Sena: "It's absolutely legal in almost every country!"
Yozora: "So...?"
Sena: "Even our prime minister and his wife are first cousins!"
Yozora: "Oh.... err. However it carries an unacceptable risk of birth defects!"
Sena: "That's not true! Just read some articles on the Internet!"
Yozora: "So... you are well informed about this?"
Sena: "Of course I am!"
Yozora: "Hmm... so you want to marry a cousin?"
Sena: "Of course not! It's not like I really informed myself very well because I thought about marrying Kodaka! It's not the case! I am really not interested in him!"
Yozora: *Facepalm*
mironicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-23, 00:30   Link #882
Okashira
どうだろうね。ふふ

Vexed has released another chapter.

Quote:
Kodaka : "Aren't you happy, Kobato? We're gonna have sukiyaki tonight."

Kobato : "Sukiyaki... *slurp*..."

Niku : "Uhehehe... Kobato-chan, pretend it's me when you eat it, OK?"
I'm soo going for Sukiyaki tomorrow.
Old 2012-06-23, 08:29   Link #883
novalysis

Based on the last two chapters released, and spoilers for the latest novels, I think it is safe to say that Sena is the default girl of the series. It's rather clear that she is attracted to him, and sees him as a serious romantic prospect. It's rather clear that she sees herself in competition with other girls over him.

Now, given her relationship with Kodaka, and the fact that both their fathers ship them together, I'd dare say that if we get an inconclusive no romantic ending at the end of their High School life, Sena is likely to win by default in any distant epilogue.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-23, 08:57   Link #884
frivolity
My posts are frivolous

While I support a Sena ending, events outside of the novel still suggest that Yozora is in the driving seat. In particular, the author said in an interview that the spin-off series is an "alternate route" in which Sena was the first girl that Kodaka met. This suggests that the "actual route" was supposed to be a Yozora route, unless the author changes his mind for whatever reason, which I hope he does.
frivolity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-23, 09:08   Link #885
mironicus

Quote:
Now, given her relationship with Kodaka, and the fact that both their fathers ship them together, I'd dare say that if we get an inconclusive no romantic ending at the end of their High School life, Sena is likely to win by default in any distant epilogue.
Well, I am more optimistic. I believe that Kodaka will propose to Sena right after Yozora tells him the truth and the reason why the club exists. He will feel responsible for Sena because he never protected her (and he promised her father to protect her from any bullying) and this event will finally manifestate his feelings.

And Sena does not care about the real reason because they had so much fun within the club (always seeing the positive side of things). Yozora's original plans failed anyway and now they are friends. That would be the best ending for me. Yozora repents and the friendship between them remains. And Sena of course will reject his proposal because "They have to go out first."
Old 2012-06-23, 09:17   Link #886
Candyshark

No indication about Kodaka's romantic interest so it is anybody's game. Sena might just take direct route and won't be beating around the bush for too long compared to Yozora.

I don't care whether Sena or Yozora will be his girlsfriend as long it is handled properly. I wish we had explored Yukimura and Rika a bit more before series ends.
Candyshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-23, 09:37   Link #887
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by frivolity View Post
While I support a Sena ending, events outside of the novel still suggest that Yozora is in the driving seat. In particular, the author said in an interview that the spin-off series is an "alternate route" in which Sena was the first girl that Kodaka met. This suggests that the "actual route" was supposed to be a Yozora route, unless the author changes his mind for whatever reason, which I hope he does.
I think the author has not made his mind up yet.

In this genre, first girl can mean alot, or mean nothing at all.

The thing is, Yozora has a mountain to climb. For Sena on the other hand, if Kodaka fails to commit to anyone in High School, odds are, she wins by default.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mironicus View Post
Well, I am more optimistic. I believe that Kodaka will propose to Sena right after Yozora finally tells him the truth and the reason why the club exists. He will feel responsible for Sena because he never protected her (and he promised her father to protect her from any bullying).

And Sena does not care about the real reason because they had so much fun within the club (always seeing the positive side of things). Yozora's original plans failed anyway and now they are friends. That would be the best ending for me. Yozora repents and the friendship between them remains. And Sena of course will reject his proposal because "They have to go out first."
This is the dream of all Sena fans, I think.

To be honest though, I think we are frequently reminded that none of the members in the Neighbors Club would be the kinds of people most will feel at ease with.

But, based on the latest released Volume 6 chapters, it seems that Kodaka expects a romantic partner to be an outgrowth of close friendship. He wants a platonic friendship, before progressing to a romantic one. Well, one could argue that puts Yozora close, but I get the impression that Kodaka is most at ease, most... shall we say, chummy, with Sena? There's always a strange gap between Kodaka and Yozora- unfinished, unhealed business, with the issue of being an adolescent and trying to reconnect with a friend most definitely of the opposite gender in the way.

Yozora can win, but she first needs to close the gap. And that's still not the end. In that respect, Sena is ahead of Yozora in many ways. Their friendship is already at the Platonic level, yet it seems even if it remained there, if Kodaka does not choose anyone, their friendship has a high odds of ending in a marriage, and probably quite a stable one at that.

I'd see the situation as this:
Yozora is not yet in immediate danger of being friendzoned. Unfortunately, they have alot of leftover baggage to resolve, under the haze of hormonal attraction, and with the factor of a romantic competition over Kodaka interfering. Unless substantial development occurs, I'm not certain whether their relationship will ever reach a Romantic stage. Right now, there's still quite a bit of awkwardness between both of them.

Sena is in a rather healthy position. I'd say that she has the most substantial friendship with Kodaka- their interactions feel more solid than the rest of the Neighbour's Club. In a way, both see each other on an equal footing, and near a similar plane.

Add to all the other advantages she's got, and right now Sena has the upperhand. At the rate this is going she's going to win. If Kodaka commits to no-one, then victory is hers to claim by default. She can wait afterall, and Kodaka, it seems isn't THAT adverse to the thought of ending up with her. Else his reaction to the proposal would have been quite different.

Rika has the most honest relationship with Kodaka. But Kodaka seems very determined to Friendzone her, hard and very consciously. In a sense, they are both brutally honest with one another, I'd imagine, though that's probably no path to a romantic victory on Rika's part, since Kodaka's honesty is the honesty of No, to the rather blatant offer.

Unlike Rika, Kodaka unconsciously shifts Yukimura to the region of Friendzone, I'd imagine. Unlike Rika, Yukimura does not have that kind of courage to directly confront Kodaka about this. So, we get alot of teasing, and Kodaka admitting that Yukimura is cute and attractive. But there's no indication that on a personal level, Kodaka even considers Yukimura as a viable romantic partner.

Maria and Kobato are of course, out of the picture.

Not that I honestly think that all five of them actually analyze and consider where they are and how they regard each other to that extent, with the exception of Rika. Sena also seems quite abit more clued in, while Yozora sees only other Romantic rivals in not very well differentiated shades of black and white (all the other B****, in other words), who confusingly also are pseudo-friends. And we still have no clue what Yukimura thinks, really, beyond a few tantalizing hints. She's not really been much in the limelight since her gender reveal.

Actually, I think Rika is the most aware, of the whole lot. Followed by Sena and Kodaka, which I suspect are on the same tier of comprehension as to the situation they are all in. Sadly, it seems that Kodaka's determined to friendzone Rika, so Rika's PSP Victory in the novels seems to be out of the question, baring some miraculous development.

So, ultimately yes. We have only Sena, and Yozora. If Yozora can get through those leftover baggage, and realize just where she stands right now she has a chance. I think Sena has a good idea where she stands, there are no baggages, and ultimately , it's to her romantic advantage if Kodaka chooses not to commit, since there are quite a few factors (starting from the firmest Platonic base at all, low prospect of being firmly Friendzoned like Rika currently is, her "engagement", being a first cousin (if the spoilers are true), and the fact that both of them have rather functional personal dynamics and speaks to one another most normally of everyone in the Neighbor's club) making her the default girl if Kodaka ultimately chooses not to commit to any route, something that he seems very determined to, despite Rika's blunt conversations with Kodaka in Volume7, or Yozora's muddled, confused signals. Currently, Status Quo is Sena.

Yozora can win only, if , to put it in Sena's terms, that Yozora can somehow convince Kodaka to commit to the Yozora route, which is still very possible, depending on what developments are going to take place. Else, the main route is the Sena Route.

And poor Rika can't win outside the PSP Visual Novel.
Old 2012-06-23, 11:53   Link #888
mironicus

Rika's affection level seems to rise in Vol. 8 as she collapses because the worked so hard on the movie. There is a picture of Kodaka and Rika looking at each other and blushing - he visits her in the hospital.

Kodaka seems to be impressed by her as she made some kind of sacrifice because she really want friends. Perhaps those impressions will have an impact on his own feelings towards the girls.

However this is only surpassed by the sacrifice Sena made. She also wanted friends and she had to endure the attacks from Yozora. She came back every time and Yozora was unable to bully her out of the club because of her wish. Even though she is mocked by her Sena still offers her trust and friendship which Yozora is using against her. Sena's personality could have been broken by Yozora due to the terror she had gone through. However her cheerful personality never changed.

If he knows the truth about Yozora it is likely that he will not be very impressed of the kind of efforts she made. She never intended to make friends, she only wanted him, seeing the other girls as rivals and she betrayed him from the beginning.

The author of the novel wants to give us a clear message like "You can't gain happiness in life if you betray your friends." and he also want to deliver us his definition of true friendship so he never let Yozora succeeds as long as she is lying and betraying and doing unsocial things that drives everyone from her away. Yozora is a reflection of anything that makes people really unlucky - however the story makes clear that she is responsible for her own bad luck because of her deeds.

But those who seek real friendship and don't want to be alone, work hard on themselves and socialize will gain happiness and finally become a "riajuu". At the end Kodaka not only gains a family (new relatives, so he is not alone any more with his sister) he also gains a girlfriend (not 100% certain if it is Sena) that will make him feel "fulfilled".

Sena is the girl who helps Yozora reflecting her own deeds so she is able to change into a better person who cares for others. Do you remember the ending song of the anime? Yozora is a nun in a church who prays and Sena is the angel who takes her hand and they both fly towards heaven. So Sena is the saviour and brings salvation to Yozora.

At the end Sena herself will be much more important for Yozora than Kodaka. He is not able to help her to change. However Sena is able to change herself and others to become better persons.
Old 2012-06-23, 12:03   Link #889
LC
Shocking Pink

The romance in this series frustrates me.

Last edited by LC; 2012-06-29 at 10:26. Reason: Condensed my opinion
LC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-23, 12:15   Link #890
mironicus

Socially awkward personalities likely will have trouble to have romantic relationships, so this weakness is just intended within the story.

The behaviour of people who are isolated and had no friends for many years - if you know some humans with similar problems they might be able to identify themselves with some of the characters of the show. It's not so unrealistic as it seems, the author himself admitted that he have few friends and some strange habits, that drives other persons from him away.

EDIT: I saw some critics of Volume 8 at Amazon.jp (Google Translator). The reveal of Sena being the cousin just seems to be right at the ending so for the real reactions we have to wait for Volume 9.

Last edited by mironicus; 2012-06-23 at 13:54.
Old 2012-06-23, 18:33   Link #891
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC View Post
The weakness of this series is definitely the romance. I'm 100% behind Yozora, but I still have found barely any reason to ship her with Kodaka besides the fact that she likes him. I also think that KodakaxYozora would be more dramatic and interesting. Sena does have a stronger base on which to pursue Kodaka from currently, definitely, but I can't really buy KodakaxSena either. This is the first series I've found where I wouldn't hate an open ending. None of the ships have left the harbor.
No. But in an Open Ending (that ends with them graduating, and likely parting ways), there's a strong possibility that all other Ships will leave the harbor eventually, except for Sena.

Since their Father's seems quite determined to match both of them up, their relation likely means they'd most definitely be in consistent contact with one another, and if her ship is in little danger of being sunk at that stage...

Well, those are hypothetical of course.
Old 2012-06-24, 03:29   Link #892
sky black swordman

Quote:
I saw some critics of Volume 8 at Amazon.jp (Google Translator). The reveal of Sena being the cousin just seems to be right at the ending so for the real reactions we have to wait for Volume 9.

I dont check this tread for a few days and I find that Kodoka and Sena are first cousins! God whats next.
Oh well things happen.

I find that I agree with you @mironicus on what you say.

In any event until vol 9 or we get more info on vol 8 we wont know how this new information will effect if any the members of the group.
But I dont think Sena's feelings for Kodoka will change just because the related.

And also the arranged engagement was by their dads when they (The Dads) were kids or when Kodoka and Sena were kids?
Old 2012-06-24, 10:41   Link #893
mironicus

Quote:
But I dont think Sena's feelings for Kodoka will change just because the related.
Hmm... I guess she will use this advantage to tease Yozora, like for example....

Sena: Kodaka, so we are cousins, you know what that means...?

Kodaka: Well.... I guess we are now closer than before...?

Sena: *Chu*

Sena gives Kodaka a kiss on his cheek right in front of Yozora. Kodaka is surprised and blushes instantly. Sena is smiling happily.

Yozora: WHAT ARE YOU DOING, MEAT?!!!!

Sena (triumphantly): It's just normal for close relatives to kiss, don't you agree, Kodaka?

Kodaka (still blushing with a rising smile): Well... I guess... it's OK...

Yozora: KOOOOOOOODAAAAAAAKAAAAAA!

Kodaka: I can't do anything about it! She is my cousin, after all!

Yozora: I won't allow such shameless behavior in this holy room!

Sena (ignoring Yozora): From now on, let's become even closer, Kodaka!

Kodaka: Well... yes!

Sena: How about... we go to the wave pool that just opened?

Kodaka: Isn't that like ... a kind of... date?

Sena (blushing): Well... we have so much to tell us... and that's such a nice place....

Kodaka (blushing): Eh.... okay!

Sena (smiles): Fine! I'll mail you where we should meet.

Kodaka (smiles): Shall we go home together?

Sena (blushing): Great! Bye, Yozora!

Kodaka: Bye, Yozora!

Both leave the room, leaving Yozora alone.

Yozora: Why.... why.... why am I so unlucky?!

Being his cousin will Sena give a very good opportunity to spent much more time with Kodaka, and also with Kobato... without the group as usual! It's just natural for relatives for being close, don't you think...?

However Kodaka is kind of suspicious about Sena, because she always chooses places where normally girlfriend and boyfriend would meet, like a beautiful park, at a lake on a rowboat... very suspicious. So Kodaka sometimes thinks: "Maybe she likes me.... no that cannot be!".
Old 2012-06-24, 10:57   Link #894
NerumiHime

You Sena fans are on pretty high horses.
NerumiHime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-24, 12:54   Link #895
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerumiHime View Post
You Sena fans are on pretty high horses.
We cannot hear Yozora's fans complaints from up here
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-24, 14:31   Link #896
Johnny
Working the bags...

All the girls are their own antagonist...

Yozora, can't get her head out of the past...
Sena, holier than thou attitude with the creepy uncle guise for Kobato...
Rika, pervert switch is almost constantly pushed to the on position...
Yukimura, spent too much time of the story as a dude. That's hard to shake no matter how cute you look now. Also a personality that could rival a pet rock...
Maria, poop is the main word in her vocabulary...
Kate, not enough story time...

I'll go with what someone else said about an ambiguous ending, or one big happy friendzoned family...
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-24, 20:21   Link #897
sky black swordman

@mironicus Man I would love too see that.

@mangamuscle nice one.

@ohnny Thats so true

Yozora is the one am most curious about .
When she finds out they are related ,I mean she got threaten when she found out that Sena was Kodoka's fiance and on top of that a Childhood friend and may be the first..

I think it was in vol 6 when the fact she and Kodoka were Childhood friends came out she acted so superior to the other girls and rub it in their faces had a past together..
Old 2012-06-24, 23:13   Link #898
Miraluka
Banned

But then the typical backslash slapping hn her face.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-25, 06:11   Link #899
mironicus

I wonder if the author himself is married with his cousin...

http://listverse.com/2008/07/20/10-f...their-cousins/

EDIT: Just tried to read some new Amazon.jp-critics of Vol. 8

It seems...

Spoiler:

and the mentioned "major turning point" is now that...

Spoiler:

Last edited by mironicus; 2012-06-25 at 15:34.
Old 2012-06-26, 10:23   Link #900
mironicus

Wikipedia also listed the sensation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boku_wa...chi_ga_Sukunai

Spoiler:

Wohooo! That's Sena for you!

And a spoiler for Rika also listed on Wikipedia

Spoiler:

Poor Yozora! Two big hits against her!

Last edited by mironicus; 2012-06-26 at 10:40.

Tags
comedy, friendship, harem, light novels, love decisions, school life, shounen