AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2015-04-05, 19:28   Link #41
Esclair

Really stylish. The whole city oozes with details and life. Sakuga at the end was great too, I just hope they can keep it up. Slightly exposition heavy with the narration and what not but it does a good job of shoving us right into the world.

Is this really going to be only 12 episodes? It'd really suck to see a Bones anime with so much potential get a rushed ending again.
Esclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-05, 21:57   Link #42
Irenesharda

Well, that was a chaotic as NYC itself. I can definitely tell this was done by the same writer as Trigun when I compare Leonard to Vash. However, I felt this episode was doing a heck of a lot in one episode. We get the show's framing device as letters to the MC's sister. (What is up with Japan and having main characters with blind little sisters in wheelchairs?) He's in NYC which is now called Jerusalem's Lot (not really sure why they needed to change the name since despite the addition of otherworldly creatures, the city's pretty much the same. )

We learn about the MC's mission in the city, we learn about the group he joins and their powers, he learn about our main villain for now I guess? We also see the MCs powers as well and that of course he has an aversion to killing.

However, despite all that goes on, it's still way too confusing and chaotic. I can barely connect with anything because it's moving way too fast.

It looks pretty interesting though, like a weird X-men or something. But they have got to slow down. This breakneck pace does little for character development.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-05, 23:43   Link #43
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Whatever "cool" is, Kekkai Sensen has it. Kyousougiga had it, Baccano! had it, vintage Gainax had it. Going through the motions like some recent series doesn't mean you have it - it just makes you a poser.

This series obviously recalls Kyousougigaa - the Matsumoto style is all over it - but it very much recalls Baccano! too. That jazzy attitude, that loose structure that's almost like a jazz composition itself - in the moment seeming improvised, but eventually revealing the way the pieces connect together. Very confusing, but interesting as hell.

Last edited by Guardian Enzo; 2015-04-05 at 23:55.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-05, 23:55   Link #44
Irenesharda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Whatever "cool" is, Kekkai Sensei has it. Kyousougiga had it, Baccano! had it, vintage Gainax had it. Going through the motions like some recent series doesn't mean you have it - it just makes you a poser.

This series obviously recalls Kyousougigaa - the Matsumoto style is all over it - but it very much recalls Baccano! too. That jazzy attitude, that loose structure that's almost like a jazz composition itself - in the moment seeming improvised, but eventually revealing the way the pieces connect together. Very confusing, but interesting as hell.
Maybe that's what it is. I loved Baccano, but I saw the series as a whole with English dub, so it was a lot easier for me to understand what was going on and make sense of the whole chaotic mess.
It will probably be the same for this show. I'll probably enjoy it much more by binge watching it, with a good English dub. I'm fine with subs, but I often find that I enjoy anime that take place in America with a dub rather than subs. The accents and inflections they give often give it a little more authenticity for me.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-06, 01:19   Link #45
Iron Maw
Banned

ep 1

Heh, this definitely one of those shows that looks all over the place, but wins you over with it's style and animation anyway. Funny enough opposed most people here I don't feel like this is much like Baccano at all beyond the jazz music and being set in America. Especially in terms of how it handles it's supernatural elements, which were much more subdued in Bacccano. Here everything is exploding like every 5 minutes.

It's certainly a cool show but, I will probably watch this more for the action then anything else at moment as I feel the writing and direction was kind of weak overall.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-06, 01:32   Link #46
Malicre

Calling it now, anime of the season.
Malicre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-06, 16:16   Link #47
James Rye

Klaus is so badass! Those policerobots or whatever they were sure took it easy though, I mean they had potential villians talking, ready their weapons and take them out and all they did was standing around and doing nothing. XD

A flea being the gate, what a plan! Too bad the monkey got caught by a normal human with abnormal eyes. ^^
James Rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-06, 18:02   Link #48
IceHism

I found that really boring to the point where I almost fell asleep. It wasn't even confusing or chaotic. It just fell flat on me. I hope the remaining episodes can keep my attention some how.

I don't see the baccano similarities outside the fact that it's in america and the jazz music. Neither of which that i really remember baccano for.

And outside of the nicely animated scene of when the green goo stuff was flying through the air and reforming into the monster and the subsequent fight scene, i didn't think it was too impressive.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-06, 19:34   Link #49
MCAL

Well that was crazy, nonsensical, lacking in subtlety and really well directed...

I'm in!
MCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-07, 05:59   Link #50
Draco Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malicre View Post
Calling it now, anime of the season.
No lack of good shows this session, but this is a contender for sure. It's all going to be about which shows can keep the awesome going for the total run IMHO.
Draco Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-07, 07:57   Link #51
Bakaizer
Demon Hunter

Mix Gintama, Kill la Kill, and Baccano
Old 2015-04-07, 10:40   Link #52
HandofFate

Wasn't sure what to think when reading the synopsis, seemed really generic.
But the setting is looking nice actually.
Old 2015-04-07, 10:55   Link #53
nooneagain

The MC
his sister is braver than him! he's a coward(at least in the beginning) lol...I'm a little confused though, if her vision was taken, how can she know what the letter says? I'm thinking that there's some equipment used or someone must have read the letter for her but I'm not sure. Maybe the opening scene will be the ending. Anyways, what happened to their parents? but yeah, he was a coward. I hope he redeems himself lol too painful for me to watch his sister taking the consequences....or maybe she is afraid of the power, cause you know, with great power comes great responsibility. still, poor sister though. Because of a moment of cowardice, now he has to save the world Anyways, I'm looking forward to the next episode!

Last edited by nooneagain; 2015-04-07 at 11:14.
nooneagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-07, 11:37   Link #54
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakaizer View Post
Mix Gintama, Kill la Kill, and Baccano
This is exactly what I thought too plus throw in Marvel/DC since the opening sequence made me think of Avengers/X-men.

I was intrigued when I saw the seiyuu cast, definitely glad I watched it. Even Andy Warhol got a cameo. I liked the pop culture references. Plus the music was a nice plus.

OMG Akira Ishida playing a psycho?? IM so incredibly SHOCKED /not
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing

Last edited by White Manju Bun; 2015-04-07 at 12:03.
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-07, 17:51   Link #55
revive4563

What is this...completely diferent bloody level among TV animes.
revive4563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-07, 18:26   Link #56
Maxulous
mono no aware

Impressive pilot as expected. While the Kyosougiga and Ryohgo Narita influences were felt, they were the more subdued elements and for the better. This episode pushed a genuine 90s vibe which isn't easy (KLK certainly nailed it). KS story needs to find its feet soon before it's swept back away from us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esclair
Is this really going to be only 12 episodes? It'd really suck to see a Bones anime with so much potential get a rushed ending again.
Could be split cour or get treatment akin to Noragami. But I'd be happy with 24 odd episodes all at once like the old days.
Maxulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-07, 20:44   Link #57
DorkingtonPugsly

Awesome. This is the kinda show that's been lacking as of late. Really into it.
The v.a. cast is great too. Great seeing Sakaguchi Daisuke get a lead role.
Old 2015-04-08, 09:09   Link #58
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxulous View Post
This episode pushed a genuine 90s vibe which isn't easy (KLK certainly nailed it).
I agree. This really nails the feel of a late 90's/early 2k's show, in all the good ways.
Old 2015-04-08, 12:49   Link #59
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Well that was alright.

It does leave you wondering about the situation at the start of the episode. Did he just send a pointless letter? Or does that mean by that point they've already dealt with what caused the initial issue and now her eyesight is back? I can certainly get him not bothering to write a letter since she wouldn't be able to read it anyways. And talk about getting the short end of the stick in general. Wasn't able to walk in the first place and by going there she ended up losing her eyesight on top of it all. Although props to her for making the gutsy call of deciding to take the loss instead of pushing it on her brother.

It's a fun over the top show. Wasn't too interesting, but it could be fun to watch regularly.
Old 2015-04-08, 19:17   Link #60
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
I'm not really sure I understood everything, but I'm definitely in.

Tags
action, supernatural