is annoying, yes (if you can notice it), but nothing compared to dead pixels on a DS screen. I would be pissed if I bought something and it had glitches, but that's exactly why I don't buy a system when it's first released. It's called common sense.

We live in the age of the internet and if you can't go online, and make an informed decision on your own and you just have to have the first systems that come out knowing that they're going to have problems then that's YOUR problem. I'm sorry, but I'm not going to buy a system at release because I have something called COMMON SENSE. It should be expected that there will be glitches in the first release. Yes, they try to make sure there are no problems before they release it but sometimes there are things that just happen. Or there are some glitches they won't find out until the system is out there.

Say they did release 1 million PSPS and a lot of them had glitches. If they did bad, yes, they'd lose more money, but they'd also lose a lot of fans as well. They would lose even more money if they then turned around and gave everyone a new system and a PSP game (which is obviously worth more than the games I've seen on DS so far). I think Sony's strategies are better and that they know what they're doing, that's why they outsold the last two Nintendo home consoles. That's not a fact you can just discard because these are handheld systems. To tell you the truth, Nintendo has been relying on it's handhelds for how many years now? It's been a long time, pretty much ever since PSX beat the tar out of N64. Looks like they'll get the tar beat out of them again when PS3 comes out. With the DS they're standing on their last leg and you know what, for the first time they have REAL competition. I think Nintendo fans are just unwilling to accept that fact. Or they try to come up with things to make themselves feel better about their DS purchase.

I actually like GBA more than I like DS, because DS just reminds me of the halfassed effort Nintendo put into Virtual Boy. Then they go off and try to say that the DS is a different line so that it's not associated with GBA. Hah, please.

Quote:
Nintendo makes profit with every DS sold, unlike Sony who loses money on every PSP sold. If your DS is faulty, Nintendo will take it back and provide you with another one, and even give an extra game for your trouble. Now that's customer service!
So according to your logic, it's ok for a Nintendo handheld to have glitches but Sony should make sure there are absolutely no glitches whatsoever when they release their handheld? Hypocrite. Yea, and what extra game are we talking about? Probably something that I could care less about playing. Probably something that they're not selling very well, but I'm just making a wild guess. You actually think Nintendo is making a profit by having to replace the faulty systems and giving away games? That costs money too.

Quote:
Really. If it's really better hardware-wise, could you explain to me why there are so many faulty devices?And software-wise, the two handhelds are even at the moment.You seem to be too caught up in your enthusiasm.
I know you didn't say that. Of course you knew when I said it's better hardware wise I was talking about what the PSP is capable of. PSP is much more advanced in both departments. You have the internet, do the research yourself.

DS is like a portable N64, and PSP is like a portable PS2. If N64 and PS2 were to go head to head, you'd have a look at what it's going to be like between DS and PSP in the future.

Quote:
That's nice that he is playing a game that doesn't exist according to GameSpot's database.
Well, now we know your sources. These are the same people that gave the new Mega Man X game a bad review because it was "too hard" for them. They're ridiculuos.

Quote:
If it's a puzzle game, we know it lasts for 6 hours. Try a game that is a bit more demanding, and the battery will suffer.
Yea, but it will still last at least 4 hours or so. Even so, all I have to say is find a socket and use it. When I'm playing a handheld, I don't even play for 4 hours in a row so I'm safe. If it's too hard for you to recharge your battery or you're going to always coincidentally not be by a plug, then you can miss out while all your friends talk about how great the PSP is.

Quote:
As for someone saying that all the developers go to Sony, that's not true.
http://www.gamespot.com/ds/action/eg...s_6098199.html
Ok, I meant all the good developers that make the best-selling games.

BUT

Now it's not just games, it's movies as well. FFAV, Naruto and other animes, J-Dramas, etc. will come out on PSP and you can be damn sure they're going to sell like crazy. I'll say it again. Sony knows what they're doing.
Mavurik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-03, 00:34   Link #237
JubeiYamazaki

Send a message via AIM to JubeiYamazaki
Quote:
Ok, well either way there's still people willing to pay that price, glitches or not. I doubt there's anyone out there that would pay $1200 just to have a DS in their possession. Yea, exactly.
Actually, people paid almost paying 150 bucks for an imported Street Fighter 2, knowing (keyword here is knowing) that it was coming to the states a month later, yeah there are plenty of people that would pay that much just to have a DS or PSP or whatever.

Quote:
Yea, and what extra game are we talking about? Probably something that I could care less about playing.
Seriously, if they gave me a free game, I wouldn't give a shit if its something I'd want to play, I'd sell it on ebay or whatever, point is Nintendo is going out of their way to compensate their customers, that already makes Nintendo > Sony in customer care department. A free game is a free game no matter how you look at it, and that's awsome service.

Quote:
DS is like a portable N64, and PSP is like a portable PS2. If N64 and PS2 were to go head to head, you'd have a look at what it's going to be like between DS and PSP in the future.
That's no guarantee at all for the outcome, since this is totally different, one of the reasons why PSX/PS2 beat out N64/GameCube was because PSX/PS2 launched a year earlier, much like Nintendo did with the DS now, they realized hitting the market sooner, is a huge advantage since you're basically seeding the community of gamers, so already your senario of a repeat of the past console wars spilling into the handheld is out the window. Not only that, Nintendo was heavily critized for their backwards thinking with N64 that threw a lot of developers off, and made them a hit or miss company with consoles, but with handhelds they've been a solid company with a far longer reputation. Nintendo is actually trying to add a new dimenson of gameplay without it being stupid for once. Which is why a lot of 3rd party companies are looking at the DS. Atleast Nintendo giving the industry a new style of gameplay, it might be the enema that the industry needs right now. Like you said a PSP is a mini-PS2. At somepoint Sony's one-trick pony ain't gonna cut it.

Quote:
Now you're just sandbagging, you said all, and obiviously its not going that way, only time will tell though.

Quote:
Now it's not just games, it's movies as well. FFAV, Naruto and other animes, J-Dramas, etc. will come out on PSP and you can be damn sure they're going to sell like crazy. I'll say it again. Sony knows what they're doing.
You do realize, that film companies have to actually go forward with the production of those UMDs? Its not like its a guarantee'd huge liberary of titles. Sure whatever Sony has under their belt is going to hit the PSP but for Universal, Paramount, ADV etc. etc. they need to go out and do it themselves. If the PSP doesn't do well or atleast average, you probably won't see a huge market of those. Also you keep saying the DS is halfed ass, what exactly is so halfed-ass and "rushed" about the DS? I mean the PS2 wasn't suppose to have a DVD player until the last week or two before production and they threw one in, that's why on release day in Japan, PS2 had a grip of problems, and we Americans got an "upgraded" verison of the PS2 for our release.
JubeiYamazaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-03, 11:24   Link #238
Yuiichi
Retired.

Quote:
But that's exactly my point. You wouldn't disagree with him if it made your system look better.
You even disregarded the obvious flaws in his post, which I pointed out.
The thing is, it's not my system. I stated that i would not be getting either of the new portables, and therefore am neutral in this war. I won't be supporting either Sony or Nintendo.

And to whoever gave me the negative rep: This WHOLE discussion is based on opinion. You can't say whether the PSP or DS is better due to facts. They each have their own special qualities. It's like comparing apples to oranges. The PSP is a total entertainment suite, where as the DS is just a portable gaming machine. Totally different league.
Old 2005-01-03, 13:41   Link #239
HopelessLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by joby2too

ROFL WAFFLES!!!!!!! How can you say it's the best between the 2 when PSP hasn't even come out any where else beside japan. Infact, how can you say anything if you don't own or tried the PSP?

Edit: JubeiYamazaki: Your logic that sony did well and beat the gamecube/n64 with the psx/PS2 becuase sony brought out their system a year earlier makes no sense becuase the dreamcast came way before both those systems and look what happen to that.
HopelessLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-03, 14:22   Link #240
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
There are all kinds of people in this world. If the DS would have been released in a limited number only in Japan, you can bet that there would be people paying as much to get a rare unit in their hands.
Quote:
I really doubt the fact that if PSP didn't do that well on its release (which I think they prepared for way ahead of time) that Sony would just scrap the whole project. Not with all the developers and companies they'd piss off.
Notice that I never said that they would scrap the project altogether in my post.
Quote:
Actually, I remember reading that it sold out within the first few hours. I'm not sure what news you read but I've seen a lot of sites saying it was sold out on the release day. If they had enough systems to meet the demand, then they would have clearly sold much more.
Some other newssites and actual Japanese people have reported otherwise.
Quote:
I haven't read much about the UMD problem, but in that quote above in my last post the guy said they were pretty easy to fix on your own.
You quote talked about a defective disc, not the "UMD shuriken" problem, which causes to UMD to shoot out of the PSP. This has been tested by several people on various PSPs, and they all did it.
Quote:
As for the dead pixels, I agree that they're annoying but that doesn't all of the sudden reduce PSP to a lesser system than DS.
I agree, because dead pixels happen in LCD screens. However, that doesn't explain the other faults in the system.
Quote:
DS has two screens, yes, but it's really not that big of a deal. In some games (like that metroid game) it's actually detrimental. It's also kind of annoying to have something drop from the top screen and go to the bottom. I'd rather have one high quality PSP screen than those mediocre DS ones.
This is all opinion and has nothing to do with this case.
Quote:
They would lose even more money if they then turned around and gave everyone a new system and a PSP game (which is obviously worth more than the games I've seen on DS so far).
As it is now, Sony not replacing the faulty systems gives them bad rep. Keeping your rep. up is far more important than your losses, especially since Sony does have the money to have an effective campaign like Nintendo has.
Quote:
I think Sony's strategies are better and that they know what they're doing, that's why they outsold the last two Nintendo home consoles.
Sony's strategy has nothing to do with it. Nintendo made faults, of which Sony benefitted a lot. The N64 having cartridges instead of discs dug its grave.
Quote:
With the DS they're standing on their last leg and you know what, for the first time they have REAL competition. I think Nintendo fans are just unwilling to accept that fact. Or they try to come up with things to make themselves feel better about their DS purchase.
Just because this time they have real competition doesn't make them beaten by default. Nintendo still has the better strategy because of its pre-order campaign, and its great customer service, replacing faulty units. I still have to see Sony making such moves.
Quote:
So according to your logic, it's ok for a Nintendo handheld to have glitches but Sony should make sure there are absolutely no glitches whatsoever when they release their handheld? Hypocrite.
You're putting words in my mouth. Of course it's not right for a Nintendo handheld to have glitches. However, dead pixels are to be expected, and that's the only fault found in the DS so far.
Quote:
Yea, and what extra game are we talking about? Probably something that I could care less about playing. Probably something that they're not selling very well, but I'm just making a wild guess.
Ignorance. It's a game of your choice.
Quote:
You actually think Nintendo is making a profit by having to replace the faulty systems and giving away games? That costs money too.
Putting words in my mouth again. Of course it doesn't make them profit, but the customer is happy, and will tell their friends. As I said above, rep. is very important.
Quote:
DS is like a portable N64, and PSP is like a portable PS2.
You're just basing your judgment on graphics. The DS is more than a portable N64. It has two screens and has a touchscreen. Innovating. Something I haven't seen Sony doing, it just copies.
Quote:
Well, now we know your sources. These are the same people that gave the new Mega Man X game a bad review because it was "too hard" for them. They're ridiculuos.
It's nice that you base your view of the site on just one individual, while it consists of many people.
Quote:
Yea, but it will still last at least 4 hours or so. Even so, all I have to say is find a socket and use it. When I'm playing a handheld, I don't even play for 4 hours in a row so I'm safe. If it's too hard for you to recharge your battery or you're going to always coincidentally not be by a plug, then you can miss out while all your friends talk about how great the PSP is.
Have you thought about the fact that the PSP is a handheld? PSP stands for PlayStation Portable. I shouldn't have to worry about a socket for a fair amount of time. Read my little essay on battery life.
Quote:
I find that a rather poor move. There are DVD player to play movies on. Now I have to buy the movie again for the PSP if I want to see it.
Quote:
That's a rather subjective statement.