AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2012-05-23, 19:00   Link #5781
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

AFAIK it is not that cats (or monkeys) hate water, it is just that they have low levels of skin fat and a shower of cold water can reduce drastically their body temperature. On the other hand sea mammals like dolphins and whales have plenty of skin fat so even swimming in the artic is a pleasen sensation for them.
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-23, 19:34   Link #5782
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhomochevsky View Post
No, do not do this.
It will not work and may only make the cat agressive, or reclusive. The cat does not know it did something wrong, so punishing it will not make it regret it's 'sins'. Cats aren't that smart. It will not be able to understand the connection.
If you can catch it in the act however, it might be a good idea to chase it away. Maybe use a water pistol, if your cat hates water. That way it does not directly connect the bad experience to you.

When our two male cats did this, my father used some strong smelling chemicals, to nullify the markings. The cats never used the spots again after that (otherwise they will mark it again and again, to keep it fresh).
I think he used dissolved ammoniac (he's a chemist, so maybe he used some more advanced stuff too, I'm not sure ).
I have yelled at him, tried to reason with him which involves grovelling, and spraying strong vinegar but nope, this little Terminator still goes on with his habit.

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-23, 19:56   Link #5783
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUAHAHAHAHAHA View Post
I'm at my wits' end. My cat has been urinating everywhere as a way of marking his territory and I am going crazy cleaning up after him. He's around 6 months old, and I'm thinking of taking him to the vet to cut his balls off so that his sexual desire(he has been mounting a Japanese doll in the living room every morning) could be suppressed but I will have to wait until next month. In the mean time, could anyone suggest anything to me that might help to prevent him from urinating everywhere? I googled but so far, the methods that I have tried did not produce a positive result.
Too late for snipping. Cats should be neutered before they "hit puberty" for best results. There's a fair chance he'll continue the habit now that it is established. And it is fundamental to a male UNneutered cat to spray and mark his territory.

Call your humane society and see what they suggest.
Old 2012-05-23, 20:18   Link #5784
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

Then........I might as well choose to leave him intact. A couple of my friends who have cats themselves told me that it is not very important to neuter cats because they will be more prone to contract urinary tract disease as well as increase in food intake which may result in obesity.

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-25, 09:49   Link #5785
mit7059

Quote:
In Win7 you can tack some programs to the bottom left of the taskbar for easy access.

For some of these, if clicked they start the program 'on itself', gaining a light background to show the program is active now, but not taking up any more space (this is good).

Others branch out another icon on the taskbar and have that represent the active program, while the original icon that was clicked is still there too, but inactive (this is bad).

Anyone knows, what's causing this different behavior?
I have a related question. I was experiencing similar results when I pinned a windows explorer icon to my taskbar so I would have easy access to my files without having to go to the desktop. However I found that this would just start a second icon which the folders would stack on and I abandoned the initial icon. However no matter how many time i unpin the original windows explorer icon every time I restart my computer it comes back! This is very annoying, I would like it to be gone permanently.

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
mit7059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-25, 13:21   Link #5786
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Is there a book or guide on how to be a soda jerk? I have read about them in a couple of books recently and it seems that they are some sort of long-lost magicians of modern society.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-25, 13:51   Link #5787
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Is there a book or guide on how to be a soda jerk? I have read about them in a couple of books recently and it seems that they are some sort of long-lost magicians of modern society.
I've not seen a book on the subject.. but yeah, they're like the "non-alcoholic" bartenders of a lost age
Old 2012-05-25, 14:37   Link #5788
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

A 'soda jerk'?
Is that the guy, that secretly shakes your soda can, so it explodes in your face when you open it?

I hate those jerks!
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-25, 14:41   Link #5789
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I've not seen a book on the subject.. but yeah, they're like the "non-alcoholic" bartenders of a lost age
Actually I am thinking of running a soda pushcart on Friday and Saturday evenings. I even designed a folding bar on paper, but now I need a soda jerk who can :

1. Speak 3 Asian languages, 2 European Languages, and code-switch the accent between British (Queen's) and Yankee English.

2. Toss ice-cream and douse them with soda.

3. Operate at least 4 types of small arms.

4. Know enough science, maths, politics, geography, history, economics, finance, literature to hold conversation with almost any professional in their field.

Female applicants must be legal lolis.

Quote:
A 'soda jerk'?
Is that the guy, that secretly shakes your soda can, so it explodes in your face when you open it?

I hate those jerks!
No. What I mean was them.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-25, 16:32   Link #5790
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Actually I am thinking of running a soda pushcart on Friday and Saturday evenings. I even designed a folding bar on paper, but now I need a soda jerk who can :

1. Speak 3 Asian languages, 2 European Languages, and code-switch the accent between British (Queen's) and Yankee English.

2. Toss ice-cream and douse them with soda.

3. Operate at least 4 types of small arms.

4. Know enough science, maths, politics, geography, history, economics, finance, literature to hold conversation with almost any professional in their field.

Female applicants must be legal lolis.

No. What I mean was them.
A red-haired fox loli might meet your needs .... on the lookout:
Spoiler for Possible soda jerk candidate, no one would care what she served...:
Old 2012-05-26, 07:51   Link #5791
monster

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=112473

Strange, it doesn't look like NoSanninWa is back to being a moderator, and yet he/she is one of the creators of the new character discussion threads for AGE. How did that happen?
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-26, 17:53   Link #5792
Kimidori
The Opened Ultimate Gate

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=112473

Strange, it doesn't look like NoSanninWa is back to being a moderator, and yet he/she is one of the creators of the new character discussion threads for AGE. How did that happen?
he requested it?
Old 2012-05-26, 20:51   Link #5793
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimidori View Post
he requested it?
Unlikely, and all the other similar AGE threads have different moderators as the opening post.
Old 2012-05-26, 22:48   Link #5794
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Because we have a system to create new threads in certain cases (threads that have a patterned opening post, like new episode threads, etc.), and this can randomize which account creates the post from a list of possible choices (usually the list of mods and admins). The threads are still created by a moderator... but not necessarily the one whose name appears on the opening post. In this case, it looks like NoSanninWa's username was chosen from the list.
Old 2012-05-26, 22:51   Link #5795
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Because we have a system to create new threads in certain cases (threads that have a patterned opening post, like new episode threads, etc.), and this can randomize which account creates the post from a list of possible choices (usually the list of mods and admins). The threads are still created by a moderator... but not necessarily the one whose name appears on the opening post. In this case, it looks like NoSanninWa's username was chosen from the list.
I got mine made by monir. It was just a request by he named it after me. It shocked me but thankful. Thanks again Sir monir!!!
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-27, 20:22   Link #5796
Rizare

If someone wants to begin developing critical thinking, how does one do so? I feel that critical thinking, in general, will be helpful in long term. Just asking this because of this thread, i like the depth of the conversations in general,

Beside this site (I didn't read much yet, not much time for now), how else could I develop?
Rizare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-27, 20:33   Link #5797
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I know how I do it NOW.... but how to *start* it? Ever since I was a little kid, I felt an obsession with KNOWING and LEARNING so I read voraciously the non-fiction. We had a World Book Encyclopedia when I was in elementary school which I read from A-Z. If I didn't know a word, I looked it up. I'm a news junkie and I don't use the EasyBrain news - I use the news on PBS (News Hour), the PBS analysis shows, the BBC, Euro Journal, Deutsche Welk, etc.
I approach everything with the scientific method. I discard beliefs and ideas that don't hold up under cross-examination. I've changed my opinion on topics rather dramatically as I accumulate more facts on it.
I took debate in high school and college - I recommend *everyone* take debate (not just speech, though that's helpful). I also got a college degree in a discipline that oozed in the scientific method.

Thought exercise: take an opinion you hold dear. Research the heck out of reasons it might suck. If those reasons outweigh the original reasons you had that opinion - *change* your opinion. If you can do that, then you've started down the road of critical thinking. Stay informed, understand that education and study is a life long endeavor because otherwise your opinion just might be stupid if you haven't done your homework on it.

And.. this is definitely NOT a silly question , it is a great question.

Quote:
Science:
If you don't make mistakes, you're doing it wrong.
If you don't correct those mistakes, you're doing it really wrong.
If you can't accept that you're mistaken, then you're not doing it at all.
edit: ((someone asked about the "reading encyclopedia from A to Z" .... well, there was no "internet" in 1965, no video games, no .... well there was a lot of time ...)

Last edited by Vexx; 2012-05-29 at 16:53.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-28, 00:32   Link #5798
HasuMasu
*Artist

So I'm using Windows 7 Starter on my netbook, sometimes I leave it alone and let the battery run out--knowing that I can hook it up to the charger and start it up again while maintaining the windows I had opened before. Well at least that's what it's supposed to do, sometimes it starts up but the windows I had aren't there anymore.

What's going on?
Old 2012-05-28, 01:21   Link #5799
monster

Check your power settings to make sure that you still have it set to hibernate when the battery is at a critical level.
Old 2012-05-28, 19:06   Link #5800
Seitsuki
Onee!

How smart would it be to use this on glasses?

Tags
problem, q&a, serious