AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2004-05-18, 02:36   Link #21
TronDD
Team the box!

Religion is not above the law, regardless. If your religion demands human sacrifice, too bad. You can't do it.
TronDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-18, 03:50   Link #22
paladin
blah

Send a message via ICQ to paladin Send a message via AIM to paladin Send a message via Yahoo to paladin
You wanna know what kind of flak a group like ANBU gets?

Its not hard to find it, take for example all the crap we got for discontinuing FMA once it got licensed...

Tidbits include being called cowards, greedy, hell go read them for yourself: http://www.anbudom.net/news/comments.php?id=7

Fansubbing is pretty ungreatful, lots of people take it for granted.
paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-18, 04:33   Link #23
SirCanealot
What? I am washed up!

Send a message via MSN to SirCanealot
ichido reichan, that was a problem one other member of our other group had unfortunately been experiencing. As far as we know, the problem is only with .ogm as it sucks. I'm not sure if he actually fixed it, but if you did, you'd be able to enjoy the same thing everyone else has: Subs which don't "stain" the video and can be turned on or off at will. Anyway, people who can't work out how to run .mkvs don't deserve to run them. I don't see Jesus Crhist ever having a problem running .mkv. Now if Jesus Christ had problems, then I KNOW we'd have a real problem.
(yes, the last 3 sentances were 75% sarcasm.........)

And I'm sure that group was trying to work with you, but you just went crazy and started releaseing on your own.

Paladin: I didn't even read that, but yes. I'd say: "MORE WHINERS/IDIOTS". Dude, I can't wait till Naruto is licenced. It's going to be like that, only much, much, much, much, much worse.
SirCanealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-20, 13:34   Link #24
ichido reichan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCanealot

And I'm sure that group was trying to work with you, but you just went crazy and started releaseing on your own.

Paladin: I didn't even read that, but yes. I'd say: "MORE WHINERS/IDIOTS". Dude, I can't wait till Naruto is licenced. It's going to be like that, only much, much, much, much, much worse.
A thousand thanks SirCanealot san, but there is a limit of how much crap I can stand, and "that group" surpassed the line, and so far, they are in the same "level" much like when I left.. you know...releases every two months of stuff that is already out, y'know, it takes less time to copy and paste scripts, right?
ichido reichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-20, 14:56   Link #25
SirCanealot
What? I am washed up!

You simply don't apriciate the level of time it takes in producing a qulity fansub in the DIGISUB ERA (note: the VHS fansub era was like 50 years ago). Copy and pasting a script does not take less time when the script contains 300 lines of badly timed dialog, the video is messed up and hard to compress and the current translation dirty and in need of improvement. Hell, I didn't see you offering to retime the scripts, which would have accounted for a good chunk of the time.

If you want to throw around Anime Junkies levels of effort (or actually, even lower), well, that's fine. But don't pull anyone else who does a good job on something (even if they are slow) down to your level; as quality does not mean an hours work ripping a DVD with Gordian Knot and applying 5 year old scripts hard subbed to it.

Why don't you look at the groups that "already have our stuff out" and look at why we - and other slow groups - take large ammounts of time more in release our product...
Old 2004-05-20, 18:25   Link #26
ichido reichan

Quote:

Why don't you look at the groups that "already have our stuff out" and look at why we - and other slow groups - take large ammounts of time more in release our product...

oh yeah, that 60 people who DL your episodes were awful grateful...

and by the way... "the copy and paste scripts" stuff, I didnt mean for K-G but for other series well known as planet-something, and since the translator is lazy... lalala
Old 2004-05-20, 18:52   Link #27
SirCanealot
What? I am washed up!

Actually it's more like 150 :P
And I'd like to think out of those 150, most of them actually apriciate the pains with go through in the way we sub... insted of being random Naruto leacher #2532 who doesn't have a clue.

And anyway, WTF? If you'd actually bothered checking our scripts to the other groups subbing the series, you may notice how different our scripts are
Old 2004-05-21, 12:49   Link #28
ichido reichan

Quote:
And anyway, WTF? If you'd actually bothered checking our scripts to the other groups subbing the series, you may notice how different our scripts are
oh yeah, I did, awesome edition but I can't say "translation"...
Old 2004-05-21, 14:39   Link #29
SpikeS095
Fighting Stupidity

Please stop pimping Anime-Blitz. You don't have to respond to every single fansub/anime-related post describing how Anime-Blitz would/could/should have/might possibly do something. I haven't been able to read a single thread in this forum without being reminded that you're a member of Anime-Blitz, and that Anime-Blitz is the greatest group. If you haven't noticed, neither you nor your group has a very good reputation on this forum, and it isn't because you "take large ammounts of time more in release our product". When you release an inferior sub weeks after a quality group has already released, you're not going to get the recognition that you think you deserve. Yes, I'm aware that I'm giving you flack in the "how much flack" thread. Yes, I'm aware that you're supposed to share experiences in this thread. But seriously, you need to lose this aura of superiority. None of your subs are "quality subs" as of yet (For starters, I seriously think you should consider getting another editor). Throw around suggestions and examples if you deem it necessary, but stop hyping up your contribution and your group in every single thread. No one wants to hear it. Yes, we are thankful that you take your time to fansub. You don't have to rub it in our faces, especially when other groups do it better and faster.

EDIT: And learn to take criticism. "I can't be bothered to..." is not a valid argument. Stop saying it.

Last edited by SpikeS095; 2004-05-21 at 15:23.
SpikeS095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-21, 14:55   Link #30
Tofusensei

Send a message via AIM to Tofusensei
oooooooh

oh no he didn't

-Tofu
Tofusensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-21, 15:03   Link #31
Kyoji
I WANT MORE MILK!

edit: just delete this, i cant be arsed
Kyoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-21, 16:21   Link #32
StormD
D is for Damage!

Send a message via ICQ to StormD Send a message via AIM to StormD

This thread just took a detour through what-ville.
StormD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-21, 18:07   Link #33
Enragin_Angel
ナマケモノ

I'm eagerly waiting a reply from the Anime-Blitz staff...probably a "who are you to criticize me" defense. Either that or the staff mods are going to lock this up before things get too heated.
Enragin_Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-21, 18:59   Link #34
7thMethuselah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enragin_Angel
I'm eagerly waiting a reply from the Anime-Blitz staff...probably a "who are you to criticize me" defense. Either that or the staff mods are going to lock this up before things get too heated.
Anime-Blitz is a relatively new group trying to earn respect by not jumping on the "let's take a popular series / Naruto " train in order to have lotsa dl. Sure they're work ain't perfect but cut them some slack will ya, I prefer a group that tries to pick series no one else does and attempts to get name and fame that way. This contrary to Naruto speedsubbers.

Over time they will improve, no one is perfect at first.

PS I am eternally gratefull towards anime-blitz for finishing E's Otherwise a long time ago after that series was stalled/dropped by everyone else
7thMethuselah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-21, 19:15   Link #35
ichido reichan

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enragin_Angel
Hey, I didnt bring any names here, and I was not talking about anime blitz!!! and since the "flock" topic was around I wanted to share some experiences, and so far...Im laughing baby.

Boy, are this people always looking for a flame war, and you know what?

Yeah, Im big, Im cool and my support to the anime fansub scene is crushing my heart at the point that I cant give 'em enough, Im so jealous of me for being the one that I am... I have to punch myself to feel some pain besides the blissness that is feel to wake up in the morning and still being me everyday.

and I remind you that "my group" is just me, my wife and my 5 year old computer that still crashes for ridiculous reasons, my wife learned to be an encoder in 2 days with the "encoding anime for dummies" and she has barely time to throw an episode every week and a half. never said that I was the best though but certain "seasoned groups" with more members cant release something in a timely manner, not that Im complaining that they are taking too long to release stuff, is because it is annoying that you believe that they are dead and disbanded already and it came to mind that they are not dead, just waiting for scripts!!!

Oh and dont get me started on the script topic, the forum of "help wanted" need to be changed to "we are recruiting translators " or "we are recruiting good editors so it doesnt look like we are ***** the ******* of other groups"
(again, no references, no names, drop the bomb and wait for the hurtin'ones so if you are not offended, this topic is obviously not for ya)

look!! bakasan is laughing!!!!

bwahahahaha!!!!!
Old 2004-05-21, 19:30   Link #36
SpikeS095
Fighting Stupidity

ichido reichan: Apparently you thought I was addressing you. I wasn't.
And for the record, I'm not trying to flame Anime-Blitz. In fact, they deserve props for picking up Highschool Kimengumi. I'm merely stating my displeasure at the posts made by Canealot. That is all.
Old 2004-05-21, 19:35   Link #37
ichido reichan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeS095
ichido reichan: Apparently you thought I was addressing you. I wasn't.
And for the record, I'm not trying to flame Anime-Blitz. In fact, they deserve props for picking up Highschool Kimengumi. I'm merely stating my displeasure at the posts made by Canealot. That is all.
Uhm, yeah, kinda missing new projects around here y'know, but with old releases we are not moving the wheel forward, objective of the fansub, is'n it?
Old 2004-05-21, 20:02   Link #38
SirCanealot
What? I am washed up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeS095
Please stop pimping Anime-Blitz.......
You know nothing. This topic has nothing to do with my group.

Quote:
When you release an inferior sub weeks after a quality group has already released, you're not going to get the recognition that you think you deserve.
Since when did I give out opinions on our group's stuff(allthough, if you ask, I'll be happy to ramble about that too)? All I stated was: that we spend a lot of time on it. Which, I might add, is mostly down to my lazyness, and the ammount of time I like to spend timing. Anyway, if you look at it from a Mathimatical perspective, it still adds up. The total time we spend working on a single episode probably isn't that much more than any other group, and a lot more than HE would spend ripping a DVD with gordian knot and rendering 5 year old subtitle scripts over it.

Quote:
But seriously, you need to lose this aura of superiority.
No such aura exists, I believe in the stupidity of human kind, no any form of "superiority". Certainly, I do not believe ourselves to be superiour in anyway to any other quality group out there - eg, ones that are not speed subbers.

Actually, this aura of "superiority" you perceive is probably somewhat related to my dry sense of humour and sarcasm, that comes out in these forums a lot of the time. When I once asked someone else in my group what they thought of me, he said something along the same lines. I don't mean to come out as arrogant, or superiour, but I know this is how I DO come over as sometimes, but that's just me. Live with it, or spend 10 minutes in #AS playing get to know you, then maybe laugh along at me, insted of throwing hammers at me.

And if you have any opinions on our releases, you should post them in our forum. Especially those relating to editing - as that is something I do a good portion of and take great care in. Or maybe that was just a sarcastic joke? Actually, tell me what's wrong with it, and give me some examples. I'd wouldn't say no to discussing that in a proper manner, as I'm always opening for criticism of our editing; as English is a wonderful thing, in which I believe many, many people have a very good, valid, different viewpoint on.

Quote:
I'm eagerly waiting a reply from the Anime-Blitz staff...probably a "who are you to criticize me" defense.
Nothing so amusing I'm afraid... There shall be no such reply from "Anime-Blitz staff", as they have nothing to do with this. I'm posting as me. The reason I don't have any references to my group in my sig, or title anymore, is because I don't like to be automatically associated to my group, and likewise, I don't like it to be assumed that my rantings coincide with the opinions of the other persons in AB. Yes, I admit I sometimes use my status as a member of a fansub group in these forums to give weight to my opinions, or to talk under the cloak of experience. But above all, I'm a Anime fan, and also a critic of all things; including fansubbing. I don't see why you people say we have a bad "reputation". Do I stand for all of my group? No. Yes, I also understand that our "reptutation" is due to the actions of our group-encoder, but he is currently being punished by way of me calling him "monkey" for a while. Just because I share some different views than others; I don't see why this should mean my group is sullied.... but maybe that's just me ^_^

Quote:
my wife learned to be an encoder in 2 days with the "encoding anime for dummies" and she has barely time to throw an episode every week and a half.
If that's all it takes to be considered an "encoder", I become a Marine Bioligist in 20 minutes after watching the Discovery Channel...

Quote:
Anime-Blitz is a relatively new group trying to earn respect by not jumping on the...
Actually, I wouldn't say "respect" plays any part of it. I for one am just someone who likes ocationally pulling up a mat with Sub Station Alpha, timing a few scripts and throwing a few random words into a line here and there. And UPS happens to be the series we're working on right now. If a series came out that I REALLY wanted to sub, but it was being subbed by 50 other groups, then by god, I hope I'd try my best to get the group to work on it. Screw subbing shows that are or are not being subbed. I'd like to say I work on shows I really want to put my time and effort into - and while UPS isn't the best who in the world, I've still had some good times with it (mostly lauging at Howard, who owns everyone in this thread for free, I mean it's true, if any of you was Howard he'd have said "WTF, Your ass is grass as soon as I tell my papa"). I don't know if anyone else in our group subs for "respect", but it's certainly not me. And yes, no worries on E's Otherwise. I for one loved working on that, heh. I'm glad to see A.F.K. started releasing it again. I love their stuff to bits...
And I'd have said we've improved a lot since we first started with E's... looking back over those early episodes makes me shudder...

Err, I must once again give my apoligies for ranting, but I just finished watching some anime, and I felt like talking. I'm sorry it had to be about such a negative, or even controversal subject...
Old 2004-05-21, 20:27   Link #39
Somedude

I submit this thread as an example of the flak we have to take.
Somedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-21, 20:44   Link #40
SpikeS095
Fighting Stupidity

I already pointed out that I was straying off topic.

This has nothing to do with Anime-Blitz. I'm not giving your group any flak at all. I am merely fed up with Canealot's insistence on playing up his contribution in most of his posts. Again, if this is how your personality comes across as, then so be it. I just don't think you need to make it a well known fact that you fansub in every single post. The cloak of experience that you speak of is exactly what has given you and your group a poor reputation (although it is improving.)

As for editing-related suggestions, you should perhaps glance over your own posts. I would have made a suggestion, but SomeDude posted a prime example of criticism in one of your E's Otherwise comment threads (something about you not knowing the proper usage of apostrophes and the usage of your/you're was particularly alarming). Again, if you're making the strides to improve, then more power to you. It seems as from the tone of that post that SomeDude joined your staff to improve the editing; if so, it's great to see that you're looking to improve. Just remember that sometimes, no matter how much time you put into it, there is only so much that you can do by yourself.

Your reputation is due to some slightly misguided arguments on your part (see: Level 3 karaoke and your conversations regarding Viz on AOD). While I realize you act on your own accord and not as a voice of your group, you do have to realize that your actions reflect poorly on your group. When you are making statements about DVD mastering that simply aren't true, one has no alternative but to doubt the merits of your group's encoding.

I notice that your motivations are pure; just remember that you aren't the only fansubber out there; if you didn't share so many of your historically flawed arguments, perhaps the board would view you in a better light. Hence, my suggestion: don't play up your contribution. Take the time to question and answer. When you've been proven wrong you often answer with a "I can't be bothered..." instead of accepting criticism (although that's been changing as of late). I'm tired of reading "Is anyone going to sub ..." threads because you have a habit of posting about Anime-Blitz in there. We already know you fansub and that you care. You don't have to remind us constantly. Just some advice. Take it or leave it.

That's all I have to say on this subject. Apologies to the mods if this thread bothered them.