AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-04-28, 06:12   Link #1
scalate

Online Visual Novel?

Is there such a thing as an online visual novel? Something that allows you to meet real people? Would you play it if there was?
scalate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-28, 06:24   Link #2
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Meeting real people? Sure, they're called MUD's and are actually the oldest type of MMO games out there.

If you mean copying everything that makes a visual novel though... no. That'd be rather hard to do, since you have to chose between reading a story or playing a story.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-28, 06:26   Link #3
Aesthetic Shampoo

So what, you read to each other or something?
Aesthetic Shampoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-28, 06:58   Link #4
scalate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Meeting real people? Sure, they're called MUD's and are actually the oldest type of MMO games out there.

If you mean copying everything that makes a visual novel though... no. That'd be rather hard to do, since you have to chose between reading a story or playing a story.
I don't mean MUDs. I mean full-blown visual novels. Can you lead me to any MUD with high quality backgrounds, sprites, and music?

Doesn't everyone "play" visual novels? I don't see how it's a problem.
Old 2012-04-28, 06:59   Link #5
scalate

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssTEss View Post
So what, you read to each other or something?
No, there are points in the game where you meet another person online, so instead of hitting on NPCs, you can try your luck with real girls.
Old 2012-04-28, 07:13   Link #6
Honoakari
Lurking Member

Facts:

- VNs are singleplayer.
- VNs are made by the Japanese for the Japanese, so even if a multiplayer VN gets invented one day the foreigners might not be able play it.
- Most VNs come with ero content, so most girls won't touch them.

Now what was this thread about again?
Old 2012-04-28, 07:59   Link #7
Zenemis
Megabuddy
*IT Support

What tha' heck is this?

Just use an online dating site if you're so inclined?
Old 2012-04-28, 08:04   Link #8
scalate

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.D. View Post
Facts:

- VNs are singleplayer.
- VNs are made by the Japanese for the Japanese, so even if a multiplayer VN gets invented one day the foreigners might not be able play it.
- Most VNs come with ero content, so most girls won't touch them.

Now what was this thread about again?
- Nothing's stopping VNs from going multiplayer. It only takes the right execution.
- There's a healthy market for English visual novels.
- You'll be surprised. A survey confirmed most girls will actually be interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenemis View Post
What tha' heck is this?

Just use an online dating site if you're so inclined?
Too many pervs on dating sites, and with visual novels your choices could be a good basis for finding the perfect match for you.

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2012-04-29 at 15:19.
Old 2012-04-28, 08:24   Link #9
HasuMasu
*Artist

I have no idea how this would be possible, but it's interesting enough.
Old 2012-04-28, 09:01   Link #10
Honoakari
Lurking Member

Quote:
- Nothing's stopping VNs from going multiplayer. It only takes the right execution.
- There's a healthy market for English visual novels.
- You'll be surprised. A survey confirmed most girls will actually be interested.
- If you say so...
- Are you talking about small flies like Mangagamer and JAST USA?
- Link please.
Old 2012-04-28, 11:22   Link #11
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

..........So.....how's the storyline going to be like?

Might as well use MSN or something?

Quote:
VNs are made by the Japanese for the Japanese,

Doesn't stop plenty of people outside Japan from playing though :P
Old 2012-04-28, 11:49   Link #12
Sobonok

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalate View Post
Is there such a thing as an online visual novel? Something that allows you to meet real people? Would you play it if there was?
Sentou Gakuen takes the persona of an Online Visual Novel. While I feel it's more orchestrated towards a browser game then that. If you mean a visual novel actually developed by a company. There's none that I know of.

Last edited by Sobonok; 2012-04-28 at 12:06.
Sobonok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-28, 12:45   Link #13
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalate View Post
I don't mean MUDs. I mean full-blown visual novels. Can you lead me to any MUD with high quality backgrounds, sprites, and music?

Doesn't everyone "play" visual novels? I don't see how it's a problem.
By playing I mean you tell a story rather than following the one in the novel. Imagine for a moment you play a VN as you usually do, then you encounter another players as you describe. What then? How would you even know it's another player? Visual novels tell you a story, but your input is rather limited. Even if you encounter another player, there's not much you could do interactively.

Unless you go the roleplaying route, where the story is created by the players themselves with far less input from the novel. Every line spoken and every description made would be done by players.

Point is, visual novels are going to have to borrow from other game types. As their name implies, visual novels are novels. Books. Stories to read. They are a singleplayer experience at their very core, and changing that would mean changes in the visual novel mechanics aplenty. The above mentioned game for example borrows a lot from standard browser MMO's.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-28, 20:37   Link #14
scalate

Sentou Gakuen is more like a browser game, and you help me with this, there WILL be a full-pledged online visual novel in the market, so your feedback is much appreciated.

MSN won't be an alternative because this is a VN with all the gripping stories and characters packaged, only there will be parts where the other character's decisions will be made by another real person, opening up a slew of possibilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
By playing I mean you tell a story rather than following the one in the novel. Imagine for a moment you play a VN as you usually do, then you encounter another players as you describe. What then? How would you even know it's another player? Visual novels tell you a story, but your input is rather limited. Even if you encounter another player, there's not much you could do interactively.

Unless you go the roleplaying route, where the story is created by the players themselves with far less input from the novel. Every line spoken and every description made would be done by players.

Point is, visual novels are going to have to borrow from other game types. As their name implies, visual novels are novels. Books. Stories to read. They are a singleplayer experience at their very core, and changing that would mean changes in the visual novel mechanics aplenty. The above mentioned game for example borrows a lot from standard browser MMO's.
Yes, you will be following a story but you still have control because your choices decide the outcomes. It's easy how to know if the character is another player - we will indicate it somehow.

You're true about interaction, but having two players coming from different sides of the story both make decisions is going to open up immense possibilities as far as the story is concerned. The objective of the game could be more of a dating one, so arks will be tailored around capturing your personality and matching you with compatible partners.

Changing visual novels and maybe even the way people read books is a tough undertaking, but it would be great if that happened, don't you think?

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2012-04-29 at 15:18.
Old 2012-04-29, 02:43   Link #15
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Actually having a multiplayer eroge sounds like a good idea.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-29, 06:17   Link #16
Thany
Unfair

Multiplayer-eroges exist already, Priget (only the "goods" info is nsfw, though some of the princesses have very sexy-looking clothes) is a good example. F2P browser MMO where you fight monsters, befriend princesses and more!
Old 2012-04-29, 10:05   Link #17
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thany View Post
Multiplayer-eroges exist already, Priget (only the "goods" info is nsfw, though some of the princesses have very sexy-looking clothes) is a good example. F2P browser MMO where you fight monsters, befriend princesses and more!
Nonono, I was talking about chasing girls being part of the multiplayer element, where you get to chase girls/guys and have another chase you at the same time, either NPC or RLP.

Sounds good to chase a lesbian female player chasing another female player, and having the additional route to get them both at the same time, eh?

OFC there must be a rule to make it an ingame offence to ban male characters from chasing another male character.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-29, 14:38   Link #18
Thany
Unfair

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Nonono, I was talking about chasing girls being part of the multiplayer element, where you get to chase girls/guys and have another chase you at the same time, either NPC or RLP.

Sounds good to chase a lesbian female player chasing another female player, and having the additional route to get them both at the same time, eh?

OFC there must be a rule to make it an ingame offence to ban male characters from chasing another male character.
ERP works on normal mmos as well
This one is closer to what OP meant I think because:
1) It's played online and you can interact with others players
2) You can meet and date princesses (by about 25 or so different artists)
3) RPG elements
Old 2012-04-29, 15:46   Link #19
Jaden

I think any game where you have to deal with real people would be the anti-thesis of visual novels. I don't think it's possible to mix multiplayer and VN in any meaningful way. It'd be like an FPS with levels where you go on a 20 mile march just to get a bomb dropped on you in the end, or not seeing any combat at all. :P
Old 2012-04-30, 09:52   Link #20
Linkark07
Yokoso Gypsy

I can't possibly imagine how an online visual novel would work.
Linkark07 is offline   Reply With Quote