AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2013-02-08, 16:24   Link #1
Midnight2352
Midnight
*Author

Cool Real life/Coming-of-the-age anime with romance

I'm looking for animes that are coming-of-the-age and/ based almost on reality. I'd like romance to be a factor in the animes you suggest. However, NO echhi (minor echhi is fine just not too extreme) NO yaoi/yuri. I don't mind if the anime does have plot twists which makes it different from reality.

Here are some animes that fit my requirements:

Ginban Kaleidoscope
Peach Girl
Aishiteruze Baby
Sukitte Ii Na Yo
School Rumble
Skip Beat
Lovely Complex
Itazura Na Kiss
Nadame Cantabille
Hanamaru Kindergarten
NANA
Tonari No Kaibutsu Kun

Thank you. I hope I have enough for you to work with. If you need more info, feel free to ask me.

Additional info: A little magic, somewhat like Ginban Kaleidoscope is fine.

Just in case I forgot to add anything else, here's my anime list: http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Midnight2352

Last edited by Midnight2352; 2013-02-09 at 07:12. Reason: Updated List....sorry for the inconvenience.
Midnight2352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-08, 16:40   Link #2
Repelsteeltju
DRRR!!

'based on reality', meaning based on a true story or just something with no magic that takes itself seriously?

Anyway an anime that really evoked the bildungsroman feeling for me was Welcome to the NHK.
It would have changed my life for the better had it not already been on a great course at the time I'm sure.
Also try Clannad. It's a dramatic highschool comedy thing untill the characters grow up and all that in the sequel Clannad ~After Story~.
Repelsteeltju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-08, 16:53   Link #3
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Seconding Clannad.

Also suggesting the currently airing Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo (it contains a minor amount of ecchi though), and Hanasaku Iroha (though romance takes a while to appear really).
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-08, 17:16   Link #4
Midnight2352
Midnight
*Author

Repelsteeltju: Not exactly a true story. It should just have some sort of reality in it. No magic please. It doesn't necessarily have to be "serious". Like School Rumble, it can be funny too.
Thanks for your suggestions. Welcome to NHK is interesting. Clannad...i dropped it cause i lost interest in it.

Konakaga: Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo sounds cool! Minor amount of echhi? Acceptable. Hanasaku Iroha...hmm...not bad. Will take it into consideration. Thanks!
Old 2013-02-08, 17:37   Link #5
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

The characters in Nodame Cantabile are of college-age, but they're still undergoing the transition from childhood to adulthood. Nodame herself is the prime example, but even stuffy know-it-all Chiaki discovers he still has a lot to learn about life. The English-dubbed version is streamed on Crackle; for subtitles you need to watch fansubs.

The story is set in a classical music academy. Chiaki wants to become a conductor like his idol, Sebastian Viera. Nodame just enjoys playing the piano, but beneath her ditzy exterior lies an immense but undeveloped talent.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-08, 17:58   Link #6
Midnight2352
Midnight
*Author

SeijiSensei: Nodame Cantabille is amazing. The curly hair guy is weird but if you forget about him, it's a nice anime. Thanks a lot!
Old 2013-02-08, 19:20   Link #7
kaitanuva

Rec - light hearted, young adult romantic fun
kaitanuva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-08, 19:28   Link #8
Midnight2352
Midnight
*Author

kaitanuva:Just read what it was about and i like it. Only downside is the little episodes it has and how much echhi does it have? Thank you!
Old 2013-02-08, 19:32   Link #9
kaitanuva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight2352 View Post
kaitanuva:Just read what it was about and i like it. Only downside is the little episodes it has. :/ But, Thank you!
Yeah its pretty much the length of an average movie. It gets the story done though.
Old 2013-02-08, 19:35   Link #10
Midnight2352
Midnight
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitanuva View Post
Yeah its pretty much the length of an average movie. It gets the story done though.
Really? Okay, I'll give it a shot then. Thanks.
Old 2013-02-08, 19:42   Link #11
kaitanuva

Oh, didn't see your mention about ecchi. No it doesn't have much ecchi if I recall. It does have something else though... I won't say what because I'd be spoiling it big time.
Old 2013-02-08, 19:45   Link #12
Midnight2352
Midnight
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitanuva View Post
Oh, didn't see your mention about ecchi. No it doesn't have much ecchi if I recall. It does have something else though... I won't say what because I'd be spoiling it big time.
Ah..okay. I appreciate you keeping the spoilers from me.
Old 2013-02-08, 23:19   Link #13
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Hmm...

I'd suggest the following:

Whisper of the Heart
Cross Game
Mysterious Girlfriend X
Masion Ikkoku (does have a see-through nightgown in the first episode, shows up again end of season 1, and then never seen again).
Touch
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun
Ano Hana
Hanasaku Iroha

Mawaru-Penguindrum for a twist. (It's reality, but not reality)

You'd probably enjoy the story of the literature girl too.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-08, 23:39   Link #14
Dawnstorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight2352 View Post
It should just have some sort of reality in it. No magic please.
That's a bit confusing, considering you mention Ginban Kaleidoscope. I suppose a little doesn't hurt?

Try:

Kimi ni Todoke: Billed as a romance. It's very slow paced, which bores some people, but if it doesn't you get a story that's just nice and heartwarming. There's romance, but a huge part of the appeal is watching an outsider get used to having friends. The romance integrates into that theme, making romance seem more like an extension of friendship, though the "special feelings" do feature prominently. There are two seasons; only the first one is great, but if you loved the first season you'll so want to see the finale of the second.

Nana: Two very different women, both named Nana, meet on a train while their moving to Tokyo. Then they meet again while looking for an appartment to live in. That has to be fate. They move in together. One of the best shows I've seen. The emphasis is on friendship and responsibility. The two Nanas have each a very different attitude towards romance, and life in general. Very emotionally intense at times. I remember one nude scene, but it didn't have an ecchi feel to it.
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote