Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-11-23, 03:19   Link #1
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

I'm Slipping, help!

Okay, so I haven't watched much anime at all in the past 2 months. I don't really like watching things that are currently airing because I can't keep up with them. I rewatched a couple favorites, but I haven't been really enraptured in a new show in quite a while. I was watching and enjoying Brigadoon a great deal but I really want to see a top 10 breaker. I'm starting to feel like the upper echelons of my favorites list are getting hardened into stone and I'd really like to break something into there. This isn't about finding an anime that's really good, because I already know that I have to watch a lot of those. It's about finding an anime that will really have an impact on me. you can read all the things I like about anime as well as my favorites list in my MAL profile. I give infinite thanks to anyone who can find something to break my top list.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/2008digitalboy
Old 2008-11-23, 03:48   Link #2
james0246

Anime that can provide an impact? Well the last (new) show I watched that impacted me enough to do something/anything was Hajime no Ippo. Specifically, I went back to the gym during the release of the show because I felt the need to reclaim my previous physical stature/abilities. So, I was literally moved by the anime . (I am, of course, being partially facetious concerning your use of the word "impact", but, in the end, Ippo is a very good show well worth a 10 episode try).

That being said, just based on your top favourites etc, I am not sure if Ippo will makes its way into your Top 10 let alone your top 50, but at least it is an above average show that you have not watched (or at least have not listed).
Old 2008-11-23, 03:53   Link #3
jedinat

Ehh... talk about a tough request, lol.
We've got different tastes... and your list of favorites is understandably eclectic...

I don't see listed Futatsu no Spica, which is quite good.
Old 2008-11-23, 03:53   Link #4
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Looking through your list of well over 500 anime titles, I have this to suggest: It's time, perhaps, to move on to other forms of entertainment? It's healthy to give anime a break every now and then, to see how other forms of media have evolved, as have anime.

Frankly, I'm surprised that you aren't completely sick of the genre by now. It's no surprise that hardly anything leaves an impact - you've probably seen it all already. You're suffering from anime ennui.
Old 2008-11-23, 04:53   Link #5
ddwkc
Lone Wolf

Send a message via MSN to ddwkc
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Looking through your list of well over 500 anime titles, I have this to suggest: It's time, perhaps, to move on to other forms of entertainment? It's healthy to give anime a break every now and then, to see how other forms of media have evolved, as have anime.

Frankly, I'm surprised that you aren't completely sick of the genre by now. It's no surprise that hardly anything leaves an impact - you've probably seen it all already. You're suffering from anime ennui.
If it isn't your case, maybe try to find time to finish the ones in your dropped list. My list is about 2 times bigger than yours (definitively not bragging about it) and I feel sometimes that. I just pick one I dropped and watch it without much expectation of getting entertained. You may be surprised of this different way of watching.

About the suggestion of Twin Spica that jedinat did, it's really a good series. I wholehearted recommend it. One thing about this anime is I wish I had watched it when I was young. One thing about anime I haven't think of before was that I could learn life lessons from it and this anime showed yes I can learn important life lessons from this medium. Maybe it is the fresh air you need.
Eo tempore mortem cognovi
Old 2008-11-23, 05:21   Link #6
thursday`

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deus ex Digital Boy View Post
Okay, so I haven't watched much anime at all in the past 2 months. I don't really like watching things that are currently airing because I can't keep up with them. I rewatched a couple favorites, but I haven't been really enraptured in a new show in quite a while. I was watching and enjoying Brigadoon a great deal but I really want to see a top 10 breaker. I'm starting to feel like the upper echelons of my favorites list are getting hardened into stone and I'd really like to break something into there. This isn't about finding an anime that's really good, because I already know that I have to watch a lot of those. It's about finding an anime that will really have an impact on me. you can read all the things I like about anime as well as my favorites list in my MAL profile. I give infinite thanks to anyone who can find something to break my top list.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/2008digitalboy
I seen no Prince of Tennis on your list. I doubt it'll have a huge impact on you, but it's entertaining.

Also, why did you drop GUNDAM 00 after 1 episode? It's a brilliant series. You've got Fullmetal Alchemist on hold? That's another brilliant series.
Old 2008-11-23, 07:20   Link #7
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

Hmm, we do have quite different tastes, but thanks to MAL's shared list that shows stuff unique to each of us it's easy to find stuff not on your list I rate highly; one of my 10s, Rescue Wings, might be alright for you. You rate some other dramas highly, and Rescue Wings is my favourite drama. Being 'real life' made it have more of an impact on me than anime tends to; really makes you respect people who do that line of work.

Terra e, is another on my list that doesn't seem to be on yours. Nice epic space drama there too. Pretty amazing story even if it does start slowly and a little strangely. Not sure about having some amazing impact on you that will change your life, but it is a very solidly enjoyable series that is in the top charts for sci-fi anime.

Or considering our rather different tastes for the mostpart (some shared scores, but not a lot) you could just look at my lowest rated stuff and work your way up. >.>

http://myanimelist.net/shared.php?u1...type=anime&o=2 is quite amusing though.
Old 2008-11-23, 08:43   Link #8
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

You've pretty much watched everything under the sun.... erm... how about a manga? I suggest Rosario + Vampire ( don't watch the anime, you'll most likely hate it ). Its my all time favorite manga. The first season is over, and the second season is going on right now. It starts a little slow at first, but keep going, and you'll be sure to love it. Best female cast IMO.

But like someone said... maybe you should find other forms of entertainment as well... Like uh... Movies? Video Games? Or maybe a hobby that can keep you just as occupied... building models, drawing, exercise, outdoors stuff... For me, I just watch anime the way people watch their favorite T.V. shows. I lost track of how much I've seen already... its been about 20 years now since I've started watching anime.
Old 2008-11-23, 12:31   Link #9
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

I already am into different forms of entertainment. I am even more into music than I am into anime and I watch a lot of movies (I am a director, after all) and play some video games. I am looking for anime because I love it.

thursday, understand my on hold list is all things I am still watching just over longer period of time. I love FMA but I've been watching for like 4 years now. And Gundam 00.... ew....

Twin Spica looks like a very interesting recommendation. Ippo does to but it's too long - I can't finish anime over 50 episodes long >_<
Old 2008-11-23, 15:48   Link #10
LeoXiao
思想工作

Finish Full Metal panic and watch the third season of it (the one that comes after Fumoffu).
Old 2008-11-24, 04:11   Link #11
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deus ex Digital Boy View Post
I am a director, after all. I am looking for anime because I love it.
In that case, here's a heads-up for you:

Genius Party Beyond
5 Impacts By 5 Directors

It's the companion anthology to Genius Party, which features short films by seven top animators, including Masaaki Yuasa (Kaiba, Kemonozume) and Shinichiro Watanabe (Cowboy Bepop, Animatrix).

Studio 4°C apparently released it in July 2007, but the anthology has made appearances only at anime festivals, it seems. I'm now interested in getting the DVDs, if they are available.

I learnt about it only last weekend, at the Anime Festival Asia 2008 held in Singapore.
Old 2008-11-24, 14:43   Link #12
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

They will actually be available stateside soon and I do plan to buy them.
Old 2008-11-24, 15:25   Link #13
Fynal_Fyre
Inactive Member

I don't see Kara no Kyoukai on your list. Watch it.
Old 2008-11-24, 15:30   Link #14
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fynal_Fyre View Post
I don't see Kara no Kyoukai on your list. Watch it.
you must not have loked hard enough XD I love KnK, only seen teh first one though since I'm waiting for them al to come out before I continue.

EDIT: I just finished Rescue Wings and it was great. Not impactful, but still damn good enough that I marathoned it. MAny thanks. I want to watch Twin Spica but can't find streams.

Last edited by Deus ex Digital Boy; 2008-11-24 at 18:57.
Old 2008-11-25, 03:33   Link #15
signorRossi

This one might not be that 'impactful', but since we have many favorites in common (I also enjoyed Rescue Wings lately) and I found it worthwhile, you could watch Princess Arete when you are in the mood for something action-less but mindful and meditative.

SignorRossi.
Old 2008-11-29, 22:13   Link #16
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

I'd suggest finishing Kaiba. It is a rather thoughtful title and the last 2 episodes extraodinary in their own way. Also, Franz Kafka's A Country Doctor if it's not on your list. (I didn't see it there but I could have missed it.)
Old 2008-11-30, 00:00   Link #17
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
I'd suggest finishing Kaiba. It is a rather thoughtful title and the last 2 episodes extraodinary in their own way. Also, Franz Kafka's A Country Doctor if it's not on your list. (I didn't see it there but I could have missed it.)
kafka is listed as 'inaka isha' or something and I hated that movei >_<

I'm also not a big fan of kaiba. Even though I like original and experimental anime, I really don't do arthouse. when I see all the weird shit, I just can't feel connected to it. Tis why I hated Mind Game by the same director.
Old 2008-11-30, 01:09   Link #18
Theowne
耳をすませば

When in doubt, go for the classics. Maison Ikkoku & Kimagure Orange Road. Watch/Complete them. I know you don't like anime over 50 episodes, but you don't exactly have a lot of options here, and it is a great series, a must-watch.

Why the lack of Ghibli films? You are searching for a diamond when there's a treasure chest next to your feet. Looks liky ou haven't yet seen Totoro, Mimi o Sumaseba, Omohide Poroporo, Hotaru no Haka....

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Old 2008-11-30, 22:36   Link #19
Telmah

Send a message via AIM to Telmah Send a message via MSN to Telmah
I noticed you dropped Bokurano after one episode.

I'd strongly consider giving it a bit more of a chance. I am only in 8 episodes of the 24 run, but it's been a wild ride past the first couple. For the longest time, I've not see anything that really amazed me since Haibane Renmei--but once the ball gets rolling Bokurano really is impressive. I find it almost impossible to write about, without spoiling things.

Spoiler for First few episodes:

Plus the opening theme is the amazingly haunting "Uninstall". What more can you ask for?
Old 2008-12-01, 19:29   Link #20
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telmah View Post
I noticed you dropped Bokurano after one episode.

I'd strongly consider giving it a bit more of a chance. I am only in 8 episodes of the 24 run, but it's been a wild ride past the first couple. For the longest time, I've not see anything that really amazed me since Haibane Renmei--but once the ball gets rolling Bokurano really is impressive. I find it almost impossible to write about, without spoiling things.

Spoiler for First few episodes:

Plus the opening theme is the amazingly haunting "Uninstall". What more can you ask for?
I've been putting it off for the manga. Everything I've read suggests the anime makes the wrong changes thanks to the fact that the director actually hated (very much) the original manga. I like the style of the guy who wrote the manga (also did Narutaru) so I plan to stick with that.
Closed Thread