AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-10-16, 17:33   Link #81
Uribatake

This is my favorite new show of the season so far. It's easier to get into than Akagi, since it's not about mahjong (for now, at least), and while Kaiji isn't as badass as Akagi, he's definitely more relatable. If I got conned like that, I would cry like a little girl, too.
Uribatake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-16, 17:51   Link #82
sukreih
okusenman!okusenman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malintex_Terek View Post
The manga is finished, isn't it? I thought Kaiji grows old with some wealth under his belt and a lot of wisdom...?
wha......? You're so funny ;_; (I apologize if you weren't implying a joke..)
Spoiler for kaiji currently ongoing:

Kaiji and Akagi were the only ongoing Fukumoto manga this fall. But Fukumoto has started a new manga called 'Gambling Emperor Zero', starring a bishounen-looking teenage boy called 'Zero'. I think he would be Kaiji's direct opposite..
sukreih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-16, 17:59   Link #83
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

Oh ho, so it hasn't finished yet? Very interesting...I read some comments by the Japanese about loving Akagi and Kaiji's characterizations, but not liking how Fukumoto is going over-board with them. Washizu + Kazutaka seem to mire their respective mangas in a never-ending part three.

Any pictures of Zero...? I find it hard to believe that Fukumoto is drawing a bishounen, so I'm very curious.

He can't draw girls either, but that bunny-girl didn't look to terrible adapted into game art form, and Akagi's daughter is so adorable.
Malintex_Terek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-16, 18:36   Link #84
sukreih
okusenman!okusenman!

Akagi's daughter? You mean fanart? Or the girl with the hooded shirt and sailor uniform? The later is Shizuka, another character from another Fukumoto manga, a black comedy called 'Saikyou Densetsu Kurosawa'.

Spoiler for for images and some info about beautiful characters in Fukumoto manga:
Old 2007-10-16, 19:28   Link #85
gianna
gigi

Yeah Tobaku Haouden Zero Just began serialization in Shounen Magazine recently There's six chapters out so far

You can view the first chapter here
http://www.shonenmagazine.com/works/zero/index.html

I think many have come across this guy's blog for Fukumoto's works
http://zawablog.blog109.fc2.com/blog-category-18.html
That is the tag for Zero and he's made an entry with images for each chapter so far

sukreih It was fast With next week's they'll already past the end of volume 2
Ahhh the bathroom scene! - I completely forgot about it (they're in there a lot)
I just looked and had a good lol - Him just turning toward him and smiling at such a time--
I'll have to rewatch the episode later though

I hope he does make it to the "end" as well
Wonder if he means in the long run though as in a second season since both of his series are running crazily long at the same place
gianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-16, 23:26   Link #86
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukreih View Post
Akagi's daughter? You mean fanart? Or the girl with the hooded shirt and sailor uniform? The later is Shizuka, another character from another Fukumoto manga, a black comedy called 'Saikyou Densetsu Kurosawa'.
I've only seen his "daughter" in fan-art, but discussions on Yotsuba have appeared now and then from people who have claimed to know Ten's storyline. Something about adopting a little girl or at least having one hang around him...? Elaboration or refutation would be wonderful.

HAHA OH WOW @ Zero. That's the Fukumoto I know!
Old 2007-10-17, 20:18   Link #87
kauldron26
Med Student

man o man... just saw the first 2 eps. this anime is frikkin damn awesome. and the soundtrack....whoa

funny thing... all thru college me and my boys used rock paper scissors to settle every thing: who was going to drive, who was going to pay for drinks, and who was going to pay for movie tickets. lol... it was the fairest way to settle everything and no one could cheat!

Last edited by kauldron26; 2007-10-17 at 20:30.
kauldron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-20, 11:41   Link #88
GriS

epi 3
Spoiler:

I admit that I blatantly pre-label the show as average based on the image displayed on ANN/AniDB. I was actually glad that I watched it!

Down with the prejudice!
GriS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-20, 11:44   Link #89
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
ep 3 whaaaa!
This is really something...and i should know being the same type as the balancer guy...i guess i shouldnt try to gamble then

i love the use of logic in this ep...kaiji has the mind of a genius but too bad god seems to hate him XD

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-20, 11:49   Link #90
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

I waited for the subs, and just like i though after the RAW, it was very sly, genius and interesting.
Spoiler for episode 3:

the thrill goes on; ufufu.
Old 2007-10-20, 12:08   Link #91
mehdi

I loved ep3!! I just wish someone knew where to find kaiji manga translated and Akagi mangas.
mehdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-20, 12:55   Link #92
eris_sama

Just saw ep1-2! Kaji's an anti-Akagi!
I thought from Kaji's mullet-type hairstyle the story would be in the 1980s lol.
Akagi was not a typical shounen char like Ichigo from Bleach and Naruto. He didn't care about dying period, not about dying to protect someone. Kaji doesn't want to die and I doubt if he's going to be willing to sacrifice himself for anyone else.

What I don't get is if his friend is on the boat, why should Kaji still be responsible for his debt?
eris_sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-20, 13:18   Link #93
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

The thing is that Kaiji is responsible for the debt of the first "mafia" guys, because Fuhara disappeared.

It is possible that Fuhara screwed AGAIN, and got another huge debts with other guys, so he is forced to go on the Espoir.
Old 2007-10-20, 13:38   Link #94
123Hamster
Hamster

My guess is that the mafia guy just buff both of them into signing the contract. After all he doesn't seem like the kinna guy that plays fair.
123Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-20, 14:24   Link #95
Echoes

Episode 3 was great, they manage to go with a really slow pacing, but still keep every episode intense. Kaiji displayed sound judgment, he assessed the situation and came out on top through pure strategy. He's certainly an interesting character, I wonder how the next episode will unfold, now that Kaiji has three stars and no cards.
Old 2007-10-20, 15:14   Link #96
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

A very entertaining episode, this show is working out to be quite the crowd-pleaser.

I figured Andou would try to backstab the group when he could - it's interesting to see Furuhata so more trusting, but since Kaiji has been rather nice to him I guess he probably has the most trust in him. I don't think it'll last though, given the themes of the story.

Right now, they've got six stars and no cards - I believe I know how this arc ends, so it struck me as a interesting that Kaiji will be going for cards instead of stars. Since 1 star = 1M yen, I was expecting him to shell out two million for Andou + Furuhata, then dive right into the finale. But I don't understand why the finale happens so I guess it's understandable looking at things from episode three.

What's the name of the hyena, and how do I write his name?

Last edited by Malintex_Terek; 2007-10-20 at 17:20. Reason: they -> he
Old 2007-10-20, 16:23   Link #97
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

This keeps getting better and better. Loved Kaiji's strategy and the fact he actually grew some balls (well, he had no other choices). Can't wait to see what he'll do next week, he will obviously buy some cards, but he'll have to think about the type and the number of cards he wants. And I hope his two sidekick won't remain useless for too long...what's the point of an alliance if Kaiji does everything?
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-20, 16:41   Link #98
Echoes

Except for providing some cards, they have been pretty useless, I agree. Not to mention one of them tried to backstab the others at the first opportunity, and the other is responsible for Kaiji ending up on the boat in the first place.
Old 2007-10-20, 16:46   Link #99
Jaden

But if Kaiji does win enough stars to get the other two to the finals, he will. At that point they will be ready to entrust everything to Kaiji. And if in the finals they get another set of some type of resource to play with, an existing, strong alliance could prove very beneficial.
Old 2007-10-20, 16:51   Link #100
sukreih
okusenman!okusenman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malintex_Terek View Post
What's the name of the hyena, and how do I write his name?
The Balance guy is just displayed as 'Hyena(ハイエナ)' in the ending screen. Doesn't even have a name in the manga either.
There were some interesting suggestions such as 'Zenger'(same VA :P), 'balance dude' and 'dick nose' .

Tags
drama, gambling, seinen