AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2010-09-25, 14:23   Link #1
TrueKnight

Castlevania: Lords of Shadows

Can't believe there isn't any thread for this yet.

Synopsis from Wikipedia:

Quote:
The setting of Lords of Shadow is during "the end of days". The Earth's alliance with the Heavens has been threatened by a malevolent force known as the Lords of Shadow. A dark spell has stopped the souls of the deceased from leaving, while evil creatures inhabit the dying land and attack living people.

The main character, Gabriel Belmont is a member of the "Brotherhood of Light", an elite group of holy knights who protect and defend innocent people against the supernatural creatures. Gabriel's wife Marie was brutally murdered by one of them, and her soul cannot leave as it is trapped in limbo. Because she is now neither alive nor dead, she realizes what is at stake and guides Gabriel to his destiny to save the world as he investigates the dark spell. He travels the destroyed land, meeting other characters such as his mentor Zobek. Two masks referred to as the God and Devil Masks, lie at the centre of the plot, with the God Mask having powers to resurrect the dead. Gabriel intends to defeat the three factions of the Lords of Shadow in order to obtain the pieces of the God Mask, and bring back his deceased wife.
Trailer from youtube in Japanese with english subs (sorry don't know how to attach them in the thread),

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXV6o...eature=related

Looks both sick and awesome. The game's being developed by Spanish studio MercurySteam with close supervision by Hideo Kojima.

Definitely going to be in my purchase lists along with FO NV, GoW 3 and Vanquish.
TrueKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-25, 14:28   Link #2
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Well was lazy to create it

So much great game out soon . I have to make some choice .

Arg this is like the TGS trailer , plenty of spoiler ...

Anyway it won't be my next game yet .
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-25, 14:28   Link #3
Narzia
┐(-。ー')┌

I am pretty excited for this, even more so since I just saw it already comes out on October 7th here.
The franchise has been around for a while and I've always wanted to play one, but for whatever reasons this will actually be my first Castlevania game. ¬_¬

Can't wait.
Narzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-25, 14:30   Link #4
MushroomSamba
Mad Scientist

I think it was in a preview from IGN that it took them 8 hours to get through 3 chapters. And considering there's 12 chapters in all, it's gonna be one long ass game. I figure a good chunk of it's probably gonna be cutscenes, but 32 hours would be way longer than any MGS game I've played.

MushroomSamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-25, 17:16   Link #5
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Oh lord words can't describe how epic the trailer is that TrueKnight posted. Now that's what i call a score. Óscar Araujo sure does deliver.

Absolutely loving the Japanese cast line-up. I'm guessing the Europe/US release will be dub only? Ah well i'm used to it now, and plus we get Patrick Stewart.

Seriously can't wait for this games release in two weeks.

Last edited by Shiroth; 2010-09-25 at 17:39.
Shiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-25, 19:47   Link #6
MushroomSamba
Mad Scientist

Already pre-ordered off Amazon...and got me a sweet $20 off my next game purchase to boot (I really love their bonus discounts). Man, the next couple months are gonna be stacked with awesome games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Oh lord words can't describe how epic the trailer is that TrueKnight posted. Now that's what i call a score. Óscar Araujo sure does deliver.

Absolutely loving the Japanese cast line-up. I'm guessing the Europe/US release will be dub only? Ah well i'm used to it now, and plus we get Patrick Stewart.

I really hope they offer a Japanese dub/Eng sub feature, at least for the cinematics...the voice work was absolutely epic in that trailer.

Old 2010-09-25, 23:00   Link #7
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post

Screw Patrick Stewart, we get ROBERT CARLYLE ! ^^
Yeah, this game's definately on my radar. Unfortunately many are lately.
Old 2010-09-26, 02:33   Link #8
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

I really want dual audio for this, given that Tomokazu Sugita is playing Dracula... but that will probably never happen.

This game is out on my birthday, and given that trailer, it's pretty much an automatic Day 1 Purchase. If nothing else, it certainly looks like GOTY material, but we'll have to see how it actually plays.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-26, 03:38   Link #9
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Seeing as though the game isn't released in Japan until December and we're getting it in October, i have such a strong feeling that means no Japanese audio for us.

Speaking of the October release, is there no trailer yet showing the English dub?
Old 2010-09-26, 18:09   Link #10
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by MushroomSamba View Post
I think it was in a preview from IGN that it took them 8 hours to get through 3 chapters. And considering there's 12 chapters in all, it's gonna be one long ass game. I figure a good chunk of it's probably gonna be cutscenes, but 32 hours would be way longer than any MGS game I've played.
From a lot of its reviews, this game has been reported to be approximately 20 hours long. The cutscenes amount to about 1 hour total (with the ending being the longest of them all). One thing is certain: this game is going to kick ass .
Old 2010-09-30, 10:23   Link #11
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Played the demo, and i must say i'm pretty pleased. Shame it's basically just another hack and slash, though the gameplay is pretty fun, plus learning new moves and the dodge system just add to that.

Visuals are seriously stunning. Especially the horse riding part. Demo has the dub, which is actually pretty damn good. Robert Carlyle makes a good Gabriel, and Patrick Stewart is just what you expect. Sure i'd still prefer the Japanese voice cast, though i can safely say i don't mind playing the whole game with the dub.

As expecting, my favorite parts from the trailer (the score and story) seriously shine. I'm loving what's shown regarding the 'love' part of the story.

Only a week to go now.
Old 2010-09-30, 13:28   Link #12
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

I'll go out on the limb and say for once I think I actually prefer the dub here. Not to say the japanese cast isn't great, in fact it's awesome but I gotta say I get a better feel from the english dub.
Patrick Stewart makes for a great narrator and Robbie Carlyle makes for a great eh "man on a mission"

I recall seeing the trailer last year and when hearing the Patrick and Robbie were doing the voices I said to myself "I gotta get this game"
Old 2010-09-30, 13:37   Link #13
Narzia
┐(-。ー')┌

Was quite surprised to hear Gabriel spoken by Dr. Rush. I like his voice but I wonder if it really will fit, especially since I'll always think of a certain scientist.

Nice demo though. Combat isn't award-winning but it does it's job well and that's all I need. I'm usually not a guy who gives a damn about visuals, how many hurr durr frames per second it has and if it's 1080p or not. Well, I still don't care but I thought the colors were quite nice. Always been a fan of sunsets and torchfire in the night scenery.
The only part I didn't like really much werde was the horse riding.

The IGNorant bunch gave it a 7.5 with reasons I cannot even begin to comprehend. They've always been somewhere between good and garbage, but this is one of the worst reviews I've ever seen.

Still, I'll buy it on day one. I wonder if I should replay Metroid Prime 2 until then to shorten the wait.
Narzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-30, 16:15   Link #14
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

^I've never been a fan of IGN, so there's no surprise that their review for this game ends up being like that.
Old 2010-09-30, 20:40   Link #15
Blackbeard D. Kuma

What's stupid is that essentially every single role-playing action game is now being compared to God of War. What is so innovative about that series? Don't get me wrong, it's great, but it gets way too much praise and credit.

How else would these reviewers expect a 3D Castlevania to look like anyways? Apparently the whip (vampire killer) is too much of a rip-off of Kratos' chain blades, gameplay wise. These people need to do their homework and understand that the Castlevania series was out long before God of War.
Old 2010-09-30, 23:19   Link #16
ddwkc
Lone Wolf

Send a message via MSN to ddwkc
Well, I don't care if it's innovative or not. Kojima is involved in this game. This will be awesome!
Eo tempore mortem cognovi
ddwkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-01, 00:51   Link #17
MushroomSamba
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
What's stupid is that essentially every single role-playing action game is now being compared to God of War. What is so innovative about that series? Don't get me wrong, it's great, but it gets way too much praise and credit.

How else would these reviewers expect a 3D Castlevania to look like anyways? Apparently the whip (vampire killer) is too much of a rip-off of Kratos' chain blades, gameplay wise. These people need to do their homework and understand that the Castlevania series was out long before God of War.
I haven't read the review, but what's so bad about it being compared to God of War? I mean, it's a game that absolutely nailed how action games should handle. I still remember how impressed I was with the level of polish in its controls and combat system when it first burst onto the scene. Loved that slight stutter effect as you hit enemies, too...it just had such a satisfying feel to it.

I've seen gameplay clips of Castlevania, and I wouldn't exactly call it a stretch to say they've taken some inspirations there. Yeah, the Castlevania series came out first, but I think we'd all agree this isn't the same game we grew up with. They've clearly remodeled the combat after modern actioners.

Also, I don't mean to defend IGN (I honestly don't even care for their reviews), but I think it's silly to get all up in arms over the score for a game we haven't even played yet. I learned my lesson when I threw a hissy fit over GameSpot's 8-point-something score of Twilight Princess, only to play it myself and realize they probably overrated it if anything.

Old 2010-10-01, 07:37   Link #18
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Gametrailer's review is out.

The look down on the controls for the exploring and adventuring part of the game sounds like it depends of the player and not the game. If you're good at these type of games, then i really can't see there being much problem. Shame to hear about the puzzles, though thankfully there's supposed to not be that many of them.

Some of the landscape shots in that review though are absolutely breathtaking.
Old 2010-10-01, 08:03   Link #19
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Played about an hour of it. Graphics are exceptional and there's almost seamless transition from cutscenes to gameplay screen. A tad too heavy of the cutscenes though, as expected from Kojima Productions.

I shall not mention too much about the mechanics now as most are aware of it being GoW-lish and they are right about it.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-01, 08:35   Link #20
Mord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
Played about an hour of it. Graphics are exceptional and there's almost seamless transition from cutscenes to gameplay screen. A tad too heavy of the cutscenes though, as expected from Kojima Productions.
If you read the developer interviews, Kojima wasn't all that involved in the game.

If I remember right, telling MercurySteam that Gabriel needed to be changed because he was a one dimensional character, and getting them funding were the main things he was involved in. MercurySteam also had a few technical issues and received help from Kojima Productions after asking.
Mord is offline   Reply With Quote