AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2012-10-08, 12:45   Link #1
newsbinreporter

Question Looking for Business/Law/Medical Manga or Anime

Started this tread a number of years ago and I am looking for an update to my favorite settings.

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=68354

Essentially I am looking for Manga (preferred) or Anime which are business/law or medical related.

For businesses, I am looking for stories about building business empires, starting new companies, CEO stories, mergers and acquisitions, business and polictics,..etc.

For law related, basically I am looking for Phoenix Wright or John Grisham type stories.

For medical, stories about doctors, weird disease, hopitals,..etc.

This probably a very small niche but stories that so far interest me that I have read that include some of the elements above:

- Historie
- Team Medical Dragon
- Sprce and Wolf
- Akagi/Kaiji
- Junni Kokki
- Black Jack

I also have Kirosagi on my to-read list.

Please
newsbinreporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-08, 13:46   Link #2
jedinat

Saiunkoku Monogatari - Maybe? I seem to remember the larger part of the story involves the protagonist's ambition to become a court official.
Kurosagi - Might sort of fit in the business/law categories... the protagonist swindles swindlers. edit: well, I guess you already have it on your "to read" list if you made a typo.
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-08, 14:14   Link #3
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

For business manga, you can try Daikichi's Salesmanship if you can find it.
Old 2012-10-08, 16:16   Link #4
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
I don't know if you've seen this, but I'm sure that C – The Money and Soul of Possibility has what you're looking for.
Old 2012-10-08, 17:28   Link #5
newsbinreporter

Awesome, quick answers from already. Yes, made a typo on Kurosagi. Will check out Saiunkoku Monagatari.

Wow, Daikichi's Salesmanship is hard to find. Try searching for Uttare Daikichi! too and saw a couple of pages describing the manga but did not see any shop selling or site for DL.

Guys, keep them coming.
Old 2012-10-09, 00:21   Link #6
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

I'm not really sure what Historie has to do with the business/law/medical genres, but here goes for some suggestions:

1) Otoyomegatari. Historical manga. Incorporates elements of business/law-more so, I think, than Historie does-but, those aren't its primary foci. Otoyomegatari is aka "A Bride's Story", and it is set in 19th century Asia. I wouldn't have mentioned it all if you hadn't listed Historie.

2) Doctor Du Ming. Medical/psychological manga. Due to its nature, it's hard to give an accurate blurb without giving things away. Most blurbs you'll find by googling are a bit misleading for this very reason, I think. Main character is an anesthesiologist. It's also fairly dark, in case that is or isn't your thing.

3) Ray the Animation. This anime has a loose connection to Black Jack, in that Black Jack is the doctor who "rescued" her and gave her her new eyes. Similar to Black Jack in being a medical anime/manga. Ray is a surgeon who's new eyes have X-ray like vision. As you can imagine, episodes tend to focus on how she solves bizarre medical issues through the use of her eyes.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-09, 04:03   Link #7
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

What if the manageress of a high school baseball team read Drucker's Management?

You get a best-selling light novel that gets adapted into a fairly successful anime and a somewhat lacklustre live-action movie.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-14, 16:09   Link #8
newsbinreporter

Thanks, creb and TinyRedLeaf. All the suggestions look promising and right up the alley of what I was looking for. Definitely have no issue with Dr. Du Ming being dark. As for Moshidora, is the novel only available in Japanese?
Old 2012-10-14, 22:16   Link #9
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I watched the few subbed episodes of Tezuka Osamu's Hidamari no Ki and think you might try tracking down the manga. I have no idea whether any of it has been translated or not, though. Tezuka's great grandfather, a physician trying to convert Japan to Western medicine, is one of the two main characters in the story.

The main characters in Monster are a neurosurgeon and a law student, though for most of the story neither of them are practicing their professions.

Moshidora is the only other show I thought of as well.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-16, 07:56   Link #10
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsbinreporter View Post
As for Moshidora, is the novel only available in Japanese?
I'm afraid I have no idea. I, for one, have not seen any translated versions at my local Kinokuniya.

One more suggestion. Though it's not directly related to business, Hataraki Man sheds light into an important aspect of it: that of balancing professional goals with personal aspirations. Given your login ID, you may be interested to know that the protagonist is a fiercely dedicated news-magazine editor working in an independent publishing company.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote