AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-04-27, 18:26   Link #181
Kempis Curious
:love::love::love:

Location: Loving a peaceful life in San Clemente, California.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiro
i have two sisters and both have children. if i were told that they just went out of the house without supervision (they are about te same age as yuzuyu) i would rush outside and be calling/searching for them in an instant instead of just standing in the living room and debating, where they might go to.

yes, it was only a minor occurence but it really got me thinking "wtf are you doing? run out there now!"
I was thinking the same thing, except I would have first slapped the newspaper out of his hands and punched him in the stomach for letting the little girl leave like that.

But maybe there is a cultural difference in Japan to allow children to walk around like that. In the U.S. everyone is very paranoid about child abduction by strangers, though it's actually very rare.

And how about that new anime villian?
Spoiler:

For me, one of the most compelling things about this anime is the realism to most of our lives. Since most of us live in countries where there is no war, rebel ninjas, alien invaders, etc... the greatest injustices around us are the abandonment, abuse, and predation on children. At least, it seems that way to me, anyways.

-k

curious

Last edited by Kempis Curious; 2004-04-27 at 18:46.
Kempis Curious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-27, 19:00   Link #182
PocariSweat
ポカリが?どんな動物ですか?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kempis Curious
ugh, she's already near the top of the Kempis Curious List of Hated Anime Villians.
You know this obsessed girl is the one storyline I'm not so fond of in the show...

(note: spoiler is very minor and not "dangerous" if you've seen ep4 - just talking about the character)

Spoiler:

Last edited by PocariSweat; 2004-04-27 at 20:21.
PocariSweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-27, 19:22   Link #183
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Spoiler:
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-27, 20:07   Link #184
PocariSweat
ポカリが?どんな動物ですか?

Oh, and just to chime in on the a.f.k vs Lunar thing. I wonder how many people have watched both? I have, and to be honest I'm a bit torn. A.f.k does have the better fonts and a slightly better encode - I was initially going to collect their releases. However, I have to say Lunar's translations have been a bit better.

There's a few places where a.f.k left me a bit confused that Lunar handled more clearly (for example in the first episode (at around 7:50) when Kippei asks "tokoro de 'jouhatsu' te nani?" a.f.k translated it as "and yeah... what does 'without a trace' mean?" - I thought Kippei was asking what Satsuki really meant by "without a trace" (as if he was trying to imply something more). Lunar explained Kippei simply didn't understand what the word "jouhatsu" meant! Ah, ok that makes sense. The a.f.k. translation isn't wrong, but "without a trace" is just too simple a phrase in English to convey the idea that the original Japanese word was too high-faluten' for Kippei to understand.

Of course, there's a few cases where I like a.f.k's translation better too - really I should know better than to watch different releases. It always makes me want to take the bits I like from both and cut-n-paste 'em together! Still, you can't really go wrong with either one. For me Lunar wins, but just by a Yuzuyu no hanasaki!
Old 2004-04-27, 20:46   Link #185
Strato
Sunshine-Rainbows

I don't know where you learned your English, but when someone asks "What does 'without a trace' mean," that's blatantly implying that he doesn't know what it means. Jouhatsu isn't particularly difficult, Kippei's just ignorant. Leaving jouhatsu untranslated would just be laziness on the translator's part.
Strato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-27, 20:59   Link #186
PocariSweat
ポカリが?どんな動物ですか?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strato
I don't know where you learned your English, but when someone asks "What does 'without a trace' mean," that's blatantly implying that he doesn't know what it means. Jouhatsu isn't particularly difficult, Kippei's just ignorant. Leaving jouhatsu untranslated would just be laziness on the translator's part.
Well thanks for bringing your attitude into this whole thing! Really, if you can believe someone in high school would not understand what "without a trace" literally means I pity your education system. So I guess when someone ask "what does love mean?" or "what is the meaning of life?" you'd assume they never heard the words "love" or "life" before? Oooh, yeah - excellent grasp of English there buddy!

P.S. Neither Lunar nor A.f.k left "jouhatsu" untranslated - Lunar just added an explanation as well, so I don't undersand who you're calling lazy?

Last edited by PocariSweat; 2004-04-27 at 21:12.
Old 2004-04-27, 21:51   Link #187
Strato
Sunshine-Rainbows

Love and life are two of the few exceptions where "What does _ mean?" implies something beyond a definition. I don't see how "without a trace" could have any deeper meaning. Tagging a note is laziness because an effective translation would not require a note to explain. The Japanese line doesn't add an extra explanation to say that Kippei doesn't understand. It's not some obscure Japanese cultural thing that requires additional information to understand. As for Kippei not knowing what "without a trace" means, I'm not the one who wrote the script, Yoko Maki is, so blame her for making an ignorant character.
Strato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-27, 22:24   Link #188
PocariSweat
ポカリが?どんな動物ですか?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strato
Love and life are two of the few exceptions where "What does _ mean?" implies something beyond a definition. .
No, this applies to most any kind of phrase...

Person 1: Boy I really wish you wouldn't wear those kind of close in public
Person 2: Oh... and what does "those kind of clothes" mean?!

Person 1: You know I think that person is a little suspicious.
Person 2: Really, what does "a little suspicious" mean exactly?

Quote:
I don't see how "without a trace" could have any deeper meaning.
well...

Person1: Did you hear my house vanished without a trace!
Person2: Ah yeah... and what does "without a trace" mean?
Person1: Well look - it's just a vacant lot now!
Person2: Baka! turn around and look behind you.
Person1: Oh, that's where it went!

Generally, when someone asks what a phrase (rather than a single word) means, they're saying they want you to elaborate further - not that they want you to give them a word-for-word definition. This is especially true for a well know (even cliched) phrase like this. The problem here is that it's hard to find a single English word to replace the Japanese one. Lunar must have realized this, so took some extra effort to explain things. Note that they didn't do this when Satsuki used it because there would have been no confusion (although they translated it to "mysteriously vanished" ).

I found Lunar's explanation helpful myself. I have no idea what you mean by "I don't know where you learned your English" (see how that works!), but it seems an awfully insulting attitude to take for no reason. Especially because I was hardly very critical of a.f.k. - both subbers do fine work, so why cop such an attitude? Are you personally involved with them or something?
Old 2004-04-28, 00:37   Link #189
SpikeS095
Fighting Stupidity

Sorry, the correct cliche is "what do you mean by _". "What does _ mean" implies exactly that, what is the meaning of _____________. "What do you mean by _" is the case you are describing.

IMHO the note is rather useless.
SpikeS095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-28, 04:49   Link #190
Secca
nya`
*Artist

btw is it just me or the Aone version doesn't have animax logo. did they remove it or different raw?
Old 2004-04-28, 05:01   Link #191
marin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secca
btw is it just me or the Aone version doesn't have animax logo. did they remove it or different raw?
They must have successfully used a logo removal filter?

One thing AnimeOne does is put more effort into their encoding than anyone else.
marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-28, 06:13   Link #192
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
i'm a little disapointed of the eps 3 & 4. too slow for my tastes, nothing really happened. i'll still watch the show though.
I can't agree given that Yuzuyu was traumatized in episode 4.
Quote:
what really aggrevated me was the scene were kippei and his sister had an argument and yuzuyu went out of the house...
Kippei's sister is apparently what is known in Japan as a "parasite single," a young woman or man who does not seek to get married (and thus move into a new household) but also does not leave the parent's home despite having gainful employment. More important than postponing or rejecting marriage, the idea of "parasite" is about allowing the parents to bear the major financial burdens, doing the housekeeping etc.

I thought in the first episode that she was very selfish and thoughtless in giving Yuzuyu to Kippei to raise "in order to give him responsibility" as if Yuzuyu were a puppy or something. Kippei is still very young; he doesn't quite have the sense to keep Yuzuyu with him when they are both outside, as has been demonstrated twice in 4 episodes.

The whole family has a very sick attitude. If Yuzuyu was treated decently by anyone except Kippei there would be no way that some stranger would be able to convince her in 2 minutes that she was hated by the family. I fervently hope that the story is being told this way to make a point about this and that the family will be shown to mend their ways.

I also hope that the sick stalker girl is pushed quietly out of the story never to return. I really don't care what her problem is and I would hate for the story to dwell in her sick little world. It would be OK for a horror story but not here.
babbito2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-28, 06:38   Link #193
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Episode 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocariSweat
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2004-04-28, 06:51   Link #194
Kiro
chocolate overdose

hmm, yeah. it's not like nothing happened in the last eps. but the way they tell the story, sometimes it's just so slow.

does anyone remember the scene in neo genesis evangelion, where the main protagonist is in his EVA-unit and holds the last angel (the blond hair guy) for an eternity (2 minutes?) in his hands until he crushes him?

sometimes i have the same feeling in this series, only that it doesn't take THAT long. i can't really say, it's boring though. i like the show. but sometimes it's just too slow paced for me and i wished they would move on with the story.
Kiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-28, 07:52   Link #195
bluemist
i am the mist

Actually I kinda timed that scene from EVA and it was exactly 1 minute BTW.

It's slow paced because it faithfully follows the manga so far, chapter by chapter...
bluemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-28, 08:01   Link #196
PocariSweat
ポカリが?どんな動物ですか?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeS095
Sorry, the correct cliche is "what do you mean by _". "What does _ mean" implies exactly that, what is the meaning of _____________. "What do you mean by _" is the case you are describing.

IMHO the note is rather useless.
Actually no. Using "by" can still be taken either way - it doesn't always eliminate the ambiguity...

Professor: The reaction is endothermic.
Student: Professor, what do you mean by "endothermic"?

Likewise not using "by" doen't mean you want a definition...

John: Marsha, I'm afraid it's over.....
Marsha: (sob) what do you mean "it's over", John?
John: I mean, we're through...
Marsha: Oh thank goodness John, I don't think I could cut another onion...

This type of usage is a perfectly common form of speech.
Old 2004-04-28, 08:40   Link #197
PocariSweat
ポカリが?どんな動物ですか?

Quote:
Originally Posted by babbito2k
I also hope that the sick stalker girl is pushed quietly out of the story never to return. I really don't care what her problem is and I would hate for the story to dwell in her sick little world. It would be OK for a horror story but not here.
I agree - maybe the author thought to add some suspense, but that kind of creepyness just seems out of place.

I really don't mind the slow pace of the show. For me it's the more realistic characters that make it interesting - I'm not expecting laser battles or them to suddenly have to fight youma.
Old 2004-04-28, 10:50   Link #198
Xie

Quote:
Originally Posted by babbito2k
I thought in the first episode that she was very selfish and thoughtless in giving Yuzuyu to Kippei to raise "in order to give him responsibility" as if Yuzuyu were a puppy or something. Kippei is still very young; he doesn't quite have the sense to keep Yuzuyu with him when they are both outside, as has been demonstrated twice in 4 episodes.

The whole family has a very sick attitude. If Yuzuyu was treated decently by anyone except Kippei there would be no way that some stranger would be able to convince her in 2 minutes that she was hated by the family. I fervently hope that the story is being told this way to make a point about this and that the family will be shown to mend their ways.

I have to disagree here. Firstly, I don't think Kippei is to young, I think he's just to inexperienced. He's expecting Yuzuyu to act with common sense, something that parents know is pretty lacking in young kids. It's especially hard for someone who isn't a parent, such as Kippei, to understand that a five year old who can talk well and reason things out still hasn't gained total impulse control (the running after the hat). I don't think that has anything to do with age but solely with experience with young children.

I also don't agree that the family is truly dysfunctional. From episode 4 it seems pretty obvious that Kippei's sister has yet to find a steady or well paying job but that she is looking for one. Also I think no matter how the family acted towards Yuzuyu she could easily be lead to believe or question whether or not they love her. From the few flashbacks shown it seems that Yuzuyu's mother was quite loving yet she left Yuzuyu. Kids at that age don't have the same reasoning abilites that an adult does. The fact that her mother left even though she loves Yuzuyu is a pretty strange concept to a kid. What is much easier for them to understand would be "I thought mommy loved me but she left, so everyone will leave me even if they say they love me, maybe they all really hate me?" It's probably been in the back of Yuzuyu's mind for quite awhile and it was stalker girl saying it that just confirmed something she was already thinking.

In fact if we really want to get into reality a child like Yuzuyu would be a good candidate for getting RAD (Reactive Attachment Disorder) where because a child is never shown love, abandoned, or otherwise experiences a traumatic event with a parental figure they are unable to form an attachment to anyone. Actually you could even say it seems like she has a very minor case of this, which is totally reasonable.

As far as stalker girl
Spoiler:
Xie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-28, 11:30   Link #199
RPGWizard
Olde Skool Hooligan

Send a message via AIM to RPGWizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocariSweat
Actually no. Using "by" can still be taken either way - it doesn't always eliminate the ambiguity...

Professor: The reaction is endothermic.
Student: Professor, what do you mean by "endothermic"?

Likewise not using "by" doen't mean you want a definition...

John: Marsha, I'm afraid it's over.....
Marsha: (sob) what do you mean "it's over", John?
John: I mean, we're through...
Marsha: Oh thank goodness John, I don't think I could cut another onion...

This type of usage is a perfectly common form of speech.
The difference is not the actual words used, but the situation and intent, along with tone of voice, body language, etc. "Without a trace" can mean many different things. It can mean kidnapped, it can mean the person simply vanished of their own accord, etc.

Taking english literally is just like taking sarcasm literally. It turns you into a belligerent a$$.....

BTW, I'm not just replying to PocariSweat, but to everyone so far involved with this argument about the "without a trace" bit.....So don't take this personally, just generally in a figuratively personal direction.
RPGWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-28, 11:55   Link #200
PocariSweat
ポカリが?どんな動物ですか?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGWizard
The difference is not the actual words used, but the situation and intent, along with tone of voice, body language, etc. "Without a trace" can mean many different things. It can mean kidnapped, it can mean the person simply vanished of their own accord, etc.
That was my point really - it can be taken differnet ways. When I watched the a.f.k version I thought Kippei was asking Satsuki if he knew anything more about how/why the aunt vanished or if there was something he wasn't being told. It wasn't until I saw the Lunar version that I understood what he didn't understand! Maybe I was the only one to find this ambiguous, and Lunar put the explanation in for me alone. If so - thanks Lunar!

P.S. Reading the manga I see the translator found a way to avoid the whole mess - their Kippei says to Satsuki "Hey are you really just 12? Why are you using advanced words like 'vanished'?"

Tags
drama, romance