AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-02-02, 01:04   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 613 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

The merman isle saga continues! Once again we have the bluebeard to thank for translating the moonspeak:

-Chapter title is "Mermaid Princess in the Hardshell Tower". The splash page is the beginning of a new ministory (JOY )! It looks like this one will involve Oda showing us the activities taking place around the post-skip world, as we first see one of those newspaper delivery birds with a paper that headlines the return of the Straw-Hats (it also mentions the Wapometal from Wapol's ministory, interestingly).......

-We're introduced to the top dog of the Flying Pirates crew: Captain Van der Decken IX (Japanese bullhead shark merman) and his crewman, the giant Wadatsumi (giant puffer tiger merman). Decken says that he threatened the princess with the phrase "MARRIAGE OR DIE", the meaning of which should be pretty obvious. He then throws an axe with a picture of roses drawn on it, which seems to be the captain's twisted idea of a present......

-Back at Ryuuguu palace, Luffy attempts to calm down Shirahoshi. It's at that moment when Decken's axe bursts into the room, which Luffy catches. Some guards arrive, and the princess hides Luffy behind her. The guards decide to imprison the rest of the Straw-Hats, though only Zoro was caught so far. When the guards leave, Shirahoshi talks to Luffy about Van der Decken. He had a "curse" placed on him called "mato mato" (target), which makes any object he attacks his targets with never miss their mark. Naturally, the princess is one such target, which is why she's unable to leave the tower. She invites Luffy to dinner, and says she's been locked in the tower for a decade. The rookie suggests the princess should take a walk with him, and assures her that he'll take care of any weapons flying her way.

-At another part of the palace, the other Straw-Hats are resisting the guards. Neptune himself reluctantly joins the fray, but his attack is blocked by...... Zoro! Meanwhile, at the town of Noah, it's revealed that Decken and Hody Jones have formed an alliance in order to assassinate Neptune and destroy the kingdom. Decken puts on some gloves, then shakes hands with the other captain to seal the deal......

Heh, looks like my prediction of both enemy crews joining forces came true after all! And Luffy that pimp, asking out the princess on a date! However, I kinda wouldn't be surprised if Shira ends up getting swiped by Caribou next.....

And we're finally introduced to Decken! I still sorta think that he's a half-merman, and it's pretty clear that he has a DF power (the first of his kind to possess one!). Man, I can't wait to see what sort of havoc him and Hody will wreak upon the island.....

But the highlight of the chapter for me is the ministory, I must admit. I was really hoping this is the long-awaited Foxy story, but a post-skip world tour sounds pretty sweet as well (and maybe Foxy will still make an appearance in it, who knows.....?). Oh, how I can't wait for this chapter already!
Old 2011-02-02, 01:10   Link #2
james0246

Decken's power is really weird. How does someone posses a power that allows them to always hit their target? Really weird...
Old 2011-02-02, 01:11   Link #3
SOGESNAKE
NEW WORLD BABY~!

Send a message via MSN to SOGESNAKE
Called it, Luffy's gonna take her outta da castle~

The power to hit anything..... reminds me of Baron Omatsuri's arrows actually. Anyway, I'm interested to see what the likes of Kidd and the others have been up to during this time skip~
Old 2011-02-02, 01:11   Link #4
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

A mini-story! It sure has been a while, and it'll be great to see a lot of old faces again.

So Van Der Decken IS a Merman with a devil fruit power? That's new.

Looks like the Strawhats are in hot water now, but they should get out of this predicament just fine.

Shirahoshi sounds like she's in more of a Rapunzel situation.~
Old 2011-02-02, 01:14   Link #5
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Decken's power is really weird. How does someone posses a power that allows them to always hit their target? Really weird...

Apparently, he "marks" his target by touching them, which is why he wore gloves when he shook Jones' hand.

BTW, Decken's power makes me really hopeful that he'll be Usopp's opponent.
Old 2011-02-02, 01:34   Link #6
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Apparently, he "marks" his target by touching them, which is why he wore gloves when he shook Jones' hand.
Okay, that makes a great deal more sense. Thanks for clearing up my initial confusion.

Quote:
BTW, Decken's power makes me really hopeful that he'll be Usopp's opponent.
Honestly, Decken seems so much more powerful than Hodi right now that giving the fight to Usopp seems pretty strange. I'm not adverse to the potential of the fight (since they can both be classified as sharpshooters), but Decken's powers, taken to the extreme, would be nigh on impossible for anyone but a top level opponent to handle. It's really going to depend on how powerful Oda wants Decken to be.

That being said, it would be funny if Usopp was the one to get a Princess to fall for him ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOGESNAKE View Post
The power to hit anything..... reminds me of Baron Omatsuri's arrows actually. Anyway, I'm interested to see what the likes of Kidd and the others have been up to during this time skip~
That's actually what I was also thinking of, and Baron Omatsuri was one of Luffy's greatest movie foes (until the most recent film at least). This is also one of the reasons why I think Decken could be a very powerful opponent...
Old 2011-02-02, 01:52   Link #7
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Keep in mind this is just T's guess, and not confirmed.
Old 2011-02-02, 01:55   Link #8
marvelB

Actually, Decken's power reminded me more of that one dude from Yuu Yuu Hakusho (I forgot his name, but he was one of Sensui's goons). But the difference is that guy had a more limited range to his power compared to Decken. But yeah, I guess he would be more of a match for Luffy if he ends up "sniping" him with something as huge as a truck, wouldn't he? Still, I guess we just gotta wait to see how Decken's powers will be built up, as was already stated (though he admittedly DOES have a pretty broken power)......

Oh, and according to the summary, Decken doesn't wear a straw-hat, but rather something like a cowboy hat. So unless the enemy captain switches hats mid-arc, it looks like the prophecy really WAS referring to just Luffy after all......

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Keep in mind this is just T's guess, and not confirmed.

Ah, okay. But still, that seems the most likely mechanic behind his power, nonetheless......
Old 2011-02-02, 02:21   Link #9
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Still, I guess we just gotta wait to see how Decken's powers will be built up, as was already stated (though he admittedly DOES have a pretty broken power)......
Unless he can't control his "aim..."

I'm thinking along the line of that's why he's wearing gloves: if he touches someone else, his "aim" will transfer to that "person" and he'll lose the princess.

Of course, this can change depending on what the translation is...
Old 2011-02-02, 07:32   Link #10
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
The rookie suggests the princess should take a walk with him
Just you wait till his wife finds out
Old 2011-02-02, 08:02   Link #11
Paraden1989

Yeah I think that Van der Decken IX could have eaten a devil fruit, i mean the name of his curse is called "mato mato." that is pretty much a dead give away! but in reference to him being underwater, i think that he must either be full or half merman. Being a merman, a sea creature, eating a devil fruit would have the opposite effect that are normal for devil fruit users. instead of not being able to swim, he might not be able to walk on land again. In addition, there could be proof to this because of the legend briefly mentioned when he was introduced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
Unless he can't control his "aim..."

I'm thinking along the line of that's why he's wearing gloves: if he touches someone else, his "aim" will transfer to that "person" and he'll lose the princess.

Of course, this can change depending on what the translation is...
I agree, this could be similar to how Kuma wears a glove when he is not using his powers.

Last edited by james0246; 2011-02-02 at 09:10. Reason: double post...
Old 2011-02-02, 09:26   Link #12
raziel16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
Just you wait till his wife finds out
then we'll have a huge mermaid statue...
Old 2011-02-02, 10:23   Link #13
ChaosPaladin
Bringer of Order & Chaos

is it only me but i find the strawhat crew has become uber cool! this chapter just show off their badassness even though it is only for a few panels.
Old 2011-02-02, 10:33   Link #14
Animizzle
Cool as a Cucumber

Man, what an awesome chapter. Favorite bits were the meeting between Arlong and Vander Decken (Who, I have to admit, seems more of a badass and might have more influence on this arc then I intially thought), and Luffy being a complete ass to the princess.
Old 2011-02-02, 10:44   Link #15
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Good chapter. Nice to see the Straw Hats getting back to doing what they do best.

And it really is starting to look like Zoro lost his left eye...
Old 2011-02-02, 10:57   Link #16
crossgundam

ohhh Vander Decken some how look disappointing......
Old 2011-02-02, 11:12   Link #17
Kallen4life

I like how with all this (SH's, the kingdom faction, Decken, Hodi, possibly Big Mom's representative might make an appearance in the end .. maybe Jimbei, but that's a stretch - probably they'll meet him later) there's still Caribou lurking around .. he's a logia, so not to be taken lightly (for all we know Luffy is the only one with armor-haki on the island)
We are Blackwatch
We are the last line of defense
We will burn our own to hold the red line, it is the last line to ever hold
Old 2011-02-02, 11:18   Link #18
Prestige

Nice chapter and nice buildup, it has only been a few chapters since Fishman island was introduced and now it has builded up for a great battle.

Usopp was particulary badass in this chapter, I really like how things are going, its probly going to be a civil war and I think Fishman island will take quite heavy damage before SH's can quell down Hodi and Van der Decken.
Old 2011-02-02, 11:19   Link #19
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Luffy does have a point though. Shirahoshi's gigantic so it seems strange that she can't stand up for herself just a tiny bit. Her socializing skills are probably lacking too from being shut-up in a tower for 10 years too so that might've made her a little over-sensitive.

But yeah, Luffy obviously doesn't like to be bothered when eating.

Van Der Decken doesn't look anything like I imagined. I expected someone way older than that.

The "Black Kabuto" eh? Hope we get to see some new techniques next chapter.
Old 2011-02-02, 11:19   Link #20
Kallen4life

btw is it Van der Decken or Vander Decken ?
We are Blackwatch
We are the last line of defense
We will burn our own to hold the red line, it is the last line to ever hold
Closed Thread