AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-04-14, 02:32   Link #21
DekaMaster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashibaka
The correct method of credits, as smart people know, is to put them in the ED theme so that you aren't screwing up the OP theme.
Yeah but who about in the eye catch then you arn't screwing anything up. Do you really believe this or are you being sarcastic? I really hope it's scarcasm.
Old 2004-04-14, 03:19   Link #22
LordBrian
Triad's Friendly Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRanger
And who cares if you are a girl? Why point that out.
She just wanted to preempt such questions as "Why do you bother watching such terrible shows to begin with?" ;)
Old 2004-04-14, 03:25   Link #23
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

I think this argument is valid, there's a reason why most (if not all) fansubs put the text on the buttom or the top instead of in the middle of the screen... I mean since they do it for free of course they have the right to put the text right in the middle of the screen...
Old 2004-04-14, 04:27   Link #24
SpikeS095
Fighting Stupidity

Why is the standard reply to any discussion or criticism something about "they do it for free, stop complaining"...
Old 2004-04-14, 04:52   Link #25
DekaMaster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeS095
Why is the standard reply to any discussion or criticism something about "they do it for free, stop complaining"...

This isn't criticism it is a person whining about where subs are placed and choices groups make.
Old 2004-04-14, 05:00   Link #26
Ketsu-Kun
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Ketsu-Kun Send a message via MSN to Ketsu-Kun
Quote:
But you don't have the right to say you're 'presenting' it
They're putting hard work into making it so you can enjoy watching the show, they have every damn right to say they're presenting it. Studio's create things, they don't present them. The TV stations are what present things, and guess who's giving you the subs?

Oh' yes, the guys who you say have no right to take credit for their hard work.
Old 2004-04-14, 05:26   Link #27
Rokawa
Presenting Rukawa

Send a message via MSN to Rokawa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketsu-Kun
They're putting hard work into making it so you can enjoy watching the show, they have every damn right to say they're presenting it. Studio's create things, they don't present them. The TV stations are what present things, and guess who's giving you the subs?

i prefer the fansub grps of translations who did it for free anytime to those sold dvd with shitty subtitles. GLMP. What happen to the manufacturing practices of producing gd quality products. Honestly the timing sometimes sucks and there are cases of missing subtitles. Translations can be wrong also zzz. For most fans, what gd is anime when you cant understand the story. Wanna add in credit, sure. although if its blocking the OP viewing but cant be help. SlamDunk by anime empire op sometimes block too, but it doesnt matter, they distribute it freely plus gd subbing.
Honestly sometimes, well everytime i watch fansubbed materials, i wish those licensed ppl would hire fansub grps to do the subbing. buying dvd is scary since most of time they aren't up to expectations. vcd are better. fansubs the best.
Old 2004-04-14, 07:34   Link #28
GipFace

Uhm ...

buying dvd is scary since most of time they aren't up to expectations.

Just curious, when was the last time you bought an R1 and what was it?

vcd are better.

Uh ... no. Unless you're one of those people buying fansub vcds on ebay.
Old 2004-04-14, 08:11   Link #29
the_marshal

Well here are somme of my opinion about typesetting... I also try to find the fansubs that suits me the best, but a lot do a great job

So, what I realy don't like is when the fansuber puts credit OVER the original credit (of course most people aren't able to read the original credit but I find it irrespectful to the original staff). Mot of time though, the fansuber credit are put aside the original, often in the same style.

For karaoke, they do take a lot of space, but most of the like I like them... What I don't like is whenn there are difficult to read (espacialy on tv) or the text is disappear... otherwise the shinny color are ok most of the time. And raw file for opening/ending are not too difficult to find

Then one more comment about being able to read the sub.... when watching on my computer I never had a problem... but on TV it can be sommewhat difficult (and I don't have a small tv, but the resolution of the tv doesn't help and computer video-pout aren't realy good either)... for exemple comment which are written smaller !

For notes I do realy like when there are interessting, putting them directly on the show is the easiest and maybe more efficant way to do it.... but if there should be lot's of comment I would prefer explanation befor the actual episodes.... on exemple for this is Ebichu fansub by animempeg... realy good work on this one (there are just a bit slow... want to see the nexts episode of the show !!)

Well I think I already written enough... sorry I there are too many mistakes
Old 2004-04-14, 09:26   Link #30
wao
OK.

I think sapphire was just trying to let off some steam, I don't really think she meant to be as offensive as she appeared so let's not go make it an eye for an eye...

I personally don't mind some logos and karaoke and group crediting, it's just that some groups' aesthetic sense really does not agree with mine. For example Anime-Keep's famous Chrno Crusade with that huge logo (and... uh.. the bullet + cross thing if I'm not wrong.) Some things I like are less intrusive stuff like Anime-Empire's Midori no Hibi logo.
The perfect thing would be if groups put their credits in the eye-catch (because it really shows that the group members aren't so interested in ego) but: 1. you can't fit all credits in eye-catch if lots of people contributed 2. Not all shows have eyecatch.
Of course, this is all entirely a matter of personal TASTE. I can certainly accept and understand the reason why people do such things... I simply get a better impression of people who don't.

If I ever headed a fansubbing group with like-minded members I think I'd have asked for credits to be put in the eyecatch or maybe just quickly in the ED... something like this: you have the series logo, and when they show that you just add in your group name and perhaps IRC channel unobtrusively... and then member credits go right at the back, maybe even just a small black frame after the whole video (only downside is people can easily remove this and put onto pirated VCDs...).
Of course, part of human life is about ego and encouragement and some people would function better if they were given more recognition.
Old 2004-04-14, 09:27   Link #31
anthonyxscotland
Highlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokawa
i
Honestly sometimes, well everytime i watch fansubbed materials, i wish those licensed ppl would hire fansub grps to do the subbing. buying dvd is scary since most of time they aren't up to expectations. vcd are better. fansubs the best.

Oh yes getting a pro to do the translation and actually getting high quality masters and putting them on dvd is worse than fansubbing. I would happily compare the fansubs of any show and then the dvd release and show you the improvement in audio, visual, translation and general quality.

And V-CD being better, hehehehehe, pull the other one.
Old 2004-04-14, 10:45   Link #32
Gold_Rogers
Famous Dead Pirate

I remember some VHS fansubs I've watched. What they did was put the group's name on the title screen, put the lyrics and translation in the OP, then list the long credits in the ED (along with the lyrics and translation). They'd also have romaji or the original japanese lyrics in alternating episodes instead of cluttering the screen with both (well, sometimes it clutters the screen cause there's so much of it heh).
Old 2004-04-14, 10:59   Link #33
Sergejack

Send a message via MSN to Sergejack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketsu-Kun

Sometime I see fansub group whose thinking they own the anime.

They're just about to say "Our animes".
And if you say something like "That anime sucks!", they'll get mad about it!

And when I see some "Pretence-team present you :", I just think "Yet another one"
Old 2004-04-14, 12:08   Link #34
Banisher
Wannabe Magical Girl

Because groups work on shows they especially like? When you like something very much, you tend to be easily pissed off when someone else attacks it, even more when the critic is as constructive as "It sucks". Some people won't give a shit to such things, while other may get quite angry.

To get back on topic, I watched Pretty Cure ep 1 by Shoujo, and it was nothing compared to some stuff done on Chrno Crusade. I don't even remind it, so I guess it was not intrusive enough
Old 2004-04-14, 13:04   Link #35
dee
dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxNarutoFanxX
Here comes all the legal terms. I am trying my best in Government and Law class and actually I am doing really well.

I am pretty sure people in Japan dont mind. Cause if the series is popular they might actually make a load more money for getting it licensed. So why bother to rant on something so silly and waste your time on a forum. We are doing the Japanese a favor arent we?
Um... actually you're not doing the Japanese a favor. The days of spreading awareness are long gone. Most shows that digisubbers work on are already licensed before it's produced. In addition, some companies are co producers. Hence, Urban Vision (Ninja Scroll) or ADV (Grrl Power) However, it's not announced until the company releases the info and that sometimes is usually broadcast at cons.

Last edited by dee; 2004-04-14 at 13:23.
Old 2004-04-14, 20:14   Link #36
SirCanealot
What? I am washed up!

Send a message via MSN to SirCanealot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucier
o_O
Since when do we put credits in our intros/endings >.<

*smacks all bakas -_-

Yeah, and that's annoying. I was watching through your KgNE a while ago (at long last) and I was like "Rah, some of the work on these subs is really nice, I'm going to pay attention to the credits in the next episodes and see who does what." And then what happens? I notice there are no credits. Are you telling me I have to go to your website to see who does what in your group? Are you insane? Do you think I can actually be bothered to do that? I hope you all fall to hell and be burned for creating my ignorance. Also the op looked kinda bland without the credits on, I have to admit I think it looks better with credits on. Oh my days, if you don't add credits to your future releases, I'm going to come along and blow you all up.

Oh my god, if you didn't know I was half joking, I'm going to come and blow you all up.

Quote:
I believe the fansubber's usage of "presented by" is not incorrect as they are bringing the show for you to view in a language that you can understand.
I second this completely. It doesn't matter if we're giving you a slice of bread, or even a raw. We're still presenting it to you: The public. What is it about double standards? You want all this perfect editing, and then you complain when we use the word "presented" properly? Pfffffft :P
Old 2004-04-14, 21:56   Link #37
MasafumiGotoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee
Um... actually you're not doing the Japanese a favor. The days of spreading awareness are long gone. Most shows that digisubbers work on are already licensed before it's produced. In addition, some companies are co producers. Hence, Urban Vision (Ninja Scroll) or ADV (Grrl Power) However, it's not announced until the company releases the info and that sometimes is usually broadcast at cons.
Thats when the fansub groups get notified. They remove all the torrents of the site case closed. Just remember the black market is not inevitable. Nothing is inevitable. Companies know that. Everyone should know that.

The point is we are doing the Japanese a favor. For example Naruto. OMG I bet there are better ratings in the USA than there is in Japan. Just gotta check Newtype for the facts. Since many people i know in school know about Naruto, people in CS which are all over the world, and pretty much everygame I play where I have a naruto name most people know of it. OMG even the people in The Screen Savers know it! They were playing the a certain Naruto track(part of it) in thier Dark Ages week on thier Wi Fi access points in LA. I bet the Japanese are monitoring some trackers. To see the results. These things come in Terabytes. Thier price tag will be big. Very Big. One more thing Naruto airs late at night. So most little kids dont get to watch it. Tough. Ratings go down........

Now I know Naruto will be hard to sell if it gets licensed. I also bet American companies may license episodes x-xx cause the pricetag is probaly too high. But think of all the profit from the toys, video games posters and anything else the we can think of. Naruto TCG. Not a bad idea. Yu gi Oh TCG is quite a hit(well maybe because the anime was about dueling). I can tell. Imagine Funimation ruining it though. Just Imagine they licensed Naruto like 5 years after we see it all!(maybe even earlier since the revenues they pulled in from little kids that think that was the best anime ever)

Besides basically every anime friend I come accross has a copy of Ninja Scroll. They also know the "black market." But DVD's quality will always beat a show ripped from television. I know that by a fact. Also the extras included is pretty nice.

Last edited by MasafumiGotoh; 2004-04-14 at 22:22. Reason: For various reasons and to make this uncontraditable
Old 2004-04-14, 23:35   Link #38
Tofusensei

Send a message via AIM to Tofusensei
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxNarutoFanxX
Thats when the fansub groups get notified. They remove all the torrents of the site case closed. Just remember the black market is not inevitable. Nothing is inevitable. Companies know that. Everyone should know that.

The point is we are doing the Japanese a favor. For example Naruto. OMG I bet there are better ratings in the USA than there is in Japan. Just gotta check Newtype for the facts. Since many people i know in school know about Naruto, people in CS which are all over the world, and pretty much everygame I play where I have a naruto name most people know of it. OMG even the people in The Screen Savers know it! They were playing the a certain Naruto track(part of it) in thier Dark Ages week on thier Wi Fi access points in LA. I bet the Japanese are monitoring some trackers. To see the results. These things come in Terabytes. Thier price tag will be big. Very Big. One more thing Naruto airs late at night. So most little kids dont get to watch it. Tough. Ratings go down........

Now I know Naruto will be hard to sell if it gets licensed. I also bet American companies may license episodes x-xx cause the pricetag is probaly too high. But think of all the profit from the toys, video games posters and anything else the we can think of. Naruto TCG. Not a bad idea. Yu gi Oh TCG is quite a hit(well maybe because the anime was about dueling). I can tell. Imagine Funimation ruining it though. Just Imagine they licensed Naruto like 5 years after we see it all!(maybe even earlier since the revenues they pulled in from little kids that think that was the best anime ever)

Besides basically every anime friend I come accross has a copy of Ninja Scroll. They also know the "black market." But DVD's quality will always beat a show ripped from television. I know that by a fact. Also the extras included is pretty nice.
My, you're ignorant.

Naruto is many many many times more popular in Japan than it ever will be in America. Late at night? It airs at SEVEN PM! That's Japan's prime-time. They couldn't ask for a better time-slot.

Japan does not need fansubs to make Naruto popular outside Japan, it'd make a ton of money regardless of whether or not everyone has already seen it because it is a proven money maker both in and out of asia.

-Tofu
Old 2004-04-15, 00:41   Link #39
DekaMaster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofusensei
My, you're ignorant.

Naruto is many many many times more popular in Japan than it ever will be in America. Late at night? It airs at SEVEN PM! That's Japan's prime-time. They couldn't ask for a better time-slot.

Japan does not need fansubs to make Naruto popular outside Japan, it'd make a ton of money regardless of whether or not everyone has already seen it because it is a proven money maker both in and out of asia.

-Tofu

Can we close this thread now since it has degraded into name calling?
Old 2004-04-15, 01:10   Link #40
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

I suppose so. "Ignorant" is a pretty tame example of name calling, but this thread never was a very good idea in the first place. This just caps it off.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Closed Thread