Notices

Old 2008-08-12, 20:12   Link #1
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
User Title bug?

While trying to change my user title like yesterday or so, I tried typing

"Artists Alike Grp Leader" on the empty available slots. After several attempts, I could never get the last part "Leader" to show you on it. There are 25 open slots of
"text box" or "place holders" what ever they are called. That aside, what is the problem with it?

I tried typing mumbo jumob for the 25 areas of typeable text and it accepted it without any problem.

ex. 1234567890123456789012345

At first I thought there might be a limitation on the amounts of spaces (as in the space bar command) due to the how the Vbulletin may be developed but by using my little simple "1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1" it works perfectly.

A ha! I found it. It seems that the word "leader" is not accepted as a word in the "custom user title".

Now why is this?

ps: was testing different forms of leaders, and this word is definitely not accepted in the user title.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-12, 20:18   Link #2
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoie_Emesai View Post
It seems that the word "leader" is not accepted as a word in the "custom user title".
Correct, the word leader is not permitted in user titles. The forum is configured to not let you use it, along with some other words like "admin", "forum", and "moderator". I believe the idea is to prevent mischievous members from misleading inexperienced users.
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-12, 20:19   Link #3
Seditary
Ooooo what?!

Break out a thesaurus!

Must be some kind of limitation imposed by either the ASuki staff or Jelsoft.

Edit: Ah Nightwish beat me while I was typing.
Old 2008-08-12, 20:19   Link #4
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWish View Post
Correct, the word leader is not permitted in user titles. The forum is configured to not let you use it, along with some other words like "admin", "forum", and "moderator". I believe the idea is to prevent mischievous members from misleading inexperienced users.
Ah, okay. I'll give up on my though of it. I wouldn't want to confuse others too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seditary View Post
Break out a thesaurus!

Must be some kind of limitation imposed by either the ASuki staff or Jelsoft.

Edit: Ah Nightwish beat me while I was typing.
Nvm... Seditary changed his post while I was quoting him and I saw that it has changed >.<

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Old 2008-08-12, 20:27   Link #5
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

The issue of removing the leader censorship has been raised before and rejected. However, given we now have coloured badges to show the staff roles, I would be willing to give the idea a second hearing. Provided there are no objections from the other staff.

Edit: Having read KholdStare's post I realise mine is ambiguous. The previous request was to remove the censorship of Leader, which is what I was referring to. It is highly unlikely that we would remove the other three as there is no legitimate need for them, where as (as was pointed out in the aforementioned request) someone might legitimately want "cheerleader" as their user title...

Last edited by NightWish; 2008-08-12 at 21:15.
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-12, 20:41   Link #6
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

It makes no difference to me whether it changes or not. But a removal of the "censorship" I would definitely go for.

Count me in. Might be kinda good for group leaders like myself and those other social group.

Old 2008-08-12, 20:46   Link #7
Seditary
Ooooo what?!

Makes sense, the purple and red titles for staff and moderators are pretty obvious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoie_Emesai View Post
Nvm... Seditary changed his post while I was quoting him and I saw that it has changed >.<
Heh, I compulsively edit pretty much all my posts as I reread.
Old 2008-08-12, 20:51   Link #8
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
I'm against removing the censorship of admin/forum/moderator, but leader sounds tame and should not be included in the censorship.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-13, 03:10   Link #9
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Another option might be to expand the colored badges a little more. Something like Social Group Creator or Social Group Member, or something a little more specific. I'm not sure how specific you could get without having too many choices, nor am I sure it's even a good idea. But I'm just tossing the thought out there.
Old 2008-08-13, 03:45   Link #10
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Another option might be to expand the colored badges a little more. Something like Social Group Creator or Social Group Member, or something a little more specific. I'm not sure how specific you could get without having too many choices, nor am I sure it's even a good idea. But I'm just tossing the thought out there.
I don't see how something like that serves any purpuse besides decoration.
It is also awfully ambigous since I'm sure there are (will be) people who don't know what social groups are.
Old 2008-08-13, 04:53   Link #11
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
I don't see how something like that serves any purpuse besides decoration.
It is also awfully ambigous since I'm sure there are (will be) people who don't know what social groups are.
Won't argue those points. Titles in general tend to be fluff, and we do have a number of group titles already. I was just tossing the idea out, but I've already admitted it's probably not the best idea ever.

Still, there's not many other options one could take to proclaim they were the creator/owner/leader of a social group or some other organized function. Titles, colored badges, signature advertising...I'm not really sure what else could be done. Special user names are reserved for site staff (bold and italics), so that's kind of ruled out too.

There's always the option to add a new board function, but I'm sure NightWish would probably cringe at that one.
Old 2008-08-13, 11:32   Link #12
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Or you could be like Solace and request a title change from a moderator that includes these censored words. The only downside I can see is people cluttering up mod's PMs and making them do extra work, but I don't think many people would want these changes anyways.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-13, 15:16   Link #13
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
Or you could be like Solace and request a title change from a moderator that includes these censored words.
I didn't request it. It was given to me.