AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: What Was Your Favorite Episode Of Suzumiya Haruhi
Episode 1 21 7.58%
Episode 2 11 3.97%
Episode 3 1 0.36%
Episode 4 5 1.81%
Episode 5 5 1.81%
Episode 6 4 1.44%
Episode 7 1 0.36%
Episode 8 0 0%
Episode 9 16 5.78%
Episode 10 42 15.16%
Episode 11 24 8.66%
Episode 12 86 31.05%
Episode 13 5 1.81%
Episode 14 56 20.22%
Voters: 277. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-07-04, 00:18   Link #41
monster

Oh wow, episode 14 was awesome in a similar way as episode 10. But since I actually like Yuki a little more than Haruhi, I don't regret voting for 10.
Old 2006-07-04, 00:25   Link #42
Shirobane
Haruhiism Worshipper

Episode 1 introduced me to Haruhiism.
Episode 2 made me a Haruiist.
But episode 14 makes me committed to Haruhiism for the rest of my life

There's no doubt episode 1 will end up as the series' greatest contribution to the industry, but I'm much more interested in how studios end off their works. Simply put, Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu VI is the best anime ending I've seen in a long time. KyoAni really flexed their animation prowess in taking a somewhat cryptic chapter and a half and animating it in an eventful and fluid way. I should really send them money for not pulling a Gainax.

But really, I've enjoyed all episodes very much and it really took some thinking to pick a favourite episode.
Old 2006-07-04, 01:09   Link #43
steelbound
Yuki-ism

Had to go with episode 1. There is nothing (movie-live action/animation, anime episode,etc.) that I have watched more and I'm the type of person that does not rewatch things. Not only was it a sly way to introduce you to the show and it's unique specialness but the absurdity of watching a 4:3 movie within a 16:9 frame on a 4:3 computer screen just tickles my brain.

Runner ups in order:
Old 2006-07-04, 01:16   Link #44
ApathyEcstasy

episode 14 was the only episode that gave me chills down my spine...during the closed space sequence when the orchestra music kicked in and the creatures started smashing the school
Old 2006-07-04, 01:27   Link #45
Keitarou
Ninja

Let's see, actually I can pretty much figure out the episode I liked the most when I count how often I did rewatch the single episodes (making the top tiers rank somewhere between 4 and 6 times).

Episode 14 (Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu VI) is it in the end, because of its closure for the arc and most importanly the style, it did remind me of GAINAX every single minute throughout this ride, especially the part where Kyon and Haruhi run away and he remembers what all of them are for him, the flashback sequence as well as a few other things were simply mind-boggling and his way out of the mess was the most beautiful moment in the whole show. The music was another point which contributed a great part to the overall feel during this episode. Only one word can describe it: amazing ;)

But I have to add that several other episodes were just as great.

Episode 2 (Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu I) - The beginning of it all. The introduction sequence where Kyon points out that he graduated from all those wishful dreams but actually yearns for something like that to happen was really well done in its black/white style with the blurred flashbacks and the way it lead into Haruhi's introduction, this is truly a genuine moment. Followed up by his narration, pointing out her quirks and finally resulting in her going out of her "melancholy" for the first time. It was a precious moment and the development in this one episode was interesting and well conveyed.

Episode 10 (Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu IV) - The battle was visually stunning, and it was quite surprising to see Asakura go that early, this is probably the episode where everybody who's watching should realise that it isn't just a "fun ride" but has much more to it. Also nice development for Yuki, actually the start of it.

Episode 1 (Asahina Mikuru no Bouken) - As pointed out by other people, this one does feature incredible animation and style, to make it look just like a real amateur movie and to include all of those fine details, this episode is overall a stroke of genius.

Episode 12 (Live a Life) - Once again visually on a whole other level, the concert, Hirano Aya's performance, the songs and all the details which make it almost like real,

Episode 11 (The Day of Sagittarius) - The tribute to LOGH, once again visually stunning, this is perhaps the most amazing starship battle ever featured in an anime and puts wannabes like Glass no Kantai into shame. Yuki's development during this episode was nice to watch and hillarious as well. Another thing to note are Kyon's "-_-" moments, yet another thing on my list which attributes to his character as one of the few males I don't hate, but actually like a lot. Oh and can't forget the classic music here.

Episode 5 (Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu III) - Do I hear GAINAX here, yeah, I do. =P
But on a more serious note, the sequence at the beginning of the episode was portrayed in a way so it did add to Yuki's explanation, out of this world. And Kyon's "I'll be frank. I have no idea what you are talking about." pretty much sums it up, another plus point for him by the way. It's also nice how they portray the other's explanations, so that it fits to their status as alien, time-traveler and esper in the end.

And last but not least Episode 13 (Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu V) - While being viewed as insignificant and boring by a lot of people, they tend to miss the most important points, such as the extended explanation by Itsuki, the first appearence of the closed space and the giants, and Haruhi's flashback which explains her character a lot. It was really a good idea to place Live a Life directly before that episode at the end of the show and close it up with Yuuutsu VI, because that way the viewer does get a lot of information on Haruhi and can understand her much better, it also leads into an end where we clearly see how much she did develop, mostly because of Kyon. Oh and it features the most stunning cg sequence in a tv series so far, when was a drive with a car that interesting as it was here. ;)
Old 2006-07-04, 01:30   Link #46
clearacell
Otaku with tacos

I was using this as my sig on another forum for a bit in homage of that great episode...but I chose 4 because it was a great stand alone episode that sums up everything about the serires...if you want to get someone else to watch this show, episode 4 is the one you show them.
Old 2006-07-04, 02:47   Link #47
Maids! Maids! Maids!
Tsuruya Cultist

There are a lot of great beginnings and far too many not-so-great endings. This series had a great beginning and a great ending (well, two great endings) and a whole lot of greatness in the middle. I decided to download the first episode after reading a particular comment here. Someone (Catgirls, I think) said the first episode had "balls." "Wow," I thought, "how often do you hear that?" And it did! Starting a series like this took a lot of guts. It was bound to cause confusion and alienate a bunch of people as well. It also set the tone for a series that deserved every bit of hype and praise it received.

And the Episode 1 OP still makes me laugh. I'm listening to it now. Beam attack!
Old 2006-07-04, 12:18   Link #48
raphaël
trainee archangel

Send a message via AIM to raphaël
Thumbs down bad bad poll, too painful to be answered! ^^

Ok, it looks like I'm not the only who voted ep.5. ( We are 2, as I'm posting)

Why ep.5? Because I like being different.
Then I enjoyed incomprehensible dialogues. I like Itsuki, because no one does. I loved the captions afk made during Yuki's speech. Then, as I said in the proper thread, it's the first time in years I've been so stunned by a "scenario theory".

ep.5 rules.

Woa, you don't know how hard it is to say such a thing when you realize there's no episode you didn't like.
I don't remember what I voted exactly. Always 9 or 10. Don't blame me, I think I gave a 8 to the concert. Don't know why. Loved it as well, no need to mention it. But it was not as interesting and original as the others, even though the songs are great. Then I really meant not to rate 10 all the time, so...
Old 2006-07-04, 17:09   Link #49
Noppapana
> Haruhiist <

Send a message via MSN to Noppapana
ep2 .... the first time i have seen Haruhi <3 and the cutie struck my heart
yes i am desperate

anyway next ep .. episode 5 , the 3 cuties look sooo cute in this ep especially Yuki and the whole ep has an interesting story and the animation is great
Old 2006-07-04, 17:17   Link #50
BakaOnna

I voted for ep. 10 because Yuki is awesome, and the animation and visuals in that battle sequence was just absolutely stunning and beautiful. Next favorite would have to be 14 followed by 12.
Old 2006-07-04, 17:57   Link #51
SvenTheSweeper
***** YES!! *****

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sphinx
I voted for Episode 1. After all this it was never topped. Several reasons:

It's the most stunning visually. Episode 10 has explosive effects, Episode 12 has the jaw-dropping 2:40 concert sequence, the rest of the series maintains a lofty standard that many shows can't reach in their best moments. Episode 1 tops them all. It takes a lot of work to make hand-drawn animation look like a bad student film shot with crappy DV equipment. They had to add oversaturation/undersaturation, the (intentionally bad) focus effects, the unconventional camera angles, the high detail on the mundane backgrounds (how much time did they spend drawing that stationery store?), the little acting screw-ups that had to be carefully animated in. I would guess they spent the most time and money on episode 1 out of the whole series.

It's the funniest episode. Kyon's deadpan humor really shines. He's a natural narrator and he plays that role through the whole series, but since he is literally narrating the film (and doesn't have any spoken-out-loud lines himself until the end) his commentary flows better in episode 1. His introduction of each character is hilarious: Yuki's is "Even if she were ordinary, she sure doesn't look like a normal person and naturally, she was actually an evil magician. And an alien on top of that." The action can't get more ludicrous- Mikuru running past the camera not once but three times, the god-awful "fight scenes" between Yuki and Mikuru, Tsuruya-san's inability to stay in character ("Sorry, Mikuru. I'm being mind-controlled, you see."), Itsuki's cringe-worthy overacting... God, it just goes on and on and on.

Third, it's a sort of series-in-miniature. The student film is packed full of clues about the nature of SOS-dan, about the motives of the characters, and about the crazy mindset of Haruhi herself. Itsuki and Yuki break into long, laborious arguments that seem to have nothing to do with the plot of the movie, but a great deal with the plot of the show. Each character's role is closer to fact than fiction. And the muddled, non-linear, genre-busting plot of the student film mirrors the layout of the show's storyline. Episode 1 tells you almost nothing about the real circumstances of SOS-Dan and barely shows the faces of the two main characters- yet it accurately imitates (and spoofs) the rest of the series.

If Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu has a lasting impact on the anime industry as a whole it will be due to the extraordinary qualities of Episode 1. It transformed the series from a tiny blip on the radar to The Hit Show of the season literally overnight.

Episode 1 is my favorite.

Sphinx’s review is hard to top. I would agree and add the following:

I have repeatedly played episode 1 the most, out of all 14 episodes. The whole movie premise is so wonderfully absurd. The music is wonderfully addictive and campy. I find myself smiling when I hear it.

When ever I watch episode 1, I pick up new details or appreciate seeing them again.

A few (but not the only) examples:
1) I am frequently amused by the film credits that list club members playing movie characters that use their real life names (e.g. Nagato Yuuki as Nagato Yuuki, Koizumi Itsuki as Koizumi Itsuki, Etc.). Also poor Kyon in the credits-> Other Menial Task=Kyon.

2) The absurdity of Mikuru as the Combat Waitress from the future in the bunny girl outfit.

3) The out of order continuity of shots. Also the way shots have the actors are standing in same direction when talking to each other.

4) When Yuki jumps Mikuru and attacks her on the ground, Haruhi says, “That’s not in the script” rather than quit attacking Mikuru. That just shows you Haruhi’s priority is with the movie more than Mikuru’s welfare.

5) However, Yuki and Mikuru are together in commercials promoting an electronics store and model shop even when they are supposed to be enemies.

6) Memorable lines. Yuki’s line, “We must end this before our lunch break is over” in the last Mikuru vs. Yuki battle on the rooftop.

7) Shamisen, the speaking cat, was an out of nowhere surprise.

8) At the end of the movie, Kyon’s WTF look and Mikuru’s deject look.

Gotou Yuuko’s performance as Mikuru singing the opening song off-key is brilliant and genius. I always get a smile when I hear it, especially when she yells “Beam Attack”. If SHnY ever get licensed outside of Japan, the new voice actress for Mikuru will have tough act to follow because Gotou-san’s performance was just so good. She has set a high standard. It is hard to imagine anyone else doing Mikuru other than her.
Old 2006-07-04, 18:19   Link #52
ImClueless
Rawr

Episode 10 edges out 1, 11, 12, and 14 with the combat sequence as well as the presence of older Mikuru and Ryoko. Although the other ones were so bleeping good as well...
Old 2006-07-04, 19:55   Link #53
Akuryou
*cackle* *cackle*

Send a message via MSN to Akuryou
I have my doubts; it'll be either episode 10, or episode 11.

Episode 10:
Yes, they did cut the OP, but they managed to fit everything they needed to make it an awesome [if not the most awesome] episode in the series. The small, yet sweet, fight between Yuki and Asakura as one of the most impressive anime works I've ever seen. Plus, there's the big [oh, big] Mikuru-chan. Could it be less than perfect?

Episode 11:
Simply amazing. Like some said in the Episode 11 Discussion Thread, KyoAni should really do a sci-fi series, because this was amazing. Yuki's moeness went overlimit in this episode, as did her super haxz0rz 1337 typing skillz. The humor in this episode was also first class, and the music was superb. Definately, a masterpiece, too.
Old 2006-07-04, 20:04   Link #54
Matt Soulblade
1000 times better

Episode 14. Wonderful.
And I love endings
Old 2006-07-04, 21:42   Link #55
nadare

Send a message via MSN to nadare
episode 14...

There are only few anime which has good endings. This is one of them. The ending has more impact to me than the other episodes.
Old 2006-07-04, 23:52   Link #56
Agent86
Yuki-ist and Hina-geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth-kun
I go for Yuutsu IV, because I'm a Yuki fan.
Heh. I vote for Day of Sagittarius. Because I'm a Yuki fan.
Old 2006-07-05, 02:20   Link #57
saphyre

Episode 12 ftw.
Love the concert.
Old 2006-07-05, 03:46   Link #58
Wrath88
Kissing...

Live A Live, that was really beautiful. Great insight into Haruhi's character, lots of humour, but best of all, TWO great songs. I can't stop listening to them.

Day of Sagittarius 3 is my second best one. I loved the graphics, and they made it fun.
Old 2006-07-05, 07:10   Link #59
Boxy-
Haruhi-ist

Its impossible to give a diffinitive answer for me, I enjoyed every single episode. I picked 11 because i like Yuki alot and im also a RTS gamer so the ep made me warm and fuzzy on the inside.
Old 2006-07-05, 14:27   Link #60
killmoms
Former Triad Typesetter

Okay, so I'm gonna go against the grain and say Episode 9 barely ekes out the 12/14 one-two combo (which are just above 1) in my top 4.

Why episode 9, the one that more people voted "boring" and "pointless" than any other in the series? I think that's why I liked it. After an entire series (chronologically) of absurd action and crazy happenings, using this small "slice-of-life" moment to end the series on a nostalgic note was a stroke of brilliance. It made me want another season of the show long before this season was actually done.

12, of course, is up there for the music segment alone—easily the coolest music segment ever seen in an anime to date. KyoAni must've blown a LOT of dollars doing that one. It also had a lot of nice Haruhi development, which is always fun to see.

14 is a magnificent "end note" for the series, which is even more interesting considering it's technically in the middle of the story chronologically. Its ending not only satisfies the desire for a series to go out on a high note emotionally, it also throws into sharp relief the rest of the series that follows is chronologically by revealing a critical plot event that guides the rest of the episodes. It shows that sometimes the "biggest" moments of a series (and, by extension, life) don't come at the "end," but someplace in the middle.

And 1, for all the reasons listed above, comes up high in the list. The sheer amount of work required to achieve the look they did, and the dead-on parody of typical high school student film... I was laughing throughout the entire thing, and watching it again after seeing the rest of the series shows how much they were "revealing" at the time. One of the funniest moments for me was the dialogue between Itsuki and Yuki, because they're breaking the 180° rule—they're talking to each other, but looking off the same side of the frame. Such an elementary rule to break, but extra hilarious for those of us who've ever shot a movie.

It will be interesting to see how these episodes hold up when I watch the series in chronological order.
Closed Thread