AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fan Creations

Notices

Old 2004-10-23, 06:45   Link #1
JERI

Arrow JERI's comic thread

For my current drawing know-hows, comics are way more demanding than drawing pin-up pictures. Therefore most of the attempts at comic drawing I submit on the forum is gonna be of lesser quality, with no colors, and likely to be "drafty". So if I were to post them alongside my pin-up pictures, they're really gonna be an eyesore and disrupt the balance.

Therefore I thought it's appropriate to start up a new thread devoted to comics. Anyway, here it is:

http://img53.exs.cx/img53/4254/COMIC-1.jpg
http://img53.exs.cx/img53/5407/COMIC-2.jpg

This is about the sharpest resolution I can get with my digital camera, it doesn't affect you reading them, but the subtle details that I put some effort into are lost.

Now I look back at it, there are so many minor mistakes that it's not funny (if I didn't edit them out with photoshop, they'll look much worse), and by the time I was inking page 2, I was so visually drained that I simply ditched the background altogether.

Well, I guess it ain's a bad start.

I would appreciate any comments/advice you can give me. In particular, I'd like some opinions on how well I achieved a sense of dynamics with the character actions, as well as the naturalness of their expressions.
JERI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-23, 10:13   Link #2
sOnJoOL

Send a message via AIM to sOnJoOL Send a message via MSN to sOnJoOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERI
For my current drawing know-hows, comics are way more demanding than drawing pin-up pictures. Therefore most of the attempts at comic drawing I submit on the forum is gonna be of lesser quality, with no colors, and likely to be "drafty". So if I were to post them alongside my pin-up pictures, they're really gonna be an eyesore and disrupt the balance.

Therefore I thought it's appropriate to start up a new thread devoted to comics. Anyway, here it is:

http://img53.exs.cx/img53/4254/COMIC-1.jpg
http://img53.exs.cx/img53/5407/COMIC-2.jpg

This is about the sharpest resolution I can get with my digital camera, it doesn't affect you reading them, but the subtle details that I put some effort into are lost.

Now I look back at it, there are so many minor mistakes that it's not funny (if I didn't edit them out with photoshop, they'll look much worse), and by the time I was inking page 2, I was so visually drained that I simply ditched the background altogether.

Well, I guess it ain's a bad start.

I would appreciate any comments/advice you can give me. In particular, I'd like some opinions on how well I achieved a sense of dynamics with the character actions, as well as the naturalness of their expressions.
crazy
but ididnt get the one part where he says "suck", ???? other than that, its great
sOnJoOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-23, 10:25   Link #3
Green²
It's bacon!

Cool comic. He won't be getting up for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sOnJoOL
crazy
but ididnt get the one part where he says "suck", ???? other than that, its great
"Slick" ,.. I believe.
Green² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-23, 10:46   Link #4
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Yeah, the word is "slick" and I like how they can use their powers through each other without hurting the other person. hehe. That weird dude got jacked.
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-25, 17:15   Link #5
JERI

Here's another. Be reminded again that the stuff I post in this thread usually have no continuity, if there's a plot/event, it's all conveyed in the pictures I put up with each post.

http://img22.exs.cx/img22/7949/COMIC-3.jpg

Boy did I have fun with the character expressions, I never realise the varieties you can achieve simply by playing with the eyebrows.

By the way, since no one has mentioned anything wrong with my first post, can I assume that I did a good job with protraying the dynamics of character actions?
Old 2004-10-25, 20:41   Link #6
anime-otaku
Lazy Guitarist

Send a message via AIM to anime-otaku Send a message via Yahoo to anime-otaku
Hehehe awesome stuff you got there JERI, I really need to learn a thing or two from you. Those expressions are really good.
anime-otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-25, 21:48   Link #7
.gaara
i'm in love --- :O

ohh ohh quality stuff. the details are well taken care of, the character design looks professional and the shade are used in good place, right feel of the image. keep up the good work.

only suggestion: the panel looks pretty empty. you made a great effort on the character but yet at the same time the background in most place has been ignored. you will definitely make it beautiful by adding stuff > it's always being taught in art classes that you should draw your background. you could try use some simple, light lines for background

and get a scanner I DEMAND!
.gaara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-05, 04:36   Link #8
JERI

a modern soap opera...

I'm quite proud of this one because I've managed to convey religion, stereotype, romance, bestiality and politics all within this one image.

http://img129.exs.cx/img129/5408/COMIC-5.jpg

I simply couldn't make things look straight with my digicam, so ignore the places where the lines are malaligned.
Old 2004-11-05, 06:34   Link #9
Raxial
CG / Color

Send a message via AIM to Raxial
lol, good one. Well drawn too With your skill you might wanna invest in a scanner
Raxial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-05, 07:52   Link #10
silver_sanctuary

...nice...
silver_sanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-05, 09:00   Link #11
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

what happened to page 4?? o_0
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-11, 07:04   Link #12
JERI

No one appreciates single-panel comics anymore...

Old 2004-11-11, 17:27   Link #13
Raxial
CG / Color

Send a message via AIM to Raxial
nudist camps aren't as awesome as they might seem... a lot of older 50's married couples...

well, that's just what I've seen on the news of course. maybe there are some attractive people there, maybe

funny comic though
Raxial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-16, 21:58   Link #14
JERI

Merry Christmas folks, here's five new pages of my comic expedition.

Now this piece of plot simply popped into my head outta nowhere, so I'm afraid I won't be able to explain how they got into their situation, what kinda world they're in, what the theme is, etc. I am however, gonna continue this storyline, so if you do like these characters, you can look forward to their further exploits.

I'd best explain something first. In the last picture, the Chinese word "sishon" was used. This literally means "master-brother", and is (usually) used to refer to any older male studying under the same master as you. I would have simply used "brother" instead, since I care so much about you the readers' convenience, but I just don't feel "brother" alone can properly indicate the nature of their relationship.

Old 2004-12-16, 22:41   Link #15
anime-otaku
Lazy Guitarist

Send a message via AIM to anime-otaku Send a message via Yahoo to anime-otaku
Wow! Those are some really detailed backgrounds you got there(must learn how to do that!). I like your character designs too, really cute girls
anime-otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-17, 11:41   Link #16
Kiva128
Kairin-chan's #1 Fan
*Artist

Hey not a bad start. Not bad at all. It's too bad you don't have a scanner though, it would raise the overall quality a bunch. In anycase, so far you've got a nice setting going on. And while I agree with AO that the backgrounds are good, you can make them even better by using a ruler (hope that didn't come off as rude). Mainly because the buildings look a little wobley sometimes. And the perspective in the picture with all the bridges is a bit confusing. Other than that though, fantastic job.

I like how well done the characters are drawn. You got them down pretty darn good actaully.

Heh...it's kind of funny though. You're doing exactly what I was doing back last year (around Oct-january). I was posting my comic 1 or 2 pages at a time as well. I decided to stop eventually though because I didn't feel telling a story 1-2 pages at a time, was the best way for my manga.

Anywho, great job so far, Jeri. And yeah, inking is hard...and time consuming to say the least.
Old 2004-12-17, 14:36   Link #17
Suki

good work man you are very talent it remind me of the stuff I use do to

would you be interest in joing ateam that is working on amanga if so here their isa link to their forumss4.invisionfree.com/Total_anime/index.php?
Suki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-18, 00:29   Link #18
JERI

I actually would like to tell the story with at least 16 pages at a time, but with my output, it will take me at least 2 months for each set of 16, not to mention I have university studies and club events. That's also why I didn't use a ruler - the hindrance it puts on my output is not worth the results. Thnaks for the compliments on the character expressions, it's an area where I put a lot of focus on. Are you new on the forums, [A-Flux]Kiva128? I look forward to more of your comments in the future.
Old 2004-12-18, 14:27   Link #19
Kiva128
Kairin-chan's #1 Fan
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERI
I actually would like to tell the story with at least 16 pages at a time, but with my output, it will take me at least 2 months for each set of 16, not to mention I have university studies and club events. That's also why I didn't use a ruler - the hindrance it puts on my output is not worth the results. Thnaks for the compliments on the character expressions, it's an area where I put a lot of focus on. Are you new on the forums, [A-Flux]Kiva128? I look forward to more of your comments in the future.
Hehe...no I'm not new here. I've been around since july 2003, although I do tend to lurk around a lot.

Keep the pages coming, and I'll keep the comments coming.

And I understand about not having enough time for stuff. I had to juggle school, and then a job, not to mention just handling my personal life. However I decided that even though I could cut corners and finish quicker, I felt that sacrificing quality for a faster finish would not benefit me. I draw manga not only because it's fun, but also to improve my ability to draw. If I start cutting corners, I feel like I won't be learning as much than if I were to fix my mistakes and take my time.
There were times when I was almost done a panel that I worked on for at least 1-2 hours and started over because I wasn't happy with how it looked.

But university is a bit different than high school so I wouldn't let your manga interfere with your studies. heh.
Old 2004-12-22, 00:26   Link #20
Baara
I get poked a lot... ;_;

I thought it would be too hard to describe my initial reaction upon seeing your comics, so I drew this:

those are amazing! really nice, professional-looking work. You should seriously enter Tokyopop's manga contest and also BUY A SCANNER!! XD

yeah...i hope my little doodle illustrated my feelings on the subject. XD;;
Baara is offline   Reply With Quote