AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2004-05-23, 13:43   Link #61
Sanjuronord
セクシーなパイロット

I'm for grabbing both at the moment. Imagine both will have great games though a bunch of sony's e3 stuff, w/ the exception of metal gear acid, seemed to just show it playing movies (spiderman and ff7 advent children) the DS on the other hand pretty much already has several titles named and going for it.

There's also some great possibilities with using the dual screen stylus thing, from the videos I've seen of people playing that metroid game on there it seems to be able to imitate a mouse pretty well which would be a huge plus to me at least in the fps catagory. Few console fps's have ever really been able to compare to the mouse keyboard setup on the comp(Halo coming close but still leaving something to be desired).

For the pervs or those wishing adult games, I know team ninja mentioned they committed to making a game for the ds on tech tv (or whatever they call themselves now that g4 bought em out) and even mentioned the possibility of a doa beach volleyball on ds where you could "touch" the girls....

no way in hell nintendo would let him do it but eh...
Sanjuronord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-23, 14:06   Link #62
Shift_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjuronord
For the pervs or those wishing adult games, I know team ninja mentioned they committed to making a game for the ds on tech tv (or whatever they call themselves now that g4 bought em out) and even mentioned the possibility of a doa beach volleyball on ds where you could "touch" the girls....

no way in hell nintendo would let him do it but eh...
Nintendo doesn't need to let them do it, they can develop the game, just can't use the Nintendo Logo in the game or on the box.

I guess it's for those out there that can't get real women on their own
Shift_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-23, 14:53   Link #63
Blaat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift_
Man what's the dealy with people going "Nintendo Makes kids games" WTF do you play games for? Pretty graphics and blood? No you play it to have fun.
I think gamers these days only care about their image instead of games with a good gameplay and/or fun factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnkryo
/me know nothing about battery life in comparison to gaming/video.

The information came directly from the hoarses mouth at E3.
Well my experience is based on laptops, so I 'can't' say much either. I guess I have to see until I believe in this case.
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-23, 22:05   Link #64
Soconfused
Old God Member

Send a message via AIM to Soconfused
Quote:
Man what's the dealy with people going "Nintendo Makes kids games" WTF do you play games for? Pretty graphics and blood? No you play it to have fun.
well, they say the average gamer nowadays is 29. I don't think they wanna play kirby or mario anymore, atleast not OVER and OVER again, only in diff situations. (sorry nintendo man, but you gotta think of some new ideas.) If Nintendo keeps rehashing there old games over and over again on every system they make, there not gonna last long. If PSP gets a solid lineup with alot of variety, I don't think the DS will stand a chance. :fingers:
Old 2004-05-23, 22:34   Link #65
Shift_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soconfused
well, they say the average gamer nowadays is 29. I don't think they wanna play kirby or mario anymore, atleast not OVER and OVER again, only in diff situations. (sorry nintendo man, but you gotta think of some new ideas.) If Nintendo keeps rehashing there old games over and over again on every system they make, there not gonna last long. If PSP gets a solid lineup with alot of variety, I don't think the DS will stand a chance. :fingers:
I think the DS will have a good chance.

Just because the PSP 1st hardware revisions will end up blowing up or something

Rule of console buying: Don't buy any sony console until the 1st price drop...that gives them time to make 5-6 hardware revisions to fix up most of the major problems.

Nintendo on the other hand...well they always only have one version of their hardware
Old 2004-05-24, 01:04   Link #66
Sid_Burn
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Sid_Burn Send a message via AIM to Sid_Burn Send a message via Yahoo to Sid_Burn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirhe
If PSP can do those graphics, as in the video, has a decend battery life, and the Big N does not match it, I'd say goooodbye to Game Boy. Thus far they have made mostly kids games, so perhaps Sony can do better.
Yes... PSP will probably defeat the Big N in terms of graphics...
Sid_Burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-24, 01:10   Link #67
aliensquare

hmm

you wouldnt be able to finish any of the lord of the rings series on the road ^_^
aliensquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-24, 14:18   Link #68
CardCaptorMoody
Dictator of the World

Location: Canada, In my basement playing DANCE DANCE REVOLUTION
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat
I think I'll be getting the DS I've skipped the handheld generation since the original gameboy (yes the huge one).

You have no idea how unbelievable that sounds. 10 hours for gaming yet 2˝/3 hours for video :\
Last time I checked it requires more processing power to play videogames then streaming video.
Your question is answered in the quote below.

I really don't see why everybody is so worried about the battery power... it has already been mentioned by wnkryo 2 times on here that the 2.5 hour battery life is for video, not gaming. For gaming it would have to be minimum 5 hours.. though this would depend on the game's loading times and such. Plus... there is still hope for Sony to enhance the battery life before realese (which is in 10 month or so.... very long time for improvement)

If i really had to choose between the two (which i DON'T since there is nothing stoping me from buying both) i would have to pick the PSP. I am sorry... i am not going to actualy leave my opinion here... however i am going to quote someone from a diferent forum since i really agree with his/her post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthaxx R-or
Ok guys, just a little commentary here. I'm by no means an expert but i examined the available information in depth (watching the full Sony and Nintendo press conferences several times, and any and all information i could find on the web) and i've come to the conclusion that the PSP has a lot more going for it than has been said here.

Firstly the battery life being quoted is when it's running MOVIES. What I mean by this is because the PSP has an optical storage system, when it runs a movie the disc is always spinning and the head is always moving along with it.
When you play a game, let's say GT4 Anywhere (the portable GT4), the storage medium only needs to load information at the beginning of the track so the whole race it needs no additional information from the disc and therefore it does not need any power.
Quoted battery life for gameplay is more into the 6-7 hours range, depending on the game ofcourse. Oh and do you really think it will be more efficient running 2 displays?

Secondly the power of the PSP is something i see a lot of the people here are overlooking. The PSP will only be marginally slower than a PS2, as opposed to the DS wich has been quoted as marginally faster than an N64 (!).

Thirdly the PSP will feature not only an optical storage medium wich will hold about 1.8 GigaBYTE (as opposed the DS, the catridges of wich will hold about 1 GigaBIT, wich comes down to 128MegaBYTE), it also has an Memory Stick DUO PRO slot for accepting memory cards well into the 512 MegaBYTE range (for storing music, savegames, upgrades and maybe even some video), granted Memory Stick is propriatary Sony wich means you'll have to dish out some serious dough for one.

I guess it's pretty clear who i think the winner is going to be in the next portables race. Don't get me wrong, I will buy both because at hart i'm a Nintendo kind of guy (I own a GC, Gameboy Advance, Gameboy Colour, 3 normal Gameboys and many of the older consoles). But considering the looks, power, speed and target audience my money is on the PSP (do a google for "Game & Watch" and you'll get the idea.

I hope GT4A will feature head to head with the normal version, mega LAN anyone?
CardCaptorMoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-24, 17:18   Link #69
wnkryo
HainShodan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift_
I think the DS will have a good chance.

Just because the PSP 1st hardware revisions will end up blowing up or something

Rule of console buying: Don't buy any sony console until the 1st price drop...that gives them time to make 5-6 hardware revisions to fix up most of the major problems.

Nintendo on the other hand...well they always only have one version of their hardware

Man, your like the only one I know who has/had problems with "revisions". I bought my ps2 two months after it came out and it's still working just fine. Infact, I never had any problems with it.

Back to topic,

I don't think PSP will do bad in the market just becuase it is a new handheld hardware from sony. Don't you guys remember how every one thought sony's playstation would do terrible becuase it was their first time making a gaming console? But it turned out that the playstation out sold every other console on the market like 3 to 1, and is still selling today (with the psone).

What is the moral of this story? History always repeats itself.
wnkryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-24, 19:37   Link #70
Sanjuronord
セクシーなパイロット

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardCaptorMoody
Your question is answered in the quote below.

I really don't see why everybody is so worried about the battery power... it has already been mentioned by wnkryo 2 times on here that the 2.5 hour battery life is for video, not gaming. For gaming it would have to be minimum 5 hours.. though this would depend on the game's loading times and such. Plus... there is still hope for Sony to enhance the battery life before realese (which is in 10 month or so.... very long time for improvement)
I do think the battery will be improved before release to try for at least something like 5 hours or something like that. However, I'm curious why you think that gaming will not run the battery out faster than movies. I mean a video game, especially a really good graphic intensive one would seem to me to require more juice (certainly a bigger workload on the machine i'd imagine) than watching a movie. I could see a really simple game going for the 5 hours but it's gotta be the really big games that are gonna sell this thing over the ds.
Old 2004-05-24, 21:19   Link #71
wnkryo
HainShodan

WATCH THIS VIDEO TO LEARN MORE ABOUT PSP BATTERY LIFE!!

Video: http://www.e3insider.com/articles/fl...41R80T4JYO.htm
Old 2004-05-24, 22:53   Link #72
CardCaptorMoody
Dictator of the World

Quote:
WATCH THIS VIDEO TO LEARN MORE ABOUT PSP BATTERY LIFE!!

Video: http://www.e3insider.com/articles/fl...41R80T4JYO.htm
Wow... now my desire to have a PSP increased about 100x! Thanks for the link

Quote:
I do think the battery will be improved before release to try for at least something like 5 hours or something like that. However, I'm curious why you think that gaming will not run the battery out faster than movies. I mean a video game, especially a really good graphic intensive one would seem to me to require more juice (certainly a bigger workload on the machine i'd imagine) than watching a movie. I could see a really simple game going for the 5 hours but it's gotta be the really big games that are gonna sell this thing over the ds.
I can see where you are coming from... however that is not how it works. When the PSP is playing a video the disk has to keep spining and the lazer has to keep on reading... this is what drains the bateries so quickly. However, since the PSP can store information within the actual device... with games the disk only needs to spin for the duration of the loading time. This would mean that the motor that is powering the spining doesn't need any more power and therefore less power is consumed. Since some games have more freaquent and longer loading times the power consumption would have to depend on the game... however nomater how long a loading time is.. it won't go over 1min (maybe 2mins). I hope that helped... though it is probably explained better by Synthaxx R-or in my last post.
Old 2004-05-24, 23:10   Link #73
Sanjuronord
セクシーなパイロット

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardCaptorMoody
Wow... now my desire to have a PSP increased about 100x! Thanks for the link

I can see where you are coming from... however that is not how it works. When the PSP is playing a video the disk has to keep spining and the lazer has to keep on reading... this is what drains the bateries so quickly. However, since the PSP can store information within the actual device... with games the disk only needs to spin for the duration of the loading time. This would mean that the motor that is powering the spining doesn't need any more power and therefore less power is consumed. Since some games have more freaquent and longer loading times the power consumption would have to depend on the game... however nomater how long a loading time is.. it won't go over 1min (maybe 2mins). I hope that helped... though it is probably explained better by Synthaxx R-or in my last post.
Yes that explains it completely for some reason i didn't even consider the spinning of the disc when watching a movie, just plain dumb of me. That link, while showing a bunch of cool games, didn't really say or explain much about the battery life it just said ten hours (though he didn't say whether that was universal or just for playing games...though ten hours is still pretty impressive).
Old 2004-05-25, 16:09   Link #74
mantidor
the Iniquitous

Send a message via Yahoo to mantidor
soconfused: The average gamer is 29? hahaha thanks for improving my day with your humor! now post that in the "laugh a day" thread, please. If that would be true, then nintendo would be the first by just the simple "nostalgic" factor.

Nintendo is the only one who is original, no two Mario or Zelda games are alike for instance. They are the motor of this industry, while they keep inventing new forms of play, the other companies just copy them and put girls with giant breasts, guns and CG FMV to sell their games.

I'll go with the DS because, as always with the big N, is very original, Nintendo is very risky doing something like this, but as they said, buffing up specs is not the way to make the industry grow. The PSP is a shrunk PS2, and I don't think that would make it a great handheld, with that money I can buy several great nintendo games, which is far better.
mantidor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-25, 16:18   Link #75
wnkryo
HainShodan

Quote:
Yes that explains it completely for some reason i didn't even consider the spinning of the disc when watching a movie, just plain dumb of me. That link, while showing a bunch of cool games, didn't really say or explain much about the battery life it just said ten hours (though he didn't say whether that was universal or just for playing games...though ten hours is still pretty impressive).

Ok look, I got the solid info about the PSP battery life and shit loads more. Just watch these videos and you guys will fall in love with the psp (and learn more about it).

*The videos in the site linked below require quicktime to play*
Link for videos
Old 2004-05-25, 20:26   Link #76
CardCaptorMoody
Dictator of the World

Quote:
Ok look, I got the solid info about the PSP battery life and shit loads more. Just watch these videos and you guys will fall in love with the psp (and learn more about it).

*The videos in the site linked below require quicktime to play*
Link for videos

All i'm getting is a:
404 ERROR PAGE CANNOT BE FOUND The page you are looking for does not exist
I really want to see!!
Old 2004-05-25, 20:47   Link #77
wnkryo
HainShodan

@ CardCaptorMoody: It works just fine for me. Make sure you have quick time installed before you follow the link I posted for the videos. If that doesn't work then try right clicking on it and saving it to your desktop.
Old 2004-05-25, 23:00   Link #78
Ether
Simple Minded Idiot

Wink

In all honesty I welcome the competition. We all know that the more competition there is the better it is for us, the consumers. Think back to a moment in the console market where prices fell dramatically. It was a breath of fresh air for all those waiting for the chance to nab a system at a more affordable price. However, I must point out that this is in fact the handheld market where Nintendo reigns supreme.

Now no one really knows what befalls the fate of the PSP but if history has taught us anything it is that NO ONE can stand up to Nintendo when it comes to handhelds.
  • Sega attempted twice with both the battery sucking Game Gear and Nomad. Not to say that these systems weren't entertaining and innovative, but the cons outweighed the pros in both instances and both were subsequently buried in the wake of the GameBoy.
  • NeoGeo also attempted to carve a niche in the handheld gaming market with their NeoGeo Pocket (forgive me if this is not the correct name as I vaguely remember its existence here in the states). The Pocket is vaguely remeniscent of the Game Gear in design and had a small library. This had a remarkably short lifespan and was pulled from retailers shelves when sales reports showed that it paled in comparison to the GameBoy.
  • Recently Nokia has entered the market with their N-Gage. From what I can tell this system is also struggling relentlessly to stay afloat. In all honesty I believe that its being used as more of a phone than a game system . I've also just read that they are offering a $100 mail in rebate with a suggested MSRP of $199. Yeah, they're just about dead.
  • I had also heard rumors that Bandai wouldn't release the Wonder Swan outside Japan because of the fear that it would bomb like all the other attempts to dethrone Nintendo's GameBoy. The GameBoy's presence strikes fear into the heart of competitors it seems .
So with that, I choose to stick with Nintendo and get the mouth watering DS. I'll pass on the PSP for the time being, if it makes it to it's 1st birthday maybe then I'll consider it.
Ether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-26, 00:44   Link #79
Shift_

The Wonderswan is pretty nifty I think...

The N-Gage isn't even a good phone, if I was given one, I'd uh destroy it or sell it.

About the DS vs PSP...hand helds arn't really my thing. But I still need to beat a couple games on the GBA SP (I acctually own 2 of these), like FFA tactics, and Golden Sun 1 + 2...I haven't even touched my SP for ages now...maybe I should. I just like sitting infront of a TV/monitor to play games more than holding some dinkey device.
Old 2004-05-26, 02:41   Link #80
Sanjuronord
セクシーなパイロット

Quote:
@ CardCaptorMoody: It works just fine for me. Make sure you have quick time installed before you follow the link I posted for the videos. If that doesn't work then try right clicking on it and saving it to your desktop.
If that won't work try using flashget to download em, first two were interesting at times, last video showed alot of interesting games while the third just showed sports games for the most part and that's not my cup of tea. The connectability of the system looks interesting in the second vid (PSP to PS2, PS2 to PS2, PSP to PSP, and PSP to PC) just not sure where they're going with all that yet. Hopefully will be better than the gamecube/gba games that used both consoles which was mostly just a hook to sell the games.