AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Steins;Gate

Notices

View Poll Results: Steins;Gate - Episode 22 Rating
Perfect 10 146 81.11%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 27 15.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 3 1.67%
7 out of 10 : Good 2 1.11%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.56%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.56%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-08-30, 17:10   Link #41
DorkingtonPugsly

From the part where Kurisu stop Okabe from time leaping again, until the ending credits, I was non-stop crying my eyes out. On top of being an emotional person ( I get easily saddened or moved) I've watched this show from the day it aired until now so all the feelings and everything that built up was enormous. I care for these characters so much now that this episode just tore me apart emotionally.
I've recommended this show to all my friends who watch a little or a good amount of anime, yet they've refused to watch it. I kept telling them there missing out on pure awesomeness but now with this episode out... they really are missing out.
The VA was outstanding, and it was probably Okabe's trembling voice that made me cry too.
And the ending bit? I can't wait for the last two episodes.
I seriously love this series!
Old 2011-08-30, 17:30   Link #42
8thSin
*Fansubber

I seriously shed manly tears in this episode. In fact, this could've easily been the series finale (with false hope for sequel~) episode.

I hate how CR(?) subs completely ruined the atmosphere of the most crucial scene for me though, because I spotted a serious translation error

The curse of being a fansubber
Old 2011-08-30, 17:34   Link #43
Saturn Beaver
Home of Silent Prayer

Send a message via MSN to Saturn Beaver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Remember that since they -changed- the world line, Suzuha does not have to return in 1975 in the Beta World Line (that timeline where Kurisu dies), since in that timeline, there isn't even any need of a IBN5100.
The IBN5100 was only a requirement for the Future Gadget Lab to switch from Alpha to Beta world line. Once they changed the world line, they do not need it anymore, and the said timeline doesn't reflect such need either.

Remember that for some reason, the story doesn't use Alpha and Beta meaning as they usually are: the original time line is the [Beta] one (Kurisu dies in that timeline), while the timeline we had from Episode 1 up to now is the [Alpha] one (Mayuri dies in that timeline).

No that isn't another timeline. Remember that we never saw anything past the first day and so the first D-mail for the Beta world line. If Okabe didn't get caught by SERN with the first D-mail or didn't use it, things would have turned the same way.
Ahhh...okay, so IBN5100 wasn't needed for Daru to hack into SERN in order to remove the data? All it does is to change from Alpha (where Mayuri died) to Beta (where Kurisu died). Now, Suzuha's motivation, in addition to meeting her dad, is to secure the IBN5100 to be used for this right? So that her future won't be a dystopia (Alpha) but instead Beta.

In other words - the fate of the story is to initially have an Beta timeline, which will definitely be changed due to Okabe (which both Suzuha and SERN already knows?) into the Alpha timeline where SERN rules. Suzuha's plan was to secure the IBN in order not to make sure that the timeline stays Beta, but to make sure that Okabe can change things back to Beta.

And the Beta timeline is the WW3 timeline...but does this mean that Kurisu is still fated to die after all? I don't want that...I'm still pretty confused, I think I eed to get some sleep first and sort things out again tomorrow, maybe see some older episodes to check things again as well.
Old 2011-08-30, 17:47   Link #44
nines
I much prefer the 2d

Who knew an anime could cause this emotion. I have seen a ton of sad love animes and this one left the biggest effect on me.

Makise Kurisu......or Mayuri........
Old 2011-08-30, 17:47   Link #45
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Beaver View Post
Ahhh...okay, so IBN5100 wasn't needed for Daru to hack into SERN in order to remove the data? All it does is to change from Alpha (where Mayuri died) to Beta (where Kurisu died). Now, Suzuha's motivation, in addition to meeting her dad, is to secure the IBN5100 to be used for this right? So that her future won't be a dystopia (Alpha) but instead Beta.
No at all, they need to hack in there, otherwise, the world line would have changed the second Okabe gets his hands on the IBN5100.
Indeed, they need that old PC in order to decrypt SERN's special data where the information regarding the first D-mail was stored.
However, remember that their world line changed, therefore the actions done in the Alpha world are -not- needed in the Beta world (similar how the D mails were canceled: Okabe couldn't stop the original Dmail to be sent, so he has to cancel them instead).

In the Beta world line, the data about the D-mail is -already- erased, but the world has to change itself in order to reflect such change (as in: no data, no way for them to complete their own machine => no dystopia => Suzuha not having a half assed machine => no crash on the building => no interruption for the conference => Kurisu dies => loop is completed).
Quote:
In other words - the fate of the story is to initially have an Beta timeline, which will definitely be changed due to Okabe (which both Suzuha and SERN already knows?) into the Alpha timeline where SERN rules. Suzuha's plan was to secure the IBN in order not to make sure that the timeline stays Beta, but to make sure that Okabe can change things back to Beta.
Correct.
Quote:
And the Beta timeline is the WW3 timeline...but does this mean that Kurisu is still fated to die after all? I don't want that...I'm still pretty confused, I think I eed to get some sleep first and sort things out again tomorrow, maybe see some older episodes to check things again as well.
The problem is whether or not Kurisu's fate is stuck by an Attractor Field like it was the case for Mayuri.
Old 2011-08-30, 17:52   Link #46
User165949
Disabled By Request

and with this, extremely well written (dialogues in particular) and well acted,
s;g manages to pull off one of the single best episode in a (long, several seasons maybe?) while.

the beginning has been quite "foggy", possibly letting some viewers away, but boy, this series is seriously good.

some of us could start to think it's definitly the best of the two seasons, overall.

I live in a country where it's not directly available, and I sincerely hope to be able to see it either broadcasted or available in blu ray (possibly, not at an impossible price).
Old 2011-08-30, 17:53   Link #47
DorkingtonPugsly

Quote:
The problem is whether or not Kurisu's fate is stuck by an Attractor Field like it was the case for Mayuri.
So if Kurisu's fate is not stuck by an attractor field, she can still be saved in the Beta world line? Somehow?
Old 2011-08-30, 17:54   Link #48
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thSin View Post
I hate how CR(?) subs completely ruined the atmosphere of the most crucial scene for me though, because I spotted a serious translation error

The curse of being a fansubber
What scene, and what was wrong with it?
Old 2011-08-30, 17:57   Link #49
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmaKarma View Post
So if Kurisu's fate is not stuck by an attractor field, she can still be saved in the Beta world line? Somehow?
That's how the series portrayed major events that are always occuring despite butterfly effects etc: the fact Mayuri dies in the alpha world line, the fact Okabe doesn't die during such attempts, but also various points such like Kurisu finishing the time leaping machine around the same time etc.

Bluntly speaking, few events are basically "inevitable" unless some actions are taken. And for Mayuri's case, it was a complete change of the world line.
Whether or not it is the case for Kurisu will be unfolded in the next episodes anyway.

In a way, I wouldn't be surprised if the fact Daru managed to finish the time machine by 2036 (Beta world line, during the WWIII) is also due to an attractor field.
Old 2011-08-30, 18:15   Link #50
Kusa-San
I'll end it before April.

Quote:
That's how the series portrayed major events that are always occuring despite butterfly effects etc: the fact Mayuri dies in the alpha world line, the fact Okabe doesn't die during such attempts, but also various points such like Kurisu finishing the time leaping machine around the same time etc.

Bluntly speaking, few events are basically "inevitable" unless some actions are taken. And for Mayuri's case, it was a complete change of the world line.
Whether or not it is the case for Kurisu will be unfolded in the next episodes anyway.
Actually, I'm surprised that Kurisu did'nt remember that. Same about Okarin. But maybe that's what she want to tell to Okarin at the end of the episode.
Old 2011-08-30, 18:30   Link #51
Dorohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperdk1 View Post
Wow. Just...wow.

EDIT: By the way, what was the music for the ending?
it's a variation of the visual novel game's main menu theme. name is "Gate of Steiner"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7tjDthBYoM

Being one of my favorite game music theme for years, I absolutely had tears in my eyes when I heard this today XD...too damn awesome

BTW, holy crap i just noticed the ending. the sand clock was slowly restoring like the previous episodes...
and then it broke again! lol nice little touch by the anime staff XD

Last edited by Dorohn; 2011-08-30 at 18:47.
Old 2011-08-30, 18:43   Link #52
bahamut zero
miragecoordinator

You know, that short segment after the ending would have made for an awesome movie trailer :P
Old 2011-08-30, 18:50   Link #53
Crontica

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamut zero View Post
You know, that short segment after the ending would have made for an awesome movie trailer :P
Totally toots.
Old 2011-08-30, 19:01   Link #54
Nonohon

Emotionnal episode :'(

About the World War 3, John Titor said it irl, not in the anime :
Quote:
...This civil war, according to Titor, will end in 2015 with a brief but intense World War III
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Titor
Old 2011-08-30, 19:05   Link #55
Dorohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonohon View Post
Emotionnal episode :'(

About the World War 3, John Titor said it irl, not in the anime :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Titor
i took a look at previous episodes, in episode 3 okarin was typing message to the alpha world line john titor mentioning that "the original John Titor" mentioned the world will have ww3 in 2015 @o@!!
Old 2011-08-30, 19:07   Link #56
Player
Sorcerer of Awesome

Send a message via MSN to Player
I haven't seen an episode like this in anime for a long time. Kurisu/Okabe was extremely well handled, and I loved the kiss scene, as well as the goodbye scene.

Though the defining factor for me was Kurisu returning when Okabe began deleting the mail, to tell him she loved him too... And right before she finished, our mad scientist of a protagonist changed world lines. That REALLY got me to tears, and just got me wishing for more.

I assumed something'd happen right when the credits started playing. Mainly because I noticed how much time was remaining until the episode ended... Then Suzuha called and I remembered the original John Titor and WWIII. Really looking forward to these last few episodes where Okabe'll stop WWIII and probably save Kurisu.
Old 2011-08-30, 19:11   Link #57
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Beaver View Post

Ok now this is my theory:

We're now back in the beta timeline so Kurisu dies right at the start of the events portrayed by the show. In the beta timeline we also know that the d-mail Okabe sent either is undone or isn't picked up by CERN SERN so they aren't aware of it's existence. We also know that sometime in the future Daru, with the help of Okabe, will be able to build a complete time machine (I would like to believe that all the time Okabe re-lived with Kurisu helped but it's not important).

Since in the alpha timeline the world turns into a dystopia in the future and in the beta one (where SERN doesn't control time travel) the world descends into a WWIII we can conclude, imho, that the excessive control by SERN on the beta timeline is what actually prevented the war from breaking out in the first place therefore turning them into misguided good guys! Would you look at that hum?

Anyway there's one piece of info we still don't know and that's the reason for the war to actually break out. If my theory that it all hinges on multiple powers striving to control time travel is true than we have a simple solution: we must kill Daru (or Okabe but I want my KurisuXOkabe ending ).

OH and btw the usual disclaimer: that last paragraph is 100% speculation on my part. I've also resigned myself to the fact that Steins;Gate is "light" SciFi which means we probably won't get a good justification for the reason Okabe has his Reading Steiner ability. It's a plot device and strangely I'm OK with it.

Now onto the episode: I seriously was on the verge of shedding manly tears when watching this one. It's been so masterfully built up for the duration of the series that I just couldn't help but feel the bitter-sweetness of the events portrayed in the episode with full force. I've been slowly but surely grown to believe Kurisu to be one of the best female leads I've seen in anime lately and this episode just cements it. Their relationship is wonderfully done and I was nearly broken until those post-ending scenes showed up giving me a glimmer of hope. I was already halfway to this forums to confirm if this was indeed 24 episodes when I noticed the changes in the ED and not a minute too soon (otherwise I would have been mildly spoiled).
Old 2011-08-30, 19:19   Link #58
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Seconded. I didn't notice anything, and I'm rather curious.
Old 2011-08-30, 19:19   Link #59
8thSin
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
The error occurred at around 19:20.

「犠牲となった全ての想いに感謝を」
> "I am grateful to all those I have had to sacrifice..."

It's an immediate addition to the previous line, where he thanked all of them for "fighting under his command" (it was another line that I didn't particularly like).

The line should've been "I am grateful to all their sacrifices", or even "The sacrifices of our comrades were not in vain" if you're going for liberal translations.

Switching "their" with "I" there completely changes the meaning of this line, and also the weight of the sacrifices made for the operation IMO.

CR subs have been nearly flawless until ep18 or 19, when their translation quality suddenly dropped. Not sure if they changed their staff or change in deadline etc...

Last edited by 8thSin; 2011-08-30 at 19:33.
Old 2011-08-30, 19:49   Link #60
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thSin View Post
The error occurred at around 19:20.

「犠牲となった全ての想いに感謝を」
> "I am grateful to all those I have had to sacrifice..."

It's an immediate addition to the previous line, where he thanked all of them for "fighting under his command" (it was another line that I didn't particularly like).

The line should've been "I am grateful to all their sacrifices", or even "The sacrifices of our comrades were not in vain" if you're going for liberal translations.

Switching "their" with "I" there completely changes the meaning of this line, and also the weight of the sacrifices made for the operation IMO.

CR subs have been nearly flawless until ep18 or 19, when their translation quality suddenly dropped. Not sure if they changed their staff or change in deadline etc...
I don't watch subs but I was curious so I checked it out - the subs were pretty terrible. Kurisu's monologue on the platform was also worded pretty poorly (私にはその辛さいってほしい into "I'm glad you have these pains" is just wrong). But OTOH not surprising of the poor word/editing for someone who still translate ジュース literally as juice, especially in the context of the show ("when you [Okabe] drink juice" it's like the translator never watched the show)
Closed Thread