AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-11-25, 02:34   Link #2321
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Same goes for her birth date, right?
That's a good question...
Old 2010-11-25, 03:46   Link #2322
moncikoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
Well, we don't REALLY know how old Sheryl is in 2059... She SAYS she's 17, but who knows, really?
could be 23
Old 2010-11-25, 03:51   Link #2323
magnuskn

Quote:
Well, we don't REALLY know how old Sheryl is in 2059... She SAYS she's 17, but who knows, really?
Well, if you want to go for total relativism, be my guest, but I prefer to stay with the information given to us, which is that she is 17 during the series.
Old 2010-11-25, 04:03   Link #2324
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Well, if you want to go for total relativism, be my guest, but I prefer to stay with the information given to us, which is that she is 17 during the series.
I'm not being relativistic, I'm going by the Macross F Official Fan Book, which gives her age as "nominally" or "self-professed"("koushou," 公称 ) 17. It doesn't say that for any of the other characters.

I believe other sources have backed this up as well, but I don't have them handy right now.
Old 2010-11-25, 08:54   Link #2325
magnuskn

Quote:
I'm not being relativistic, I'm going by the Macross F Official Fan Book, which gives her age as "nominally" or "self-professed"("koushou," 公称 ) 17. It doesn't say that for any of the other characters.

I believe other sources have backed this up as well, but I don't have them handy right now.
Hm, okay, I remember that now and you are right. Although I think 24 years old is a wild exaggeration ( and would mean she was really robbing the cradle with Alto ).
Old 2010-11-25, 09:29   Link #2326
John117xCortana

Sheryl has no real reason to lie about her age. Other than to get a reaction out of Alto.
Old 2010-11-25, 11:23   Link #2327
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Hm, okay, I remember that now and you are right. Although I think 24 years old is a wild exaggeration ( and would mean she was really robbing the cradle with Alto ).
Yeah...24 would be stretching it. 20 or 21, though, I could believe.
Old 2010-11-25, 12:11   Link #2328
moncikoma

Hmmm for a french... I think she's around 18-19...
Old 2010-11-25, 15:27   Link #2329
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by John117xCortana View Post
Sheryl has no real reason to lie about her age. Other than to get a reaction out of Alto.
Hello! Idols are not supposed to be old, mate.

Old 2010-11-25, 15:33   Link #2330
Dash_Hunter

I still think Sheryl is 17 years old.

The thing about her being older or doubting her age is a gag related with SDF Macross, because if we go by the characters, Alto and Hikaru have the same age when the series start, the same goes with Ranka and Minmay, but if Sheryl is the equivalent of Misa the rule doesn't applies because Misa is 19 and Sheryl 17, that's why they put her age as "nominally" and in one of the books (i don't remember which) the add that the reporters think she's 19 (Misa's age).

Well at least that's what i read somewhere, other possibility is that since Sheryl does not even remember her mother's face maybe she doesn't know when it's her birthday, in that case Grace should know, because she was working with Mao when the photograph of the newborn Sheryl arrived, maybe Grace told Sheryl to say that she is 17.

Anyway, as I said i think she is 17 but if she is older i think she should be 19 at most.
Old 2010-11-25, 16:54   Link #2331
Swampstorm
Lovestruck Fool
*Fansubber

Well, depending how old Sheryl was when she lost her parents and the circumstances under which it happened, she might not still have official birth records like the others do, to begin with.
Old 2010-11-25, 16:54   Link #2332
pinoy78
Yahk, DECULTURE!

Has Sheryl been showing up in the latest Newtype polls?
Old 2010-11-25, 17:22   Link #2333
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoy78 View Post
Has Sheryl been showing up in the latest Newtype polls?
Yeah, she dropped off once three months ago, but was back the next month.
Old 2010-12-02, 15:04   Link #2334
SoFarGone
H.A.M.

First time posting in the Macross section. Just wondering what Sheryl's popularity in Japan compare to Ranka?
Old 2010-12-02, 15:16   Link #2335
moncikoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFarGone View Post
First time posting in the Macross section. Just wondering what Sheryl's popularity in Japan compare to Ranka?
sheryl survived at top 10 in newtype pools for years....
sheryl sells more than ranka...in products such as figure, artbook, and album
sheryl is more popular..
Old 2010-12-02, 15:51   Link #2336
Lancel

I've seen a few weird things with Sheryl's popularity. I remember during the series itself Sheryl was not really that popular, and polls actually favored Ranka most of the time. One poll even broke down the vote spread into the voter's country of origin using their IP Address and noted an interesting trend in that Sheryl was actually very popular in the United States, much more so than Ranka, while Ranka was generally more popular in the rest of the world. I believe the overall results were largely even, maybe with a slight Ranka lead. I recall reading some hilarious comments about Americans only liking Sheryl more because of her boobs.

Shame I don't still have the link. It was a loooong time ago that I saw this.

Since the end of the series though Sheryl's popularity has... I don't know if I'd say it went up but it just seemed to linger. I think usually these things are just flash in the pan, series runs, ends, and as long as nothing new happens they fall off pretty quick. Sheryl just didn't fall off that much. There was a New Type poll not too long ago that went picked the best female characters of basically all time, and I recall the editors were shocked when they saw Sheryl made the list despite being relatively new blood. One poll even listed her immediately after Minmei.

Anyway, that's all the random trivia in my head on the subject. I should really find the links to this stuff, as I hate posting hearsay, but eh, kinda lazy.
Old 2010-12-02, 17:13   Link #2337
moncikoma

Nice info, I noticed too at first ranka is more popular with her gimmick and influance in anime industry...
But sheryl catch up, with her new costume and icon in utahime movie...that's what make her more popular now,

as for the newtype most fav of all time, I think it happened because ..
Macross frontier is the revival of its series.+ an important anime that brings a new anime booming songs in japan... With its music's and great charachter, that's why sheryl got chosen as number 3 or 7? I forgot..

She will always be remembered as the NO 2 most popular Diva after hatsune miku in 2008 until 2020
Old 2010-12-02, 18:03   Link #2338
Lancel

Quote:
Originally Posted by moncikoma View Post
Nice info, I noticed too at first ranka is more popular with her gimmick and influance in anime industry...
But sheryl catch up, with her new costume and icon in utahime movie...that's what make her more popular now,

as for the newtype most fav of all time, I think it happened because ..
Macross frontier is the revival of its series.+ an important anime that brings a new anime booming songs in japan... With its music's and great charachter, that's why sheryl got chosen as number 3 or 7? I forgot..

She will always be remembered as the NO 2 most popular Diva after hatsune miku in 2008 until 2020
I think it was both. #3 for her decade and #7 overall. Something like that anyway.
Old 2010-12-02, 19:27   Link #2339
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancel View Post
I've seen a few weird things with Sheryl's popularity. I remember during the series itself Sheryl was not really that popular, and polls actually favored Ranka most of the time. One poll even broke down the vote spread into the voter's country of origin using their IP Address and noted an interesting trend in that Sheryl was actually very popular in the United States, much more so than Ranka, while Ranka was generally more popular in the rest of the world. I believe the overall results were largely even, maybe with a slight Ranka lead. I recall reading some hilarious comments about Americans only liking Sheryl more because of her boobs.
Well, that is contrary to everything I observed during the show. As far as I remember it, from my own memory and things said by people who were following other countries messageboards, Sheryl took the lead in popularity at about episode five or six and never looked back. There never was a real parity in popularity for Ranka afterwards and during the last episodes of the series, Ranka had a severe anti-fanbase.
Old 2010-12-02, 20:02   Link #2340
Lancel

Quote:
Well, that is contrary to everything I observed during the show. As far as I remember it, from my own memory and things said by people who were following other countries messageboards, Sheryl took the lead in popularity at about episode five or six and never looked back. There never was a real parity in popularity for Ranka afterwards and during the last episodes of the series, Ranka had a severe anti-fanbase.
That's not contrary, that's just a time stamp correction. Besides, it might just be statistics of one group of fans versus another. I don't know if anyone save NewType can make a judgment on the entire fan base's preferences.
Closed Thread

Tags
characters