Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2009-05-09, 11:19   Link #41
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Quote:
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm2415712
Links to other stories are there, so by all means~

Not just Red, but he also talks about the Regis' meanings and the mansion in the forest and Natane, etc. They are all pretty interesting (especially the ones with Regis), though a couple or so was a bit... far-fetched or overdone for me.
Can't read it because it's in japanese ;_;

Damn, I haven't finished Platinum yet and then this thing had appeared ? xD;;
I wonder if they're going to remake crystal too. .

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-09, 12:20   Link #42
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sety View Post
They already did.

They were the travesties known as Pokemon Colloseum and Pokemon XD the mention of which alone are enough to cause grown men to break into tears.
That is not an RPG. Like...I want to see RGBY/GSC in 3D. It's a stupidly ambitious thought, so I think they saw Sonic die in 3D and decided not to go towards that.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-09, 13:38   Link #43
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
They already did.

They were the travesties known as Pokemon Colloseum and Pokemon XD the mention of which alone are enough to cause grown men to break into tears.
Travesty? Really? I liked Colosseum though... *shrug*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonli View Post
Back in the day I was the true Pokemon master amongst my friends. I actually managed to finish my freaking Pokedex! I collected all 150 in the original (no Mew ), and then I collected all 251 in the Gold and Silver versions (traded with someone who had a Mew and Selebi then gave them back)
I already gave up catching them all a long time ago... Then again, I never really tried. With event-onlys here and there and everywhere, never found it possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyvedelta View Post
Can't read it because it's in japanese ;_;
Ahaha~, don't mind. It's pretty silly and nothing to really be taken seriously anyways.
The part on Red is something like this:
Spoiler for summary (why covered in a tag? The answer is one of the big mysteries of this world, surely):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyvedelta View Post
Damn, I haven't finished Platinum yet and then this thing had appeared ? xD;;
I wonder if they're going to remake crystal too. .
You still have plenty of time though, since it needs to come out supposedly in the Fall PLUS no one knows how long it will take to be localized...
I wish they just remade Crystal instead of doing both Gold and Silver again...

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-09, 16:41   Link #44
Sety
Lost in your Eyes~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
That is not an RPG. Like...I want to see RGBY/GSC in 3D. It's a stupidly ambitious thought, so I think they saw Sonic die in 3D and decided not to go towards that.
You honestly haven't played it have you or even bothered to bat an eyelid at it? The single player adventure mode was a RPG in every sense of the genre, XD more so.

Quote:
Travesty? Really? I liked Colosseum though... *shrug*
Well it didn't help they had that whole stupid Shadow Pokemon storyline, it really caused you to raise an eyebrow. Seriously half assed generic JRPG storylines and Pokemon really don't mix, its a game about cock fighting with magical monsters as a sport. If you want Pokemon with a story that works then Shin Megami Tensei series is probably what you want. Or there is Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon games they actually have good plots and absolutely nothing to do with the main games because they had to change so much to make them work.

Throw in the fact it wasn't even good for the people who enjoyed the multiplayer aspect of Pokemon. Moves didn't work as they should and were buggy and the graphics lacked polish. Throw in a lacklustre stadium mode because they spent too much time on that adventure mode. Compared to Stadium 2's ridiculous assortment of themed matches, Turbo mode for your Pokemon games and the minigames, oh those addictive minigames and a far heavier emphasis on intelligent battling, team building and less obvious comboes in the game.

At least XD wasn't half as bad and did actually give some cool special move Pokemon and actually fixed everything up, when the 3rd Gen was almost over that is. But in the end Stadium 2 on the N64 still felt the more polished game overall, at least Battle Revolution on the Wii was a welcome actual improvement on the GCN generation even though it lacked a adventure mode. They made an attempt to up the graphics and bring in some actual unique stadium matches.

I mean come on theres a pretty obvious reason why the games have lasted so long even with a non-existant story almost, its the team building/battle gameplay that has carried it. If they're not going to get that part right first before attempting a single player than theres no point.

And I'll stop ranting since I'm excited for the new move possibilities Gold/Silver offer. :x

Last edited by Sety; 2009-05-09 at 17:00.
Sety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-09, 18:50   Link #45
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Well it didn't help they had that whole stupid Shadow Pokemon storyline, it really caused you to raise an eyebrow. Seriously half assed generic JRPG storylines and Pokemon really don't mix, its a game about cock fighting with magical monsters as a sport. If you want Pokemon with a story that works then Shin Megami Tensei series is probably what you want. Or there is Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon games they actually have good plots and absolutely nothing to do with the main games because they had to change so much to make them work.

Throw in the fact it wasn't even good for the people who enjoyed the multiplayer aspect of Pokemon. Moves didn't work as they should and were buggy and the graphics lacked polish. Throw in a lacklustre stadium mode because they spent too much time on that adventure mode. Compared to Stadium 2's ridiculous assortment of themed matches, Turbo mode for your Pokemon games and the minigames, oh those addictive minigames and a far heavier emphasis on intelligent battling, team building and less obvious comboes in the game.

At least XD wasn't half as bad and did actually give some cool special move Pokemon and actually fixed everything up, when the 3rd Gen was almost over that is. But in the end Stadium 2 on the N64 still felt the more polished game overall, at least Battle Revolution on the Wii was a welcome actual improvement on the GCN generation even though it lacked a adventure mode. They made an attempt to up the graphics and bring in some actual unique stadium matches.

I mean come on theres a pretty obvious reason why the games have lasted so long even with a non-existant story almost, its the team building/battle gameplay that has carried it. If they're not going to get that part right first before attempting a single player than theres no point.

And I'll stop ranting since I'm excited for the new move possibilities Gold/Silver offer. :x
Hmm, I see. That makes sense.

...For some reason, XD keeps on looking like an emoticon to me................................

-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2009-05-09, 19:20   Link #46
Shadow Kira01

I found the series to be rather generic, as if all the games had little differences aside from the number of different pokemons and also a different palette for the characters and surroundings, there is little difference to the story as well.

If you guys like the Pokemon series, maybe you should try Monster Kingdom: Jewel Summoner. It is somewhat similar, except that I don't like it. One of the designers for Monster Kingdom was originally a partner of Kazuma Kaneko of the Shin Megami Tensei series but he left after a game or so..
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-10, 04:07   Link #47
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

People don't really play Pokemon for the story or rpg element, we play it for its battle system. The battle system is really what's important, the entire story can repeat itself and be generic, it doesn't matter.

As long as we get new pokemon, new moves, updates to the battle system and further extend the battle system, its all good.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-10, 10:33   Link #48
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
As long as we get new pokemon
Definitely don't need more Pokemon... We already have enough... Any more, and soon we will get some downgrade evolution of Farfetch'd or Mr.Mime...

Old 2009-05-10, 11:11   Link #49
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

If I cared about story line, you would play a actual JRPG, would you?

Anyways, Generation IV is a big improvement over the last since it's a lot easier to Effort Value train and also the Physical/Special move split also benefited most. Most people who are casual players wouldn't care much about the competitive aspects, but I do and end up spending hours breeding the best Pokemon with the best moves sets and Effort Value spreads and spend countless hours battling at the Battle Tower and now the Battle Frontier. I would care less if Pokemon had a good story line or not... I'll let other JRPGs focus on that instead.
Old 2009-05-10, 14:53   Link #50
Jays

http://kotaku.com/5247886/pokemon-go...age-from-japan

Gameplay footage, I think I am compelled to purchase a DS now. I spent a good chunk of Grade 8 absolutely absorbed into Pokemon Silver, this video gives me a nostalgia overdrive.
Jays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-10, 14:59   Link #51
Kid Ying
Pon pon pon

I'm surprised that a video that only shows a guy walking in circles made me so excited. Really nice. Your first pokemon now walk with you, like in Pokemon yellow. I want to see if that changes something in the game or it's just for aesthetic purposes.
Kid Ying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-10, 15:10   Link #52
Sety
Lost in your Eyes~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157 View Post
Anyways, Generation IV is a big improvement over the last since it's a lot easier to Effort Value train and also the Physical/Special move split also benefited most.
I loved all the new additions to EV training in Gen 4, although I really miss the IV guy from Emerald. The one who'd straight up tell you all your Pokemon's IV's, that was really useful.
Old 2009-05-10, 16:55   Link #53
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh~~~~~~~~~~~~!?
I hope you can look at the face too, like with Pikachu...
Personally, if it isn't Pikachu, it just feels weird for your beginner to stalk behind you...

Old 2009-05-10, 17:05   Link #54
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Quote:
I loved all the new additions to EV training in Gen 4, although I really miss the IV guy from Emerald. The one who'd straight up tell you all your Pokemon's IV's, that was really useful.
IV breeding is a pain in the butt because unlike EV, IV depends on luck and you can spend hours trying to breed for the right nature and have perfect IVs. There are tools that determine the IV from the stats, but most won't care. IV doesn't make much difference since a high IV only gains like 1-10 which won't make that much advantage.

Also, getting the perfect Hidden Power type is pain too because those depend on IV values as well.
Old 2009-05-10, 17:31   Link #55
Chaho-Chi
toptoptoptoptoptoptoptopt
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Chaho-Chi
Holy crap... the graphics... O_O

I can't wait for the games to come out, I never got to play the s/g/c games since I was too young.

Chaho-Chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-10, 18:04   Link #56
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88
Gold/Silver/Crystal, in my very forward opinion, was the pinnacle of the Pokemon series, since it was the last of the original generation...It was everything that made Red/Blue/Yellow the classics they are with the addition of new features; Real time changes, new map, 100 new Pokemon, new characters, and a new revisit to an old place...That was the most I could handle...

When it started moving onto next-gen platforms, despite it seeming almost similar, it still felt way too different to me; I felt like they were trying to make it too flashy...I forgot which of the recent Pokemon games I played that my little half-brother had, but I just didn't feel like I was playing Pokemon, but something that only had "Pokemon" in it's title...Maybe I'm too old school, but I just feel like it's grown too far and too long...I just don't have the time to get used to playing any of the newer games for even a couple of hours, nor would I have the money to have it for myself...And the Pokemon count has really gotten ridiculous; What's the count now, over 400? How the fuck are you supposed to "Catch 'em all" now?

A couple years ago, I actually bought myself a used copy of Crystal and played it to death, because it was so fucking nostalgic...It was everything I remembered with my copy of Silver, plus some new nifty stuff not found in Gold/Silver...I'm personally glad I stopped following Pokemon with this game...

I dunno...Maybe a little retro in my Pokemon would change my opinion...
"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-10, 18:49   Link #57
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays View Post
http://kotaku.com/5247886/pokemon-go...age-from-japan

Gameplay footage, I think I am compelled to purchase a DS now. I spent a good chunk of Grade 8 absolutely absorbed into Pokemon Silver, this video gives me a nostalgia overdrive.
Lol I love their reaction , and damn that looks really good.
Old 2009-05-10, 19:33   Link #58
Sister Princess
Easy Operation

Hopefully Safari Zone stay dead. I hate that place.

Quote:
Definitely don't need more Pokemon... We already have enough... Any more, and soon we will get some downgrade evolution of Farfetch'd or Mr.Mime...
There is Mime Jr in 4th gen.
Sister Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-10, 20:11   Link #59
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

The added baby forms of 1st gen pokemon are not quite annoying to me as the added evolutionary forms of 1st gen pokemon. To me, most have a lot to be desired in their designs. Magnezone is just an atrocity and there is no way I'd ever evolve Magneton into such a thing (it looks like a UFO). Don't really care for Magmars or Ryhdons evolved forms either.

It's a good thing that the Eevee evolutions didn't dissapoint. Overall these are not big problems for me as I can simply not evolve the pokemon into those forms.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-10, 20:25   Link #60
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Princess View Post
There is Mime Jr in 4th gen.
That's a baby Pokemon, right? I'm talking about evolutions, that actually make the Pokemon look worse... like Magneton's or... a good amount of the 1st generation's.

Tags
nintendo, rpg