AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Midori no Hibi

Notices

Old 2004-04-30, 13:18   Link #321
snoopy
SnoopyCool.com

Could it be that the song is just a person singing about stuff...? Does it really have to be one of the two main characters?

That said, it could never be Seiji. He'd rather feed his penis to a pack of wild rabbits than use boku.

And Snoopy's prediction for the end of the anime: Midori leaves his hand and they start going out. OMFG. SPOILERZ!!!11 Then again, I could be wrong

Of course, it's always possible that Seiji'll wake up one morning and realize how freakish it is to have a parasite living on your arm that talks to him and makes shirts and ram her head into a wall a few times, then take a power saw to his wrist. I know that's what I'd do.
snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-30, 14:39   Link #322
Itlandm
Porcupine

Hmm, series is kinda entertaining but not something I would watch before Naruto if they arrived at the same time, that's for sure. And I agree that it is kinda girl-centered, at least compared to what I had expected. Midori is kinda irresistible. Of course, she is actually dreaming, which explains why she lacks inhibition in displaying her love suddenly.

The ending song, however - "mousukoshi" - it makes me quite high, when I play it over and over... I sat up playing it again and again till 5 in the morning one night. That voice is just tickling my soul all over. The way she pronounces "dakedo" there (where the pace of the song shifts ... she kinda makes it a holy word of transformation...) it just makes me want to scream with (platonic) pleasure ... I know, I sound like a sicko. But music does stuff like that to my brain. No chemical additives needed. I save a lot of cash, I guess.

Although I was kinda disturbed by the use of "boku" where virtually all women use "watashi" in love songs. Boku sounds like she's distinctly underage, is what it does, and the voice doesn't rule it out either. Meep. But then again I only speak Otaku, not Japanese. The girl who uses "boku" in Kanon has been in a coma since she was a kid, and the girl in Da Capo stayed immature because of the magic so naturally they would use "boku" ... but it could be a trend for all I know, just like in English where you can now be a "girl" when you are 30! Notice however that Midori says "watashi" when she talks, so I doubt this song is made for her. I wish I could buy it somewhere.
Itlandm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-30, 15:26   Link #323
snoopy
SnoopyCool.com

Um... as much as I enjoy reading the pseudo-knowlegde that most of you are spouting about the various uses of 'boku' in moder-day Japanese society, I'm going to have to ask that anyone relying solely on anime for their information to please shut the hell up. Please note that this is only a request for my own personal sanity. In theory, there would be no penalty dealt if it were to be ignored.

I'm not all that sure what anime's you see where the songs have watashi, but almost all of the one's that I've bothered listening to use boku. It's an ambiguous term that fits into the 'any person' category better than atashi... which would almost never be used my a man, ore, which, while it is used by some delinquent girls, is almost exclusively reserved for men, or watashi which is too formal for the shows' intended audience. I think you people are completly missing the point of the 'I could be any person singing about my love' aspect here.

That's even more important when the show's audience is split farely evenly into male and female. Think about the demographics for a second here, people... it's narrated from the female perspective to appeal to girls, and the actual story is from the male perspective to appeal to guys. It's not chalk full of testosterone like Baki or something where they kill people with their dicks, but it's not the opposite, either. Wholly nuetral. Thus the theme songs must be nuetral as well.

Last edited by snoopy; 2004-04-30 at 15:41.
Old 2004-04-30, 16:04   Link #324
stpehen
kisses for all

Since when have anime OP/ED songs had a direct (i.e. explicit references to characters/locations/situations) relation to the contents of the anime anyway?
stpehen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-30, 17:12   Link #325
snoopy
SnoopyCool.com

Got me... I always thought the only relationship was that sometimes the voice actors sang the theme songs.
Old 2004-04-30, 19:28   Link #326
Itlandm
Porcupine

Hey don't diss our 1334 otaku language skillz ... we may not be able to order rice in Japanese if our lives depended on it, but we know who is kakkoi and who is kawaii!
(or ^_^ )

Sometimes I wonder what the suicide rate is for Japanese teachers in American colleges ...
Old 2004-04-30, 20:26   Link #327
snoopy
SnoopyCool.com

Hey, I have every other post on this page so far!

Oh yeah... uh... *tries to think of something to say*.... so how 'bout that Midori, eh? Woaaaah~

>_>;
Old 2004-04-30, 20:28   Link #328
TronDD
Team the box!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy
Oh yeah... uh... *tries to think of something to say*.... so how 'bout that Midori, eh? Woaaaah~

>_>;
Nah, I'm an Ayase fan. She needs more screen time. Say Snoopy, is she in a manga a lot?
TronDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-30, 20:40   Link #329
snoopy
SnoopyCool.com

Yeah, Ayase's the third most important character in the manga aside from Midori and Seiji. She has her fair share of dedicated chapters, and I bow to Kazurou Inoue for giving them to her. *waves an Ayase flag*
Old 2004-04-30, 21:03   Link #330
TronDD
Team the box!

Sweet. Can't wait. Gonna have to make an I love Ayase t-shirt.
TronDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-30, 23:09   Link #331
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Ayase > 100000x Midori

And that's the truth!
Yebyosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-30, 23:36   Link #332
Muir Woods
Disheartened and Retired

Yes yes...add me to the Ayase fanbase too. She's so much hotter than Midori. I can't wait to see Ayase in a police outfit. Yowza! That would be hot.
Spoiler:
Muir Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-30, 23:47   Link #333
Lina Inverse
SL Aki fanclub president

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muir Woods
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Lina Inverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-30, 23:50   Link #334
Jackl

I wish they made Ayase's hair black instead of a kind of mundane brown. In the manga she looks stunning, in the anime she has more a mediocre look to her. But thats the whole manga>anime thing again.
Jackl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-30, 23:52   Link #335
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muir Woods
Yes yes...add me to the Ayase fanbase too. She's so much hotter than Midori. I can't wait to see Ayase in a police outfit. Yowza! That would be hot.
Spoiler:
Spoiler for Lucy Day 73:
Yebyosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-01, 00:03   Link #336
Muir Woods
Disheartened and Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yebyosh
Spoiler for Lucy Day 73:
*falls to my knees* NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wait a minute...I don't like her that much anyways . I like Ayase more.

For those of you who want to see:
Spoiler:
Muir Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-01, 00:26   Link #337
musouka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yebyosh
Spoiler for Lucy Day 73:
Spoiler:
ずっと変りはしない
musouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-01, 00:43   Link #338
Lina Inverse
SL Aki fanclub president

Some thought just occured to me: what if, instead of Midori getting stuck to Seiji's right hand and her real body being in coma, they would have switched bodies, and Midori would be in Sejis body, while Seiji would be in Midori's body?
Lina Inverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-01, 00:52   Link #339
K_R
also known as K!

That would be very cliche.
K_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-01, 02:03   Link #340
Itlandm
Porcupine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackl
I wish they made Ayase's hair black instead of a kind of mundane brown. In the manga she looks stunning, in the anime she has more a mediocre look to her. But thats the whole manga>anime thing again.
I for one assumed that Ayase was the "girl next door" as opposed to the magical girl Midori. So yeah, I guess she is drawn a bit that way. But brown hair in itself does not detract from prettiness. In Tenshi na Konamaiki the hero/ine has beautiful brown hair that takes the breath away from boys. Black hair is kinda ordinary as well ... probably more so in Japan than here.