AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2003-12-06, 18:15   Link #1
Rebochan
Clubbing

Talking Miracle Girls

Let's give it up for another classic series hitting the Digisub community!

I've never gotten to see Miracle Girls, but I've heard about it before a few times, but always from people who've been watching anime much longer than I (to be fair, I was in grade school when this one came out.) But this first episode is really sweet, and the preview for the next looks cool. I can't wait to see more of it. Thank you Aikousha for bringing this series to the digisub generation!
Old 2003-12-06, 18:30   Link #2
Kurara
Ningyou Hime

Send a message via ICQ to Kurara Send a message via AIM to Kurara Send a message via MSN to Kurara
I'm so happy people decided to sub Miracle Girls ^___^ I was looking forward to it so much.. I can't wait until new episodes will be released! Yayyy!

Thank you soo much!
Old 2003-12-06, 19:33   Link #3
kuru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurara
I'm so happy people decided to sub Miracle Girls ^___^ I was looking forward to it so much.. I can't wait until new episodes will be released! Yayyy!

Thank you soo much!
Miracle Girls is really sweet. I have all the episodes fansubbed on tape but I'm quite happy it has started to be done digisubbed.

And let me say that's always great when a group decides to do something different, be it old or new, instead of being the 5th or 9th group doing Naruto or Chrno Crusade....
Old 2003-12-06, 20:08   Link #4
Relentless
Certifiably insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuru
Miracle Girls is really sweet. I have all the episodes fansubbed on tape but I'm quite happy it has started to be done digisubbed.
Let me guess, Arctic Animation, right? I have a couple of tapes, eps. 1-4 and something in the 20's. It was very charming, the characters were less annoying than in pure magical transforming girl series, but the video quality was so bad it hurt my eyes

Still, somebody managed to digitze all of them, filesize was very small, so quality should have been even worse

Quote:
And let me say that's always great when a group decides to do something different, be it old or new, instead of being the 5th or 9th group doing Naruto or Chrno Crusade....
Amen to that. I have kindled hopes somebody will digisub Glass no Kamen, including the OVA. And for God's sake, somebody sub Onii-sama E... before I die, please!
Old 2003-12-06, 21:12   Link #5
SoupForInsanity
Kawaiiiiii

Send a message via AIM to SoupForInsanity Send a message via MSN to SoupForInsanity
^^

Quote:
amen AMEN to that!
Sure, it's fun to see the new stuff, but sometimes it gets to be all the same. I like variety ^^ It's really refreshing to see some old series, too. I like watching the "classics" ^^ Thank you very much for bringing us digisubbed miracle girls!!
Old 2003-12-07, 02:41   Link #6
LiQuid|J
Pantsu Faito!

Quote:
You deserve a cookie.
Old 2003-12-07, 22:05   Link #7
Koshiba

Send a message via AIM to Koshiba Send a message via MSN to Koshiba
I was really surprised to find this for download. ^^ I've read some of the manga and had been wanting to check out the anime for a while now and I was just gonna buy VHS fansubs. It's great that someone actually thought of doing this series. ^^
Old 2004-01-19, 23:50   Link #8
SleeplessHeart
Sakuya - Rosa Tsukkomi

I really appreciate Aikou group for fansubbing "Miracle Girls".
It has one of the sweetest anime stories all time. Even if you have money to buy its original VHS, you can't find them on any auction sites these days.

The manga release by TokyoPop has a disadvantage, inaccurate translation and all names are converted to western names. So I find the most enjoyable way to enjoy this story is by watching the anime rather than reading the manga.
Old 2004-01-21, 07:49   Link #9
Tangen
Aikousha Co-Founder

Hi Tangen from Aikousha Fansubs here.

Thanks for all the praises we've been getting. Hope you guys (and gals) enjoyed the first two episodes.
Right now we urgently need a translator as well as an editor to help out with the Miracle Girls project. If you think you can help, or know someone who can, don't hesistate to contact us on our irc channel.

As for Miracle Girls episode 3... should be out sometime Feb?
Old 2004-01-21, 08:33   Link #10
kuru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangen
Hi Tangen from Aikousha Fansubs here.

Thanks for all the praises we've been getting. Hope you guys (and gals) enjoyed the first two episodes.
Right now we urgently need a translator as well as an editor to help out with the Miracle Girls project. If you think you can help, or know someone who can, don't hesistate to contact us on our irc channel.

As for Miracle Girls episode 3... should be out sometime Feb?
Tangen, probably you're aware of this, but think I should mention it anyway.

The entire Miracle Girls series has been fansubbed (as traditional fansubs, on tape).

This means your group doesn't need to do all the work again. Specially for episodes 1-14 and 29-46 you can get fully translated and timed scripts available for download on the net.

Episodes 1-14 are the original Arctic Animation with additional work from NT-Anime and Group Hooseki. Episodes 29 to 46 are original Group Hooseki translations, done by Spazum, that has an extensive knowledge of Japanese, having lived in Japan for several years.

You can get these files for download from Script Club . You'll need to register, but it's free.

Scripts for episodes 15 to 28 aren't available for download, as far as I know, but Arctic Animation did fansubbed these episodes and you can get tapes of those on traditional fansubbers distributors. I recommend Sachi , as they're also a great fansubber (they've fansubbed To Heart, Tenshi ni Narumon, Hana Yori Dango, Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne and more), but you also try other sources (like Soyokaze ).

Now, Arctic Animation didn't have the best of reputations, but I'd say they did a decent job with Miracle Girls.... And episodes 1-14 have been reworked by NT-Anime and Group Hooseki that were some of the best fansub groups of the past. With episodes 29-46, you can bet they'll be high quality, as they were translated by Spazum.

Old 2004-01-21, 19:20   Link #11
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relentless
... for God's sake, somebody sub Onii-sama E... before I die, please!
http://www.technogirls.org/barbara/anime/tapelist.htm - not much chance that anyone will do a better job on this. The final volume is nearly finished.
Old 2004-01-23, 17:34   Link #12
Elepsis
Lives under a bridge

Quote:
Tangen, probably you're aware of this, but think I should mention it anyway.

The entire Miracle Girls series has been fansubbed (as traditional fansubs, on tape).

This means your group doesn't need to do all the work again. Specially for episodes 1-14 and 29-46 you can get fully translated and timed scripts available for download on the net.

Episodes 1-14 are the original Arctic Animation with additional work from NT-Anime and Group Hooseki. Episodes 29 to 46 are original Group Hooseki translations, done by Spazum, that has an extensive knowledge of Japanese, having lived in Japan for several years.

You can get these files for download from Script Club . You'll need to register, but it's free.

Scripts for episodes 15 to 28 aren't available for download, as far as I know, but Arctic Animation did fansubbed these episodes and you can get tapes of those on traditional fansubbers distributors. I recommend Sachi , as they're also a great fansubber (they've fansubbed To Heart, Tenshi ni Narumon, Hana Yori Dango, Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne and more), but you also try other sources (like Soyokaze ).

Now, Arctic Animation didn't have the best of reputations, but I'd say they did a decent job with Miracle Girls.... And episodes 1-14 have been reworked by NT-Anime and Group Hooseki that were some of the best fansub groups of the past. With episodes 29-46, you can bet they'll be high quality, as they were translated by Spazum.
While your suggestion may be a good one, generally just because a script has been released to the public for consumption does not mean the group welcomes its use on other fansubs. I don't really represent Aikousha (though I am the editor for their Miracle Girls), but most respectable groups are hesitant to use VHS subbers' scripts without explicit permission from the creators of said scripts. It's simple politeness. Thus, in order for us to use these scripts we'd need to get in touch with people from Arctic, NT-Anime, and Group Hooseki -- a rather difficult proposition -- and persuade them to grant us permission to do these subs. Some groups do manage this (Anime_Daisuki's Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne uses reworked scripts from Sachi, for example), but it's still rather difficult to pull off, especially in cases where the old subbers are no longer active.

Furthermore, just because their scripts are timed does not mean they are timed appropriately for our medium; they also almost certainly don't meet modern editing standards. The required quality for a fansub release has gone up significantly in the past few years, and just using a VHS script will yield a release that, by today's standards, is considered quite subpar. Thus, we'd still have to re-time and re-edit any scripts we got from script club. That's not to mention the need for translation checks (which are quite important when you're using a script of questionable origin for your release). We'd still be doing most of the work, so it wouldn't be a great benefit to us.

But anyway, before I ramble even longer, let me summarize: It's one thing to use scripts when you have the permission of the group who worked on them to use them. It's a whole other thing when you just go in and appropriate them without asking. Thus, for Aikousha, using the existing scripts is probably not an option.
Old 2004-01-23, 20:21   Link #13
lomeando

Damn you... I've been serving digitized VHS rips of the complete Miracle Girls for around two years now. Just last month I finally decided to burn it off... and now you start releasing this.

Joking aside... I'd argue that tracking down old groups is at least much more straightforward than finding motivated translators. Since everything was handled by snail-mail back then, you can often find their real names, or since the community was much smaller, people who actually know them.

I'd also say that there were plenty of groups back then who did a much better job editing than plenty of groups today. Also the other way around, and I think we know which side of the median Artic usually fell on. And even so, in my experience it's much easier to get someone to answer some questions about an episode than it is to get them to translate the entire thing.

That said, you know your circumstances better than anyone else here. If you do have a motivated translator, by all means keep them happy. It's always nice to see someone subbing a series most of today's fans have probably never heard of before.
Old 2004-02-18, 15:39   Link #14
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Having nothing better to do while at work, I figured I'd crawl
out of my hole and finally post something here. If anyone pays
attention to the Miracle Girls credits you'll know who I am.. if not..
well no loss either way. ^^

I love this series, as does the translator despite their grumblings
about Mikage's mumbling ^^; There are some reasons why I
don't want to use the pre-timed and pre-translated scripts, but I
have no intention of publicly discussing them ~.~ I'd have to say
though, that my main reason for wanting to do this series stems
from the sad truth that VHS tapes degrade with use. I currently
own the entire series on VHS fansubs. Unfortunately, only four or
five of the tapes are still viewable. Digital copies are slightly more
permenant and any data errors can be fixed via patches. ^^;

I'll apologize now for the slowness with which the episodes will
inevitably be released, but I'm a bit of a perfectionist and that will
affect the release speed.. (manual frame corrections aren't fun -.-)

Anyway, I hope you all enjoy the series and I'll work on getting the
episodes out in a more timely manner. ^^

*floats off before his boss returns.. *
Old 2004-07-07, 01:44   Link #15
SleeplessHeart
Sakuya - Rosa Tsukkomi

I am so glad that they haven't dropped this project yet.
Another 47 episodes left!
Old 2004-07-07, 08:06   Link #16
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

I already read the description sypnosis for this shoujo at AnimeNfo, and what I can comment about seems that this anime could it be the predeccesor of Futari wa Pretty Cure.
Old 2004-07-07, 10:53   Link #17
SleeplessHeart
Sakuya - Rosa Tsukkomi

Miracle Girls was released a long time ago (early 90s).
During that period, mahou shoujo theme was very popular. What seperates Miracle Girls to the other mahou shojou titles is the simplicity and realistic background of the story. There is no super-enemy who wants to take over the world, it is just the story of two girls gifted with extra-ordinary ability learn to cope with their lives.
Old 2004-07-07, 16:10   Link #18
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido
I already read the description sypnosis for this shoujo at AnimeNfo, and what I can comment about seems that this anime could it be the predeccesor of Futari wa Pretty Cure.
It really has a lot more in common with Kimagure Orange Road than it does with Pretty Cure. It is more about coping with mundane world problems and first love, than enemies.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Closed Thread