AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2004-06-03, 14:56   Link #1
TaKuMi_SaN

Bakafish any good?

Hey is the fansub group bakafish any good? They usually come out with Naruto first but i wondering if they were good before downloading it.
TaKuMi_SaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-03, 15:41   Link #2
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

their translations are subpar and they use the ugly yellow font...
Kyuven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-03, 16:16   Link #3
Soulfang
Inactive Member

It should be considered as a speedsub and nothing else. A lot of times their translations are either incorrect or they have interpreted the sentence incorrectly...
Soulfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-03, 16:34   Link #4
Natsumi

Send a message via AIM to Natsumi
Bakafish has good translations but their video quality is so-so.

I suggest you to get it if you can't wait for ANBU's version.
Natsumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-03, 16:47   Link #5
Kyuven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsumi
Bakafish has good translations but their video quality is so-so.
i was thinking just the opposite
these days it's hard to completely mess up video quality...
Old 2004-06-03, 16:51   Link #6
Natsumi

Do you know Japanese? If not, I don't think it's a good idea for you to say their translations is bad.

I have heard many good things about their translations.
Old 2004-06-03, 17:15   Link #7
Kyoji
I WANT MORE MILK!

This is all i have to say about Bakafish:

WTF!!!
Kyoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-03, 17:32   Link #8
durrem
[megaplay] *sparkles*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoji
This is all i have to say about Bakafish:

WTF!!!
Yeah, I saw that at the beginning of 86 as well. However, that was the only major problem I saw. Overall, aside from spellcheck errors like that, the editing is good. I can't say about the translation though, as I don't speak Japanese. I would like to say that I showed parts of both Bakafish and S-O episode 85 to my friend and in each part she preferred the Bakafish version.

Spoiler for ep 85:

Also, I think Bakafish has the best ED translation out of all the groups by far.

The downside is that they use a lower quality raw file, and there was that little pink splotch last episode. Also, the yellow font could use some work...
durrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-03, 18:32   Link #9
Natsumi

That might be one mistake (or typo) when they do the translations ( they only have two people doing the Naruto ep subbing), you can't discredit them as if their whole translation is bad.

As for the yellow font, (<~ cute smile =) ) Bakafish is not the only group that uses it, all of my TW versions have yellow fonts. And not to mention that most of my anime dvds (the legal ones.. ) use yellow fonts too.

Last edited by Natsumi; 2004-06-04 at 07:37.
Old 2004-06-03, 18:52   Link #10
TaKuMi_SaN

I'll just wait for the Anbu version instead since it prob the best subbing one out there. If they were a lil faster at it though it woul be really good. I think Anbu is better than all of them since S-O has some mistakes, Bakafish i dont really know about and when i try Baka San it always closes on me when i play it on Windows Media Player. So im just gonna stick to Anbu .
TaKuMi_SaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-03, 19:32   Link #11
Lucier
Lunar Translator

I personally can't see ANY real group putting "Baka" in their name...
It sorta makes them sound like n00bs... or something...
I mean, Baka is like the like the first word most anime watches learn.. (other than maybe hentai or whatever...)

And while related, translating and editing are DIFFERENT things...
You can have a perfectly good translation, with bad editing that makes no sense...
You can also have a horrible translation, that's been edited to make perfect sense, and yet, totally incorrect to the Japanese...
I wish people would understand that -_-...
EVERYday I see ppl bitching about how they didn't understand, so it's bad TL, when the edit is their problem -_-...
As a translator, that just bothers me...

In the end, I will agree, that you need both quality TL and quality editing... if either is lacking, it destroys the experience.
Lucier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-03, 19:59   Link #12
Kokushi_Musou
太鼓の達人

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucier
I personally can't see ANY real group putting "Baka" in their name...
It sorta makes them sound like n00bs... or something...
I mean, Baka is like the like the first word most anime watches learn.. (other than maybe hentai or whatever...)

And while related, translating and editing are DIFFERENT things...
You can have a perfectly good translation, with bad editing that makes no sense...
You can also have a horrible translation, that's been edited to make perfect sense, and yet, totally incorrect to the Japanese...
I wish people would understand that -_-...
EVERYday I see ppl bitching about how they didn't understand, so it's bad TL, when the edit is their problem -_-...
As a translator, that just bothers me...

In the end, I will agree, that you need both quality TL and quality editing... if either is lacking, it destroys the experience.

As far as I'm concerned you can't have a good translation that makes no sense. If the editor can't understand what you are trying to say how do you expect anyone else to?
Kokushi_Musou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-03, 20:29   Link #13
Kyuven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsumi
Do you know Japanese? If not, I don't think it's a good idea for you to say their translations is bad.

I have heard many good things about their translations.
lemme clarify: when i say "translation", i include spelling and grammar
i honestly don't think it's that hard to copy+paste into a Word document and run spelling/grammar check.
i'm pretty critical of news articles, books, subtitles(Fansubs AND official ones, the official ones lose more points since they have PROFESSIONALS working on them) and other such media that doesn't check their grammar/spelling before distributing their product (whether it be free or otherwise)
it's one thing to have slightly off translations, it's quite another to have horrendous spelling and grammar that the very computer they're producing the subtitles on can fix.
Old 2004-06-03, 21:31   Link #14
Soulfang
Inactive Member

I don't know how you can think that subs released day of (or day after even) airing can be something of perfect quality. It cannot, unless you have the most efficient group ever

Bakafish is a speed-subbing group. You can tell that even from the fact that they use Saiyaman's raws. It's stupid to compare them to anyone else's release.
Old 2004-06-03, 21:54   Link #15
SpikeS095
Fighting Stupidity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulfang
I don't know how you can think that subs released day of (or day after even) airing can be something of perfect quality. It cannot, unless you have the most efficient group ever
a.f.k.'s Kenran Butousai and Aishiteruze Baby come pretty damn close. So did that Naruto ep ANBU/AONE sped out a few eps ago.
SpikeS095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-03, 22:39   Link #16
Soulfang
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeS095
a.f.k.'s Kenran Butousai and Aishiteruze Baby come pretty damn close. So did that Naruto ep ANBU/AONE sped out a few eps ago.
I have to agree with you on a.f.k. They are probably the fastest group with the most quality, so props to them for that.

I have to disagree on your AonE-ANBU comment though. That episode was SERIOUSLY lacking in quality, especially in editing. If it had gone through QC properly instead of being rushed out, it would have been much better.
Old 2004-06-04, 08:09   Link #17
zindryr
Bakafish Person and Stuff

Kyuyen, the reason we don't run things through spell/grammar check usually is because, for reasons of speed, I, the translator, put things straight into ssa and not into a wordpad. That, and I also wasn't home to check through all of my subs after I sent them to my teammate who does encoding and things, hence the reason why that one screen that you posted exists.

("you" should have been "walks" in that sentence, Freud had me thinking backwards for some reason, and made me throw a slip, placing "you" in there.)

Anyways, it's somewhat hard to catch small mistakes here and there when we don't have anyone QC'ing or any of that, we're just trying to let people see the episode with subs either the day it's released or the next day. If you want to make fun of our releases and call them crap, go right ahead. Complaining about something done for free, and something of this kind of scale, (around 50,000 people downloading the episodes and things), is kind of stupid when you think about it. If you want better, go ahead and either do it yourself or wait for ANBU. We aren't trying to compete with anyone, and it's not like we're forcing you to download it,

Last edited by zindryr; 2004-06-04 at 08:21.
zindryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-04, 08:41   Link #18
TM_ThEMaN
Kaizoku

Why are you doing this conversation guys?!!!

the poster asked a simple question with simple answer.... and yet u ended calling the group crap . I wonder what you would say if you paid a penny for that . but i think no matter what people do, there's always someone rude enough.

The answer to the question is as what somebody said here

Bakafish is for fans who want the episode fast ... and that's what i do .. i always download Bakafish on thursday. and download the ANBU's on saturday to rewatch and then burn it ..
TM_ThEMaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-04, 09:06   Link #19
Kyuven

Quote:
Originally Posted by TM_ThEMaN
Why are you doing this conversation guys?!!!

the poster asked a simple question with simple answer.... and yet u ended calling the group crap . I wonder what you would say if you paid a penny for that . but i think no matter what people do, there's always someone rude enough.

The answer to the question is as what somebody said here

Bakafish is for fans who want the episode fast ... and that's what i do .. i always download Bakafish on thursday. and download the ANBU's on saturday to rewatch and then burn it ..
the original poster wanted to know if we thought Bakafish was any good
in my opinion, i don't like super speed releases, so i said i didn't like it, and stated why.
Old 2004-06-04, 10:58   Link #20
ubb

"Do you know Japanese? If not, I don't think it's a good idea for you to say their translations is bad.

I have heard many good things about their translations."

So you 'heard' good things about their translation, so I guess it's safe to assume that you also does not understand nihongo, and your opinion of their t/ling in your first post here in voided.

If I really can't wait for a certain ep I'd rather just watch it raw than grabbing speed subs where I have to second-guess what the passage really means.
ubb is offline   Reply With Quote