Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Log Horizon

Notices

Old 2013-10-25, 08:13   Link #261
blackwhite67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Depends on where you draw the line of parody.

Soujirou Seta is just as bad though, he looks and talks like Soujirou Seta from Rurouni Kenshin.
Of course, Watsuki can't say jack shit about that one, he's far more guilty of parodies and influences. Rurouni Kenshin was FULL of X-Men characters.
I didn't see any relation between Rurouni Kenshin and X-men.

Last edited by blackwhite67; 2013-10-25 at 08:48.
blackwhite67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-25, 08:15   Link #262
Avento
Lone Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige
Rurouni Kenshin was FULL of X-Men characters
Really? Rurouni Kenshin is one of my favourite manga and i did watch some x-men cartoon but i dont see any connection between the 2

Avento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-25, 08:22   Link #263
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
O_O

I don't understand this. I watch Rurouni Kenshin and even buy the dvd's but .... X-men? sorry but maybe I just don't know any western comic novel or something but I don't have a clue on what you said.

Maybe that is why I also didn't recognize TMNT. Since I'm little I only watch anime and few western shows. I didn't watch x-men or likes for the matter but I know them.
Jin-e = Gambit
Akamatsu = Omega Red (not only he looks just like OM, the name Akamatsu translates to Omega Red lol)
Kujiranami = Apocalypse

etc.

Of course, Watsuki doesn't hide these facts, he admits in the notes in his books that he blatantly based them off X-Men and other Marvel characters.
Old 2013-10-25, 08:33   Link #264
tsunade666

Quote:
Jin-e = Gambit
Akamatsu = Omega Red (not only he looks just like OM, the name Akamatsu translates to Omega Red lol)
Kujiranami = Apocalypse

etc.

Of course, Watsuki doesn't hide these facts, he admits in the notes in his books that he blatantly based them off X-Men and other Marvel characters.
wow... I didn't know that. But the anime and manga are both license and in English. (Get your copy on ) so why the problem with copyright?

Is it because its in year 1990's?
Old 2013-10-25, 08:51   Link #265
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avento View Post
Really? Rurouni Kenshin is one of my favourite manga and i did watch some x-men cartoon but i dont see any connection between the 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwhite67 View Post
I didn't see any relation between Rurouni Kenshin and X-men.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breimoon View Post
what, really??? Didn't see rurouni kenshin yet.
Quote:
O_O

I don't understand this. I watch Rurouni Kenshin and even buy the dvd's but .... X-men? sorry but maybe I just don't know any western comic novel or something but I don't have a clue on what you said.
Here you go.
Watsuki also based a lot of his characters off fighting games, but SNK returned that favor as well. (until eventually they hooked up and worked together)
I have the entire original Rurouni Kenshin tankoubons (not the kanzenban), and Watsuki talks about his influences a lot in the atogaki.

Old 2013-10-25, 09:50   Link #266
Estavali
物語は、もう、おしまい……?

Quote:
Depends on where you draw the line of parody.

Soujirou Seta is just as bad though, he looks and talks like Soujirou Seta from Rurouni Kenshin.
Of course, Watsuki can't say jack shit about that one, he's far more guilty of parodies and influences. Rurouni Kenshin was FULL of X-Men characters.
As far as I know, the Japanese manga-anime-light novel industry is fine with parodies and shout-outs, so as long it doesn't cross the line and becomes plagiarism. Especially in series dealing with otaku protagonists and/or otaku culture, where mention of other works (or their parodies) is a must. In some cases, some authors/mangaka might even consider it an honour to be parodied (in a flattering way, ofc).

Though whether Nickelodeon thinks the same is anyone's guess

Signature by liro
Estavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-25, 15:44   Link #267
Avento
Lone Wolf

so some1 is already translating this LN to chinese?

Is no one going to translate this to english or are they waiting for mamare's permission before translating?

Old 2013-10-25, 16:26   Link #268
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avento View Post
so some1 is already translating this LN to chinese?

Is no one going to translate this to english or are they waiting for mamare's permission before translating?
all five vols is already available in Chinese.
Old 2013-10-25, 16:50   Link #269
blackwhite67
Banned

Quote:
Here you go.
Watsuki also based a lot of his characters off fighting games, but SNK returned that favor as well. (until eventually they hooked up and worked together)
I have the entire original Rurouni Kenshin tankoubons (not the kanzenban), and Watsuki talks about his influences a lot in the atogaki.

WOW. Mind Blown. This explains why I thought the characters were so familiar.
blackwhite67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-26, 09:32   Link #270
Avento
Lone Wolf

just watched the 4th episode.

how come shiroe calls nyanta chief? is it because nyanta is the second-in-command of the DTP or something?

is it just me or when nyanta calls shiroe's name it sounds more like shiro-ecchi than shiroe-cchi

Old 2013-10-26, 11:18   Link #271
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

It's a nickname. Although he was likely a captain of a team. (a raid consists of four teams)
Old 2013-10-26, 11:27   Link #272
Breimoon

if a raid consists of four teams, the total members of DTP were 24??? I tought they were only about 12
Breimoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-26, 11:28   Link #273
tsunade666

From the known party members of tea party. Nyanta is probably the close combat member that leads in battle. Kanami probably just drag them where ever she wants. Shiroe the strategist. Naotsugu is the tank. Souji? He calls naotsugu and shiroe as sempai. I don't know if its age o seniority in the group.
Old 2013-10-26, 11:44   Link #274
Drkz
( ゚∀゚)アハハ八八ノヽノヽノヽノ \ / \/

Do swashbucklers do more damage if they get hurt? Or was he trying to help raise the druid girl raise her skill experience. Does this mean you can register a person as a friend without them knowing? Talk about stalking potential . Aohige does the author ever have a character steal a item from another character?
Old 2013-10-26, 11:52   Link #275
Breimoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drkz View Post
Do swashbucklers do more damage if they get hurt? Or was he trying to help raise the druid girl raise her skill experience. Does this mean you can register a person as a friend without them knowing? Talk about stalking potential . Aohige does the author ever have a character steal a item from another character?
swashbucklers need a little time to put their debuffs on enemy so it is not as they do more damage if they get hurt but they do more dmg the more time passes.(though it is probably limited to a few stacks kinda like in wow where 5 less defense is the max) As for the register a person as a friend don't know.
Breimoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-26, 11:56   Link #276
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drkz View Post
Swashbucklers damage increase as the fight goes on due to applied debuffs obviously.

You can register anyone if you're within their range.
You can see where anyone on the friend list is as well.
So it's not so much a friend list as it is a stalker list.

And no, there's been no stealing shown in the novel.
Old 2013-10-26, 11:57   Link #277
Drkz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breimoon View Post
swashbucklers need a little time to put their debuffs on enemy so it is not as they do more damage if they get hurt but they do more dmg the more time passes.(though it is probably limited to a few stacks kinda like in wow where 5 less defense is the max) As for the register a person as a friend don't know.
Oh I see. Is the anime making him less brutal? Or did the manga take liberties with the story. In the manga I think shiroe killed him with a knife of some sort .
Old 2013-10-26, 12:07   Link #278
tsunade666

Will demiclass show up in the future? In the manga he down't to talk much because he died then and there from the combo.

Rondark was knifed by shiroe before they left. Its more like a reminder or warning in the manga. He gutted the guy in front of the guild.

You can add anyone I. The friend list without the other person accepting the request?
Old 2013-10-26, 12:18   Link #279
Drkz

Quote:
Rondark was knifed by shiroe before they left. Its more like a reminder or warning in the manga. He gutted the guy in front of the guild.

You can add anyone I. The friend list without the other person accepting the request?
Yeah they way I see Shiroe as perceived is pretty brutal if you piss him off at least. The anime has made it pretty contradictory. He doesn't seem as brutal, but considering they've been doing this so well.
Spoiler for Who needs a rape face?:

Oh Aohgie answered my question on the anime thread. Guess the elf guy was the real leader explains why Shiroe called him out.
Old 2013-10-26, 12:24   Link #280
Estavali
物語は、もう、おしまい……?

Spoiler for Hmmm....:

Signature by liro
Estavali is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternate reality, database, economics, political theory, spoilers