AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier - Episode 22 Rating
Perfect 10 94 58.39%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 41 25.47%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 10 6.21%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 1.86%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 3.11%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 1.24%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 6 3.73%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-09-10, 20:22   Link #821
abynormal
Skull Fairy Scout

Send a message via AIM to abynormal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
If there's a second season, I hope it focuses more on military and political themes, with absolutely no singing or idols of any kind. Make it more intelligent and grown up.
In other words, Gundam.
Old 2008-09-10, 20:25   Link #822
Wesley84

Quote:
Originally Posted by abynormal View Post
In other words, Gundam.
Depends upon what Gundam.
Old 2008-09-10, 20:29   Link #823
abynormal
Skull Fairy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
Depends upon what Gundam.
Either way, without the romance or pop culture elements, Macross would be another run-of-the-mill mecha series. That's basically what happened to Robotech after the first season.
Old 2008-09-10, 20:43   Link #824
Wesley84

Quote:
Originally Posted by abynormal View Post
Either way, without the romance or pop culture elements, Macross would be another run-of-the-mill mecha series. That's basically what happened to Robotech after the first season.
I didn't say no romance.
Old 2008-09-10, 20:49   Link #825
wolfboy
:3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deryns View Post
While I generally support Sheryl over Ranka as far as the triangle goes the lack of or emphasis of one or the other does not make or break an episode for me.
That's not what I can say for a lot of people on here.
Old 2008-09-10, 20:52   Link #826
abynormal
Skull Fairy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
That's not what I can say for a lot of people on here.
Oh how I wish I could disagree >.<
Old 2008-09-10, 20:58   Link #827
Goregeist

As much as I kinda like sheryl and kinda Parked my ass in her Camp, I'd actually prefer May'n... the real thing is always better
Old 2008-09-10, 21:03   Link #828
CeruleaFeng
2qt2bstr8 ♥♥

Send a message via MSN to CeruleaFeng
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goregeist View Post
As much as I kinda like sheryl and kinda Parked my ass in her Camp, I'd actually prefer May'n... the real thing is always better
Then you have to pick Aya Endo, too.

Unless you're simply referring to Sheryl's singing.
Old 2008-09-11, 01:12   Link #829
Goregeist

nah I'm goin with Nakabayashi, she's more... fresh
Old 2008-09-11, 06:48   Link #830
kilroy0097
Michiko Malandro = Sexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Regardless of how awesome Klan is, she is no substitute for the Galactic Fairy. If Kawamori intends to kill Sheryl so that Alto and Klan could be hooked up in season II, I don't think I'd forgive him.

- Tak
Normally I would say yes I agree with you on this one. However knowing the caliber of Kawamori's storytelling ability I believe that even by having Sheryl die via her illness, it would be the tragic death of a heroine, which might vault Alto into a different mindset sending him down the path of legendary characters of previous series. Another Max, especially if Klan does become a romantic interest because the comparison becomes obvious then. Or Hikaru with a Ranka twist if and only if Ranka does in fact grow up and become a woman. Needless to say, Sheryl death might be something that wakes Alto up and leads to him being more of an adult and in the future leadership.

You never can tell. They can twist this things many different ways if a Season 2 happened.
Old 2008-09-11, 07:16   Link #831
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Couldn't agree more. Let's hope the series (season?) finale doesn't disappoint.

Old 2008-09-11, 07:19   Link #832
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroy0097 View Post
Normally I would say yes I agree with you on this one. However knowing the caliber of Kawamori's storytelling ability I believe that even by having Sheryl die via her illness, it would be the tragic death of a heroine, which might vault Alto into a different mindset sending him down the path of legendary characters of previous series. Another Max, especially if Klan does become a romantic interest because the comparison becomes obvious then. Or Hikaru with a Ranka twist if and only if Ranka does in fact grow up and become a woman. Needless to say, Sheryl death might be something that wakes Alto up and leads to him being more of an adult and in the future leadership.

You never can tell. They can twist this things many different ways if a Season 2 happened.
This has nothing to do with storytelling ability. There is only one Galactic Fairy in the universe, just as there is but one Klan Klan. To say that the latter is a substitute is an insult to Sheryl's character.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2008-09-11, 08:04   Link #833
kilroy0097
Michiko Malandro = Sexy

Alright. So you don't want a Season 2 without Sheryl? Because personally I'm able to get over the fact that she's not there in order to enjoy more Macross. Sheryl is not the reason I started watching Macross and she won't be the reason I stop watching Macross. But you can go hold your breath if you want.
Old 2008-09-11, 08:09   Link #834
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

I could go for another season without Sheryl, but they'd better have a very good reason for it, tho. I admit to being slightly interested in learning more about Klan's future happenings...

But, honestly, I just wish for a good conclusion to this arc, first. Kawamori does have a legacy to be truthful to, anyway.

Old 2008-09-11, 08:16   Link #835
kilroy0097
Michiko Malandro = Sexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
I could go for another season without Sheryl, but they'd better have a very good reason for it, tho. I admit to being slightly interested in learning more about Klan's future happenings...

But, honestly, I just wish for a good conclusion to this arc, first. Kawamori does have a legacy to be truthful to, anyway.
I agree. Regardless of what happens I hope it turns out well as a story and I do genuinely want a 2nd Season. Not only because I want to see more Macross but also because of the tradition, so far, of each Macross series being more than just 25 eps.
Old 2008-09-11, 08:18   Link #836
4Tran

I've finally got a chance to catch up with the last few episodes, and I'm quite impressed. They're not quite as good as episodes 5 and 13, but they're enough to cement Macross Frontier's position as one of my favorite shows (ironically enough, right behind the original SDF Macross).

Some additional thoughts on episode 22:

Ranka: I think that her character has developed quite a lot in the last few episodes, and mostly for the better at that. Her voice reaches the Vajra, so it shouldn't be surprising that their voices reach her as well. As a result, she can feel empathy for them that no one else does. So far, this is couched in terms of "helping Ai-kun", but it's really a manifestation of something that's been building since episode 14. Back then, I thought it was ironic that Ranka's singing evoked a feeling of hope of peace (for everyone) while it helped SMS and NUNS to slaughter the Vajra. It was only a matter of time until the problems inherent in that dichotomy.

Sheryl: She's more awesome now than she had ever been, 'nuff said.

Alto and Sheryl: Their relationship has progressed a great deal. Episode 22 strongly suggests that they had sex, although we won't have any confirmation until we see them interact again. In a way, it's not important whatever the case since the important points are that Sheryl had laid everything out front, and that Alto has effectively committed his all to supporting her. Any act physical initimacy pales in comparison to that, and would only serve to accent the level of commitment.

Grace: She's a much more effective and sinister villain than I had expected. I hope that the last few episodes will do a good job of revealing her motivations.

The SMS mutiny: They were given a very difficult choice once they knew that Leon had murdered the President Glass. To be subsumed into NUNS would mean likely death for whomever Leon suspected knew about his betrayal, and that the survivors would have to work for a tyrant (undoubtedly under the close scrutiny of his secret police). Mutinying is outright treason, but it also buys the Macross Quarter group time to find a way to take down Leon. Bilrer passed the warning on probably because he knew that Leon was up to no good, and by doing so, he gave the SMS crew a chance to do something about it while still maintaining plausible deniability.

On a different note, Klein Klan's send off was superb.

Alto not joining the mutiny: This makes sense on a couple of levels. First off, he didn't get a chance to read the SMS message until he had already made his committment to Sheryl. Second, his attitude makes it obvious that the message didn't say anything about Leon being a traitor. As such, he saw it in terms of Macross Quarter abandoning Frontier (and Sheryl) in its hour of need. In a way, this is the way that Ozma wanted it as well, since a clean separation like this would mean that the SMS people who stayed behind would be under far less suspicion.

OP: Lion is probably my favorite vocal in Macross Frontier - I love duets, and I'm only disappointed that there isn't any prominent male singer in the show for a male-female duet. The OP animation itself is also excellent; and I think that it shows how the climax will have to happen: Sheryl and Ranka joining in song. Another interesting note is that unlike the vast majority of OPs of the last few years, instead of showing us the plethora of characters, it focuses primarily on the main cast along with a single shot of Brera. This kind of OP direction was a lot more common a few years ago, and I wish more shows used it.

Quote:
Normally I would say yes I agree with you on this one. However knowing the caliber of Kawamori's storytelling ability I believe that even by having Sheryl die via her illness, it would be the tragic death of a heroine, which might vault Alto into a different mindset sending him down the path of legendary characters of previous series.
The thing is, Sheryl is a much more interesting character than Alto is. Having her die at the end of a show (either in the climax or the epilogue) makes sense. Using this death as a catalyst for the actions of another character doesn't.

Quote:
Alright. So you don't want a Season 2 without Sheryl? Because personally I'm able to get over the fact that she's not there in order to enjoy more Macross. Sheryl is not the reason I started watching Macross and she won't be the reason I stop watching Macross. But you can go hold your breath if you want.
If a second season is a totally different story rather than being an extension of the first, I think it'd be better if it were to have an all-new cast with only a couple of holdovers.
Old 2008-09-11, 09:50   Link #837
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Talking

Quote:
I agree. Regardless of what happens I hope it turns out well as a story and I do genuinely want a 2nd Season. Not only because I want to see more Macross but also because of the tradition, so far, of each Macross series being more than just 25 eps.
Aren't we forgetting Macross Plus and Zero? Okay, I know they were OVA's, but still...

@4Tran: I agree with most of your post, but I'll reserve judgment on the Quarter's defection until we see more of it. Still reeks of sub-schemes, to me.

Old 2009-09-27, 23:32   Link #838
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Hmm... well, I don't know I get the feeling that the series is losing steam after the excellent episodes 20 and 21. The Sheryl thread of the plot is going very strong, and the Ranka one is promising but as for the rest I get this unsettling feeling that the show has kind of lost direction about what are its plot priorities, specially with so few episodes left. What with introducing the SMS twist this late in the show, the acting president showing his weak side and we are still in the dark as to what the ancient evil conspiracy still in the dark as to what it actually is actually trying to accomplish. I guess I will stop here for today and watch the final 3 episodes tomorrow.
Old 2009-09-28, 07:05   Link #839
forgottendiary
Izanami
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to forgottendiary Send a message via MSN to forgottendiary Send a message via Yahoo to forgottendiary
22??? LE GASP!!! IT'S ONE OF THE BESTEST AWESOMEST EPISODES EVER!!!

You shall take back your blasphemous words!

(jkjk, enjoy the rest of the episodes and let us know when you finally get to ep troll25)
Old 2012-08-07, 15:07   Link #840
angel8

However scheryl has had sex with?
Although the light novel said to have slept together, in the anime version does not understand much.However, sheryl and alto are kissed, or have had sex?
Closed Thread