AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-01-20, 14:55   Link #19161
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Guys, we are getting a little too OT here so I am shifting replies to the VM.

And stop doing selective reading on my posts and make me look like some lolicon pervert.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-01-20, 15:07   Link #19162
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Ultranationalist agents from Russia, US or EU. Or maybe China because they are not invited.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
the usual suspects would be the:

Freemason
Knights Templar
Illuminati
Well that's different than time travelers, espers, or aliens.

Or sliders....can't forget the sliders.....
Old 2012-01-20, 18:43   Link #19163
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
Well you cannot know how meat taste if you never tried it before. It is like once a killer always a killer.
They could be converts. Hell, it also depends on their reasons for being vegetarians. There isn't just one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
No problem from a vegetarian point of view. But from a meat-eater's pov (mine): "I don't want to kill any animals! But I want to taste meat anyway!" is a fine example of cognitive dissonance. Fake meat is having your cake and eating it too.
I'm a meat eater too, and I still don't see the problem. False meat is an ingredient like any other. Who cares if some people want to eat it?
Old 2012-01-20, 18:47   Link #19164
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The better question would be, does it provide any nutritional value verse real meat?
Old 2012-01-20, 18:53   Link #19165
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
The better question would be, does it provide any nutritional value verse real meat?
think Macdonald's mystery meat or Spam. both fine examples of fake meat.
Old 2012-01-20, 19:13   Link #19166
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Can't say about McDonald's, but SPAM is pork.
Old 2012-01-20, 20:26   Link #19167
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
think Macdonald's mystery meat or Spam. both fine examples of fake meat.
Spam actually comes from the animal kingdom... what part of what animals is the mystery

MacDonald's was accused of using "worm meat" a couple of decades ago and the spokeswoman took pains to explain that worm meat was $6 a pound at the time and too expensive to use versus $1.50/lb for burger. The hilarity was the straight-faced implication they *would* use it without blinking if it were cheaper than hamburger.

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/food/wormburg.asp
Old 2012-01-20, 20:40   Link #19168
justsomeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I'm a meat eater too, and I still don't see the problem. False meat is an ingredient like any other. Who cares if some people want to eat it?
Who said it's a problem? It's just amusing, that some people will ban themselves from eating a food, and choose a fake to satisfy their craving for the real deal.

re: nutritional value of fake meat: the stuff I've eaten was made from tofu and tofu skins. I would assume the nutritional value would be identical to those.

Currently playing: LoH Trails in the Sky SC
Old 2012-01-20, 20:58   Link #19169
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

I once had to have one of these meat substitute burgers at a new york vegan restaurant.

It was a profoundly disturbing experience. It's not that the burger tasted like meat, or didn't taste like meat. It didn't taste like anything. When have you ever eaten something with no taste at all. Disturbing.

Funny story, my sister once tried to eat a vegetarian diet, and was fairly good about it too. She ended out coming down with iron deficiency. Doctor said "Start eating meat again".

It's possible to have a nutritious vegetarian diet, but it takes a lot of work.

As for vegan diets, half the vegans I knew were taking vitamin suplements, that's a healthy diet...

Anyway, after going to that vegan restaurant, I never want to eat vegan again. There is no meal I ever have which conforms to vegan standard. Not even my salads (I always add Cheese). A vegan diet is unnatural.

As for this fake meat, nutritionally speaking it'll probably the same as normal meat, but will it have the texture of normal meat? From all the reports, it's currently just slime. How lovely.
Old 2012-01-20, 21:22   Link #19170
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Spam actually comes from the animal kingdom... what part of what animals is the mystery

MacDonald's was accused of using "worm meat" a couple of decades ago and the spokeswoman took pains to explain that worm meat was $6 a pound at the time and too expensive to use versus $1.50/lb for burger. The hilarity was the straight-faced implication they *would* use it without blinking if it were cheaper than hamburger.

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/food/wormburg.asp
Heh, so apparently they'd already looked into that option.
Old 2012-01-20, 22:00   Link #19171
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

SPAM is pig shoulder and ham (whichever part of the pig is generally used to make ham). It is "SPiced hAM".

I don't particularly enjoy it, a good amount of salt in there. Wikipedia has the nutritional information on it.
Old 2012-01-20, 23:39   Link #19172
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Fears of mutant virus escape halt bird flu study
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...80J02X20120120
Old 2012-01-21, 02:08   Link #19173
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Is it possible to have a happy open marriage?

Interesting.
Old 2012-01-21, 04:16   Link #19174
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Major powers open to serious talks with Iran
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...80H15Z20120120
Old 2012-01-21, 11:29   Link #19175
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
SPAM is pig shoulder and ham (whichever part of the pig is generally used to make ham). It is "SPiced hAM".

I don't particularly enjoy it, a good amount of salt in there. Wikipedia has the nutritional information on it.
Ham is made from the pigs legs btw.
Old 2012-01-21, 12:53   Link #19176
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Terror attacks in Nigeria kill 162:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...least-162.html
Old 2012-01-21, 21:04   Link #19177
Rennir
Quietly Lurking
*Graphic Designer

I thought this article was pretty enlightening about outsourcing manufacturing jobs overseas, more so than the typical cheap labor/less labor laws/labor unions reasons. Can't say it's relevant to all industries though.

http://nyti.ms/yGdOk7
Old 2012-01-21, 23:02   Link #19178
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Rising murder rate may spoil Mardi Gras party
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...80I1RQ20120119

Edit: U.S. REP. Gabrielle Giffords will step down from congress this week
http://giffords.house.gov/2012/01/us...his-week.shtml

Last edited by ganbaru; 2012-01-22 at 15:41.
Old 2012-01-22, 23:46   Link #19179
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
AN EXTRAORDINARY story is making the rounds among the hacks and other expats in Japan. A Canadian freelance journalist who has lived in Japan for years fell into the ugly whirlpool of Japan’s immigration-and-detention system. For years human-rights monitors have cited Japan’s responsible agencies for awful abuses; in their reports the system looks like something dark, chaotic and utterly incongruous with the country’s image of friendly lawfulness.
Still the case of Christopher Johnson beggars belief. Returning to Tokyo after a short trip on December 23rd he was ushered into an examination room, where his nightmare began. Over the next 24 hours he was imprisoned and harassed. Most of his requests to call a lawyer, the embassy or friends were denied, he says.
Officials falsified statements that he gave them and then insisted that he sign the erroneous testimony, he says. Guards tried to extort money from him and at one point even threatened to shoot him, he says—unless he purchased a wildly expensive ticket for his own deportation, including an overt kick-back for his tormentors. Once he was separated from his belongings, money was stolen from his wallet and other items removed from his baggage (as he has reported to the Tokyo police).

http://www.economist.com/blogs/banya...#sort-comments

anyone form Japan or been there want to comment on this?
Old 2012-01-23, 00:09   Link #19180
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:

We mostly keep it for "earthquake supplies" ... but the Hawaiians make a dish called Musubi that is pretty tasty with it.

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international