AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-05-24, 08:47   Link #61
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Am I crazy or does Nami in Sanji's body look cute? Shave the beard and he'll make for a perfect trap. If Sanji sees himself like that, his trauma from Okama Island might just resurface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
"Strawhat Luffy, let us form an alliance!"

"What the hell have I gotten myself into?"
He clearly had no idea. The straw-hats managed to make him completely lose his composure in a single chapter. I love it when such a all-around serious character is made fun of.
Old 2012-05-24, 11:04   Link #62
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
That being said, I hope Luffy and Law target Shanks. Luffy does consider Shanks to be a rival, so it is not beyond belief for Luffy to want to take down Shanks sooner rather than later. (Still, I find it hard to believe that Luffy would ever allow anyone besides himself to defeat Shanks.)

And I ask again: Why would Luffy want to fight Shanks? I mean, he's got nothing against the guy. Sure, I guess they could have a friendly match or something, but considering that Law's ulterior motive for the alliance is definitely being indicated to be something rather sinister, I doubt that Luffy would want to go along with the plan once the warlord's machinations become clear.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakumo-chan View Post
off topic,
Since Mihawk is the NUMBER 1 swordsman in the world, is he an Emperor material?? is he the same level of Shanks?
Normally I'd stay away from this type of discussion, but now I think it's interesting that this was brought up because it reminds me of when Mihawk tried to cut down Whitebeard at Marineford. He had told Doflamingo that he wanted to gauge the strength between himself and the emperor. So even if he may be true that he's an emperor-level pirate in his own right, I still find it interesting that he still wanted to compare himself to the (at the time) world's mightiest pirate.....
Old 2012-05-24, 11:57   Link #63
james0246

^Luffy wants to surpass Shanks, so it seems fair to say that he would like to fight Shanks. But, as I said, it is unlikely that Luffy would enter an alliance with anyone in order to defeat Shanks.
Old 2012-05-24, 12:03   Link #64
Blackbeard D. Kuma

And as mentioned already, the yonkou in question doesn't have to be taken down in the immediate future. This alliance may last for quite a long time, after all. And if people are uncomfortable with the idea of Law tagging along with the SHs for a good chunk of the story, it doesn't necessarily have to be that way. They could always split ways temporarily and regroup at later points in the story. That being said, Shanks is within the realm of possibility. And it's so like Oda to want to make us think that Shanks is least likely to be the target, but we all know Oda is renowned for implementing twists into his work.
Old 2012-05-24, 12:42   Link #65
Darmill

Loved this chapter, very entertaining indeed. But I'm a bit disappointed that Franky doesn't know haki. Imagine a cyborg being capable of using haki-infused missiles and laser beams, how cool is that? It might be the overkill, but I'm fine with that
Old 2012-05-24, 13:59   Link #66
randomlex
In the eye of the storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darmill View Post
Loved this chapter, very entertaining indeed. But I'm a bit disappointed that Franky doesn't know haki. Imagine a cyborg being capable of using haki-infused missiles and laser beams, how cool is that? It might be the overkill, but I'm fine with that
Nah, Franky always put more work into his tech than his training , which makes him pretty unique in One Piece so far...

Oh yeah - about Shanks - he's one of the strongest *swordsmen* in the world. If anyone of the Straw Hats should have a match with him it should be Zoro...
Old 2012-05-24, 14:10   Link #67
Kona
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakumo-chan View Post
off topic,
Since Mihawk is the NUMBER 1 swordsman in the world, is he an Emperor material?? is he the same level of Shanks?
I wouldn't say he's number 1. There might be a few samurai from Wano who might be on the same level as him. After all they don't leave the island and have a closed doors policy (excluding kinemon).
Old 2012-05-24, 14:16   Link #68
paradox13
zzz

Send a message via MSN to paradox13
Quote:
I wouldn't say he's number 1.
You wouldn't, but Oda did.

Old 2012-05-24, 14:18   Link #69
ellifeedn
Thinker

I have two questions: 1) Does that slime creature emit a poisonous gas of some sort? Those two centaur went down because of something. 2) Didn't Zoro have something called "sakki"?
Old 2012-05-24, 15:00   Link #70
marvelB

^Can't really be certain for that first question (though yes, I think it's poison myself), but as far as the second one goes.... well, "sakki" means bloodlust in Japanese if memory serves me right. And so far, we've had no indication that "bloodlust" can be lumped into the same category as "ambition".....
Old 2012-05-24, 15:17   Link #71
holypanl
Well Rounded Critic

1. It's likely that the slime monster is a controlled emission of gas from Caesar. Whether or not the gas or amalgam of gases he secreted to give it form are deadly, or just suppressants of one kind or another is another question.

2. I don't pay attention to irrelevant uninteresting characters like Centaurs and the two giant assassins whose names I've already forgotten. That's MarvelB's domain -- making a large fuss over plot-excess characters.

Right now what piques my interest most of all, as I assume it does everyone else's is exactly how Law can use Caesar to compromise the position of any of the Yonkou. While there are of course, yet unrevealed ties between lots of the characters in the plot, even so, the only currently relevant links between Caesar and anyone are the ones between Caesar, Vegapunk, Gorousei (possible, speculative, unconfirmed) and the Fleet Commander of the Marines (again, unconfirmed, speculative).

At present, cursory surmising seems to yield:

1. Law trades Caesar in to the Marines or directly to the World Gov't/Gorousei for some form of leverage. If trading to the marines, he may be seeking further trust or autonomy. If to the World Gov't, he may know that the WG wants information from Caesar based on some long passed event.

2. Law takes over the Punk Hazard facility for his own use, or to extract one or more assets such as research, chemicals or blueprints; information is a possibility as well.

3. Another Yonkou has an interest in Caesar, and Law intends to give Caesar in to that Yonkou as tribute so he can move as a silo within territory owned by that Yonkou, and organize one or more activities to marshal leverage.

More importantly, which of the other Supernovas have also been working on positioning themselves to weaken and usurp power from a Yonkou? Which Yonkou are under the most focus? It seems like there is a bit of a hint that the current Emperor tetrad is actually sitting under a Damocle's Sword in a way. Oda has stated in no uncertain terms that this is the "Worst Generation" that has been seen in years, and that they have been doing outrageous things that have never been seen before.

The era itself is highly volatile. The World Government is feeling more and more as if it must bare its fangs. Impel Down, Marine HQ and Enies' Lobby have all three been weathered. And then, Whitebeard fell. Wild, hungry new pirates renowned for being the most mercurial generation in years, all smelling blood: the Yonkou left behind by the previous generation.

Hundreds of new lands left open for reign by the first taker due to Whitebeard's death, hundreds of places to hide and accumulate power and resources. Then take the fact that at least one other Supernova has been confirmed to be uncaringly directly aggressing at least one Yonkou: Kidd.

The whole situation is volatile right now. I don't think that the upcoming Yonkou fight will be in any way an isolated skirmish. It seems that many parties, even ones who don't seem at all related have keen interests to safeguard in newly churning war. From a very hopeful standpoint, I yearn to see Oda make maximal use of this high tension pre-war stage.

Cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war! \o/

First they went for communists: and I didn't speak out, not being a communist;
Then they came for trade unionists, and I said naught because I wasn't a trade unionist;
Then they came for the Jews: and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew;

Then they came for me!
...and there was no one left to speak out for me.
Old 2012-05-24, 15:19   Link #72
Darmill

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlex View Post
Oh yeah - about Shanks - he's one of the strongest *swordsmen* in the world. If anyone of the Straw Hats should have a match with him it should be Zoro...
Zoro (to Shanks): I have no interest in challenging an one-armed man like you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
Does that slime creature emit a poisonous gas of some sort? Those two centaur went down because of something.
It probably does. If it turns out to be true then I'll call it the upgraded version over Magellan's Venom Demon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
^Can't really be certain for that first question (though yes, I think it's poison myself), but as far as the second one goes.... well, "sakki" means bloodlust in Japanese if memory serves me right. And so far, we've had no indication that "bloodlust" can be lumped into the same category as "ambition".....
That's right. Sakki means “murderous atmosphere” accompanied by a furious look which prevails thirst for blood, so it has something to do with murderous intention caused by anger while haki doesn't necessarily to have to be activated through outburst of rage.
Old 2012-05-24, 15:37   Link #73
marvelB

^Okay, cool. Thanks for clearing that up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holypanl View Post
That's MarvelB's domain -- making a large fuss over plot-excess characters.

This seriously gave me a good chuckle. But yep, that's me all right.... the only guy who gives a crap about secondary background characters. Speaking of which, it looks like my Scotch theory is still game since we still haven't seen the giants' faces yet.

And on a somewhat related note: Come oooooon, Foxy ministory.....
Old 2012-05-24, 15:39   Link #74
holypanl
Well Rounded Critic

An interesting video of real-life Sakki sensors using their awareness of other peoples' Sakki to avoid injury: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-GidagO6C8

--------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darmill
It probably does. If it turns out to be true then I'll call it the upgraded version over Magellan's Venom Demon.
If Magellan's Hydra struck you, you would die just as efficiently as if Caesar's slime pet did, assuming the toxin used by either aggressor was meant to kill quickly. The only way in which Caesar surpasses Magellan naturally is that his fruit is Logia. But Magellan is resistant, if not immune to poison, and Caesar may be too. It's not unlikely that Magellan could, if needed create a larger than previously seen Hydra.

Don't forget that he was operating within an enclosed space for all of his screentime.

EDIT: @ MarvelB: lol -_-'

Then they came for trade unionists, and I said naught because I wasn't a trade unionist;

Then they came for me!
Old 2012-05-24, 16:48   Link #75
Darmill

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
^Okay, cool. Thanks for clearing that up.
No prob. But I can only explain kanji (like sakki = 殺氣) as I read Chinese.

Quote:
If Magellan's Hydra struck you, you would die just as efficiently as if Caesar's slime pet did, assuming the toxin used by either aggressor was meant to kill quickly. The only way in which Caesar surpasses Magellan naturally is that his fruit is Logia. But Magellan is resistant, if not immune to poison, and Caesar may be too. It's not unlikely that Magellan could, if needed create a larger than previously seen Hydra.

Don't forget that he was operating within an enclosed space for all of his screentime.
What we know so far from Magellan is that he doesn't release toxic gas. So I consider Slime an even more threatening creature than Venom Demon as Slime also poisons the air besides it's obvious deadly slime body. An invisible enemy (toxic gas) is much more trouble than a visible one (venomous slime). The size doesn't really matter.
Old 2012-05-24, 16:55   Link #76
Kona
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradox13 View Post
You wouldn't, but Oda did.

Yeah Mihawk being stronger than samurai who devote their lives to the sword makes sense. When's the last time we saw a samurai leave the island? Kinemon doesn't count and Ryuuma is old :rolleyes.
Old 2012-05-24, 16:56   Link #77
Bern-san

That picture of Law and Chopper... I just died.
Really loved this chapter with Law's reactions to SH's antics. Will Law return Smo-chan and Tashigi to their own bodies? Which yonkou he wants to take down?
This just keeps getting more and more interesting
Old 2012-05-24, 17:04   Link #78
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:

More importantly, which of the other Supernovas have also been working on positioning themselves to weaken and usurp power from a Yonkou? Which Yonkou are under the most focus?
Well Drake was ticking off Kaidou before the 2 yrs.

Kid, we just got news capture one of Big Mama treasure ships.
Old 2012-05-24, 17:22   Link #79
holypanl
Well Rounded Critic

@Darmill: Don't forget that Magellan was able to release fumes from his mouth, and he was able to blur Luffy's vision using a variant form of tear gas, either :|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kona View Post
Yeah Mihawk being stronger than samurai who devote their lives to the sword makes sense. When's the last time we saw a samurai leave the island? Kinemon doesn't count and Ryuuma is old :rolleyes.
http://ihasahotdog.files.wordpress.c...ust-stupid.jpg

> Writer introduces a character.
> Writer acclaims character repeatedly as strongest swordsman in story.
> Writer demonstrates character's prowess by paralleling character with a Yonkou.
> Writer sets up one of the strongest main protagonists' primary goal to be defeating this character.
> Writer knows more about the story than the reader.

Reader: "Samurai are stronger than Mihawk!!!1234"

Then they came for me!

Last edited by holypanl; 2012-05-24 at 17:34.
Old 2012-05-24, 17:26   Link #80
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

OMG I just realized I haven't said it this chapter!

Happy Harpy for New Nakama!
Closed Thread